Help! Front yard dated? Yes? No?
Liz Kern
I think that the front yard may looked dated - landscaping.... plants, etc.
I don't want to put in too many water thirsty plants but it just seems to not look as mid century "hip"as it could. I'd love to rip out the lawn but I don't think that would be a good idea. Help?!
The roof is dating the house, rather than the landscaping.
April 28, 2014 at 8:03pm     
grobby
I would remove the large round shrubs. That will help some. Would go slowly with removing landscaping. Give yourself time to step back and take a second look before you rip it all out.
April 28, 2014 at 8:09pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Or you could try selectively pruning the round bushes to give them back a more natural shape. Clip them irregularly and see if you can make them each look like a bush again. It won't be perfect, but over time you should be able to free them from the cylinder....
April 28, 2014 at 8:12pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Can you add a seating area with a mid-century vibe to it?
April 28, 2014 at 8:12pm     
Liz Kern
Today we had the tree trimmers come and trim the two olive trees in the front so it looks a lot more sparse than it did before I'm thinking it looks better...
My husband (engineer) had suggested replacing the wood trim on the front of the house with something different. maybe like a copper though that is expensive.
April 28, 2014 at 8:15pm   
Liz Kern
I saw this house over the weekend and I loved its landscaping....
April 28, 2014 at 8:16pm   
Liz Kern
So the big round shrub is too big?
April 28, 2014 at 8:18pm     
Curt D'Onofrio
May be you can hire someone to scrupt the big round bush. It's almost unbelievable what great talent is out there. Here's a site that i like http://digitalphotopix.com/amazing-nature/shaped-bushes/ or do web search "scrupture shrubs" for other ideas. Just for FUN, do a web search for "mickey mouse shrubs"
April 28, 2014 at 8:27pm     
mick50
Yes, it's a weird shape and in an awkward place. You need to post better pics. We can't see much landscaping or house details.
April 28, 2014 at 8:28pm   
Liz Kern
Here are some closer shots.
April 28, 2014 at 9:14pm   
Liz Kern
Hahaha I like this one ; )
April 28, 2014 at 9:17pm     
chromatic
That big round shrub needs to go. Just tie a rope to it and pull it out with your car!

I would put some taller plants that are more linear in those square cut outs on your front walk. Don't know if they grow there, but we call them "snake plant " here. Very low maint, almost like a succulent and looks like a bunch of snakes coming strait up out of the ground.

Also, the mailbox needs attention. The post should be beefier. Change the mailbox to black. Add some plants or a vine around the base. I would plant a row of bushes that would max out at 3 feet tall along the curb at the road. The entire length. Use something that doesn't need pruning so it won't look like a hedge, but more like free form bushes. That will give you some privacy from the road and some dimension.

Try to use plants that have foliage that is other than green. Get some with red leaves or variegated yellow and green mix. And look for different shapes of the plant. Think of ornamental grasses for example. They would look great in front of your house.
April 28, 2014 at 9:33pm     
bitterswt02
Agreed that the roof shingles date the home. But mostly its the drab and neutral color scheme. It blends into the background due to the woodsy area instead of saying here I am.

If you can paint I saw an older house before and after it was a similar palette as yours. New owners painted a stark dark gray with white trim - it looked sooo modern. if you're able to paint the roof trim and exterior walls and add a few hanging flowering plants it will make a huuuuuuuuuge difference. Also you can try a deep high - gloss red paint on the door. Good luck.

Inspiration Ideas -

[houzz=Minikahda Vista Cape Cod]

[houzz=Langley Exterior]

[houzz=Front]
April 28, 2014 at 9:45pm     
bitterswt02
btw I love the landscaping :)
April 28, 2014 at 9:48pm     
Liz Kern
Sheshore, bring your tow rope. That made me laugh! Ok, I am posting a grey on the house that is now my inspiration.
April 28, 2014 at 9:53pm     
Liz Kern
Like this grey....
April 28, 2014 at 9:54pm   
Liz Kern
Snakes.... Like these?
April 28, 2014 at 9:56pm     
Liz Kern
This is an inspiration....
April 28, 2014 at 10:02pm   
bitterswt02
nice I like the gray and the snakes shrub for the walkway.
April 28, 2014 at 10:11pm     
Curt D'Onofrio
@sheshore : LOL...pulling out with rope with my car. I see my bumper ripping off my car
April 28, 2014 at 10:14pm     
nwduck
Liz: It seems the really big sheared shrubs are the main issue. Not that many folks do that any more, opting for more natural forms. I don't think they are such wonderful specimens that you should spare them. (Speaking as a person who also yanked out a few mature shrubs.) It seems you could make a better feature out of things like the large flat boulder there to the right of the picture...say, with a beautiful grass (blue oat grass?) behind it, and a creeping flox in front for spring. Japanese blood grass could be great along your bridge area. And one other thing I think would be terrific...design a custom wood mailbox post/stand and stain it to go with the house. The one that is there just looks a little sad compared to such a great landscape background.
April 28, 2014 at 11:04pm     
Liz Kern
Yes.. The mailbox is pathetic. I have wanted to rip it out for the past 4 years. The only good thing about it is that the white box can been seen from a distance and the base disappears - so that it seems to levitate. But that amusement aside, looking at the house straight on it really does need some work on the box.
April 28, 2014 at 11:55pm   
Liz Kern
Yes, yes, yes!! Like the blue oat grass!!! Didn't know the name but LOVE the style...
It's on my inspiration house I believe.
April 29, 2014 at 12:00am     
Liz Kern
Good ideas!! Thank you, Houzzers!!!
April 29, 2014 at 12:08am   
Something is missing in my family room design...HELP!
I recently remodeled my downstairs with tile flooring,...
Dark wood cabinets or White kitchen cabinets?
We are about to redo the kitchen but we cant decide...
What kind of new garage door?
Need a new garage door, figured maybe I'd update front...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Lighten up and Coordinate Open Floor Plan-Family Room, Kitchen, Dining
We purchased an area rug for our family room that ended...