Help! Pendant Lighting over a Sideboard?
lula1969
May 4, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I purchased 2 Mizu pendant lights to use over my kitchen counter not realizing that they only take a 10 watt bulb and give off no downward lighting. Trying to salvage the situation and am considering moving them to my dining room over a sideboard. Looking for advice as to whether this is a good/bad idea or whether I should just try to resell them. Here is a picture of them over my kitchen counter and a picture of my dining room. If I can hang over sideboard, what height and distance from each other? I was thinking of placement similar to where sconces or tamale lamps would be but at a higher height.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's not always possible to place lights exactly where you would like them, due to the framework of the house. The cost of installing them in the DR may be higher than the price of the lights. But if you have an electrician in the family, I would place the pendants about 9" in from each end of the buffet and at a height about 1" above the center of the mirror.
May 4, 2014 at 8:03am        Thanked by lula1969
lula1969
Thank you. I am going to get an estimate before making a decision. I just think that due to their price, it may be difficult to sell them so I'm trying to make the best of a bad decision!
May 4, 2014 at 8:10am   
PRO
This certainly forms a cautionary tale for others. I'm amazed at how people do not pay attention to the amount of light supplied by fixtures they buy. If you're buying a lamp or fixture to provide light, shouldn't you care how much light it will provide?

It can be very helpful to shop at a store dedicated to lighting. The personnel there should be able to tell you if a certain fixture will work well for you if you take the time to explain what you need.

Meanwhile, I'm so sorry you got stuck with a couple of expensive fixtures that don't provide much light.
May 4, 2014 at 8:19am     
Alison Inge
Maybe you can return them and get you money back?
May 4, 2014 at 8:21am   
lula1969
Unfortunately I cannot return them as I purchased online and they have already been unpackaged and installed (i.e., length of cord cut). I live in Canada and the stores in my city do not have huge selections of interesting fixtures. Unless I buy something these stores have in stock, they have to special order them and then I am still stuck with them. Catch 22...sigh!!!
May 4, 2014 at 8:25am   
lula1969
Carolyn - do you think that they will actually look nice over the sideboard? Are pendants ever used over sideboards? I can't seem to find any pictures of similar applications.
May 4, 2014 at 8:27am     
mermaide
They are fabulous.
How about using them in another room or hallway?
May 4, 2014 at 8:30am   
lula1969
Having done a tour of each room in my house, the dining room is really the only place in my house where I could potentially use them.
May 4, 2014 at 8:32am   
PRO
Whispar Design
Here is a rendering of them over your sideboard.
Also, here is a general visual on what you can expect from task vs. ambient lighting types.

May 4, 2014 at 8:48am        Thanked by lula1969
lula1969
Would I centre on sideboard depth wise or should they be closer to the back (i.e., one third from back)?
May 4, 2014 at 9:40am   
PRO
Slightly back of center. You don't want someone bumping them with their head.
May 4, 2014 at 9:50am   
PRO
Whispar Design
If you decide to install them there, post a photo so we can see the final result. Also, if we can help with replacement fixtures let us know.
May 4, 2014 at 10:40am      Thanked by lula1969
PRO
While most people use lamps on their sideboards, you can certainly choose to be different. The fixtures look great in the nice rendering Whispar did for you.
May 4, 2014 at 10:48am     
PRO
flair lighting
do it! it will be nice....and a different approach! would you like pendant ideas!?
May 4, 2014 at 10:55am   
PRO
Whispar Design
Carolyn is right - different is not always bad. Lots of people also install pendants over their nightstands in place of lamps. Provides a really nice look. Not sure these would work in your case because of their size and inefficient light. As beautiful as they are, they are better as an accent piece IMO.
May 4, 2014 at 10:56am     
PRO
flair lighting
I would use the Madeline from LBL. lighting. good looking and good lighting
May 4, 2014 at 11:04am   
lula1969
Thanks so much for all the comments. I feel better using the pendants over my sideboard. I will be looking for new ones for my kitchen and will eventually be looking for decoration help for my sideboard! Another post for another time!
May 4, 2014 at 2:12pm     
PRO
Flair, how many lumens or watts do those fixtures provide?
May 4, 2014 at 2:54pm     
PRO
flair lighting
those are a 35 watt halogen based bulb standard. you could use an LED but I wouldn't recommend it as it can change the color of the glass. if you use an mr16 the light will force down and give great surface light. i would actually recommend a dimmer .
May 5, 2014 at 10:17am   
decoenthusiaste
I'm afraid they will detract from your drum light over the table. How about over a bathroom vanity or a dressing vanity in a bedroom, or flanking a TV on a credenza in the family room?
May 5, 2014 at 10:20am