Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkiv808

Can't Decide on Pendants or Backsplash

R K
12 years ago
I'm having a tough time deciding on both.

For the pendants, I was thinking of either clear glass with an Edison style antique bulb and dark hardware, or something like the Restoration Hardware Benson pendant, but in a brushed nickel finish to better match my cabinet hardware. Examples:

Bell Jar Pendant Lighting · More Info
(I'm still trying to find the perfect shape for this light, but you get the idea)

http://www.lumens.com/Chadwick-Pendant-with-Metal-Shade-by-Landmark-Lighting/uu374326/product?source=igodigital

Then, for the backsplash I'm torn on 2 different types of subway tile:

Glossy tile - white or off-white: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JJdEEXXvPDk/TVCQxl8dW9I/AAAAAAAABw4/XT2m9V9fWag/s1600/backsplash%2Binstall02.JPG
Stone/ceramic - light or light-medium beige: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QjvTViJdL.jpg

This decision is a real challenge. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions!

Comments (10)

• R K
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Here's images for reference. Forgot to mention I'm going from 1 to 2 pendants.
  • R K
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Any thoughts? I'm starting to edge toward the stone-ish matte tiles and glass pendants. I really like Schoolhouse Electric's offerings, as you can switch out the shades to any style.
  • R K
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Bump
  • Emily H
    12 years ago
    Hi there! Okay...for the pendants, I feel like you need the more solid Chadwick pendant just because I think the other (which I LOVE) might get lost with the dark cabinets.

For the subway, I prefer the white. I love the shine and the contrast to the other darker colors in your kitchen.
  • PRO
    Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
    12 years ago
    the first thing I would do is remove the standard builders 4" back splash before you tile so you get more tile to view (if you notice in the 2 pics you provided of splash there was no 4" granite on the wall first) second.. while I love subway tile.. at the range area add a focal point / detail / accent tile .. perhaps as simple as adding border tile to frame it and then take the subway tile and install in the middle of it in a herringbone pattern. any way to find a home for that micro on the counter?
  • R K
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes! Definitely going to remove the 4" backsplash. Never liked that.

Ah the microwave. The bane of that space. I could never do one as a vent hood as I actually wanted the vent to work. ;) I've considered putting it across the room behind the eating area, perhaps. A built-in might be nice too, although i don't have a ton of cabinet space.
  • Judy EDward
    12 years ago
    As pretty as those Edison bulbs are, they will spin your meter - be aware.
  • R K
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Really? Even the 20-watters? I have some Edison candelbras in my entryway that go constantly when I'm home and my bill has continued to be really low. Of course, that's not a scientific observation by any means. :)
  • Judy EDward
    12 years ago
    RK, being an ex-lighting person I probably over reacted and imagined you burning a 100W old fashioned carbon filament look-alike that are popular now. They WILL spin your meter. No, 20 watts is low, and would not make a big impact. But for me, in fixtures that you don't see the bulb, I prefer compact fluorescent or LED lamps/bulbs. For example, a 23watt CFL should give you as much light at a 100W incandescent bulb. Whereas a 20W incandescent lamp throws hardly any light. Of course CFLs and LEDs are more expensive but last much longer. Personal preference too will help you decide. Best wishes,