Need Guideance for Design Center and New Home
Fern Dahlstrom
We're building a new home in the SF bay area and are about to head to the design center to choose counter tops and flooring. We will have med. brown cabinets which are one of the standard choices. They're chocolate but not the dark espresso. We need your thoughts on type of flooring to go with our current decor which is all pretty warm tones. (Shown below.)

We are keeping existing sofa, tables, area rug and dining table (for the foreseeable future). The dining table will be in the kitchen in the new home and the family room is just outside the kitchen. (It's a great room really.) The kitchen will have an island and perimeter counters. Two pendant lights will be above the island in frosted, white glass (the only choice for now).

We'd like feedback on colors and textures for granite, backsplash and type of floors. We were thinking acacia, hand scraped all downstairs except for parlor which will be an office. (Carpet in that rm.) Also, what about paint? General thoughts and feedback are appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Fern Dahlstrom
Here is the floor plan if that helps. Thanks much!
0 Likes   April 27, 2014 at 9:31PM
I don't have any specific recommendations other than suggesting you stay in the warm neutrals, but I mostly want to say I love your fun, eclectic style!
3 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 27, 2014 at 11:10PM
I love the light and bright colours you have in your rooms.
It all depends on orientation and light in your new place, but I was thinking of a lighter hardwood flooring such as oak plank which is in keeping with your style. I think handscraped acacia might be too dark and you don't want to 'match' your furniture to the wood at the risk of making it too matchy matchy.

I rather like the idea of suggesting a bright yellow or pink backsplash for your kitchen, but that might be a folly too far for you (although you do seem to like colour)
2 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 12:08AM
chookchook2
I would take a milky coffee from your rug, for bench tops, but not get anything busy.
3 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 12:13AM
Fern Dahlstrom
Oh! I do have some materials/colors saved to ideas books if you want to check them out. Thanks so much!
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 6:11AM
Fern Dahlstrom
groveraxle, I never knew I had an eclectic style and appreciate the kind feedback instead of saying I'm a mess, lol.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 6:20AM
I pulled this photo from your ideabook, and it's clear from this and your furnishings above that you love color, like fun and funky, and have no fear when it comes to decor.

Therefore, let me give you one other piece of general advice: think of your permanent finishes--walls, counters, backsplash--as the backdrop for your fabulous finds. That wonderful pink/yellow/blue rug will lose its pop on a busy floor. The backsplashes in your ideabook will overwhelm the gorgeous vintage canisters you're going to find on your next visit to the thrift store. The plants you've lovingly tended will disappear against a busy granite.

In other words, think neutral and simple for the backdrop, so you can indulge your passion for wild curtains and pillows and rugs and color everywhere.
5 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 6:59AM
armygirl1987
Agree with grover, make sure that you keep your funky side. I love your rug.
1 Like   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 7:01AM
Fern Dahlstrom
Funny because I used to be afraid of color. My previous homes were all cream and neutral. I am enjoying color more and more these days.
2 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 7:29AM
Fern, you have a great sense of style, but you have to be a little careful here because it's easy to tip from eclectic to mishmash. Your furniture, the rug, the gallery wall, the yellow chairs--they all work because you have a totally neutral backdrop of walls and floors.

On the other side of the room where the plants are, you are edging a bit toward clutter, and if you were staying here, I would encourage you to edit and rearrange. The plants are a bit crowded, there's a picture between the windows that's too large and still disappears, there are a few too many photos on that fabulous dresser... But all will find their proper places in your new space.

I will encourage you to buy one new (or funky recycled) piece of furniture after you move: a media console or cabinet that is about twice as long as your TV. This may be one of my pet peeves, but big TVs on small consoles always look top-heavy to me.
2 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 10:43AM
Fern Dahlstrom
Groveraxle- Totally agree about the clutter. (I love framed photos too much.) Appreciate the candid feedback. (Current home is a temporary rental so we're a little squished into 1700 sq. feet.)

The hope chest the TV is on was given to my mom by my dad in the 60s and my husband refinished it and changed knobs. I am not in love with it but don't know where to put it and would hate to get ride of it. Sigh. In the new house I am not sure it will have a spot other then the garage...

We will have the TV on the wall in the new home and may put the hand painted dresser underneath. The media console is a perfect suggestion and appreciated.
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 10:52AM
anne dee
You are receiving great suggestions!
here a a couple of inspiration pics showing a white kitchen and a dark kitchen
Hopefully this could be helpful for comparison value.
Notice "simple and neutral" for the back drop.
Check out the wooden dog holding the fruit in the 2nd pic. ;-)

JBM DESIGNS LLC
Colorful Traditional
2 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 11:29AM
bgfuqua
I'm with groveraxle. go light and neutral - beige and off white - then have fun. be sure to keep the wonderful look you have. hope you can find a spot for the hope chest.
1 Like   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 11:44AM
Maybe the hope chest becomes a bench at the foot of the bed.
3 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 5:31PM
duffy2009
Let me just add that I too love your style. You are getting sound advice about your new house. I am a totally white-wall person so I admire people who are good with color. Have fun with your new house. Be certain to post pictures. Ciao.
1 Like   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 28, 2014 at 8:21PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Here is our first choice combo for the kitchen from the trip to the design center today. (Now going with winter white cabinets!) Going to see the slab to verify colors are accurate. Granite is Solarius. Emser amber glass mosaic backsplash. Wood is Millstone Pacific Pecan-Roasted Pecan engineered. All within budget as well which we liked.

I think all the brightness in the granite will really pop with the light cabinets and still balance with darker floors. Nothing too crazy with the backsplash yet still elegant and rich looking. (IMO anyway.)
0 Likes   April 28, 2014 at 10:15PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Here is backup choice. Lapidus granite with honey glass backsplash. Same Pecan wood and cabinets.
1 Like   April 28, 2014 at 10:17PM
All your color choices work well. I love the floors and backsplash choices, have concerns about the granite and the cabinets. Both granites are very busy and I believe you will tire of them quickly. And the cabinets (sorry to say) look dated already.

Do you have any other choices?
SILESTONE - Stellar Night
Custom Concrete Countertops
Shaker Cabinet Doors, Antique White
White Shaker Kitchen Cabinets Home Design
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 6:42AM
chookchook2
Agree with Grover.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 6:45AM
anne dee
white shaker kitchen cabinets and appliances in pic submitted by grover would look super in yr new space with yr colourful furniture (imho)
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 8:22AM
Fern Dahlstrom
Oh nooo!! Dated??!! Yikes. I am seeing a million kitchens on Houzz with cabinets like these.

We don't have a ton of choices for cabinets. A med brown called Kaluah standard, maple standard (do not like) and dark, dark espresso (standard) which is too dark for us. The cream glazed are an upgrade. The other upgrades are the same glazed style in bright white or med brown. We really love the look with these and the model home has them and it's so light and bright with the cream glazed. I had a granite with similar movement in my last home for 8 years so I do think we will love the Solaris for years to come.

We certainly appreciate the candid feedback and suggestions. The ideas posted above do not reflect my style at all. I guess it's always hard to see or experience a tiny snippet of someone's life and try to guide them :)

In the end anything will be dated in 15 years I imagine. (Or sooner) so we just need to follow our hearts since we will be looking at the kitchen every day. At least it's not the pickled pink oak, lol.
4 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 9:57AM
anne dee
always do what you love!!............with a bit of guidance ;-)
2 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 29, 2014 at 10:34AM
It's not the cabinet color, but the door style I think looks dated. I did see a lot of cabinets like yours in your ideabook, but a classic white or off-white shaker will never go out of style. One other thing to think about: all that detailing is a huge catchall for dirt and grease.

Ultimately, I do agree with anne dee. Do what you love, but think about it carefully.
2 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:02PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Thanks groveraxle, unfortunately that's the only style of door we have to choose from in that color. We still have time to finalize everything. We will continue to think about it.
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 12:22PM
anne dee
One other thing, I hope you don't mind, to consider will be the hardware for the kitchen cabinets. That is, if you are considering hardware.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:26PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Anne, we are considering hardware after we move in. Your feedback is welcome of course. Appliances are stainless, FYI. Here's is a stinky photo of the kitchen in the model with the cabinets we chose.
2 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:30PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Another shot of model kitchen.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:31PM
anne dee
Your choice of back splash will look better than what is shown in the model house.
Let us know your options for hardware when that time comes :-)
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:50PM
eliser314
I LOVE your rug!! Where did you get it? Also, do the couches have slip covers??? Thanks
0 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    April 29, 2014 at 10:17PM
rod handler
The rug treads the fine line between horrid and cool, but it's so vibrant!
1 Like   April 29, 2014 at 10:34PM
rod handler
The big TV isn't doing the room any favors. That rug commands respect!
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 12:14AM
Fern Dahlstrom
eliser314, thanks! The rug is from www.rugsusa.com. Yes, the sofa has slipcovers that we can remove and wash. We love that! I'm sure we could always order new ones at some point if need be.
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 8:07AM
Fern Dahlstrom
rod, the next home with be less cluttered and the TV will be on the wall. (No wires and not over a fireplace :) It is bright, that's for sure. I bought it when we were moving to the rental property we are in now since it was dark and had tile floors. It's been 2 years and I think I like it. I used to be afraid of color and all our homes were super neutral creams, whites and pales colors. It's a BIG step for me to venture into colorful!
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:13AM
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:23AM
lepstein
Fern, I like your cabinet choice. I think it will look great once all is in place. Have fun!
3 Likes   Thanked by Fern Dahlstrom    May 5, 2014 at 1:00AM
jtdmisc
I love it, this is just the sort of warm happy comfortable room I want to spend time in.
0 Likes   May 6, 2014 at 7:44PM
Fern Dahlstrom
Jtdmisc, thank you so very much for the kind words! We appreciate it!
0 Likes   May 7, 2014 at 7:37AM
edithsmom
Fern, just ordered the Santa Ana Verona rug in a 5x8 from rugs usa. As groveraxle suggested for you, our walls, carpet (wall to wall in condo...ugh) and soft furniture are all neutral tans. I, too, had always played it safe when it came to colors in my living area and wardrobe. Now that I'm retired, I have enlivened my decor and clothes with bright colors. Can't wait to receive this back-ordered rug!
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 5:35PM
Need help choosing at builder's decor center for a new home
I am about to buy a new and will need help making selections...
Need help with new home plans. What is new in home design.
Hello. We are going to build a home and we have been...
Need help! Am I outdated when designing new kitchen for new home?
We are building a new home. I have chosen gold color...
Need help! We are building a new home and need some design help!
We are going for a rustic modern look. I like very...
Is my design of wet kitchen and laundry spacious and useful enough?
I worrying the followings:- 1. walkway whether spacious...
Need help decorating my fireplace and living room.
Could someone please provide some ideas on how to decorate...
how to treat wooden panel?
just brought a older home, looking for a way to refreshen...
Need advice for powder room decore
What should I do powder room ceiling lighting and vanity...