Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssmith027

Need help with the en suite for the master

ssmith027
9 years ago
We are remodeling the master bath and closet and we are having some problems with the layout. It is kind of an awkward space. We would like to fit a separate tub and shower in the space, but I'm not sure if it is possible. Everything is down to the bare studs and the basement is unfinished, and I've talked to a buddy who is a contractor about it, so we can do whatever we want with the plumbing.

The first image is the current layout. The second is the layout if we take out the wall that was the old bathroom. The third puts the tub and shower in the same glass enclosure like this:
Elemental Design, LLC · More Info
The last is the only other idea I've been able to come up with.

I'm definitely not a designer, so I'm welcome to ideas. We like the look of a free standing tub, but it's not a must. We would also like to have dual shower heads.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Comments (18)

• suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Looking at your first floor plan, you placed the door on the the 10'12" but on your other layouts, the door is at different locations. Can you tell us where door can go or where it cannot go? Do you have any windows in this space? On which walls are they?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Not crazy about the long and narrow toilet 'room' in either option.
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I never thought about turning the tub that way, I'll have to do the measurements and see how it fits. Thank you.
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Suzanne, the door is in the same place on the entry. I was in a hurry when I made these, so I could've messed up. The door is already there. It could be moved if I tore down the wall between the bedroom and bathroom. The wall is 10'11" long. There is 2'4" to the left of the door, a 30" opening, and 6'1" to the right. There are no windows in the room.

There is another door in the back that goes to what I had planned on having as the closet.
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Thanks. Ok. Now I see it better. It was 3 am when I looked at your layout and I guess I was tired. So the image you have posted is the space you have for your bathroom and WIC. I suppose, we could change the shape of your bathroom if we relocate your WIC with-in the the floor plan shown in the first image, right?
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yeah, that's why I decided to post it with the closet, in case it worked better by moving the closet.
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Do you have outside walls? What is the minimum linear ft you would be ok with in your closet? Does it have to be walk-in? Can it be accessed from the bedroom only?
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    I am not sure at all if this could work. I put a 2'-4" door on a wall that I don't know if you can and I made the closet accessed from the bedroom.
    ssmith027 thanked suzanne_m
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The outside walls are on the top and right. I've never really thought about how much space, I know my wife would like it as large as possible, but it just needs to be a decent size, nothing so small that it hurts resale value. It can only be accessed from the bedroom.
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That design looks great, I just can't put the entry where it is.
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Has the door to be only on the bottom wall or can it be on the 6'-11" wall?
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It has to be on the bottom wall
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    On this one, I moved the green wall by 7 in. to have a 36 in. wide toilet area. I don't know if you can move that wall:
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    This one gives you a cabinet where you can hang clothes. It gives you 3'-10" extra hanging space compared to the one above. Again the wall has been pushed by 7 in. I should have mentioned that on the layout above, you have the option to push the top wall of the toilet instead of the bottom wall if it is easier.

I also drew of one of the plans you posted with a change on the toilet door and I tried to make the closet deeper wherever I could. It is really hard to see and grab clothes in a tight area.

I must say between the one above and the 2 below, my preference is the one above because you have some walls to mount towel bars.
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Those designs look amazing! Thank you so much!
  • suzanne_m
    9 years ago
    Please, double check the measurements. It seems that the first image you posted has slightly different measurements than your third layout. The software I am using draws walls 4 in. thick. The standard for a wall is 4 1/2 in. thick. This means you need to add 1/2 in. on the walls behind the door and between the closet and the shower.

Which floor plan do you prefer?
  • ssmith027
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will double check, the software I used was a pain and would jump a bit.

I really like the first one and the last one. I'll show my wife tonight and see what she likes best.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH