Headboard high or low?

readbetterMay 3, 2014
I bought this beautiful headboard knowing it would block most my window. Then I took it off the bed frame and slipped it down on the floor to expose the window. I love the light and use of the window. Am I ruining the look of the headboard by making it lower? My house is a tiny cottage. Headboard or window?
Denita
Window! Keep it light and bright. Low headboard in this instance :)
Hopefully you can return the headboard or find another place for it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:10AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
The headboard is beautiful but not if it blocks the beautiful window and light. I'm wondering if you should just remove the the headboard altogether - doesn't seem to do anything for the room that low. Can you return or relocate it as Denita suggests? Enjoy your beautiful bedroom - looks dreamy! Good luck from Montreal.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:15AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You know - even without the window issue, I think that headboard is simply too big/tall for the room itself.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:16AM
readbetter
It's too late to return the headboard. I might be able to move it down to the bed in the main level guest room but that's a small room too. I'll have to think about it. Thanks from Long Island, NY! Going to be a beautiful, sunny and warm day today. I think I'll like that window opened!
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:33AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You might be able to sell it on Craigs List or something - use the money for something gorgeous for your bedroom! Enjoy the sun (sigh - we have none)!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 6:35AM
HI readbetter;)) So glad you made a poll lol.
I am one who will probably stand alone on this, but I Iove your tall headboard!! I am not a fan of a bed in a window, so, my vote goes to keeping the tall headboard with a transom look window;)
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 7:07AM
BTW- where is the blue mirror these days?
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 7:10AM
readbetter
Ohhhh, Margo! I hear you but it is soooo dark up there - especially in the winter. And, it just looks awful from the street when all you see is a "board" in the window. How do I deal with that? BTW, I just love that headboard (also, love the light and air) UGH, the joys of a teeny weeny cottage. You always make me think, thank you!
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:16AM
Well, for the view from the street, you could always hang a cafe curtain tension rod just behind the top of the headboard with a nice curtain;))
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:39AM
I will say,,, light and air trumps beautiful tall headboard;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by readbetter    May 3, 2014 at 8:42AM
sph137
Window with some kind of open design metal headboard.
    Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:14AM
joy5390
I agree with ASVINTERIORS . The head board has great architectural detail. Would look stunning on the wall as an architectural feature opposite the bed. With the head board up against the window you lose the beauty of the window, not to mention the light and the open feeling your room can benefit from.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:26AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
It does not look like this is nearly enough room to hang this headboard on any wall....?
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:37AM
Angie Anders
OK, just my opinion for what it's worth. The headboard is gorgeous and if you lived anywhere near me I'd tell you it's hideous and try to convince you to let me take it off your hands. :) I just think it's too high in the first pic and too low in the second. It looks to me you can have the HB and the sunlight too if you raise it from the floor about a foot, so it's a little higher than the pillows. Then you could add the cute white wooden shutters to the bottom of the window for a nice street view look that still allows plenty of sunlight. I'm not sure if the modified/in between placement is possible, but if it is I think it would be perfect. BTW I love that adorable room! Good luck from sunny FL!
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 5:09AM
readbetter
Thanks for the good ideas, Angie! Today we could use some FL sunshine as it's clouding up here on Long Island, NY. Too bad we can't send some through the Internet
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:14AM
eflowus
Turn it around and let the foot of the bed be next to the window exposing the back of the headboard
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:44AM
eflowus
Btw what were you thinking of when you bought this monster for a playhouse room?
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:47AM
How much daylight time do you spend in this room? I'm wondering why you didn't try raising it to completely cover the window - at least that could work in the winter time! Then lower it for summer.
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:51AM
readbetter
jaw olds, I was thinking how much I loved that HB. But, deco, your idea could work because I bought in winter and only recently wanted the light.
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 1:13PM
readbetter
OMG, jawolfe, sorry. The iPad does it own editing.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 1:15PM
rhifa
Keep the headboard move the bed. Move the bed against the wall to make it look like a day bed. Great way to keep headboard and add more light.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:16AM
Height of bed--low profile or high?
We are purchasing a new king-sized bed for our new...
sjr
is the back of the headboard upholstered finished? how high is it
is the back of the headboard upholstered and finished...
annamoira
Can I order the headboard to be twice as high as the footboard?
I dont particularly care for the height of the headboard....
jfrostm31
Lisa Bair
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Saarinen Marble Arabescatto Table - Glossy (shiny) or Satin finish?
I am looking to get a Saarinen Marble Table. The Arabescatto...
alexbc
Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?
More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret...
What to hang over sofa/ wall behind TV
Hi :D So here is my living room which is somehow...
rose_jm