layout help
dreamz84
We got our plan approved and initially I really liked the way our kitchen, breakfast area and family room is plotted but now I am having second thoughts so started looking for picture with same set up but no luck.. so please anybody can find some pictures with same layout let me know as it would give me more idea on how it would look after its done or if I need to change anything. Please find the attached layout of our house
PPF.
Looks like a good livable plan to me.

I'm guessing the refrigerator is on the dining room wall, which seems far from the sink, but in these plans with the large island, it's what you always end up with.

The entry way seems a bit crowded width wise, and with the stairs sort of behind the front door. Looking at the plan -- and realizing this would affect the 2nd floor, the stairs would work better along the garage/great room wall with the bottom of the stairs by the kitchen.
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 8:21AM
rinqreation
Yes, the stairs look quite close to the door. Flipping it is a great idea!
Maybe also move it towards the breakfast area and place the garage door near the front door?
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 8:28AM
PPF.
Was also thinking to push the entry wall back to match the dining wall, and the garage a bit towards the dining room, to give less of a long hall entry feel. Hall table and art or mirror on garage wall centered on dining opening.
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 8:45AM
rinqreation
Have been playing with your layout, this is what I ended up with:
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 2:20AM
dreamz84
rinqreation: thanks for doing that. I like it but was thinking about the garrage. would there be enough space to accommodate 2 cars once we have stairs where you suggested. Please let me know
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 8:26AM
PPF.
When suggesting the stairs be moved, my thought was they would begin in the entry hall. I was thinking that traffic up and down would be better in the center of the home. I also figured the garage would need to be expanded to accommodate the stairs, but you would gain some back by making the entry hall smaller.

I would keep the opening large into the dining room. By moving the entry wall back you gain a nice sheltered entry.

It looks like rinqreation has them starting off the great room, which is the ideal way to minimize changing the upstairs plan. Even the kitchen has changed to a compact plan!
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 9:34AM
rinqreation
Another. Stairs with a landing, starting at entry side (but could flip too). Basement door in garage. Two doors to garage possible, made it a little deeper (hallway near bedroom, emergency exit?).
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 12:02PM
dreamz84
Thanks I just spoke to my contractor and he said it's too late to change anything so would not be able change anything. but thanks everybody for help. But with current layout of kitchen, breakfast and great room can anybody provide suggestions on decorating the place. thanks
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 6:16PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I've seen a lot worse layouts
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 6:48PM
rinqreation
So you're saying he can't move the stairs two or three feet over towards the great room, close up that little pice of wall and make the garage and basement door accessible via a door underneath the stairs? (to make the entry area slightly larger)

Is the second floor and the staircase/hole already built?
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 1:28AM
rinqreation
About the furniture layout:
Personally I like cozy living rooms and open kitchens, so I'd switch dining and great room. I'd have a large family table with comfortable chairs/benches, so family meetings happen around the table, near the garden.
Tall cabinets with an desk inside against the bathroom wall, to have some workspace neatly tucked away and muffle the bathroom noises.
And a sectional or sofas in a smaller lounge with a tv, for long film nights and lazy sundays.
1 Like   May 5, 2014 at 1:35AM
dreamz84
rinqreation: thanks so much for the idea but the contractor said that the frames has already arrived. I also asked about moving the stairs to start little behind so to have enough room towards entry but he said that the second floor doesn't have space to do it. and he said that we have 4'8" of space after the entry and before the stairs so it should not be very crowded. so I guess I don't have option.

Also regarding furniture and layout please share some pictures if you can find.

thanks again.
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 5:44AM
dreamz84
rinqreation: also are you suggesting to use great room as dining and vice versa. I was confused so wanted to clarify.
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 5:46AM
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
I think that the layout works well. The only other alternative is to remove the breakfast and have the great room encompass the full space.
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 5:58AM
dreamz84
pierre: thanks I was also thinking in that direction but then would it feel empty as I am planning place my couch on walls that has 3 windows and tv on the wall which is shared by garage and great room. Please guide
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 6:24AM
Nancy Walton
I would not place theTV opposite a wall of windows--you will not like the glare on the TV. The short wall against the bathroom would be better to minimize glare, then float your sofa in the room with the back toward the kitchen.
1 Like   May 5, 2014 at 6:31AM
rinqreation
Yes, I meant the dining in the great room, no breakfast, since you already have a few bar stools. Sofas and tv in the front room, now labeled dining.
0 Likes   May 5, 2014 at 1:32PM
rinqreation
Just bumped into this one on the main page:
0 Likes   May 6, 2014 at 8:11AM
Living Room Layout help Needed! Open plan layout
Dear Houzz members, I have been struggling to come...
fili83
Help! Layout v1 or Layout v2?
I need help figuring out 2 things for the small family...
kmerbear
Living Room Layout ... please help me with a better layout!
I am struggling as to how to lay out my living room....
laura0587
Layout Help - Which layout would you choose?
Looking at renovating our house. Here is the original...
noviceninjaneering
Awkward living room layout - help with furniture and new layout
We've undergone a renovation in our house where the...
Melissa Dunn
Need help with kitchen floor!
Hi. We are moving into a 73 year old cape cod home...
klrademacher
Need help on how to change my stucco fireplace color
The color is a bit too peachy for me and we would like...
jillypenguin
Seeking comments on countertops and backsplash for our kitchen
We have been waffling between Carrara marble, Statuary...
summitsittin
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda
PLEASE...help in choosing granite/ quartz countertops and backsplash
Thank you in advance for your help! We have been...
puffnstuff