Still can't decide what to do where the pictures are hung.
crimsonky
Would love to keep the clock and I don't want a plant.
flair lighting
its hard to tell with out seeing what else is in the room.
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 3:48PM
crimsonky
I will add more pictures
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 3:56PM
crimsonky
More.
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 3:58PM
kreardon12
You need drapery
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 5:28PM
crimsonky
I'm not concerned with the windows yet. Just the pictures.
0 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 6:43PM
abbyjean
Would you want to hang the pics side by side on the wall behind the couch and leave that window wall blank on that side?
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 7:45PM
lovebugsmom
You have a very pretty living room. I would not add drapes because you have the beautiful shutters. How about a gallery wall of family photos. Or maybe three prints with a little more color in them. Are you able to put a plant there also or a large floor vase?
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 7:54PM
chemayne
Have you tried hanging one picture each on either side of the window and hanging the clock on the back wall behind the sofa near the switch?
2 Likes   May 2, 2014 at 8:54PM
Lainie D'Eon
There are no lamps on your room. I would suggest a console table against that wall to right of your window with a lamp & a smaller picture on the wall above the table. Move those pictures to the wall in back of sofa as mentioned by "abbyjean"
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 9:10PM
abbyjean
Oh! Good point about no lamps! Even placing one on the table in front of the window would give some height to the side of the room, which is what you will miss if you move the two pics.
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 9:12PM
crimsonky
There is no wall behind my couch. It goes into the kitchen. I had thought about a lamp. Does the clock look ok there???
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 4:31AM
crimsonky
Sorry, there is some wall but I have something there.
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 4:32AM
crimsonky
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 4:33AM
chemayne
How about hanging the clock on this wall closer to the switch?
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 5:01AM
Lainie D'Eon
I have an idea but first would you show a picture taken from the fireplace by the stairs side to show the entire wall where the table & lamp are?
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 5:03AM
crimsonky
Here is the pic
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 5:27AM
Lainie D'Eon
@crimsonky....thanks

What I see... the entrance path to your seating area seems a bit narrow.. could the two chairs be moved back a bit closer to the stairwell & i bit closer to the fireplace to give a wider path?
Maybe the reason that you are questioning your 2 pictures is that they are showing the same rectangular shapes as those in your shutters.
On wall opposite the fireplace...make an arrangement on this wall. With the 2 pics placed to the left of the table/lamp/mirror shown. This will reflect the fireplace.....a longer mirror would do a better job if you chose to get another. Place this arrangement just enough to the left of where it is now so the the plug for the lamp will be hidden.
Clock( which seems a bit cramped where it is now) would then move to where the 2 pics are . Place a piece of furniture under the clock that would have doors.
Try putting that plant (that you have on the left shelving) on the table in front of the window. Best idea is a lamp on the table but I can see that would mean running the cord across the floor a distance the the plug.
Where your clock is now .. maybe a piece of metal wall art that would be taller & slimline.
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 6:49AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You have the makings of a really nice room! I would worry less about those pictures for now and maybe rearrange some of the furniture. I don't mind seeing the backs of furniture (chairs) but your leather chairs are not just that attractive from the back. It doesn't help that they are off the area rug either. Yes, furniture is often partially on the area rug, but it doesn't look great from the back in your case. Have you ever switched the orientation of your rug so that it runs against the fireplace wall? I would give that a try and see how the furniture looks this way. And switch the two pairs of chairs so that the upholstered chairs in front of the window are now near the staircase. They have very attractive backs. Also, you might want to consider some drapery panels on either side of your lovely windows (hung close to ceiling to create height). They can just be stationary but will frame the windows and finish the room nicely. After all this, look at where the clock and two framed pieces of artwork work best. Good luck from Montreal!
2 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 6:56AM
crimsonky
Leona, I could move the chairs closer to the fireplace but if I move back they will be off the rug. What do you think???
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 9:22AM
crimsonky
Rebecca, would I put the leather chairs against the windows then???
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 9:25AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Yes I would try this. If I were there, we'd be doing it right now! But change the orientation of the rug so that it runs along the fireplace wall (not against which I typed accidentally earlier) - then create your seating area on the rug.
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 9:26AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I can't promise it will work but I think it's worth a try. If you aren't sure take photos and post them...
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 9:33AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Changing the configuration will also give you more space to enter the dining room.
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 9:33AM
crimsonky
The only thing is the leather chairs recline and that wouldn't work with the wall behind them :((
0 Likes   May 3, 2014 at 10:23AM
Lainie D'Eon
@crimsonky.. Well guess that the leather chairs are better where they are now. Still could change the direction of the rug ( as suggested by Rebecca Mitchell) which may allow the leather chairs to sit on the rug even when the chairs are pushed back a bit. Worth a try!
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 10:58AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
By switching the rug around, you don't have to position the chairs right up to the window... there might still be enough room for them to recline.
1 Like   May 3, 2014 at 11:35AM
crimsonky
I will give it a try!!
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 7:12AM
STUDIO MB
If it fits, I would revers the clock and pictures and put a narrow small table with a lamp and small accessory under the clock so it does not look lost on the wall...like this picture...
1 Like   May 4, 2014 at 8:17AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
FYI: Due to a recent demand from Houzzers, starting in June 2014, Rebecca Mitchell Interiors will offer ONLINE INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICES to those who need it near and far.

If you are renovating or redecorating and are overwhelmed by all the choices to make, we can demystify the process and help you make the right decisions with concrete information, advice and selection of furniture and materials online (right down to the kitchen sink). All by email too (but there's always time for a chat!).

Email rm@rebeccamitchellinteriors.com for rates (agreed upon up front to match your needs and budget) and information.
1 Like   May 4, 2014 at 5:27PM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
"Sheshore" (on another forum) is absolutely right about not soliciting for business on forums. I should have thought more before posting about my new online interior design services. I don't know where my head was. My sincere apologies to everyone and it won't again. Sincerely, Rebecca Mitchell
1 Like   May 5, 2014 at 4:53AM
I suck at design. Can't even decide where to hang a picture
I'm in my first home and I am completely clueless about...
liebe7194
Can't decide on gray exterior color and what to do with the stone work
We are updating the exterior of the house. It currently...
kespindola
Can't decide what to do with our kitchen, but must replace floors.
We are renting our home but plan to sell it in a year....
Judi Lenehan
Can't decide what to do with the exterior of our cedar siding home.
We have been advised to use a solid stain due to the...
Susan Johnson
Can't decide what to do with fireplace and wall color!
We are moving into our new home in upstate NY in less...
elisa81
Does composite decking really get too hot?
Our spring project is building either a deck or a patio....
libratravel
Need help for my living room in my apartment
Hello I need help choosing paints for my living room....
rgreen04
Need help for bedroom dresser and TV
Hello everyone, I need some help about the dresser...
dowdowburns
Should we remove the stone?
We are remodeling our rental property and not sure...
ouraustinhome
Help with exterior ideas
We are purchasing this home and should close on it...
Amy Brooks