Need front elevation help, shutters and trim
allisonvaccaro
We recently bought this 1940 home. We are trying to update the elevation. We don't want to paint the brick as so many of the ones around us have done that. We are thinking of adding shutters, but then realized they would not be architecturally correct as there is not enough room on the double hung windows. Any advice for trim work (wood work) to add to the elevation around the windows? We are changing the awning and repainting the trim (BM revere pewter possibly?)…would love a second color and any other thoughts on making the windows better. Sad about shutters and curious if there are ways to do it with double hung that doesn't look fake or cheap. Planning on hardware and proper mounting, but still doesn't seem right. Any advice GREATLY appreciated.
grobby
Glad you're not painting the brick, although, I have no problem with painting it if a house needs it. Actually, your brick defines your hose as the windows do. You do have a lot of yard and that's what is distracting. I'm sure there's a walkway to the front door, can you take a pic of both, door up close, please.
May 4, 2014 at 7:08pm   
allisonvaccaro
Yes…definitely. Too dark right now, but will do it in the morning. There is a slate stone walkway to front porch. Steps behind that pink bush and then walkway to door.
May 4, 2014 at 7:13pm   
whattahouse
How about a fixed decorative shutter on the exterior of the windows in a dark grey? I am not clear on what you meant by shutters -we're you referring to interior shutters that would show thru the window giving more visual texture to the street view? This house is beautiful-truly. But -what about trimming back the plants including whatever is hanging over the side of the driveway wall? It's all beautiful but sorta overwhelms the house itself. This is a really pretty property. Anyway a nice added color would be a cool tone darker grey or even black.
May 4, 2014 at 7:16pm      Thanked by allisonvaccaro
whattahouse
But keep the white trim and white garage door. I love the style of this house!
May 4, 2014 at 7:17pm        Thanked by allisonvaccaro
lucindalane
This guy is knowledgeable about shutters. http://www.oldhouseguy.com/shutters/
May 4, 2014 at 7:32pm        Thanked by allisonvaccaro
allisonvaccaro
Thanks for sending the link. That site definitely confirmed that I can't do exterior shutters as they won't look remotely functional because of lack of space by the double hung windows. Just hoping to find something else to add interest to the windows...
May 5, 2014 at 4:23am   
allisonvaccaro
This is the walkway up to front.
May 5, 2014 at 10:44am   
bungalowmo
Before you consider adding shutters, here's a great write up on the right & wrong way to add them. http://www.oldhouseguy.com/shutters/

OMG....Lucindale...I just saw you added the exact article!!
I'll leave mine as well, just to reinforce the importance! :0)
May 5, 2014 at 10:54am   
More shutter info for you. I think the bubble awning is wrong for your home. Maybe a metal one. http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

May 5, 2014 at 10:55am   
allisonvaccaro
Thanks! LOVE that metal awning. Just printed for my contractor…thanks for sending! Shutters are officially out. Thinking maybe better window casing, thicker to make windows stand out a bit more. Also, any thoughts on trim color?? Leaning toward BM Revere Pewter, but not sure with our brick color. Was going to do a darker accent (maybe BM gargoyle) on inside of window trim. The metal awning is going to help a lot, I think. Thanks again for sending.
May 5, 2014 at 11:13am   
allisonvaccaro
Also, Wright House you sent also has beautiful window casing. Not so flat and boring.
May 5, 2014 at 11:18am   
Yes, beef up the trim and paint out the downspouts to fade away against the brick. Black or dark charcoal might hide them it you keep the brick as is.
May 5, 2014 at 11:24am   
bungalowmo
Ok...after my shutter-double was added...here's an idea.

To add interest, have you thought about painting your sash a different color than white? I also live in a red brick house & every red brick place in my town has nothing but white trim! I'm restoring all my windows & as I go along, each one is painted Sherwin Williams "Caviar". My porch trim will incorporate that color as well, along with another shade that is a ferny greenish grey. (at work so I don't have the exact color)

Choose a couple interesting contrasting colors.

I know I'm really tired of the white!! Yawn!
May 5, 2014 at 11:39am   
allisonvaccaro
Just researched Caviar…very similar to Gargoyle which is in the palette with Revere Pewter. Love that Gray, deep, but not black. Very pretty. So would I paint the downspouts in that dark charcoaly caviar or Gargoyle so they fade away into brick. Then, paint the remaining trim the lighter color (Revere Pewter or something similar). Sandy Hook (BM) is another color I am drawn to. Also, Edgecomb Gray (but might be too light…Thanks again for your input.
May 5, 2014 at 11:45am     
bgfuqua
paint your garage door to blend with stone work around it. the garage as is stands out more than front door.
May 5, 2014 at 12:01pm        Thanked by allisonvaccaro
bungalowmo
Yeah....it took me a bit to find the perfect shade, but I really like that caviar.

I was going nuts trying to find the green I chose so I called the store. Here's the paint palette http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6211-rainwashed/

I got samples of Rainwashed and Halcyon Green to use as a complimentary color. I still haven't decided which I like better.

One thing I can suggest...get some samples & go to the back of the house & paint small sections of window trim & look at them at different times of day & give it some time. The colors will certainly speak to you....they'll yell yes or no one day!
May 5, 2014 at 12:12pm      Thanked by allisonvaccaro
need help for my new apartment front elevation design
As am engaged in constructing an new apartment, i want...
need help for front elevation of 20*40 plot area west facing one side
Need help for front elevation of 20*40 plot area west...
Need help for front elevation of my house
My house is under construction in Lahore, Pakistan....
Need Urgent Help in Front Elevation
I have some serious problem with this front elevation....
" need the help in making the front elevation of my house"
I have a small house and m planning to renovate my...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Agonizing over what type of coffee table to get
This is my new chesterfield sofa (from Bassett Furniture)....
Study Update Suggestions
Hi. I am going through my home room by room and updating...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...