Wall Woes
susanrcope
April 29, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I have a fairly large Master Bedroom and along with that some pretty high ceilings (20') on one side which makes for a design dilemma. What should I do about massive wall? There are two wall sconces that are on either side of the bed. I have no furniture yet because I really want modern/deco style (which isn't popular right now) so there is nothing that seems to fill the bill. I thought of putting molding like columns to accent the sconces, but one would be taller than the other and I wasn't sure I would like that. I also thought of some horizontal lines but that is a little tricky too visually. Does anyone have some good suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
20' on one side. A sloped ceiling? If you want Art Deco, gather long columns of fabric in satin from the ceiling and hang them down. Install up lighters in the floor. Dramatic and simple. Do you have photos of your room please
1 Like   Thanked by susanrcope    April 29, 2014 at 2:13PM
laurakdesigns
Photos of the room will help!
0 Likes   Thanked by susanrcope    April 29, 2014 at 2:13PM
susanrcope
Sorry about the quality and the messiness of the room. We are in the middle of rennovating so things are not where I want them to be. This was taken from the stairs before they were enclosed. Now there is a similar wall there only there is a small door to the storage under the stairs. That is a Cal King bed and those are fairly good sized dressers as bedside tables to give you a reference to the size of things. Otherwise it could seem like a fairly small room.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 3:16PM
laurakdesigns
Don't worry about the sloped ceilings. Think about what you want to create....Start with some ideas:

Art Deco Bedroom

Palmolive Building

Modern Deco
2011 HHL Master Bedroom 2

Dressing Table
art deco BR

Deco Inspired
Art Deco inspired

Think about how far you want to go with the Deco. Inspired by? Authentic? Some influence?

One of the easiest ways is to find a photo of a room you like, then use that as a jumping off point for your own room.

There was a beautiful Art Deco restaurant in my city-- you could get ideas from some of those historical places too.

Traditional colors are the minty green/back/silver. Shapes are rounded, but also straight and layered.

See if anything here gives you some ideas
1 Like   Thanked by susanrcope    April 29, 2014 at 5:18PM
susanrcope
This gives me a lot of food for thought. At least I was somewhat on track with the color pallet that I was seeking out. I think I am leaning more toward Deco Inspired rather than authentic (as is indicated by the style of sconces I have chosen.) I guess there are more Deco type rooms to see I just have to know where to look for them. Thanks for the inspiration.
0 Likes   April 29, 2014 at 7:23PM
susanrcope
What if I took the mirror (or at least something similar in design) from this picture and had it verticle behind each sconce? [houzz=
]
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 3:13PM