Help me design my house..starting with my bedroom!
Aaron Chiang
I'm trying to work through my house and wanted to start off with my bedroom. I'm looking for any kind of advice whether it be furniture arrangement, lighting, or anything else.

The one Houzz photo is the type of bedroom I'm going for, but I'm open to other styles too. Feel free to take a look at my Ideabook to get a general sense of what I like.

Thank you!

rinqreation
The layout looks great. Nice basic wood furniture. But remove the bookcase and only add white new furniture. If possible the same height as the (malm?) drawers. Hang some white shelves above the desk and some art above the drawers (in white frames to continue the white trim theme). The wall color looks ok, you could paint the ceiling pale blue/turquoise and add white crown molding.
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 29, 2014 at 4:40AM
All 4 Show, LLC
Can you paint the existing wood furniture a lighter color? In you inspiration picture there is little contrast to the room, suggesting to me that you want a calming vibe in the room. A great rule of thumb in choosing colors for a room is to use a 60:30:10 ratio. The wall paint (dominant color) being the 60%, the secondary color being the 30%, then the 10% being the accent color. If you are looking for that soothing vibe choose analogous colors on the color wheel using the above ratio….good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 29, 2014 at 4:54AM
Warner Decor
Hi! It looks like you enjoy light, airy colors from your houzz picture. Here are a few decor items that you could possibly put on a shelf or shelves to create a calm environment, but also to add color to the area!
http://deciture.com/agio-large-glass-bottle-with-stopper/
http://deciture.com/agio-small-glass-bottle-with-stopper/
http://deciture.com/anemone-candle-holder-set-of-2/ (LOVE these)
http://deciture.com/ik-eliso-light-blue-embroidered-linen-pillow-w-down-fill/
http://deciture.com/ik-zola-embroidered-pillow-w-down-fill/

Hope this helps you get started!
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 29, 2014 at 5:55AM
Aaron Chiang
Thank you everyone for the thoughts so far!

@rinqreation what type of shelf above the desk were you thinking? Also, is removing the bookshelf because there's just too much going on in here?

@All 4 Show, LLC I am definitely open to painting my existing furniture. Maybe like an off white? It'd be a long process since I'd only be able to work on it over the weekends, but I'll definitely post update photos as I progress. Great advice with the ratios!

@Warner Decor I love all of the decor items you suggested including the throw pillows for my bed! and that candle set is really great too.

Do you guys have ideas for the wall above my bed? since I don't have a headboard.
Any ideas for lighting? I just have a ceiling fan with one light.

Also interested in contrast and a little more of a guy's room maybe than what I posted originally:

0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 12:53PM
Warner Decor
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 29, 2014 at 1:07PM
Warner Decor
Do any of those work for you? I also found these pillows that are kind of like the comforter in the Georgian picture:
http://deciture.com/ik-kashia-embroidered-pillow-with-down-fill/
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 29, 2014 at 1:31PM
Aaron Chiang
They are great! I will definitely be taking a serious look at getting these.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 5:42PM
Aaron Chiang
Also, do you think I can get the throw pilows to work on my bed without a headboard?
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 7:30PM
rinqreation
I don't care much for ratios (except the golden ratio) and I like a good portion of contrast. But the bookcase was just too dark and too busy. Maybe you could keep it if you paint it, but I think two different cabinets next to eachother would have to be either the same height and color, the same depth and style, etc.

Love the petrol blue from your last example, not boyish at all if you combine it with the right 'softness'. And a richer color next to the cream walls would make your wooden furniture look better (complimenting colors). Just make sure the wood is the darkest, if you want to achieve the look from the examples.

An easy way to hang shelves is to install horizontal slaths on the sides of the niche and lay the shelf on top. Like this: timeless kitchen
But it would also be nice if you could find a cupboard that fits right in, like the desk. Or another pretty shelf system, whatever floats your boat.
Way Basics Soho Bookcase and Shelf, White
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    April 30, 2014 at 1:04AM
Aaron Chiang
@rinqreation Thank you for the tips! I will figure out what to do with my bookshelf for sure. There's probably no way to rearrange the furniture for them to not be next to each other huh?

Also, I love the idea of painting one of the walls petrol blue. Probably just the wall directly opposite the entrance right? I actually am going for a little bit of "boyish", "masculine" in designing this room so it would work well.

For the shelf, maybe even something like this
but lighter in color and shorter in height would be cool

I can't wait to get working on this!
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 12:35PM
Aaron Chiang
does anyone have more thoughts? i'm still trying to piece everything together
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 8:54PM
studio10001
You might be able to arrange it so that the bookcase and bureau weren't next to eachother, by replacing the bureau w 2 2-drawer nightstands to replace the 4-drawer. If budget allows, however,I think incorporating all the storage into a single hutch piece would be a cleaner look, and closer to your inspiration photo.
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 1, 2014 at 9:08PM
cyndie
Flip bed on the wall where the shelf and dresser are if you want to have the tv idea then put your dresser straight across your bed could put a tv on it put book shelf in the corner across from your bed
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 1, 2014 at 9:15PM
cyndie
Also throw pillows you can use since you don't have a head board for a full/queen get two of the larger throw pillows place against the wall use two reg standard pillows in front of those and a small throw one like skinny rectangular and put in front of the reg pillows so bed don't look boring an plain
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 1, 2014 at 9:44PM
cyndie
Sorry have to keep looking at pictures Also the things above your bed look tacky there put them on the side wall of computer so when someone walks by there not like what the hell who does that just saying lol... The map should be removed you can get cheap art from ikea, Ross, gordmans, Burlington coat factory, walmart, target, tj max, etc
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 1, 2014 at 9:51PM
Aaron Chiang
Great thoughts, thank you! I will definitely be working on getting throw pillows together and do you think I'd be able to buy a separate headboard to either slide in between my bed and the wall or just nail it to the wall? and yeah the stuff above my bed is definitely tacky haha
1 Like   May 1, 2014 at 11:08PM
studio10001
Attach to the wall via french cleat. Google for how-tos.
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 2, 2014 at 9:56AM
cyndie
Aaron Yes you def can find them like both ways
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 7:36PM
Aaron Chiang
@cyndie sweet! I like a lot of those headboards
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 10:24PM
Aaron Chiang
does everyone agree that the bookshelf has to go? and that i wouldn't be able to rearrange the two pieces? If so, any ideas for a dresser/bookshelf combo? i'm thinking a tall hutch might be overwhelming for such a small room.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:13PM
cyndie
Have you tried to rearrange it and see I'd it looked good where the bed was on that wall?
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:27PM
cyndie
if it would look good* damn phone
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:28PM
cyndie
You have drawers under your bed and the dresser is the only thing white in there right now...do you use this room Daily or is it a guest
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:34PM
Aaron Chiang
ohhh actually I'm not gonna have a TV and I wanted the head of the bed right across from the entrance so I probably won't move the bed. I appreciate that idea though! So I'm trying to see if there's away around that, but I'm also open to getting rid of the bookshelf too haha
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:35PM
Whispar Design
Do you need the fan for comfort or do you want to replace the fixture all together and if so are you thinking something similar to your inspiration room ?

Also, by chance is there a pot light in the desk alcove? A single pendant light would be a cool look.
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 4, 2014 at 9:40PM
Aaron Chiang
@Whispar Design - Honesty I hate the fan LOL. I'd love to replace it all together mainly with recessed lighting, but it's just so expensive. Unfortunately I don't have a potlight in the desk alcove.

For a fixture I might like something like this:

Any other ideas for light throughout? Maybe more nice lamps?
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:47PM
Whispar Design
Maybe something like this?

I apologize for linking this next one but it is a new arrival and we have not yet added it to our houzz idea books... but it is a cool fixture http://www.whispardesign.com/chandeliers/707-diffusion-drum-chandelier

Yes, one or two lamps would add some nice ambient light and give a opportunity to add a pop of color.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 9:57PM
Aaron Chiang
oh my goodness i love the first one (maybe a little more than the second one). So definitely something like this will be a nice central light fixture for my room. Do you think I'd still be missing out by not having any recessed light? It seems like most nice bedrooms or houses in general have recessed lights and i like the feel of them, but if I can create a good enough lighting scheme without them then that'd be cool too.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 10:08PM
Whispar Design
Recessed lighting is nice but not always necessary, especially f the cost to install them outweighs the benefit. A classy overhead fixture and one or two well chosen lamps can provide enough light for a room that size and create the ambiance you want. The focal point of most bedrooms is the bed. Find a duvet set you really like and then pull colors or textures from that for room accents.
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 4, 2014 at 10:23PM
cyndie
Get rid of the book shelf
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 4, 2014 at 10:26PM
Aaron Chiang
ok! haha by the way, to answer your last question, this is my room, not the guest room. I'm not in it that much though except to sleep but would spend more time in it if it were nicer.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 10:39PM
lara0
I would consider painting the bed and the your desk a dark chocolate color and try to construct a wooden headboard in the same color. It would be nice if your bed is your focal point, so I would put 2 nightstands (maybe out of metal or something more modern...) on its side with table lamps. A big piece of art over your headboard could set the color sheme for your room. I could imagine something in dark blue or teal... I think, that the shelf needs to go... Instead I would consider some shelving that go up to the ceiling, similar to your inspiration picture in white...
0 Likes   Thanked by Aaron Chiang    May 5, 2014 at 4:04AM
Aaron Chiang
Oh great idea!
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 6:32PM
view my house layout and help me please! Starting over at 50!
Dear creative friends, We are 50 with two adult children...
jmramella
Need bedroom design help for my daughters new house
My daughter bought a really expensive bedroom set before...
missreneerow
Help me design my vacation home bedroom!
I have a teal blue headboard and that's it for furniture...
lovinglife7
Help me for Design my bedroom
plz help me for design my bedroom free Space in winger...
milad3002
Help me design my bedroom?
Since I laid eyes on this picture I can't stop obsessing...
Latonya Rodgers
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Change to a chandelier style light
We have 12 foot ceilings in our cottage dining room....
piker
Help me with my wall colour please.
My couch is beige with a distinct pink undertone, which...
glynny
To paint or to Clean and refurbish the wood?
House built in 1903. What should we do, paint the posters...
vickie chaffin
will this ceiling molding make my ceilings appear taller?
I have 92"-93" ceilings. I have simple crown molding...
ayeymg