Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingergober

What color should I paint brick?

What color should I paint brick? And shutters. I am changing the shutters to arched shutters. Also I am replacing the door with a double 8ft door and keeping only the arched transom. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    If the bricks must be painted, consider an almond color similar to the current trim work.
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I like what you're planning! BM White Dove is a great choice...here is what it looks like
    http://houzz.com/photos/2483293

You could also try painting the trim first, get your shutters and door, and see how that looks. I think it will really spiff things up. I'm not sure if it's the overcast day, or if your trim is an almond color now, but the White Dove will make it all pop!
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I'd like to see the lantern hanging above your door too!
  • PRO
    Solar Direct Developers Design and Architecture
    9 years ago
    Use Sherwin William's Products for Masonry Brick applications. same product used on commercial buildings . The color really could be anything . It's all about what you like best. A nice light Olive color would look good,, or even a light Blue Charcoal Color if you like darker colors. What ever you do paint or not,, you have a beautiful Home.
  • acroteria
    9 years ago
    If you paint, be sure the bricks are sealed first.
  • houssaon
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The new shutters will partially hide the brick detail of the windows and keystone will get lost with painted brick. It is such a nice looking brick, I'd hate to see it painted. I would lighten up the trim color one or two shades. The shutters would look good in dark green:
    Virginia Highlands Cottage · More Info
    Benvenuti and Stein · More Info
    Traditional Exterior · More Info
    Philadelphia Georgian · More Info

I don't know what color these shutters are, but I think it is handsome:
    Stewart Brannen Projects · More Info

One other suggestion. I would remove the bushes that flank the entry. They are over grown.
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would you paint the trim and brick the same color?
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I do like that photo-- it's all the same, brick and trim
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What kind of light or would you do one on each side of the front door?
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I really think you have such a classic home it's perfect for a lantern hanging above the door like the photo I posted.
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One more question, what about the columns? Would you change them?
  • acroteria
    9 years ago
    LOL, absolutely. The width of the column should related to its height according to the Classical Orders.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    What a beautiful home! I agree with decoenthusiaste and suggest that you leave the brick alone for now. Work on the shutters, door, columns etc. for impact. The bricks is just the background. It is an organic feature of the home that will enhance its overall look. Best of luck from Montreal!
  • PRO
    DRTC Studio
    9 years ago
    You can't go wrong with Farrow & Ball. Choose a color then use a lighter shade of the same color for the window trim. It will add extra dimension and interest similar to what we did here:
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/465219/Midtown-Atlanta---1920-s-Bungalow-Renovation
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You can't tell from the picture but the brick is a pink brick. It really needs to be painted. I would love to have specific colors for brick, trim, shutters and front door
  • keenplanner
    9 years ago
    If the brick is really that bad, use a wet whitewash. It's flat, not opaque, and will allow the brick texture and a touch of color to show through. It also ages nicely. Paint the trim black semi. The house is an interesting Federal-style pavilion, but the scale of the porch columns, the window mullions, and the keystones is off, and the gable above the porch needs some interest. Consult an architect before messing with the door and other detail. You don't want to go from bad to worse.
  • Patricia Kent
    9 years ago
    Due to the high arch of your windows, the proper size shutters will be pretty pointed..... Might want to see that on Photoshop
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So if this were your house...give me specific things to do. I love your opinions but I need specifics. Like replace columns with ?
  • Stacey
    9 years ago
    Have you thought about a lime wash for your brick? You have a beautiful home!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    This article will help with the shutter dilemma, but I think you need an architect to help you bring the pediment and columns into balance. Here are examples of lime and white washed bricks. Then you can move on to paint colors.
    http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
    Virginia Residence · More Info

Connecticut Estate · More Info
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 years ago
    Hi gingergober! Since you are interested in radius top shutters, feel free to use our Shutter Snapshot application to see what your home will look like with them properly fitted in one of our 24 standard colors.

Also feel free to request a free catalog from our website to help you with the shutter building process.

http://www.timberlane.com/resource-center/shutter-snapshot/
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    9 years ago
    I would keep the same type of shutter, just go with one that is wide enough to cover the entire width of the window. You don't have arched windows like those in Timberlane's pictures. You have a double hung window with a half circle window over it. A shutter that covers the entire window, including the half circle would not look good on your house.

Also, in your post about the columns I addressed painting the brick.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 years ago
    We recently did a rendering for a home with these types of windows. They wanted to see regular style shutters, as well as radius top shutters. Here are both as well as an additional radius top with windows similar to yours. Our vote is for the radius top shutters!
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Agree with Kevin Strader on this one...
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    9 years ago
    The radius top shutters somehow make me think of Batman. LOL
  • acroteria
    9 years ago
    Timberlane, I'll not "unlike" your post above but, c'mon, fix the left pic shutters...they're half the width they should be. Each shutter should cover the entire window. Also, the shutters are too far off the window opening and should line-up with the inside edge of the window trim...one should rarely see any window trim between a shutter/blind and the window opening.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 years ago
    Acroteria, we were showing the difference. Thank you for your feedback.
  • PRO
    Gober Company LLC
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I still have not made any changes...anyone want to help with specifics? Paint color, style of shutters, door and columns
  • sandyr107
    8 years ago

You have a Beautiful Home! I would go with the single round Column on each side of the Double Doors you want, I definitely would not paint the Brick, I would go with a bit wider Shutters in a dark blue/gray and remove the tree/shrubs on each side of the entry way an move the one on the corner of the house too the Yard some place or you will have to trim them constantly to be able to see the windows and door, if you want put potted plants on each side of the Door? As for Lights at the entry way a hanging one would be beautiful or one on each side of the door's would also which ever you want! As for the painted Bungalow in Atlanta sorry but it's too plain looking for the Beautiful place it could be with a lot of color added to it!!!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio