How can I give this house a more "cottage" look?
nina517
Shingles are being replaced, but hard to choose a color that will take the house in the direction of a "cottage" look, due to the red brick/rambler style. Maybe the shingle color? Paint the brick? Paint the shutters? Help!
garden design online
Also need more landscaping,plant hosta,hydrangea,dogwood,
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 4, 2014 at 3:45AM
sallad
Would defiantly need some hanging baskets around porch, maybe a rose bed beside the path and some creeping ivy against the red brick would look great, you would not need to do much change with the building
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 4, 2014 at 4:04AM
nina517
what color should the shingles be? should I change the color of the shutters?
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:07AM
sallad
shingles probably a darker weathered brown and usually you see red or teal colour with cottages but might be to much against the red brick,,, if you were brave you could try a lime wash over the brick to give a very cottage feel,, it would look perfect
1 Like    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:19AM
nina517
I love those shingles! I was trying to go for a "beach" cottage look. The lime wash is gorgeous too!
    Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:23AM
collijay
You could add some window flower boxes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 12:15PM
brickln
I'd go with a green or tan roof, and paint the shutters in a cheerful color. Add flowers and arbors.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 1:18PM
Brian Shelton
Natural Stone instead of lattice and court yard walls in front, fret work on porch, French curves on gable before you reroof, slate roof... maybe. Maybe a big dormer that could pass for a room with big window in it...?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 1:32PM
EDI Design Group
I would add window boxes to the windows on the left. Also, painting the brick would go a long way in achieving the look you are after. I recently changed my shutters to a more cottage style. It was a simply thing to do, not that expensive, and made a big impact.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 1:39PM
EDI Design Group
Also, go with a dimensional shingle. I used one on my office, and from a distance it looks like a slate roof.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 1:41PM
nina517
Yep. I'm planning on a dimensional shingle, as I'm having it re-roofed before moving in. Now it's just a matter of color....
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:50PM
nina517
Brian - what do you mean by fret work on porch?
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:53PM
bgfuqua
brown or green for shingles, fretwork is gingerbread vintage woodworks.com shutters the type where you can see the vertical boards and 2 horizontal boards hold them together, I would leave the brick alone, paint shutters green , as said above-window box , flowers, keep trim white.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 2:05PM
nina517
I know exactly the shutters you're talking about, and was going to order that type. Was hoping for a "beachy" cottage look...any thoughts on colors that would complement the recommended shingles?
Will look into fretwork and windowboxes. Thank you! :)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:10PM
Construction Guaranteed
Brightening up the shutters is a good start. GAF has some nice roofing materials that can give the cottage feel real quick.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 2:40PM
Brian Shelton
I took this from google. There are hundreds of them.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 4:03PM
Brian Shelton
... I don't know if it would tie just an idea
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 4:09PM
grpaly
have you considered changing the brick color and changing the door?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 4:17PM
nina517
I have!! It's in deciding colors that I need help. :)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:30PM
Nina - if you tell us what colors your decor features inside, we can help more - might as well be cohesive. As for roof, go charcoal - earth toned roofs limit your color palette where charcoal will not. Also, the roof needs to be darker than the home color . . you could do a colored roof but it may affect your resale . . . that may or may not be an issue to you. The fretwork is a bit victorian for my taste, I think that washing the brick and painting the front door (send your colors and we'll help) will help your white trim with contrast.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 8:40PM
nina517
Thanks libradesigneye. We won't be moving in for another 3 or so weeks, and we still have to select paint colors for that as well. Yikes! :) Meaning we still have a lot of flexibility.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:49PM
Here are some neutrals then - try bm bleeker beige as the warm tone to water down and wash the brick, to give it an antique look. The shutters could then be a mid tone sage . . like bm herb bouquet http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/herbbouquet - leave the white trim, go for a red front door http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/strawberryfield key this tone to the rest of the brick once painted . . tone needs to match whatever red comes thru . . it will be the sweetest cottage you ever saw. Love the shingle look above on the right for the roof with the diamonds . . .
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:59PM
nina517
Those are some great options!! Now can you convince my husband to let me wash the brick? ;)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:02PM
I was thinking more about your accent colors - red, blue, blue=green, yellow, gold, etc . . . what tones are your primary art / accents / upholstery .. . .
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:02PM
If you use masonry paint and water it down and just wash it once - so it still can breathe (not the elastomeric stuff) you can get him to compromise so you can have a cottage feel. If you want a look like the photo above you'll have to mask some of the brick so they come thru, and go back over others so you get more variegation (a sponge job for you after the painter is done with a once over). . . you will not have to maintain it which is what he is concerned about, you want it to weather and soften around the edges. The neutral buff tone against the white trim will be classic and charming.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 9:05PM
nina517
currently the walls are all just a very plain, neutral beige. The woodwork is oak, and seen at the foyer on both the floor and the stairs/handrail (also something that I want to paint) leading to the downstairs. The furniture in the living room, the first room you enter past the foyer, is very neutral: a curved microfiber couch in a light beige, accent chairs in a brown leather, stainless-look floor lamp, a PB lamp that is a round, hollow glass ball in blue (reminiscent of this one, but the blue is a bit more towards turquoise: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/karlie-honeycomb-glass-bedside-lamp-base/?pkey=ctable-floor-lamps&cm_src=table-floor-lamps||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:12PM
You may want to try out bm templeton gray on the front door .. . a lovely muted blue green shade. Consider using mission oak polyshades to darken the handrail and stair treads just one shade - you can paint out spindles if you are painting out trim - wood finishes take abuse better than stairs and can be a feature that way. You could go darker with a walnut polyshades there. . . particularly if you are painting out most of the oak trim. That works even with a lighter floor. .
    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 11, 2014 at 9:26PM
nina517
Wow! I can't wait to go to the paint store, libradesigneye! Thanks for all the time you've dedicated to this inquiry. I really appreciate all of your input and am looking forward to getting busy! :)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:31PM
nina517
One of the things about the inside of this house is that in addition to a lot of lighter oak there a lot of brass...I am no friend of brass, beginning with the front entry hardware....so I'm going to have to progressively change all that stuff out.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:32PM
nina517
This is the living room (prior to us painting and moving in). See all the brass and the very light oak? Bah!
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:20PM
nikkiseashores
Ivy would be great
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:41AM
ambersarris
A creeper would be lovely and would mix well with hydrangeas and roses which add to the look. I would go with a ticky creeper instead of ivy as it won't damage your plaster, shutters, gutters etc.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:58AM
Nina, you might like checking out the DIY spray painting work on hardware and light fixtures of rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint - they've done this over at younghouselove.com (7 or 8 very misty barely can tell you spray painted coats does it). You can use the classic fixtures you've got (save $) but get an instant update - great for hardware too.

I see that the trim is painted out, the doors and crown are nice and the rooms are generously proportioned - that oak floor may be just the thing that makes it feel warm and homey, like the cottage you wanted.

Just shifting the tone on the bannister and treads then painting out the spindles and risers, adding a runner . . . .check this out. http://www.younghouselove.com/2013/11/stairs-and-stripes/
(I wouldn't take your banister that dark - thus the mission oak or walnut polyshades suggestion). They have darker wood floors, but you can see how just a bare tonal shift with mission oak on the banister and tread will repeat some of the deeper tones in the floor.

Think the sellers rug is not a great complement to the floor tone -One way to go in the kitchen and more casual spaces is to add some yellows/ dijon in linens, art, accessories to echo the sunlight of the floor rather than the orange. You might use your silver toned elements there, where more plumbing and equipment bring those in . . . add a lot of blue and white - navy and straight blues will make the floor read more golden where the blue-greens will bring out the orange more. You can start with lots of straight blues and pop blue-green accents in. Or head americana with red accents for your range of blues.

That doesn't seem to be the right answer in the living room with your neutrals . . The buttercream on the wall may work with your beige sofa but I think you might want something in the cocoa family there - go for drama with a cocoa or chocolate wall and lots of off white trim, buff frames and matts, you can paint some furniture black, find a fabulous rug with red and cocoa and off white and use lots of red and off-white textiles at windows and new upholstery. Grab some craigslist wing chairs and send them to the upholsterer for a red and buff Ikat statement near the fireplace. Wash the interior brick as you do the exterior (that can be the test run for your husband) and see how it comes together.

That could be the clue for outdoors too - if DH isn't ready to wash brick upon move in, or you want to save your political capital for something more important, go for dark navy shutters and a royal blue front door.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nina517    May 12, 2014 at 10:00AM
nina517
I can't thank you enough! You're the best and have inspired me! :)
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:11AM
Warner Decor
Hi! I know that I am late on this post, but i think something that would make your front porch look a little more "cottagy" would be a wreath or moss letter on the front!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/165859373/14-moss-letter-with-burlap-ribbon?ref=shop_home_active_1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/150466013/personalized-18-wreath-hydrangea-wreath?ref=shop_home_active_13

Hope this helps you!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:35AM
Help! How can I make my house look more attractive?
Should I paint it white with black or red door? Shutters...
leberg09
HOW to UPDATE and give COTTAGE FEEL?
We are considering purchasing this home. It is in a...
dlstalnaker
How can I make this long narrow hall look more attractive?
It has a knotty pine tongue and groove wall that has...
1captivatinginterior
How to give a 1913 cottage home an affordable look and style renovatio
One of the first homes built in the neighborhood back...
blueninja
how do I change the front of the house to make it look more attractive
I recently bought this house - certainly not for the...
pkns8
Need help with our enclosed front porch!
We just purchased this home and we have no ideas on...
Andrea Patacca
Redoing Floors - Wood?
What are the advantages, disadvantages, recommendations...
thedarlingsbecca
WHERE CAN I FIND THIS TABLE/BAR?
I found a dining room set I really like on West Elm....
Olivia
What colour goes with black and cream (off white)?
I need a modern colour that can go with black furniture,...
myperfectadvice
Flooring Advice?
We would like to replace the living room carpet with...
psimko