I need a flooring solution for a craft room on a cement subfloor
mom929
May 1, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hello, I have a small, downstairs bedroom that I am converting into a craft room. I need a flooring solution that will be able to stand up to the occasional paint or glue spill and be relatively easy for a moderately experienced DIYer to install over a cement subfloor. ( I have done tile and laminate installs in the past). Currently there is pretty horrible 1970s vinyl tiles down there. This room opens up to a staircase that is in oak with a yellow cast, and a red cherry laminate floor. So while I thought of wood plank look vinyl I think that would be too much "wood" in competing tones. What options do I have? I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want it to look cheap. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfwolfe
The options in laminate are many. Have you gone to a flooring store and browsed? Not Home Depot......a real flooring store. I have nothing against Home Depot I just see more variety at flooring stores.
0 Likes   Thanked by mom929    May 1, 2014 at 8:25AM
PRO
McAdams Remodeling & Design
I would agree that this situation lends itself well to a T&G laminate plank flooring. If your existing vinyl tiles are still stuck to the concrete well you don't even have to remove them. Just roll out the pad and install the new floor. There are laminate plank products out there that are made to look like tile, not wood, which could help with your transition issues.
0 Likes   Thanked by mom929    May 1, 2014 at 8:30AM
mom929
Thanks. T&G laminate stands for tongue and groove? I've installed that before, so that would be a good option. But I didn't know that it came in non-wood-plank looks. Are there any brands that you recommend?
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 5:20PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Cork floating floor can go down over the old vinyl. The simplest cork floating floor = $2.29/sf (Golden Beach) or the most elegant printed cork = $4.59/sf. Most of iCork Floor LLCs floors are traditional and can be had for less than $3/sf. The natural colour of cork is "yellow oak" with darker brownish/red splashes of "bark" that do very well up against a cherry wood. Installation = laminate floor install.
1 Like   May 1, 2014 at 5:30PM
orchardsgal
Given your concern about spills, I'd consider one of the vinyls that look like stone or large tiles. It's inexpensive, good-looking and easy to clean. I'm concerned that engineered wood will be damaged by spills and cleaning.
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 9:49AM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
note: you can get 1/16" roll type cork to float the cork T&G over
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 6:52AM