Small den
susanbturner
What do you think about placement of the sofa caddy corner. We are trying to open up the den which is small. To compound the problem, one wall has built in book shelves, another is the fireplace. Then there is an opening to the kitchen and another to hall and front entrance.
susanbturner
Here is what I have done so far with the den.
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 7:53PM
janethumphreys
Looks like you have 4 completely different upholstered pieces you are trying to group. And that is contributing to your look not gelling. I would get rid of the patterned chair and concentrate on grouping the 3 remaining brown pieces. Because there is so much going on around the perimeter of the room, I would pull everything away from the walls and float it in the middle of the room. The chair with the ottoman may have to go closer to the wall because it takes up a lot of floor space. You also need a coffee table so that you have something all that seating is grouped around. Otherwise the room doesn't make sense. Replace all your toss cushions with cushions that have common accent colour (not brown!) to detract from all the different browns. And add a couple of throws with that same accent colour to tie it all together. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:10PM
laurakdesigns
I think there's a better way to arrange it, but bpneed to see the rest of the room....
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:24PM
susanbturner
I realize the floral wing chair is a real problem. I want to recover it. I am trying to bring out the dusty blue/ gray color in the rug. What do you think about the swatch of material in the pic for this or would a stripe be better? I do need a coffee table. Do you have any suggestions.
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:25PM
susanbturner
Laura. I have attached some different views, one from each entrance into the room as well as pics of the chair and ottoman and the chair which I want to recover. Hope this helps you because I certainly need help,
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:40PM
susanbturner
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:43PM
susanbturner
Laura, I have attached 2 photos, one from the front entrance and the other from the kitchen entrance. Hope this helps you help me!!!!
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:46PM
susanbturner
Noticed wing chair pic did not get to you. Here it is. This one needs recovered.
0 Likes   April 30, 2014 at 8:48PM
laurakdesigns
I think there are a couple things giving you trouble...all the furniture is lined around the perimeter of the room, making it feel rather disjointed. Then, you're working around three single large chairs.

I suppose the recliner must have a prime tv viewing spot?!! If that's the case, try moving the sofa centered in front of the fireplace. More floating in the room. (When you get your coffee table it will make more sense). Then, remove the wing chair altogether.

It would work best if you could do a sofa, one reading/ottoman OR recliner and a pair of chairs. The pair will give you more balance.

See if any of this makes sense!
1 Like   April 30, 2014 at 9:18PM
susanbturner
We have tried to float the sofa and the room is just too small. It blocks the entrances into the room. But doing away with the wing chair altogether is an option.
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 4:34AM
susanbturner
I do get that we are trying to place a sofa and 3 large chairs in a small room which is actually smaller than the pictures make it appear. Using 2 small chairs for balance may work.
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 4:46AM
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
I'm not sure that I like the sofa angled. I would group the seating closer and more efficiently.
1 Like   May 1, 2014 at 4:52AM
susanbturner
I will try once more to float the sofa facing the fireplace. Last try, it created a traffic problem because of the 2 entrances into the room. In addition we "lost" livable space where the sofa now sits. We were able to put a table and chair there but the chair didn't function well for conversation. But..... Will try again.
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 5:13AM
mfwolfe
You stated the problem clearly yourself. The chairs are too big for the room.
2 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 8:36AM
need help with furniture for small den
I am trying to make my breakfast area into a den. ...
tamivernon
Ideas for furniture layout in small den in downtown condo
I need help in laying out the furniture to make sense...
Rebecca Potts
Was wondering what colors to do in a small den colors grey and blues maybe green?
Colors to paint a small den 10 by 10 using blue grey...
barbara2242
Small Room needs to be den/spare bed/and laundry! HELP!
I have a small room which now is currently used as...
kate8713
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
draperies or blinds?
I'm not sure if I should use vertical blinds or regular...
jkaktus1619
Need ideas for the living room
Any ideas on decorating this living room are appreciated...
Mayola Antony
Garage size question.
We are finally going to tear down this original storage...
felixg
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22