Need help with the en suite for the master
ssmith027
We are remodeling the master bath and closet and we are having some problems with the layout. It is kind of an awkward space. We would like to fit a separate tub and shower in the space, but I'm not sure if it is possible. Everything is down to the bare studs and the basement is unfinished, and I've talked to a buddy who is a contractor about it, so we can do whatever we want with the plumbing.

The first image is the current layout. The second is the layout if we take out the wall that was the old bathroom. The third puts the tub and shower in the same glass enclosure like this: Elemental Design, LLC. The last is the only other idea I've been able to come up with.

I'm definitely not a designer, so I'm welcome to ideas. We like the look of a free standing tub, but it's not a must. We would also like to have dual shower heads.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

suzanne_m
Looking at your first floor plan, you placed the door on the the 10'12" but on your other layouts, the door is at different locations. Can you tell us where door can go or where it cannot go? Do you have any windows in this space? On which walls are they?
0 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 9:53PM
Not crazy about the long and narrow toilet 'room' in either option.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 5:41AM
ssmith027
I never thought about turning the tub that way, I'll have to do the measurements and see how it fits. Thank you.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 8:07AM
ssmith027
Suzanne, the door is in the same place on the entry. I was in a hurry when I made these, so I could've messed up. The door is already there. It could be moved if I tore down the wall between the bedroom and bathroom. The wall is 10'11" long. There is 2'4" to the left of the door, a 30" opening, and 6'1" to the right. There are no windows in the room.

There is another door in the back that goes to what I had planned on having as the closet.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 8:14AM
suzanne_m
Thanks. Ok. Now I see it better. It was 3 am when I looked at your layout and I guess I was tired. So the image you have posted is the space you have for your bathroom and WIC. I suppose, we could change the shape of your bathroom if we relocate your WIC with-in the the floor plan shown in the first image, right?
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 8:28AM
ssmith027
Yeah, that's why I decided to post it with the closet, in case it worked better by moving the closet.
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 8:44AM
suzanne_m
Do you have outside walls? What is the minimum linear ft you would be ok with in your closet? Does it have to be walk-in? Can it be accessed from the bedroom only?
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 10:09AM
suzanne_m
I am not sure at all if this could work. I put a 2'-4" door on a wall that I don't know if you can and I made the closet accessed from the bedroom.
0 Likes   Thanked by ssmith027    April 28, 2014 at 12:18PM
ssmith027
The outside walls are on the top and right. I've never really thought about how much space, I know my wife would like it as large as possible, but it just needs to be a decent size, nothing so small that it hurts resale value. It can only be accessed from the bedroom.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 12:31PM
ssmith027
That design looks great, I just can't put the entry where it is.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 12:34PM
suzanne_m
Has the door to be only on the bottom wall or can it be on the 6'-11" wall?
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 12:45PM
ssmith027
It has to be on the bottom wall
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 12:54PM
suzanne_m
On this one, I moved the green wall by 7 in. to have a 36 in. wide toilet area. I don't know if you can move that wall:
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 6:32PM
suzanne_m
This one gives you a cabinet where you can hang clothes. It gives you 3'-10" extra hanging space compared to the one above. Again the wall has been pushed by 7 in. I should have mentioned that on the layout above, you have the option to push the top wall of the toilet instead of the bottom wall if it is easier.

I also drew of one of the plans you posted with a change on the toilet door and I tried to make the closet deeper wherever I could. It is really hard to see and grab clothes in a tight area.

I must say between the one above and the 2 below, my preference is the one above because you have some walls to mount towel bars.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 9:09PM
suzanne_m
I am not sure if you can have a pocket door entering into an outside wall, so put the tub in an angle. It gave me some room to move the vanity and make the toilet area bigger. This allowed to slide the pocket door on the other wall. And bonus, it looks nicer :)

One thing I should mentioned but I don't know for sure since I don't have a tub and shower in the same enclosure at home but I heard that it might be hard to get it warm. It is something to check.

BTW, I forgot ... you can add a towel bar on the shower door :)
1 Like   Thanked by ssmith027    April 28, 2014 at 9:39PM
ssmith027
Those designs look amazing! Thank you so much!
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 8:55AM
suzanne_m
Please, double check the measurements. It seems that the first image you posted has slightly different measurements than your third layout. The software I am using draws walls 4 in. thick. The standard for a wall is 4 1/2 in. thick. This means you need to add 1/2 in. on the walls behind the door and between the closet and the shower.

Which floor plan do you prefer?
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 9:32AM
ssmith027
I will double check, the software I used was a pain and would jump a bit.

I really like the first one and the last one. I'll show my wife tonight and see what she likes best.
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 9:34AM
Need help with Master en suite
Dilemma 1: In my master bathroom, the previous homeowner...
hovep01
Need help for my Master Bathroom en-suite layout
Hello Houzz Community! I would appreciate some tips...
Captain B
Need help with en-suite for master bedroom!! Please
Right now, it a narrow walk-in path through the en-suite...
paawani
Need help designing my en-suite bathroom
My bathroom is long and narrow and I am really struggling...
heidsvdberg
need help.for very small guests en suite
Hi, Could you please tell me the dimensions of the...
nancybon
Need Ideas
I would like to get ideas for a glass block walk in...
fisherlady53
Need help deciding where to locate a gas log fireplace.
I am thinking either at the very end of the house in...
ltrnmom
now what?
My new house is so empty. What else can I do here?
skp0001
Kitchen remodeling
My sister just moved bought a house which already has...
melmelia
Kitchen Floor "Brazilian Green" Porcelain Tile?
I'm trying to decide if I want to change the tile on...
diyher