Closet lighting?
kathymk56
I have a very large master closet / laundry room. It takes up the space above our 3 car garage. I need to replace the old florescent light fixtures in the room. I don't know what the best lighting is for a dressing room. I know that I want true color from the fixture but I don't know what that is anymore. Lighting has gotten very confusing!
bunnyllg
I don't know what state you live in, but some codes require that closet lighting have a lens and not be a bare bulb. Take that into consideration. I find a "whiter" light is best for looking at colors of clothing and makes it easier to pack when traveling.
    Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:36PM
kathymk56
Posting again. I really need lighting advise!
Thanks
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 5:57AM
You could definitely do better than the florescent fixtures. I only see one wall outlet. LED strip lights might find an application here as could uplight cans which would give the walls a soft glow. Have you considered skylights?
CLOSET PROJECTS COMPLETED BY Closets and Cabinetry by CLOSET CITY walk in closet
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:20AM
Patricia Colwell
I would go with LED strips or halogen track either of these would give you a white light that makes colors truer .
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:34AM
kathymk56
Sky Lights in Wester New York state don't do much. I have lots of outlets. I really just want to see what color my cloths are. I really like the LED Fixtures.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:34AM
Building Vision - Evanston, IL
Decoenthsiaste beat me to it - have you considered skylights or suntunnels? They provide great natural light, which could be helpful in choosing your colors every day.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:36AM
Patricia Colwell
They are great but you will still need better lighting overall. I have a big window in mine and I still need good lighting, sometimes i get dressed at night.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:53AM
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
A couple of these Kichler ceiling lights should be an improvement.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 6:58AM
bunnyllg
LED would be a good option as they are cool to the touch. Halogen is a BIG NO as fixtures are hot and could pose a fire hazard. Remember all closet fixtures must have lenses. Lamps that are most like daylight are your best option.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:13PM
rainymorning
I don't know from closet lights but just as a warning, I once left my closet light on and the next day I couldn't get my closet started!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:23PM
Willie Duggan Lighting
Remove your fluorescent fitting using the same power point run surface mounted track the full length of wardrobe then fit track mounted led fitting cri 98 that means you see difference in the colour in the clothes ie navey. Black. Approx. 10. Fitting will do make sure the fittings are wide beam 40 degree
1 Like    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:55PM
chloenkitty
Kathy, We are currently building a home and I too will have a closet over our three car garage. I was thrilled because for the first time ever I was going to have a big closet! But then I found out the walls would be slanted like yours are in the picture and I was bummed. Did you have any other options to double hang clothes or how to put shoes? I don't mean to be greedy, but it upset me because I have a lot of shoes and purses and things like that and I really wanted everything to be in its place. Im getting too old to box and unbox off season clothes, so I really wanted absolutely everything to be out and hanging or on a shelf.

I'm just worried that with the walls at a slant like that I'm really going to be limited. Did you have other options or did you just want one row from the start? Thanks so much. Sorry I asked a question to your question, but when I noticed it was the same as what mine will be, I was curious.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:19PM
Willie Duggan Lighting
Kathy don't let view of walk in wardrobe put of this is easily rectified just narrow down the walkway you can hang double row of cloths over eachother you can allso allow for shelving for bags shoes shelving to fixed 45 degree angle led lighting can be fitted to these shelves to highlite shoes do centre lighting as previous comment led track mounted fitting
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:45PM
kathymk56
Chleonkitty,
I have an area just as you walk into the closet from the master bathroom that is the depth of the garage (25'?)by about 15' that has regular ceiling height. I also had a ironing surface installed on the white shelving that houses sweaters and jeans. This was an add on a few years ago.
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:49PM
kathymk56
more photos
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:51PM
ambersarris
I definitely agree with the LED lighting strips but also consider solar tubes. They provide a huge amount of light and are so much cheaper than skylights. They can also be fitted at an angle so you can still use your LED's through the centre

]
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:52PM
Willie Duggan Lighting
Choenkitty the last comment i made on this site was for your wardrobe
    Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 2:54PM
Light fixture
How did you get the open light fixture approved? I...
glbaumg
Closet lighting
Who is the manufacturer if the lights?
jim65101
need help replacing closet lighting
I would like to use a chandelier in my closet and need...
rhakimzadeh
Help! Repurpose old Fir wardrobes for a closet wall
I bought 2 Fir wardrobes (1940-50?) that were in a...
Holly Glaser
Need help with Family Room furniture ideas/placement
If all things go as planned, we'll have closed on our...
Cammi Francis Quinton
Finally found living room inspiration. Just need furniture!
Hubby wants contemporary, I can't do it. We'll meet...
Wendy D
Unused awkward space in kitchen
What to do with unused eat in space? Despise my kitchen....what...
xiolablue1379x
I need some help decorating a quest bedroom.
I'm thinking a sage chenille bedspread. What wall...
bellebelle15
Living room ideas to go with brown couch
Looking around seems that gold or yellow curtains will...
slimm2