Help me with my colour scheme!
katwina79
April 30, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hi Houzzers!
Need some advice. I have been working on my living room colour scheme for a while and I'm just stumped. I'm 50% happy with it, but I want it to feel more unified, and I want the colours to work better together. There are chocolate brown curtains, brown vintage suitcases, and a black piano. A lot of the furniture is second hand. I am finding it hard to match all the bits and pieces, especially with the burgundy red/grey/black/peach rug. What should I remove/add from this room? Should I paint the wall above the fireplace? Should I replace the rug? Replace the large sofa? (We are planning to replace it anyway as it is very old) - if so, what colour??? Move the blue & white armchair to a different room? Put slipcovers on the armchairs? I am going for a retro/vintage/cosy look in this room, hence the vintage suitcases, floor lamp and old books! Any suggestions greatly appreciated..... thanks :) :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rinqreation
A dark petrol/navy wall might look nice. Or vintage blue walls like the suitcase. You could install a chair rail if a full dark wall is just a little too much (and what about an offwhite chair rail&molding with a pale beige below and a rich burgundy/navy on top?)
When looking for a new sofa, I'd say either teal/denim tweed, medium brown leather or a rough linen look. A slightly darker coffee table would be nice (stain?).
You could keep the rug for it's warmth (both color and material), but a neutral would most certainly look good too.
Some inspiration (I think that first one is cute):
Fair Winds Farm
Atherton, California Estate by Markay Johnson Construction
Haverford Gatehouse Renovation
Downtown LA
Town and Country
East-meets-west in San Francisco's Russian Hill
Southampton Residence
Family Room
April 30, 2014 at 2:22am