Calling the one-and-only groveraxle!! Desperate for Photoshop!

erinbonoApril 28, 2014
I've gotten so much help and input from Houzzers that I am starting a new thread for help on specifically rug and light fixture items. Houzzers ROCK! Here is where I am at now......Shopping for a Rug and Light Fixture. I have returned rugs x3 and need help from someone (groveraxle!) that can Photoshop so I can get an idea. Thank you so much! All suggestions welcome and so appreciated!!
Rina
:-). I'm going to be watching ...
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:21AM
erinbono
I have no shame..........stalking poor overworked groveraxle :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:32AM
rainymorning
Yes, the Grover is so talented. My humble suggestion is that you select a rug that does not have red in it because you already have red tones in the paint, floor and furniture. How about something with green in olive or darker tones?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 9:37AM
Cocoweb
we are happy to offer you a professional light for your artwork on the wall.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 9:51AM
erinbono
One of the 3 rugs I ordered was green/olive. Trying to add color because in my previous thread the one thing everyone agreed on was that I needed color. Kids broke the expensive camera and now am at the mercy of my tablet that takes color distorting pictures. Wish I could start all over. Too bad my other half only has one suggestion "leave it alone". Bartered a small budget for rug/light fixture. Now just have to get it right! Thank you rainymorning!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:55AM
erinbono
Here are some rugs that were suggested to me. All red tones but don't know if the red is the way to go?? I have red in the family room rug (beige/green/red) and living room rug is dark red/green. Hmmmm.....Really hoping my 4th attempt won't end up in yet another return. Desperate for photoshop!!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:07AM
rainymorning
There are a variety of colors that would work in your space. I just don't think any of them should have red or orange. Green is opposite of red on the color wheel is why I suggested it. Maybe your other rug try-outs didn't work because of the pattern. Looks like you have traditional furniture so stick with that style.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:15AM
erinbono
Thx rainymorning! Here are some lighting fixtures that appealed to me. Lighting has to be addressed stat. Think it will make a big difference. Problem is I never know if I like it until its up and I live with it for awhile. Is it ok to go with silver finish? I have one silver starburst mirror and silver doorknobs....
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:24AM
flair lighting
here you go..
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:37AM
flair lighting
2
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:39AM
flair lighting
3... this is the one i like best... i think the dark tones make you look to the ceiling too much.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:40AM
flair lighting
something with flair lol
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:43AM
OK, erinbono, I will get on it in a bit, but first two comments, then breakfast while I stroll through your ideabook, then Photoshop.

1. Can we do something about the view of the toilet from this beautiful and elegant foyer?

2. I am a huge NON-fan of the enormous mirror over the bench. (You probably know I'm not a fan of mirrors anyway, but this one seems really wrong.)

I'll be back. Could be hours, so be patient. Good things take time.
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 10:54AM
Whispar Design
:) @ groveraxle... maybe photoshop the door closed... after breakfast of course
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 11:40AM
rainymorning
I like either one of the lights with the cloth shades. I like the understated clean lines. For that area you need something large and bright. Tough picking lights out isn't it?
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:54PM
Looks like the room through the doors, in the background, is a sage green. That is the color I'd bring into the foyer.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:05PM
erinbono
groveraxle!!! Thank you so much--you are the best for responding. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Feel like I hit the jackpot!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:12PM
Why isn't the bench centered on the wall? Why do you have a tumbleweed on the floor? Tom Thumb asked for his lamp back. ;-)
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 1:13PM
erinbono
flair lighting--thank you so much! I like the 3rd one best too! Going to wait and see if there are any more opinions.....then will order tonight. Pics helped SO much :)
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:14PM
Now, erinbono, if there are any rugs in particular you want to see, post the links here and I will put them in the space.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 1:15PM
Or lamps. I'll stick those in, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:15PM
erinbono
groveraxle never fails!! Thinking I love the 3rd rug. I like the blue too--especially the stripes but I have red accents everywhere in my house and the red works best to tie all the room together.. LOL my kids burst out laughing about the "tumbleweed" Love my Orb. It's a bright yellow and adds a slight modern touch. I Hmmm....If I take another pic from the door do you think you could put the red rug in that direction?? They should start a fund where all houzzers could contribute funds to the ones the help them most. You would be able to quit your day job grover!!! Going to try a better picture angle so we can see how it looks from front door,,,,,if that is OK? PS: Love the picture grouping....but wall may look really empty from the wall? Lemme take another pic? SO excited!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:24PM
erinbono
Anyway we can put the red rug and light (1st pic you recently posted) into this picture? I know! I'm sorry I know--- I'm pushing my luck. THANK YOU!! ps: I have no idea on lamps.......sigh
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 1:49PM
erinbono
grover--is the 3rd pic (with red rug) the rug I picked? Also love the light fixture from pic #1 above......Thinking that is the one. Just need source? Thick stripe rugs have me intrigued too.....attached one in sage as well (deco's input :) 3rd one is attached because size is 6x 6 and would love to see how that size frames the space.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 2:40PM
Whispar Design
I noticed the light fixtures in the photos are different from what you originally posted? What is the ceiling height and Is the foyer fixture mainly for an accent because you do seem to have sufficient lighting with the pot lights?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 2:42PM
erinbono
Ceiling height is just standard height, per husband 8.5 feet. My husband is an electrician and we have recessed lighting in just about every room because I like to keep him busy. So yes, I guess the foyer fixture is mainly accent. Although, for some reason, ALL the lights are always on.......kids! Photoshopped pics above......I like the 3rd from flair lighting and the 1st fro groveraxle......what do you think??
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 2:48PM
Whispar Design
Okay, not that everything needs to be matchy-matchy... but are there other fixtures close by and what is the metal finish? I look at the espresso furniture and the wrought-iron stair spindles and I am thinking rubbed bronze or similar for the space. I like all the fixtures but for this space, I like groveraxles third and flair's first or second or Maybe something similar to this with the mercury glass accent in it's semi-flush state?
HGTV Veronica Semi-Flush / Pendant · More Info

But remember - opinions are like... well you know. You should go with whatever you like in the space and having these renderings can help with that.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 2:59PM
OK, erinbono, I've downloaded your last photo and will put in rugs presently. The red rug is a leather chindi from plushrugs.com, the closest I could find to your red rug. My red rug has no fringe, but you can see how the color and texture work in the space.

You want the red rug, a wide sage stripe, and the 6 x 6. Do you want the brown stripe as well? I'll be back.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 3:43PM
.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 4:00PM
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 4:01PM
erinbono
You are just the all time best!! Now off to shop at plush rugs and wayfair. Which rug do you like the best, if any?? Attaching pics of Family Room and Living Room rugs because they should all have similar colors, right? Stuck on the red as I have red accents in just about room. (Hmm...Possible Overkill) Thank you so much!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 4:25PM
grobby
Is this a duplicate post?
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:28PM
erinbono
This post was asking for photoshop help from groveraxle because I[m buying a rug and light fixture. Love photoshop but have no idea how to do it :) Do belive I am ordering the leather chindi red rug (pic #3 of rugs from grover and circular shade (pic 3 from flair lighting). What do you think??
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:54PM
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 5:54PM
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 5:58PM
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 6:07PM
erinbono
Like those both but even the husband likes the leather chindi red rug you found (think it was the reasonable price). I think the chindi would work best going the other way in the foyer...hmmm....can you put leather chindi in pic below? Sorry if this makes extra work!!! thank you thank you!!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:13PM
erinbono
OOH the Rizzy! Love Her! Do or die, I am ordering one tonight. This indecisiveness ends here--thanks to groveraxle!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:14PM
erinbono
Hooray just ordered the Rizzy Rug and Shaded Light Fixture. 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime who is use to me returning items lol Will post pics as soon as I have them. Thx so much groveraxle!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:23PM
erinbono
whoops--getting tired! The above rug with this light fixture
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:24PM
Love the Rizzy Moroccan trellis rug! Excellent choice. Will look great with that light.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 28, 2014 at 9:17PM
erinbono
Thank you! Promise to post pics the minute I have it in place. This foyer has been driving me crazy for years and finally have hope. Now on a search for artwork over the bench. Appreciate your help more than you know :)
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:42PM
erinbono, what did you do with the smaller mirror? (I saw it on your other thread.) Why did you forsake her? She seemed the perfect size. Of course, you know art is always my first choice, but if you still have that mirror, you might try it again with the two framed pieces there now.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 6:46AM
toomanywhitewalls
Job well done! I can't wait to see the new updated pics. I love the rug and continue to drool over that bench you scored at Homegoods. I never come across such good things while I am there.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:19AM
erinbono
grover--I moved the other "blingy" mirror upstairs over my master bath vanity. I may try it again in the foyer once new rug/light arrives, but am so happy with it over my sink--adds some much needed bling to my vanity area. Heading to Homegoods again tomorrow @whitewalls, you have to find out what days your Homegoods gets new deliveries......the good stuff vanishes quick!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:40AM
toomanywhitewalls
i have asked them before and they said they get deliveries everyday - not much help. I try to stalk the store as often as possible but I have two young boys and a life which prevents me from getting there as much as I would want.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:01AM
erinbono
I have 2 Homegood within 5 miles (lucked out) and there is this one worker who always seems to find me and let me know when the "big" deliveries are coming. Think he gets a kick about how often I am in there buying/returning stuff :) I just started a new position where I'm 7 days on/7 days off and gives me so much more time to shop. I feel your pain though---kids, work, budget and life in general leave very little time for "design"--so not fair, right?
    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:07AM
rainymorning
Even though I said I didn't think a red rug would work for you, I now see that the one you selected looks beautiful and with the new light will be such an attractive entrance.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 29, 2014 at 10:00AM
erinbono
Thx rainymorning. Can't wait for it to get here--is it Wednesday yet? 2-day shipping and am still impatient-ha! Will post pictures for feedback. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 10:29AM
Cristina Hopper
Erin - do you like any of these light fixtures? They are a very updated take on traditional. I took a look at your ideabooks and I think it's more in line with where you're going.
Livex Lighting 5021-35 Ceiling Light/Flush Mount Light · More Info
Blake Flushmount, Polished Nickel · More Info

Echelon Semi-Flush · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:35AM
toomanywhitewalls
It's Wednesday. I will check back later for an update!
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:47AM
erinbono
After a long, rainy day my new rug and light finally arrived....Really loving the rug! Happy Dance!! Adds a classy feel without clashing with traditional style. Thank you grover--never would have been brave enough to order without your photoshop. Rug is more "rust" than tablet shows but believe it works well. Such an improvement!!
The light? Well, I think Christina was right--just too contemporary. It looked exactly as it did in photoshop (thank you!) but between the rug and the light the "Home" doesn't work at all. Made up my mind to take down my "Home Decal" that I've had a love/hate relationship with since it went up. Until the kids intervened. "But we did it together! Remember?" They actually sat on the floor eating pretzels while I scratched the darn thing on there but it's what THEY remember that counts. My 12 year old actually picked it out at HomeGoods and she is still proud of her "find". Have a wait couple of years to take it down....if ever. (Mom Guilt).
Think I've decided to send back light fixture......what'dya think??
12 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:46PM
erinbono
Think the second pic is actually the one Grover photoshopped for me--Ha! Too many pictures on my tablet!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:48PM
Love the rug. Looks better for real than in the Photoshop rendering; I like that it's more rust than red. I like the light, but agree it's a bit too contemporary for the space. And while I've never been a fan of word art (if it can be called art), I think it looks ok with the rug.

I might like the rug turned the other way. What do you think?
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 30, 2014 at 6:01PM
toomanywhitewalls
LOVE the rug!!! It brings great color and warmth to the foyer. Light has to go. As someone mentioned earlier the styles are too different.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 30, 2014 at 6:02PM
erinbono
Lemme go take a pic Grove.......I tried it that way too but like it better lengthwise, me thinks. I'd also have to get another rug. Cranky husband's patience is running low and so is budget. Gonna need some help with light fixtures again. Really have no idea where you find the energy groveraxle!
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 6:08PM
erinbono
I tried to tone down my table too.....and tumbleweed orb fought with the rug. With rug laying that way, that big old spot by the door will mock me all day long.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 6:21PM
erinbono
Can't figure what would work here......Thinking it has to be dark finish in order to balance. I'll let the rug take center stage? Grover, can you photoshop the picture below when you can find time? Thank you Cristina for suggestions above....trying out the first one in a darker finish (other over budget). Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:01PM
erinbono
And maybe these two also? Am I totally heading the wrong way here??
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:16PM
chromatic
The fourth light is best of those. Please take into consideration the other fixtures and metals. You have iron railing and a dark metal chandelier in the dining room within eyesight. Plus, your front door is sort of Victorian. That light you sent back was all wrong. I loved it too, but not in your house. Stay true to its architecture which is formal, not contemporary. Either match the finish of the one in the dining room or go black to complement the railing. And get something twice the size in width of what was there when we started.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    April 30, 2014 at 9:28PM
erinbono
I like the 4th one too.....it's hard to see but my new rug has grey outline in the design. Think it may work I like the 5th too--it will follow the rule to get 2x size as original--but the light I am returning has this funky glowing glass under the shade. Afraid the 5th will have the same......
1 Like    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:36PM
rainymorning
This attached photo of a light from Ballard Designs caught my eye. It may be all wrong for you but I'll send it just the same.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 1, 2014 at 5:31AM
Cristina Hopper
Erin - how to word this.....? I'm trying to figure out why you gravitate towards a fixture with black in it. It's true that contrast can give a home style, but it does not need to be present everywhere. You only have 8' ceilings, so I would look for something to bring sparkle and shine.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 1, 2014 at 7:14AM
erinbono
Love the idea of sparkle and shine Cristina but afraid if I order anything with a silver finish it won't coordinate with dining room fixtures, stairs of door. I like the one rainymornig found--it is possible to brig sparkle and shine with a dark fixture?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 9:45AM
erinsean
Grover did a good job for you...but the pretty table by the stairs under the HOME...could you please try moving it over about six inches to the right...away from the corner...I know it is round but to me it looks "scrunched" Love your new rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 1, 2014 at 12:30PM
erinbono
My starburst mirror and small table near the door just wasn't working for me? What do you think of the space just empty? That starburst was over $200 and need it to work somewhere. I know the living room is horrible...saving to get fireplace doe and side-cabinets. If I paint over the brass on the fireplace do you think it will work....just until I get the fireplace done? Thx!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 12:44PM
erinbono
Heres table more centered. Thx
16 Likes    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 12:58PM
Cristina Hopper
Taking the small demi-lune and mirror away was a good thing. Consider removing the coat tree since you have a closet right there.

Thanks for answering the question on lighting/ metal finish. I understand consistency and repeating an element to have design continuity, but I really think here you can get away with using something else. When you pull a room together, you can unify it through color, proportions, or style. E.g. you can match your leather sofa with two plushy armchairs in a heavier fabric in coordinating rich colors, if the arms and backs are of similar style and proportions. You can use mismatched dining room chairs, if they are all about the same size and paint them all the same color. I think you get the point.

Your house is very consistent otherwise, so I think that for this space choosing a light fixture that isn't matchy-matchy, would work just fine, if not the better design choice. The biggest obstacle to finding a nice fixture are your 8' ceilings. There are many hanging lamps that have the right balance, but you have to stick with something flush or semi-flush up to 12-14". Because of this ceiling constraint, I think it would be more important not to have anything with too much darkness drawing your eye up. So the choice is between something with very scant black finish, like the fixture rainymorning showed, but in the right scale, or a fixture that doesn't showcase the metal, but is big on sparkle / crystal and has a transitional style.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 1, 2014 at 4:24PM
erinbono
Thank you Cristina! You are teaching me a lot---and I have so much to learn! Will keep looking for a light fixture-scant dark (if any) finish and has to be less than 14" in depth. What about width? The shaded one that didn't work was like 27"--too wide right?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:06PM
Cristina Hopper
Take a tape measure, hold it up, and see for yourself.

Hudson Valley Lighting used to have really nice innovative designs for not too much money, but I think they got popular and their prices went up.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 1, 2014 at 5:16PM
Oops, sorry, wrong rug. Send that one back.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:17PM
chromatic
The width of the light fixture you sent back was good. Take a look at the finish of the dining room light again and find one like it with a lot more clear glass. And Yes! They make a flat black spray paint specifically for fireplaces. Tape off that surround and cover up that brass!
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 4, 2014 at 3:26PM
erinbono
Back from a 7day/24 work week from hell and more determined than ever to find a light fixture. Christina--I am carefully listening to your advice but just can't bring myself to order a light with a silver finish, even though I agree that it would be the better design choice (I am just a chicken with design). Grover--I liked your last suggestion and was ready to order until hubs intervened. The fixture I attached will be my Mother's Day present. Thoughts please?? Or if anyone can find a light fixture, not longer than 14" and width appx 17" with bling and scant black finish? Can't believe how hard light fixtures are!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:51AM
erinbono
And here is the other one I've narrowed it down to, Both way over budget but figure it's worth it as I'll have this light fixture until I move or die, whichever comes first lol
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 10:12AM
chromatic
I really like the shell light! How wide is it?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 1:37PM
rainymorning
Both lights are very pretty. How will you decide?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 1:56PM
erinbono
I still like the one you suggested best rainmorning but it hangs too low. sheshore....it is 16" wide. Right in the ballpark! My heart tells me to go with the shell light. Think I am just going to go for it as I'm tired of having a big empty hole in my ceiling!
    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 3:55PM
erinbono
Here is a mirror that would go well with shell light.....Have it master bath now and LOVE it. But will forsake her for the greater good. If I put the mirror over the bench I am going to need massive help as I don't think it will work with the small pics in black frames I have there now. Sigh
1 Like    Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 4:10PM
erinbono
After all the searching for a light fixture, I decided I don't need one! Going to put a recessed light into the hole there now and have enough light with all the recessed. More is less, right? Hoping it will draw the eye away from the standard ceiling height. Am going to spend the $ instead on doing a photo gallery above the bench instead....using the attached pics as inspiration. Not feeling confident.... Wish me luck--gearing up for a long shopping trip. Would like to buy the shelf today and work on getting the family photos (which I have to order in b&w). Any suggestions on frames for the photo gallery?
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:37AM
edithsmom
Sometimes just pausing and searching can solidify your thoughts on a new piece. The gallery sounds perfect for that area. I love gallery walls for family pics.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 10, 2014 at 11:40AM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono...your home is beautiful!!
Here's are a few thoughts..
Over your bench - is that mirror reflecting something nice?
At your entry door - seems like there should still be an area mat to accent that great door. On one side of the door maybe a slimline chest with drawers with a mirror above One that could hold a table lamp ( would make for lovely lighting in the evening) Would be a nice place to store gloves a scarfs. The pieces that are there now seem too small in comparison to the door.
The table by the stairwell might also make a better show if it had doors. (also would be another spot to put a lamp ( not sure if there is a plug there)
Being a plantaholic I love groveraxel's addition of greenery , really livens up the space!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 10, 2014 at 12:14PM
scilione
What is the colors on the wall?
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 1:28PM
I have been very satisfied with these frames in black: http://www.frameusa.com/wood-frames/colori-medium-picture-frames

The place I used to get my mats has disappeared, but I have it on good authority (from an artist who places volume orders) that this place has great mats at a great price: http://www.matboardandmore.com/products/custom-matting.aspx
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 10, 2014 at 1:53PM
erinbono
Still trying to get rid of the big mirror you don't like grove!! So, I bought this picture frame collection that has a guide where to hang the frames. My question is this.....is there anyway I can incorporate my Joss and Main starburst into the gallery wall? Can I pull it off or should I not even waste my time?.....pics below are starburst and the hanging guide for picture gallery.....Thanks!!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 3:10PM
erinbono
@Leona--Hi! I actually moved the small console with starburst mirror as it just wasn't working. Now trying to make the starburst work elsewhere. I do have a plug behind the table....can't find a lamp that nicely fills in space under home. @scilone--the walls are Eddie Bauer Caramel something or other. Much more beige in real life.....
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 3:19PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono... love the above idea of the photo gallery wall above the bench..I found that the mirror only served to reflect doors on the opposite wall (which you have an abundance of in that room). You definitely need a lamp in this room. Could you try placing the small table that you had by the entrance to the left of the bench with a tall lamp on it?

The" Home" decal might work better next to the entry door as the lettering is small.

You might want to try the starburst mirror where the "Home " decal is now (it would reflect some sunlight in that spot). Although your round table is beautiful there spindles of the stairs & those of the table seem to be too much. Instead you could place a bushy potted plant in place of the table.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 10, 2014 at 8:20PM
erin, so you have all those frames? If you want to incorporate the mirror in the gallery wall, the hanging guide will do you no good. Well, that's not exactly true. Cut out all the frames, then cut another piece of paper in the shape of the mirror. Lay them out on the floor till you have a pleasing composition, then transfer to the wall.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 10, 2014 at 10:34PM
erinbono
Tried ALL of that lol. The starburst doesn't work with the table. NO idea why it doesn't but the table and the startburst really dislike each other. Can't really buy another new table (sent two back and put delimue upstairs in the hallway and VERY crank hubs hates it. I start out with a bushy potted plant, If I walk by a plant, it wilts. It has to be fake (yycky?) Will try to find time to take a pic to show you.. It's all so complicated and continue to hate my foyer....but at least I have a new rug thanks to grover-girl. Thanks for the suggestions....I refuse to give up until I'm happy :)
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:41PM
erinbono
I tried grove......wasn't pretty. Got about 1/2 was thru and could tell all the effort was for naught. I can do just the frames, no problem but it leaves the wall looking empty, in my eyes. Maybe I can try again tomorrow and have you guide me? Happy Mother's Day and glad that baby pup of yours is doing well!!!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:50PM
nikkiseashores
I love the ideas about the black light fixture and the red Erinbono and Grover showed
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 11, 2014 at 1:31AM
Cristina Hopper
Erin - happy Mother's Day. I was hoping people would enjoy their weekend, but here is everyone on houzz.

I think you are right to take a step back on your light fixture. If you don't feel comfortable with another finish but black, then don't do it because someone else tells you it's ok; even a decorator. There is always more than one way to achieve the desired result. Another option for you is to set just a slightly bigger budget but give yourself more time to acquire it. You were looking at $180 right now. If you could double it, but be patient for three months and save the difference for that time, even your hubby will probably work with you.

You mentioned several times that the wall behind the bench feels bare. But the last time you filled it with something big with dark frames, I.e. lots of contrast, it was overbearing and disproportionate to the bench. My suggestion is to then work with more texture and reduce the level of contrast. Let's say you put the starburst mirror in the center and arrange frames around it, paint some of the frames the same color as your starburst.

I'll try to find some pictures of such frame arrangements later. I need to go back to painting my own family room now.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 11, 2014 at 12:32PM
Dinska doo
Hi SIL! Happy Mother's Day. I didn't like the pic of the light fixture u chose but when I saw the pic of it up, I fell in love! Not loving the rug though, I thought the one you had was fine. & I really like your mirror. The idea of a small cabinet by the door sounds nice. But I'll never figure out why this room that you just walk through every day, makes you so insane! Love ya lika sista!
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:30PM
erinbono
Happy Mothers Day Cristina!! We want pictures of your newly painted family room ;) Think no matter what I put above the bench, it will be disproportionate as I still feel the need to "fill up" the wall. EXCELLENT idea about painting the frames to try to make it work. Thank you!! Think I've finally figured what my style is.....shabby chic! Wish I would have realized this 6 years ago when we bought the house :)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 4:10PM
erinbono
My SISTER-In-LAW DINA!! LOL--Happy Mother's Day SIL! Miss you!! Girl, I returned the round globe light fixture and keeping the rug!!!! LOL!! You have to come over and help me....I have all these amazing decorators helping me and am more confused than ever! I bought a small table and a starburst mirror (finally) but didn't work by the door. This foyer is the first impression you get when you walk in and could be such a gorgeous entry---if only I had a clue what I was doing! You REALLY don't like the rug?? xoxoxox Love you more!!
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 4:18PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono.. you seem to have quite a bit of trouble with trying to do a photo wall.
Since you entry is so large & you have a number of doors & openings in that room your pieces should be few but large. Have you considered putting a large piece of art on the wall above the bench? You could then draw some accent colors from that to liven up the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:06PM
rainymorning
Listen, kid-o, don't feel bad about not knowing what your style is. I am 134 years-old and still not settled on what my style is. Trouble is, I like so many and they are all diverse. Eclectic is fine but one has to learn how to balance each piece, colors, space. It can be fun or frustrating not to mention expensive. (Good thing I have a patient spouse.) I like shopping for treasures on the cheap. Some of my favorite things have been acquired in secondhand shops and flea markets and antique stores. But now I have a rule: if I see something I like and don't have a specific place in mind to put it, I take a pass. Serendipity works for me.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 12, 2014 at 6:58AM
Denita
^^^rainymorning, so well said!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:04AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rainymorning.. Wow.. 134 yrs. old (LOL) & still don't know what your style is.... same here... guess I'm just "functional comfy casual."
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:28AM
Dinska doo
The rug is growing on me but I really loved the light ( & so does Joan & the rest if my coworkers!) lol you listen to too many people..if you like it, that's all that matters! Stop stressing.. It not a hotel lobby lol
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:33AM
erinbono
Hi SIL--I really miss you!! I worry so much about it looking like a waiting room vs putting off a comfy welcoming vibe. Don't have the funds to do the rest of the house so yup....going to keep playing with the foyer until I can smile whenever I open the door.
Almost didn't buy the house because I was like OMG what am I going to do with the foyer? Stay tuned....
AND Your brother doesn't like the rug either!! Have another couple of weeks to decide if I am going to veto him or return the rug. Find me some other options on rugs when you have time---love your input as you have a fabulous eye for decorating! Wish your brother would have inherited that gene!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:45AM
erinbono
rainymorning.....very well said! Serendipity sure make sense.....Just wish I would have read it before I went shopping. Found this @ HomeGoods on clearance but should have taken a "Pass" as it doesn't work in the foyer! Isn't she adorable, though?
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:59AM
rainymorning
Yes, charming set of hooks. If it was a good deal, could you perhaps use it in a bathroom, bedroom or kitchen? If not, save it as a gift. Don't you hate taking things back to the store?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:59AM
erinbono
rainymorning, the coat hook was originally $34.99 at HomeGoods, marked down from $60. I got it for $9.00 as the "1" was coming off. Tightened the screw and it's like new again. $9.00 is so not worth the trip to return lol
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:14AM
rainymorning
It's a great find at that price. You'll surely find another use since it doesn't work in the foyer.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 12, 2014 at 11:16AM
erinbono
My husband doesn't like the Rust Rug with Large Pattern--I ordered thi snew red one and liking it!! It's actually made of leather strips and smells like it!! It fits more into the vibe of my house. Have both rugs and trying to decide which one to return? I'm leaving for work before my husband comes home but he probably won't like either one! Thoughts and opinions between the two appreciated! First 3 are red leather rug and the 4th is the one I ordered a couple of weeks ago. BOTH photoshopped in by groveraxle and look exactly as she pictured. Thanks again groveraxle!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:00AM
erinbono
Here a pic of Rust Trellis Rug
    Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:02AM
erinbono
If I keep the Red Leather Chindi rug, would it be too much to add the same rug, smaller size by the door? Hmmmm.......Thx!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:10AM
rainymorning
I like the trellis rug that you ordered a couple of weeks ago. It's beautiful and picks up the white from your paneling.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:13AM
erinbono
I love that Trellis Rug too! I really like both of them.......let's see what the husband says! Thx rainymorning!!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 11:29AM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono ..Plain red one is too stripey with the floor. I vote for the trellis rug... ( or any other patterned ) .. helps to give some texture to the room.
With the red rug you can add some red pillows to the bench.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 20, 2014 at 12:57PM
erinbono
Of COURSE hubby and kids like the red rug better. The trellis rug is much much more of a "rust" than I can capture on my tablet. I really like the rust! But the rust color and large pattern are much harder to coordinate (light fixture, pillows, pictures) Thank for you votes--have about another week to decide which goes back!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:14PM
Cristina Hopper
I think I'll add a vote for the red leather too. From the pictures, it looks like the cherry red is a better fit than rust with the rest of the colors in your space. The kitchen cabinetry has an underlying cherry tone and even your accent wall in the kitchen is more brown than orange.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 21, 2014 at 1:41PM
erinbono
Really would like a stair runner now but won't be possible because of the split staircase. Thinking of staining the stairs a couple of shades darker? Lighter wood in the living room has to stay. Any ideas to spice up the staircase?
    Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 8:06AM
rainymorning
The color of the wood on the staircase is compatible with the rest of the wood floor. I think you should leave it alone and not stain it darker. You could have a stair runner and use that same carpet to cover the landing but one step at a time (pun). Either decide on the foyer rug first or pick out runner and coordinate the foyer rug with stair runner.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 22, 2014 at 10:29AM
erinbono
Ordering a light fixture today....was just going to have a recessed light in the whole but husband says the wiring doesn't support recessed? (he may be lying to me). Love the shell light above but read reviews that it turns bright unattractive shade of yellow when on so that one is out (hate when my beige paint color looks too yellow. Going to post my top contenders below, one at a time. Any "likes"/ suggestions would be appreciated. About burnt out on this darn foyer light lol
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 10:46AM
erinbono
She's my top contender. Only hesitation is price and width. It's 14.5 inches wide? Liked to scale on the one grover posted that was 16" wide. Think it will be an issue?
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:05AM
erinbono
This baby would match my rug and color but may be too matchy-match. Style is states as "cottage" so different that the other contemporary one I ordered?
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:06AM
erinbono
Really? What happened to the size of my red light...here's another
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:09AM
erinbono
Liking the Pineapple too......but even less wide than my top contender. Only 10 inches wide.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:13AM
erinbono
The one rainymorning found is far and away my favorite but would hang too low. If anyone finds anything similar please post-- would be appreciated! Ordering over the weekend and will post pics the minute it's up for feedback.
PS: Red Rug is officially staying. Husband and kids really prefer over the Rust Trellis (fine with me as long as my "rug quest" is over!) AND my cat has absolutely no interest in the new rug--big bonus!!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:21AM
Dinska doo
Hi SIL! Love the red light! looks similar to the one you had up, which I loved! Red gets my vote! Are you coming down the shore??
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:34AM
erinbono
Hi SIL!!! Nope! On-call as usual. Can't wait to get a good night's sleep! Ok, that's one for the red light LOL The other light hung down and had a more contemporaty style. Do you like this rug better? Can't believe your brother actually like SOMETHING lol
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:39AM
erinbono
Paul's home around 4:30.....are you guys heading down the Shore tonight or tomorrow? Have to get the kids packed up UGH work-week from HELL
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:40AM
rainymorning
Here are a few more lights for you to consider.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:00PM
rainymorning
I should add that I selected these because you like the one from Ballard Designs that was too long. That one was a French Country style as are these. You must be feeling crazy by now. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 23, 2014 at 1:02PM
erinbono
So funny--I had every one of these in my basket at some point. As much as I'm still considering Christina's advice to add bling/sparkle I just don't think crystal would fit with my d├ęcor. I'm not sure if pewter would work.....do you think it would work with what I have? LOL thanks for hanging in there with me rainy!! I'll post pics when it arrives so I can see what you think!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:17PM
Lainie D'Eon
The pewter would be nice with you black accents without looking too black against the ceiling. Guess it just comes down to your favourite. When trying to chose something I start by deducting , pick the bad point & eliminate. Good luck!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 23, 2014 at 1:26PM
rainymorning
I think the bronze or black works better than the pewter or silver finish. Have you placed an order yet?
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 23, 2014 at 1:46PM
erinbono
Nope---think its going to be an enemy-meeny-miney-mo moment!! Hubs will be fed up if this choice doesn't work.....uh oh LOL.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:04PM
erinbono
Ta-da ,,,,I figured out a solution to this never-ending design delimma!! I Ordered the Pewter because it's sold by Amazon and they know me VERY well by now lol. Amazon is the best because you only click a button saying "return" and the next day fed ex picks it up from your front porch!! Within 2 days, you have a full refund--Guess they didn't figure in multiple returns from this loony and indecisive wanna-be-decorator Ha!!
SO, going to try Pewter girl 1st. Then if she doesn't work, I can order her much darker cousin from another manufacturer. Their return policy is much trickier and I know my husband will give up after that. Hubs agrees to give me two more tries (max!)--after 15 years of marriage he knows it is just easier to agree! Yay! Thx for your help! Pretty Pewter will be here by end of next week,,,,,,,THX again ladies! Try to check back because you know I will be lost--yet again :)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:58PM
abbyjean
I did not know amazon did returns like that. Thank you for that info!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 3:10PM
erinbono
@Christina-- I am going to attempt a lighter finish as you suggested! You were right about the other light being too contemporary so lets see if Pewter works!! Too chicken to try a crystal fixture but just noticed the Pewter I ordered is very similar to one you suggested earlier. I just may be coming along here!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 3:37PM
erinbono
oh abbyjean, it's the best thing about it! I've returned 3 rugs, 1 light and countless other items. Most often you don't even how to print it out. Once you hit "return" just have your package out front the next day. UPS will leave a slip in your mailbox and it's all good! Other merchants make it difficult.....waiting for emails with a form you have to print out and then lugging the item where they send you for return. So just ordered the Pewter and will be here in 2-3 days no shipping! abbyjean do you like the new red rug? It looks so much nicer than it does on the screen. The trellis rug looked much better on the screen than it did in person! go figure......
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 3:43PM
abbyjean
I actually love the red!!! And it sounds fun for that space! You might need some red in a pillow and on the table now, too. Red candle in that stand? Or with some red in it as I know I have seen multi colored candles.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 23, 2014 at 7:46PM
erinbono
Pilllows for that bench are haaarrd!! Everything I buy just doesn't work. I have spent more time at Home Good returning pillows. Have to find some nice red picture frames for table. This sold color rug open up my possibilities for accessorizing. Glad you like it!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:50PM
tgb1
About the stair runner for your split stairs - I've seen houzz pics where they take the runner up to the bottom of the landing, leave the landing bare, and then begin the runner again up the 2nd run of stairs. Its really a neat look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 23, 2014 at 8:24PM
rainymorning
So you are set with the red rug and everybody in your household likes it? And I do like the design of that pewter light. I hope it works out and I suspect it will. I never returned anything to Amazon but do shop with them. Their software is so efficient for shopping that it's almost dangerous! And lastly, thank goodness for patient husbands.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 6:21AM
erinbono
Amen to that rainy!! He's an electrician so it takes him all of three minutes but he is so sick and tired of hearing me talk about this foyer. The more I have the red rug, the more I like it--the color is just right and the pattern adds interest....and it still hasn't lost that leather smell. Light should be here Monday but I will be working most of the day-in and out. Hopefully it will be up Tuesaday and you can give me some input. Because lastly, thank goodness for my Houzz friends!!
    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:28AM
rainymorning
When something is right you can just feel it. Sounds that way with your rug so it's a keeper. I am a maniac about rearranging furniture. Once I get the room balanced I just settle down knowing it works. I'm not good at advising people about that. I would have to be in the room and start moving things. It's more instinct than following rules for me. I look forward to a photo of your new light. It's been fun visiting your home vicariously.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 7:19AM
rainymorning
Erin, I stumbled (pun not intended) upon a photo of stairs with runner and landing which I put into my Houzz Idea book for you to view. Problem is, I don't know how to transfer the picture and post it here. Can you look in my Idea book and find it? It's my last addition and I don't have that many to sort through. I'm very ungeeky!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:15PM
Let's all look at it, shall we?
Modern Gray · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 25, 2014 at 5:21PM
rainymorning
Hey Grover, thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 6:25PM
erinbono
Nice--that does look cool.. Going to start my searches......Husband on light duty (pun!) tomorrow--if it comes while I'm working, put it up!! Funny how the only thing I changed is the rug but am so much happier with the room already. Now just to find that balance you referred to rainymorning!! Tried to do the photo wall by the door. Hung them perfectly but all those black frames in a small space just didn't balance. I have sooo many holes in my wall. Hubs is doing me proud an not complaining!
    Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:35PM
abbyjean
Just happened to think.........your happiness art piece in the family room..........with this red rug and the size of it, is it worth a try over the bench?
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 25, 2014 at 10:42PM
erinbono
I will try it out! Thx abbyjean! Amazon e-mailed that my new light fixture may not be delivered until Friday now....booooo
    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:13AM
abbyjean
I suppose the holiday weekend may throw off some deliveries, huh?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:23AM
Cristina Hopper
I had popped in to see if you received your fixture. I guess we'll see pictures of how the light fits in this weekend.
I was thinking a lot about your space and I hope that the process is still enjoyable for you. I hope that you appreciate the little pauses between each move, and see how your elements fall into place and discover your own tastes better as a result.
Meanwhile, if you are itching to shop until Friday, go find a vase or a floral arrangement in the same red at your new rug. Also look for any decorative boxes or trays with that red to also go on your round table.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 12:24PM
erinbono
Wish I could get a new floral arrangement with red but the one I have now cost a bundle and the branches "fill" the space under the home so nicely! Am starting to enjoy the process now as I finally put something up near the door with that tricky light switch.....I know it's not perfect but it gives the foyer more of a shabby chic feel and it makes me happy! And cost me less than $10. My budget is gone so now I am improvising! Sitting here putting painters tape over my starburst mirror--going to give it a new coat of paint and see if it will work over my bed.(doubtful). Will post picture of my small happy little photo wall tomoorrow! Thx for thinking of me :) Can't wait for this light fixture to arrive but start my week "on" next week so may not have it up until the following week.
    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 7:32PM
Cristina Hopper
Erin, that yellow flower arrangement can probably be find an even better home in your space. I think that with some careful (and patient) shopping you can find a red vase, and if needed just go get some clipping from a shrub or tree from your garden. Fresh is so much nicer anyway, and right now you have Rhododendrons and Magnolia trees blooming.

I'm in the same boat too because I've been looking to find decorative objects to finish my newly redecorated family room, and strangely enough I can't seem to find the abundance of white ceramic vases and deco objects that was a available just a little while back. That is, I am not willing to spend a bundle on them either because that is not where I want to spent my money.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 6:26AM
erinbono
I feel your pain Cristina....what I've discovered in spray paint! Not for everyone but I'm getting better at it. I tried my silver starburst mirror EVERYWHERE and then to top it off, the edge cracked off and one of the mirrored panels shattered (don't ask). I spent last night using painters tape to cover the mirror pieces and spray painted it. Family is convinced I'm nuts. Because one of the mirror panels cracked, I kept the painters tape over the shattered mirror panel. Can't use it anywhere people may notice the damage but am very pleased with how it looks over my bed! Before I had yet another cheesy word saying in the spot. Do you think it looks OK?
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:22AM
erinbono
I know my pillows aren't really working but clearance @ HomeGood (again) and couldn't resist. Do you think patterned shams looks better in front of back?
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:36AM
abbyjean
This last pic looks just fine in your room, although I went back and forth and I do not think it matters which shams are where. And you go, girl, with that mirror! Kiss your brain!!! It works and your paint job is great!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:38AM
rainymorning
Mirror looks terrific as does the bed linens. I prefer the shams as you have them in front of the pillows. What color is that wall paint? Very nice too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 29, 2014 at 12:17PM
erinbono
Thank you abbyjean! It was either this or toss it! Just received my light fixture and bummer....really thought the pewter would be a little darker. Now that my focus is putting red "pops" in the foyer, think I just may return and order the one with the darker finish. Cristina, It's probably not the best design choice but afraid a different finish will make it too busy once I'm finished accessorizing. I'm having a family party soon and want to make sure I have something up that I like. I will see how my husband feels when he gets home.
Here's my foyer now....The darn light switch really limits my options with pictures. Just put up a few family pictures and I like it Found a red picture frame for the table but need to find other red accessories. Hmmmm.......
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 12:31PM
erinbono
Here's a better ones of pictures by the door....I really like the whitish frames. Do they look too low? If I raise them up there is too much room in between light switch and frames. If I put more frames on top of what I have it looks too busy.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 12:47PM
erinbono
See that is why I love Houzz.....now I can see the pictures ARE too low. If I put another picture under the large frame and another to the right I'm thinking it would work better?
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 1:02PM
abbyjean
I think you had a great idea for this wall and it works soooo much better than the mirror.

What about those little round mirrors that you had by the bench once? Could those work in to this grouping? I know....different color and shape, but sometimes............

LOVE the B there.....that is what you want. FUN things that say WELCOME TO OUR HOME!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 29, 2014 at 1:59PM
Lainie D'Eon
In the first pic the middle of the "wall arrangement" should be at eye level. If it is ..should be good. What is the purpose of the numbered hook item. Is it for keys.. looks too small for jackets. Maybe try the arrangement without that item.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 2:05PM
Melissa Barnes
Erinboni, sorry to hijack your thread. Groveraxle can you tell me how you photoshopped in those rugs? I have CS5 and want to do the exact same thing to try out some rugs before i buy but my attempts don't work. Thanks heaps :)
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 2:58PM
abbyjean
GREAT job disguising those light switches! I had to look to find them!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 3:21PM
abbyjean
Can the row of hooks slide up with the light switch? I know it will extend beyond the larger taller pic, but that might still be ok. Then you really could hang some keys or something red from one.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 3:22PM
erinbono
Yup.....still going to take some playing around but I'm on the right track. The balls on the end of the numbered hooks are way too big for key rings to fit over. My daughters already have their sweatshirts hanging there but it's too low. Going to try to move it up and get some more B&W prints. Can't believe if you take print to Walgreens they can print a copy in black/white and change from vertical/horizational for only 33 cents a pic!
Well, my husband took the light fixture out and was in the process of hanging when I noticed a chip in the glass. OMG hope Amazon doesn't think it happened after delivery. And it's a shame because I was liking the pewter there (Cristina,,,,,right again!) Packed it right back up before the chip could turn into a crack.
Melissa,,,,the fabulous groveraxle does amazing work on photoshop. Her pictures look EXACTLY like the real thing. Thx again groveraxle!
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 4:07PM
erinbono
@rainymorning! Didn't see your comment before...we must have been posting at the same time. So glad you think it works! Color was meant to be sage green but something went wrong at the paint store.....wish I knew exact color for you. Sigh of relief that found a place for the mirror. Have to remember "serendipity!!"
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 4:21PM
rainymorning
Maybe the chip in the light's glass is leading you to one that is going to be just right.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 4:51PM
erinbono
Not serendipitous but perhaps kismet ;)
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 5:16PM
Cristina Hopper
I'm guessing you posted bits as you went along; I had trouble following. At first you were nervous about the pewter, but once up, you noticed it works and you were starting to like it. However, it's damaged so it has to be sent back. But you still want to try the black (rubbed bronze finish?) instead. Did I get that right? You can certainly get a look at the other light fixture just for comparison and choose which you like best. Why not reorder the pewter and compare both fixtures in your home and send back the one you don't want.

The bed pillows work. By the way, it's a stroke of luck IMO that your color did not turn sage. It would not complement as well with your shade of red. This wall color has a little silver in it and works better.

For your picture wall, have you considered putting the key rings all the way to the top? Obviously, it's there as a decorative element only, so utility does not come into the equation, and I don't know that it'll work somewhere mid-arrangement too well. If you do put it next to your light switch, I suggest you form a quasi-rhombus shape by going a little more right on top, instead of doing a rectangle arrangement.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 6:44PM
erinbono
Oh Cristina...back to being confused on light fixture. Searching again for something that speaks to me. Husband was very pleased there was a chip in glass. He said light fixture looked like it belonged "outside on the porch". Although I can veto and he won't give me a hard time, I want him to like it too.
For the picture wall my husband offered to try to re-shape the wood and remove the number 6 and possibly 5 so it will fit next to the light fixture. How sweet is he?? Either 4 or 5 hooks work to represent number in our family (depending on whether we include the cat lol). Could never pull off a quasi-rhombus in my wildest dreams--just don't have it in me! Love those hooks--no idea why, but I do.....now I have to make it work. Time-consuming and can be frustrating but FUN!
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 8:11PM
abbyjean
Hubby gets a hug! He is a true sweetie, knowing how important that wall is to you and this foyer!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 8:14PM
abbyjean
If the cat number stays, maybe the cat gets a pic on that wall, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 8:18PM
erinbono
Sadly enough, I already have a pic in the bathroom around the corner of a black cat to represent CurleyJo. Too funny!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 8:49PM
megcpa
Does anyone know where to source the big honking hooks in the church pew (with adorable little boy) room. I'm trying to reproduce this look for my mud room,but think it has to have the heft of those hooks, and I'm not finding hefty ones.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:37PM
erinbono
Love those big honking hooks too but no idea where to source. I think this may have been a DYI project. This is the link under the picture. I searched for "church pew in foyer" and this image came up. Having lots of problem with my laptop so couldn't access further!
http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2012/01/small-spaces-entryways-foyers/
1 Like    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 8:57AM
megcpa
Thank you erinbono, I'll keep chasing it.
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:47AM
rainymorning
Erin, may I ask if your ease of returns with Amazon is attributed to having an Amazon Prime membership or do all customers have that service?
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:27PM
rainymorning
Excuse me while I barge in on your thread to change the subject for one moment. Will someone please tell me how I can take a picture from my Ideabook and place it here in the comments forum? Groveraxle did it for the stairs runner pic but never told me how to do it for myself . I couldn't find instructions on the Houzz how-to.
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:44PM
rainymorning
Hey Erin. Take a look at Lucent Lamp Works on Etsy website. The guy makes lights and they look pretty nice. His prices not too bad from what I see.
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:15PM
erinbono
Hi rainymorning! I believe it is all customers because I don't have Amazon Prime or anything. That being said, this seller on Amazon hasn't responded to my request for return yet (uh-oh). When you order as long as it is sold by "Amazon" that refund policy holds and they make it easy-peasy. When it's sold by a seller THROUGH Amazon, sometimes it ain't so easy (as I am learning). About 99% of the stuff I order is through Amazon as main seller. Will let you know how this seller handles the return.
As for placing pics from ideabooks.....when I see a picture I want to add here, I right click on the picture and then select "save picture" and name it in my picture folder. Then when I want to put it in comments section, I hit the "attach image" icon below. Then I hit "browse" and when I see the picture I want to add I select the option to " open" and it appears after you hit "submit". I am way over-tired and this may be unclear but don't know when I'll be back on Houzz and don't want to leave you hanging!
Will check out Etsy....getting nervous about return on this chipped fixture! Oy the angst of it all. lol
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:23PM
erinbono
LOL rainymorning.....stratch all what I said above. I just tried it and see what you mean. I could have sworn they let me copy pictures from my ideabooks. I tried to copy the code on the embedded pictures but got nowhere I am as clueless about technology as I am with decorating. Sorry!!
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:33PM
erinbono
Attempting to copy! This should be good rainymorning lol
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:43PM
rainymorning
Erin, I hadn't meant to put you to so much trouble. I hoped some geek expert would follow up with instructions. In any case thank you. I hope all goes well with your light return. Most merchants want to keep their customers happy.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:35AM
erinbono
Tried for awhile to figure it out--now I'm very curious at to how its done too :)
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:16PM
rainymorning
Grover knows.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 2:26PM
erinbono
Blech. Bad news on light fixture! They will send another at no cost but if I want a refund I have to pay stocking fee ($30) and pay the shipping. Also have to wait 3-5 days for return confirmation e-mail, print it out and bring to a Fed Ex Store. If they send another of same model they will pay shipping and take care of brining chipped one back. How ironic that light fixtures are burning me out. I think I am going to just get the same model and call it DONE. Worried if I return for a refund they will give me a hassle about chip (that may turn into a crack during shipping). I've learned my lesson---ONLY purchase if shipped and sold by Amazon!!....not sellers that ship through them!!!!! Bet Amazon would back me up if I made a big issue out of it....just too burnt to hassle with it. Fingers crossed the pewter finish won't bug me!! Will post pics once the new fixture is up! @rainymorning---grover know everything lol
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 2:49PM
If you want to post a photo from houzz on this thread, just copy and paste the url (that's the string in your browser's address field beginning with http://) into your comment. The picture will show up.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    May 31, 2014 at 3:37PM
Cristina Hopper
Erin, you said you liked the way the fixture looked once installed, but your DH thought it had more of an outdoor look. Thing is that the lantern style was originally an outdoor type fixture, but has been very popular as indoor fixtures for at least 15 years in high end residences along the East Coast. So now, I'm also eagerly awaiting pictures once you get the replacement. By the way, if you really don't feel comfortable with it, then the restocking fee is worth it.
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:48PM
erinbono
Thx Cristina...Will post pics once new one arrives!! Maybe this IS kismet for the most indecisive houzzer ever. Fingers crossed! grover--going to try it again. Thx!
    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:59PM
rainymorning
Keep the damn light, as it were. It will be lovely and you can move on to other things. The light will be there to remind you of all the rigamarole you've been through. And: hey, Grover, thanks for the posting instructions. Easier than I imagined. You're the best!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 1, 2014 at 4:58AM
Cristina Hopper
So we're in a hold and wait pattern?
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:01AM
rainymorning
Eager to learn how that light worked out in your foyer.
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 1:32PM
Cocoweb
I suggest an art light from www.cocoweb.com on these interiors!
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 2:51PM
erinbono
rainymorning I am taking your sound advice and just keeping it. The rigamarole of this whole thing has done me in. Thank the Lord for Amazon. So, here it is, way too small. Only a few inches smaller that other one I ordered that was too contemopary but guess a couple of inches makes a dig difference in light fixtures. But, on the bright side I do like the finish lol.
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:41AM
erinbono
May just buy a cheap one @ Home Depot if I can't handle this one--non-refundable at this point. Not going to let it get me down as I have a huge family gathering in July and it's time to get the rest of the house in decent shape (look for me my Houzzer Girls--starting a new thread with help for my living room cabinets!) But need your help on the picture in-between the closet and garage door. I am a Hospice RN and my very favorite patient passed away recently. She had cerebral palsy from birth but lived an amazing and beautiful life! She actually drew with her feet (yes, her feet!!) When she died her family honored me with one of her sketches. Want it to shine in my foyer and like this spot for it. Any suggestions on matt/frame to make it cohesive with rest of foyer? Here is a close up of sketch (won 1st prize in art exhibit!)
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:50AM
Lainie D'Eon
Wow, amazing ..very talented.. that is so sweet!. A lovely memory. May I suggest a black frame to balance the bench & mirror on the opposite wall. However it does look a bit jammed in between the doors. Maybe the space on the wall at the beginning of the stairs would give it more room & the ceiling pot light is already shining on that wall space which would highlight the picture.
    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 8, 2014 at 9:36AM
abbyjean
What a very very special piece of art and how nice the family remembered you with it. What a treasure and how nice you want to showcase it. Might need to see more of the wall where you are thinking of putting it and see it in relation to the rest of the space and all to really help decide on the mat and frame.
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:42AM
rainymorning
Your treasured art would benefit with a black wood frame. Maybe hang it on the staircase wall (as I see Leona suggested) by itself for all to enjoy while reflecting on the "ups and downs" of life. How blessed was your patient to have you for her nurse, and you to have her as your friend and patient. I can't say enough good things about Hospice.

Your light looks wonderful. Let it shine, let it shine!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 8, 2014 at 9:48AM
abbyjean
Forgot, as I was so excited about the art.......I like the light, too! Everything about it works in this space for you now!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 8, 2014 at 9:57AM
abbyjean
When you say stair case wall, are you thinking at the bottom of the steps or on the landing? Where?
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:58AM
Lainie D'Eon
@abbyjean, when I suggested staircase wall I meant at the bottom of the steps. If you look you will notice that there is a "ceiling pot light" directly shining on that spot on the wall.. how lucky is that. And the fact that there was never any mention previously about placing anything in that spot... just meant to be!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 8, 2014 at 10:26AM
erinbono
Have always had something in the space between closet/garage door.....when it's empty it feels unbalanced to me. With a black frame (at least in that spot) there just appears to be tooo many back squares! My patient LOVED decorating too.....she would keep her husband busy rearraging her apartment every day LOL. Can't fit the whole foyer in one pic AND Having computer glitches and having trouble downloading. Will keep you guys updated! xoxo
1 Like    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:57AM
Lainie D'Eon
Good luck with your computer .. they can be so annoying. How about a piece of narrow, metal wall art in that space between the doors to add a different shape?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:11AM
rainymorning
Agree with Leona. I had an awkward empty space between two mirrors over double sinks in the bathroom. I finally hung a antique long-handled copper ladle there and it looks just right.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 3:54PM
jen046
I know this is probably a weird comment, but what about putting a slender, long, colorful, interesting umbrella in the coat/umbrella stand and a funky cap up top? Take down the bag.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 8, 2014 at 4:46PM
abbyjean
Well, never mind even as I went back and looked at pics and I can see this art between doors just fine already! I can understand the feeling that something needs to be there, but I think the pic just looks too crammed in to that space. If you are worried about putting a nail hole in the wall, tape off the art on the stairway to see if the size can hold its own there.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 5:40PM
abbyjean
Love the idea of putting an umbrella and a cap on the coat rack, but I happen to like the bag there, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 5:42PM
erinbono
Narrow metal art is JUST what I've been looking for......and looking hard too. Because the closet doors are always thrown open by the kids, I can't have a candle holder there.....even the ones with just a little tealight will damage the door. I bought a nice long rustic key and thought it may have worked just to add a little balance but it was too short.
I bought a new frame for my special ballerina....black frame with clear glass matt that may not make it a better fit for the space? When I find time I will get it together to see what you think. My patient and I discussed decorating a lot (we had so much fun decorating her side of the room @ Christmas!) She would have LOVED Houzz!!
LOL, picked up the bag while we were waiting on line at HomeGoods. My 12 year old said "Mom, seriously? You're buying something for the coat rack but you won't buy me a new iphone charger?" Ha--wait until she finds out the coat rack is getting an umbrella and a hat!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 9:19PM
abbyjean
I like the idea of a key by the door. Have you looked on etsy even?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:27AM
rainymorning
Get several keys and hang them in that spot. Pottery Barn had some really neat ones sold in a set (my sister gave them to me for my birthday.) Maybe they still sell those.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:05AM
rainymorning
Here's a photo of the PB keys I mentioned.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 3:58PM
Cristina Hopper
Erin, the art piece your received is really beautiful and very meaningful. Have you thought about using that along with the smaller two pieces and perhaps the sun mirror in an arrangement above the bench in the entry? Put the mirror in the middle and flank it with these are pieces. I know the mirror is currently above your bed, but you could test the arrangement on the floor if the idea appeals to you.

The story with your daughter is funny. Little do these kids know that as parents we no longer have the disposable income of our pre-child days, for travel, clothes, fancy restaurants etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:26PM
erinbono
Hello all my Houzz girls. So, I bought a hat for coat rack (lol) and finally just moved the darn thing! It's now in the garage (we use the garage entry lots anyway) right before entry into foyer. Husband didn't complain (yay!). Trying to balance wall to L of door to wall to R of door. Like the idea of pictures there to balance the bench and extend the eye over it? Need fresh eyes though! Budget is less than $50 at this point and HUGE family get together here this summer and want the house to look nice. Do you guys think this can work? Plan on having one--maybe two frames in black and the rest white (all items on R wall are white) but want to pull in the black mirror/frames over the bench. Yikes Frames higher/lower? Also have only one very large key and bought smaller ovalish mirrors but can't fit them it. Thanks so much!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:40AM
erinbono
Trying again! And Christina I think I would have went for sunburst over bench somewhere along the way if I got brave enough, but I did drop it and shattered some strips of mirror. Covered it with painters tape.....can't tell behind my bed but you can tell if you look close!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:43AM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono..

At the door is it possible to add a wide .. the total width of the door... I think it would add some softness to that area .. (maybe black with a hint of tan)?
Maybe starting to have too many wall pics ..getting quite busy. Why did you decide to remove the coat rack? I think it really added to your look... liked the height & curves of it (since you have a lot of square shapes going on already). You could add just one tall wall pic to the left to echo the one on the opposite wall.. The coat rack would give you an opportunity to echo some color of the large area mat in this area.

Could you pull the area rug to be under the bench , orb & tall candle...would look more connected to the bench arrangement.. & give a bit more walking space at the bottom of the stairs. Please show us a pic of that.. just for curiosity.. ..thanks.

These changes would only cost you the price of a door mat!!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:09AM
rainymorning
I'm thinking you don't need anything on those walls by the door. A rug at the door would be most practical so as not to mess up your beautiful wood floors. And like Leona, I like that coat rack and wish you had not moved it. As for a rug by the door, something with red and maybe black to pick up the red in your other (new) rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:59AM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono.. sorry ..in my above post meant to say a wide "MAT"
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 1:36PM
Lainie D'Eon
erinbono.. what is your wall color in the entry ?.. LOVE it.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 1:38PM
erinbono
LOL wish I could photoshop so I could show you guys what I'm thinking before I do it! I can totally bring back in the coat rack and and just take down frames. Rug is going to be tricky. Odd shape of the foyer throws everything off. Hard to show why it doesn't work without something there now. Will see what I have around the house to fill the space! They actually have the same rug I do now in a ize that would work. Going to be hard to make something work with cherry rug as the texture of it makes it unique. Just got home from Home Goods with girls and their friends....happy I didn't buy more frames lol. Thx everyone!!!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 3:31PM
rainymorning
So will patch up the holes in the walls?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 5:31PM
abbyjean
I am voting for the coat rack, too. Lots on the wall there and nothing on the floor, so it looks bare because of that. A coat rack is also functional and not just decor. I think one wall of pics which you already have there says WELCOME and nothing on the opposite wall is necessary.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 25, 2014 at 5:40PM
erinbono
Yup....going to patch up the holes on all of the walls and call it done. Leona, still have the paint in the garage. When I dig it out to patch up the holes I'll let you know the name of color.....It's Eddie Bauer Caramel something-or-other. Still working on a frame for my patient's artwork. It is so fragile I hate that I keep trying it in different frames but want to get it right. I ordered candle holders that are very thin but round and hoping they will work in that darn space between closet and garage door. Coat rack will move back in but it's "hat" was returned today. Ha! Candle holders will arrive tomorrow so will take a pic and try to find a mat to put in front of the door. Thx again my girls....so grateful I have all these fresh and wonderful eyes helping me! xoxo
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:14PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono.. good job Erin.

Looks like you are on a "ROLL". So are you up for trying to put the rug under the bench.. would love to see what that looks like.

The coat rack will really help to camouflage the fact that the door is not centered on that wall.
I think that your guests at the family get together will be impressed with your decor!
Can't wait for the final pics.

Thanks for considering our humble suggestions. Guess it takes a village to decorate an entry..LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 25, 2014 at 9:50PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono.
.
Have been closely following your post..enjoying every minute.

Just a few observations. I think a green plant in the entry would add a lot of life to the space.. what about one on a stand to the left of the bench as groveraxel had shown previously... then remove the candle stick (seems too small there & already enough black there).... keep the orb...just pulled froward a bit .....between the plant & bench...This with the red rug under the whole arrangement would be a nice focal point.

For me every room needs a lamp. When there was a table by the door did you have a lamp there ... or was there no outlet available..if you needed one there I think you could find a great electrician really cheaper that would be within your budget..LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 5:39AM
er612
My vote is to remove all the small items on either side of the door, bring back the coat rack (same place), reframe the drawing in a wide, dark frame (keep matting?) and hang it next to the coat rack (where the picture collage currently hangs. On a personal note, thank you for your work at the hospice. My grandpa lived in a hospice home for a couple months. It takes a special person to work in such environment and stay positive for patients and families whose emotions run high. The home and its staff were truly godsend for our family.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 26, 2014 at 6:35AM
rainymorning
I have to disagree with the idea of putting the red rug under the bench. I like it where it is because it leads guests (and others) to adjoining rooms, giving them "the red carpet treatment" which is a sign of welcome and honor. As for the art, a wide black frame and a simple cream or white mat with no embellishments would be handsome. When you go shopping for that front door mat, it may turn into an expensive proposition for the size you want. If you don't find something you like and can afford, forget about it. Your home is so beautiful as it is. and since it's summer and you have no worries about tracked in snow when your guests arrive, the bare floor can wait until the right rug shows up.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 7:23AM
nancygulf
Have you thought about two rugs, same pattern, different sizes. It looks like your hallway jogs wider after front entry. You could put a smaller rug in the entry and a wider rug centered in the hallway. I realize this has nothing to do with color, but might be another reason you have not been happy with your rug choices.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 7:41AM
rainymorning
As I look at photos again of your entryway, I think a smaller version of the red rug you already have would be just fine and less complicated than trying to find different colors. It would anchor the doorway without distracting the eye. I'm interested to see if others think this would work.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 8:10AM
erinbono
Thank you everyone for hanging in there with me!! One of the best parts about my durable leather chindi rug is it was very affordable. Going to see if I can get another with right size. Working July 4th and overtime is beautiful pay :)
I've tried grass woven rugs there but even they make the floor look too busy. The wood itself is a little busy all by itself. So, took my Houzzer Girls advice and Mr. Coat Rack (sans hat) is back. Now unsure if I can place my patient's pic next to it? My patient LOVED to decorate and she would laugh when I told her about my struggle with this darn foyer. Really want to work it in but wasn't in love with it between closet/garage. Do we think it could work next to the coat rack? Afraid it won't shine there but want to put it in the foyer as sure it would tickle her (afraid to attempt on stairs before party in July--would open a hole new can of worms lol)
Here is my new candle that won't interfere with closet door--hooray. Have hung it lower after I took pics. Looks OK? Sorry so rushed have 4 wet kids running through the house lol. Yup, summer is in full swing!!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:40AM
abbyjean
I like the idea of a matching rug for right in front of the door. LOVE the red in this space!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 26, 2014 at 11:46AM
erinbono
@Leona--can you tell from the pics that my cherry rug doesn't work great no matter where I put it? lol--I had a larger square (returned--thank you Amazon!) 8x8 that just didn't work either. Wish so much I had found Houzz years ago! Too late to turn back now! Only rugs I have that can go in front of the door are old nasty ones but I will try to take pic. And LOL my husband is an electrician but emphatically refuses to add any outlets because it will mess up the wainscoting, walls etc. And I liked the fern too that grover posted next to the bench but with the flower arrangement and plant right next to it it looked too "bushy" Will see how the evening goes and try to take a pic. For now, just really want to make the best of what I have because I am working next 11 days in a row and time will be so limited......what I desperately need help with is arranging table top!!! Have to go start dinner (boooo) but will post more pic. Cannot tell you guys how much I appreciate your help!!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:58AM
rainymorning
The coat rack is good but you don't need any pictures where it is. On the opposite side of the front door would be the wall to place your patient's framed picture because the front door opens the other way so the picture will never be covered up when one comes in the doorway. Candle looks nice in the narrow space. Just be sure nobody opens the closet door too far and smashes the glass. Love, love, love your house. The architecture is interesting and I think adding too many things in the foyer detracts from what is already there: paneling, floors, staircase, etc. By the way, are you enjoying the ceiling light? I think it looks very nice without stealing the show. One other thing you might try (or not?) is to remove all the things from your table by the stairs and put just one large item there such as the vase. See if it doesn't make a difference.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 26, 2014 at 11:59AM
erinbono
Forgot about this small rug! 5'3" x 3'.....anchors the door nicely but they don't make the smaller cherry leather rug in that size. It's either 4 x 6 or 30" x 50". Hmmm. Two rugs also make it obvious that cherry rug isn't exactly 5 x 8 (manufacturer says because it's handmade, it's almost impossible to have exactly square). Leona, I put a fern next to the bench but just not loving i there. It just looks " bushy". My mother is like the plant-whisperer but I have a "black thumb". Whenever I go to visit my mother she very gently reminds me not to get to close to her plants lol. Have to keep thinking/looking for something that may work. :)
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:22PM
erinbono
@mygirl rainy, glad you like the candle! I slammed open the closet door a few times (my kids will, sooner or later) and no mark on the door and candle didn't budge. Surprising but very pleased! Sigh of relief. And now that I went through the rigamorale of buying frames, getting family pics in black and white AND finding a way to slightly conceal that light switch that messed with I am loathe to take it down. If I put just her drawing there, the light switch would fight with it. Sure it will find it's place to shine...just can't rush it.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:31PM
rainymorning
That rug by the front door works great. Candle-stand by coat rack , not so much. The photos on your wall by entrance are not terrible so I wouldn't go changing things until you have the time and energy and will to do so. The plant looks pretty healthy. Maybe you'll find another place for it. How about the kitchen?
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:59PM
Cristina Hopper
Erin, Oy girl there is no need to stress. Your room is coming together nicely. I understand not wanting to use the mirror because it's chipped, but if you should it use anywhere in your house this entry is a better spot for it than your bedroom. I don't know if you ever think of Feng Shui, but having something broken in the bedroom is not a good idea for your partnership. As corky as this may sound, you don't need to move it right now, but if you feel discord starting, get the broken mirror out or go to a local glass place and get a new one put it. it'll be $15 for a piece that size.

I like the idea of harmonizing all your picture frames on your walls. I like that you will use more whites than blacks. But this is also a good time to think about editing. remember that the eye needs a place to rest. In principle I advise all clients not to hang anything if your wall is less than 36" wide. The end decision is yours, but there is such a fine line between well decorated and cluttered. The same goes for your rugs. IMO the second rug by the door is not necessary. The colors seems to harmonize well enough, but your entry is one space, one use, so a second rug is not needed to delineate another area. For me personally, the space looked more polished before adding the second small one by the main door.

I think your main focus should be the wall behind the bench and the tablescaping. I'd go back to TJ Maxx/ Homegoods with a precise plan in mind. For the wall you're looking for texture elements in a white finish. I would use a floor-length table cloth in a neutral-yellow linen for your round table and find some red decorative element for that tabletop.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by erinbono    June 26, 2014 at 3:27PM
erinbono
@rainy, lol the plant is a happy fake fern:) Moved it from living room and just stuck candlestick out of the way to try the fern there. The empty frames near the coat rack are coming down, still have to play with pictures on other wall. It's that lightswitch that really limits my options on that wall.....I will make it work (even if takes a few years lol). You can't see it in the pics but that smaller rug is a deep burgundy with busy pattern. If I do add another rug I need it to be more neutral. Hmmm...
@Leona...definitely leaning towards distressed white frames! Will work so much better over the bench and I'm thinking and looking. I come from a long line of cluttered spaces so it is in my blood--fighting against it, believe it or not :)
I've seen the round tables with the table cloths and they never speak to me....look too fussy for my home, I'm thinking. My round table is BIG and just the flower arrangement looks empty. Any ideas on what I can place there so it doesn't look cluttered but has some personality? Just threw things up there so you can get an idea of things from around the house. I was thrilled to find a red picture frame and then spray painted my other frame and now there is too much red. Looking for quick easy fix until more time/money is available. I will post these and then go take more as you girls guide me. xoxo
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 4:20PM
erinbono
Ha! Here are some sad results! Have to keep flowers for now, just unsure of how to make it look not too bare/not too busy. My husband strolled in and stopped to watch me for a minute before he shook his head and walked on by. LOL, he doesn't understand how this can be fun. Took down my numbered hooks as just by adding that slim candle, there was too much going on! Giving up for tonight and going "night swimming" with the girls....as always, your ideas/advice are greatly appreciated :)
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 5:13PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erin.. with all that decor moving you will be worn out before you start your long work schedule!
As you said the round table is BIG.. so think big when placing items on it. Have you tried putting the orb on the bottom shelf.. would show nicely against the dark wood. The table could be turned a bit so that there would only be one opening on the front side. When looking at the table from the entry door the items on the table should be large enough so they can be easily identified. From the entry door is it possible to read the saying on the wall? If not maybe relocate it to the wall on the right of the door.. would add al lot of interest there.

Then on the table top you could use something higher.. was thinking maybe a good sized lamp but when coming down the stairs you would be looking directly down into the light bulb. Right now with the position that the legs of the table are orientated any piece of decor that is placed directly in the middle of the table top appears to be growing out of the middle leg ( just the way I see it).
Although the yellow flowers in the vase are very nice.. they are a bit too spikey along side the metal spindles of the stairs. A wider vase (maybe not clear) with much puffier flowers would be a better choice fro the size of the table. remember .. think BIG.

Another choice would be to try that bushy fake fern.. that does add a lot of softness to the space.. put it in a decorative pot that has a pattern & place it to the left side of the table with just one other item to the right .

Your entry is big.. bench is a good size so don't be skimpy with the decorative items. If they are larger the space won't seem so busy.

Would love to be at your home with all the Houzzer girls. Can you imagine the "Moving Party we would have?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:10PM
rainymorning
Try that fern on the round table by itself. If it has "pot's abilities" maybe something similar in a pretty ceramic container would be just the thing. Are you going crazy with all these varied opinions?
Whoops, I see that Leona had that very same idea about Fern! Great minds?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:22AM
Lainie D'Eon
@rainymorning.. hey are you reading my mind? You must be a plant lover also. I think that a plant adds so much LIFE to a room.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 7:20AM
rainymorning
@Leona: Yes, Hooray for plants. I love a live plant in a room. Erin's fern, however, is fake. If it looks good on her table, we'll have to help her find one that will thrive in that spot. Her mother will be so impressed!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 12:35PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rainymorning.. YES!
The only ones that I can think of that MIGHT survive in that very low light would be a Chinese evergreen or a Dieffenbachia. They both have variegated cream & green leaves which would brighten up that spot. They would also be bushy which I think is needed for a change from all the square objects in the room. Even these 2 in fake plants do look very real. Can you think of any other real plants that would be suitable for this low light spot?
I am an avid gardened so I NEED plants in my house especially during the winter months. That's when I give them a lot of attention. In the summer it's my outdoor plants that get all the love. Are you a gardener also?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 6:25PM
rainymorning
@Leona: here we go picking out plants for Erin even before she agrees she wants one. I'm thinking Bird's Nest Fern or Peace Lily. As for me, I'm a sort of armchair gardener. I pick the stuff out and hubby does the grunt work. I have some physical limitations of late so don't get down in the dirt. Have watched a lot of trees we planted a dozen years ago grow quite large and turn the property into somewhat of a jungle. But I digress....
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 7:18PM
Lainie D'Eon
@rainymorning .. I believe you meant to type Peace Lily? Yes I agree the peace lily is super easy to grow with very little care. Perfect for a busy working MOM. The leaves are nice & shiny with a bonus cream bloom. Excellent suggestion. O love trees & have quite a few around my yard. Wondering if erin will consider trying her fern on the table.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 8:41PM
erinbono
A Peace Lily fern? Sounds pretty! But plants really do hate me. My mother says once I go through menopause it should get better? Huh? Will bring it up to my mother but think she would feel guilty giving me approval to even try a plant. Animals love me......plants wither when I stand next to them :) Will search around my next day off (July 7th-ugh)
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 5:39PM
Lainie D'Eon
@erinbono..
Peace Lily is the one I was speaking about. Google .. image of peace lily. My Dad who lives alone can even grow this plant! Make sure to keep it away from any heat source. If you absolutely can't make a plant live .. the Peace Lily is the one for you. Give it a try.. you might be surprised! I you have no time or interest in looking after a real plant .. there are some very realistic looking "fakes " out there .
Maybe put you current "fake " fern there & show us a pic when you have time.
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 6:37PM
rainymorning
@erinbono...
FYI Peace Lily is not a fern; it's a lily! Your mom may be on to something regarding menopause. Nurturing children takes up most of your energy thus far; later you can transfer that skill to other living things. Perhaps you can get the lily and assign another family member to care for it such as one of your children. The plant will thrive and the child will take pride in a new skill.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 9:38AM
rainymorning
Almost a month has gone by since last post. Did your company come and did they love your house? Of course they did! Did you buy a live plant? Is it still green and growing? Eager to see what you're up to now and how the entryway items got arranged.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:38PM
TINY house, TINY budget....help please =)
So we bought a house 3 months ago.... it is tiny (and...
manonnoumea
Major Help with my Dining Room!!!
Here is a picture of my dining room. I just bought...
simonebum
Need help with Houzz limerick design.
Here's my dilemma: should I post these and, if so,...
flopsycat1
Help with tray ceiling and decoration
This is the formal living room part of the house, I'll...
Maritza Lahodik
Photoshop please :)
Would really like it if someone can photoshop these...
dorika
Question about my kitchen
We bought our house 2 years ago and is now around 10...
Marie Merritt
Help with rug and pillows
Please help me pick a rug and pillows. Yellow does...
eliza909
need help for a granite top base
I found a somewhat L-shaped granite top that i want...
riverauthority
Please suggestions about the tiles of my kitchen walls
Below you can find two animated pictures for my kitchen.i...
tomaderibrahim
Starting over and overwhelmed
We are replacing all windows, siding and roof. We...
pdilligan