May Garden Checkup - How is it Going?
For those of you that have planted or are still planning to plant, how is it going with your spring garden? Any issues or triumphs to share? Any tips to pass on?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
The tomatoes are just starting to turn red and the roses are in their second flush of the season. They smell so good!
May 1, 2014 at 2:13PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
phidauex
Tomatoes are turning red?? Where are you?? Here in Colorado we still have a few more weeks of possible freezes, hopefully by next weekend we'll have some tomato seedlings in under cold-frames or walls-of-water. But herbs, winter garlic and snow peas are all coming along nicely.
May 1, 2014 at 2:17PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
cookrenell
Your vegetable garden is beautiful. I live in the high desert in California and I'm just starting to grow my tomatoes and kale. I would love to have a garden like yours. We cannot grow citrus fruits in the desert.
May 1, 2014 at 2:52PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Just to be clear, that's not my garden, just a photo from the site. :) Mine is an empty side yard right now. Never got around to planting. Boo.
May 1, 2014 at 2:54PM   
armygirl1987
I am South Florida and the tomatoes are starting to come in.
May 1, 2014 at 7:28PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
rosecottagehome
Ahhh Army, your garden is getting so big. Looks great. So far behind here in Canada, just getting over a wicked winter. I am longing to plant.........
May 1, 2014 at 8:09PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
armygirl1987
Thanks rose, so happy that everything is all green now.
debsurreal
Depends who you ask - me, my husband or the deer!
May 1, 2014 at 8:10PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
DirectSinks
Here in NY I'm waiting for this weather to get its act together. One day it's 40 degrees, the next it's 70. We just finished having a monsoon. I'm just happy what I have planted didn't blow away! haha Come oooooon summer!
May 2, 2014 at 7:38AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ginadaisy
Here in Long Island our spring has been wonky and my usual very early seed-starting has not been a tremendous success. The tomatoes are almost a foot tall but it's not warm enough to plant them out yet, so I'm hiking them in and out every day, they're getting heavy! The peppers are anemic, and I forgot to cover the snap peas last night so all of them became some squirrel's breakfast and I have to start over! But I learned a while back that the single greatest quality a gardener has to have is a sense of humor, otherwise I'd be crying so far this year!
May 4, 2014 at 6:14AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
sguest35
What do people use between the vegetable beds? I heard mulch was not good. Pebbles maybe?
May 4, 2014 at 6:29AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ssgallie
Here in Vancouver, we have pea, zucchini,carrot seedlings sprouting nicely. My first veggie garden
May 4, 2014 at 6:35AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
nezlee55
We, too, experienced that "monsoon" & flooding here in central Ohio, but things are drying out now. My dad, (who is 83 & an experienced vegetable gardener), has only planted onions and cabbage so far. The average frost-free date here is May 15th, so perhaps we are not as far off as it feels after such a hard winter and cold spring. That said, my perennial flowers and the weeds have not been deterred by the weather. They are growing gangbusters. I just hope we don't go from a cold spring directly to a hot summer - too hard on me!
May 4, 2014 at 6:37AM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
northseeker
Mulch is good. If you are buying it, avoid the kind with artificial colors. If you use pebbles you will need edging or some type of barrier to keep them out of your beds.
We are market gardeners and are planting tomatoes in our high tunnels right now. Northern Minnesota. Peas and greens are up!
May 4, 2014 at 6:37AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
nezlee55
To sgues35: You can use about anything between vegetable beds that is non-toxic to plants. I assume you mean something to walk on or to deter weeds in the rows between your plants. You can use straw, mulch, black plastic, mulching fabric, old rugs or carpet squares, boards/planks/plywood cut to size, or gravel. It depends on what is economically feasible and practical for you. If using black plastic or fabric, be careful not to poke too many holes or weeds will pop up through them. Ask your local gardening neighbors or call your state extension service for more options in your area.
May 4, 2014 at 6:47AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Paula Meder
Our lemon tree is finally giving us some lemons or the first we have so much if those we plan to give some to the neighbors. We want to build a green house on the roof to grow more plants since there is no room left in the actual garden but we don't know we're to start..
May 4, 2014 at 7:48AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
sandyslade
I love what looks like the Purple furniture really looks great in amongst the green foliage.
May 4, 2014 at 8:45AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
solarays
Growing great! Beets chard artichokes and snow peas are harvesting... Lettuce and spinach salads galore... Onions are getting bulbous and breadseed poppies are about to bloom!
May 4, 2014 at 9:06AM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Christine Nuland
In Oslo, Norway, the summer flowers i planted from seeds earlier have sprouted, but the seedlings are really small still. The herbs from last year, oregano, thyme, chives and a few others are coming along nicely, wild strawberrys are in bloom already and the tulips are in full bloom too, so summer is on it's way :)
May 4, 2014 at 9:10AM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
ginadaisy
@solarays, where do you live to get such early abundance?
May 4, 2014 at 11:27AM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
rileysgranny
Here in Middle Tennesse, USA we've just planted tomato starts, cucumber seed, jalapeno peppers and herbs. The asparagus I planted earlier has FINALLY shot up a sprout or two, but we won't be able to harvest asparagus for a couple of years :( We relocated our blackberry canes to the raised beds and they are budding out, so I hope to beat the birds to the berries this year. I can't wait to see how everything does this year, as we are trying numerous varieties of heirloom tomatoes and hope to have enough produce to make fresh salsa.
May 5, 2014 at 12:37PM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
solarays
@ginadaisy I started a lot of seedlings under grow lights months before the last frost... But the beets peas artichokes and onions all tolerate cold so they've been growing through the winter. I guess living in the Bay Area, California helps too. It's been in the 90s already.
May 5, 2014 at 3:36PM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
escolat
In Ohio, I am just starting cool weather plants-lettuce onions, collards, mustards and turnips. It is still very cool and wet.
May 5, 2014 at 4:27PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
bungalowmo
In the past 2 weeks I have cleared all the leaves and weeds out of my annual beds. Turned more soil than I want to think about, and planted a bunch of bulbs & seeds along my house near the driveway, and also in the front flower beds.

I'm also trying out the Patchmaster under my shade tree. It's always been just dirt & weeds.... how embarrassing! :0(

When I get up tomorrow I'll get some yard pics. The last 2 weekends have worn me out!!!

Just an FYI....I'm a Virginia Zone 7.
May 5, 2014 at 4:49PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
bungalowmo
Well...here are some of my flower beds. Along the fence line are lots of different types and colors of lilies. In between them are bluebells. Right now it's just all greens but I'm seeing little buds down in there.

Out from the fence a bit I have a Wisteria & several rose bushes & peonies.

Under my shade tree are the hostas & that greenish/whitish stuff is the patchmaster. Hopefully I can get some grass in there!

This last pic, I still need to do some weeding outside the wood border, but right now it's just not a huge priority!

Slow but sure it's getting there....
May 6, 2014 at 9:32AM   
Mary Smith
We got more snow last night, it's 4degrees Celsius today, (I live in Edmonton, Alberta.) I am impatiently waiting for spring.
May 6, 2014 at 9:35AM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
1936mary
Here n coastal South Carolina I have large green tomatoes showing. Expect to have ripe ones by end of May. My butternut squash, zucchini and watermelon plants have blossoms but no fruit yet. I am harvesting spinach, red leaf lettuce and basil. I grow everything in galvanized containers filled with a custom soil mixture and compost.
May 6, 2014 at 7:08PM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Ann
Finally spring is springing in Colorado. I no longer do vegetable gardening but have been working on choosing wonderful plants and shrubs for my yard over the last 10 years and everything is finally welcoming spring in the last two weeks. Pictured is my Red Feather Viburnum, Korean Spice Viburnum, Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry and Moonshadow Euonymus.
May 6, 2014 at 8:18PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
mbh100
l wuild like to make the gurden much better
May 7, 2014 at 12:51AM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Ann
One more pretty shrub opening up in my garden. This is center glow ninebark.
May 8, 2014 at 3:27PM      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Mixture of different styles
I´m planning to get rid of some furniture and buy...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...