Need help picking out new colors for our music room
librarianliz
My husband and I moved into our new house last summer and we're finally getting around to painting some of the rooms so I need color ideas for our music room! I'd like to have fun with the color for this room, but am leaning towards navy blue and gray. I'm going to paint the trim and brick a semi-gloss white and I'd like to have one accent wall. Attached are the photos of the room (taken by the sellers).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
rainymorning
I assume that back wall which looks like wood panel is actually brick. If you want an accent wall, why not use the brick because it already has texture and that sets it apart. A deep nautical blue would be lovely with soft gray on the other walls. Why do you want o use semi-gloss on the wall. Keep all the walls the same paint sheen in satin or egg shell. Only use semi-gloss on the white trim.
April 28, 2014 at 9:44am   
librarianliz
Actually the wood panel is wood, but the former owners created some kind of cracked paint affect on the wall. We have a TV on that wall now. I was thinking of making it the accent wall? And I only want to use semi-gloss white on the trim and brick.
April 28, 2014 at 9:49am   
rainymorning
Where is the brick?
April 28, 2014 at 10:21am   
collettec
I would consider painting the wall where the shelving unit currently is a navy blue as an accent wall. I would paint the brick a navy blue as well. I would keep the other three walls a color similar to the wood. I would then bring in some of the tan and blue in window treatments.
April 28, 2014 at 10:32am   
Design Schematic Interiors
If you want to paint an "accent" wall I would do the one with the bay window, it'll help with making the length of the room. Are you changing anything else in the room?
April 28, 2014 at 10:41am   
librarianliz
The brick is along the far wall just above the red cushions. I was actually thinking about painting the wood, brick and trim all white. Once I paint the room then I plan on changing the cushions and then we're going to mount our instruments and other music artwork on the walls. Should I make the entire room navy blue with one gray accent wall or vice versa? The room gets a decent amount of light because of the bay window. What's everyone vote for the accent wall? Decisions, decisions, decisions!
April 28, 2014 at 11:03am   
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Consider painting the brick navy blue and the walls light grey. Then paint the ceiling two shades darker grey than the walls.
April 28, 2014 at 11:11am      Thanked by librarianliz
I prefer accent walls be unpierced by doors or windows, but I think your painted brick surfaces will provide plenty of accent, especially if you paint them navy, as PJ-BI suggested. If you paint them white as you planned, add navy cushions to the white brick bench.
April 28, 2014 at 11:17am      Thanked by librarianliz
Warner Decor
Navy blue and Gray are great together! here are a few red items that may go with it to add a little color:
http://deciture.com/calantha-red-wall-mirror/
http://deciture.com/carson-tall-cutwork-urn/
http://deciture.com/carson-short-cutwork-urn/
http://deciture.com/tweet-bottles-set-of-3/

Hope this helps you!
April 28, 2014 at 11:28am   
librarianliz
So no navy accent wall? I like the idea of painting the brick navy blue, but what about the wood paneling wall and the wooden seats? White or navy blue?
April 28, 2014 at 11:38am   
rainymorning
Paint the one wall you want to accent in navy before deciding to do more walls that color. A dark color will dramatically alter the room. I think light grey would be better with the navy than white walls.
April 28, 2014 at 12:01pm   
mpoulsom
Instead of navy blue, how about choosing a blue that is a little more energetic? Not sure what the color is on these walls, but I think if you painted the accent wall this blue color and left the other walls a paler more neutral color that would be enough to add excitement. Then you add your instruments and/or artwork on the wall space where the previous owners shelving is shown in the pic. I wouldn't use bright white as a trim color either. How about painting your trim and brick in gray and then using a light cushion (grayish-white maybe with blue piping), or a print with your blues, grays, etc on the cushion to tie it all into together.
Another idea is painting the ceiling gray, with your blue accent wall and keeping the lighter neutral color on the rest of the walls.
I would probably use bamboo or woven textured roman blinds or roll-up shades on the bay window in this room.
April 28, 2014 at 12:05pm     
mpoulsom
here is an example of gray trim versus white trim. It's actually very handsome, but most people tend to automatically think white. think outside the box....this is your room for your creative side! :)

]
April 28, 2014 at 12:18pm   
Need help picking out wallpaper for our powder room
Only thing settled for this room is the vanity (attached...
Need help picking out a rug for our living room
We have a light bamboo wood floor and light grey walls....
Need help picking out the color of our shutters!
My wife and I just moved in to our new house a couple...
Need help picking out paint color for our den.
Brown bookcase taupe furniture white trim
What colour should I paint this fireplace?
We have this hideous black tile fireplace surround....
TV is a bit wider than the fireplace
We just re-did the fireplace and planning to mount...
What is this design feature called? Wall recess?
Trying to search ideas for this 2 Foot indentation...
Need help hanging art work
I have some artwork that needs to be hung in my living...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...