Troubled with Tile Problems

kiwitinaApril 29, 2014
My contractor said in order for the wood look tile to be stable, there must be a grout width of 1/8" at least. I'm not sure if 1/8" will be too large of a gap causing the wood tile to look odd once placed. Tile must be in the kitchen for cleanliness, but I love the look of wood. We will have dark cabinets and light granite countertops. Transitional style.

Is laminate even an option? Or should I just find a different tile? Any tile suggestions? Also wondering how laminate would hold up if used in the bedrooms?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Patricia Colwell
I am under the impression you want these to look like hardwood in which case 1/16 grout lines would be the way to go, the grout is not what makes the tile stable the mortar and the sub floor do that job the grout finishes the look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:25AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Wood tile floors have bevelled edges to encourage the look of wood. A wide grout line is a bit old fashioned. I would check with the tile manufacturer to find out their suggestion is for grout.

Laminate in a kitchen should be a no-no. Many people have done it with several having issues with plumbing ruining the laminate. Laminate in bedrooms is more than appropriate...but it is loud and cold. Make sure you work with the highest end under pad you can afford. Cork is your best underlay material for price, acoustics and thermal insulation.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 12:11PM
kiwitina
Thanks for your help! I was so glad to get a quick response.

After speaking with the contractor and the tile store, I found that the manufacturer suggests 1/8" because of the shape of the edge of the tiles. I ended up selecting a different tile 22x22 for the kitchen, dining area and living area. The color is a better contrast against our dark cabinets too.

I've realized that I don't like the sound of laminate (but still love the look of wood), so we are doing the wood grain tile for bedrooms. I'm excited to see the end result! I will try to post a picture when it's done.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:28PM