Rustoleum Kitchen Cabinet Kit
whattahouse
May 4, 2014 in Polls
Please let us know your experiences with going from darker kitchen cabinets to lighter cabinets using the Rustoleum Kitchen Cabinet makeover kit. Our cabinets are reddish-dark walnut, solid wood (old) and structurally in very good condition. We are contemplating a much lighter finish. Look forward to any input!
Thanks
Rockin' Fine Finish
I would refinish not use a kit to change the color that rustoleum is more like paint not stain
1 Like   Thanked by whattahouse    May 4, 2014 at 7:47PM
whattahouse
Thanks. Our alternative is refacing entirely. Just hoping for a lesser option before going to that level.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 7:49PM
Denita
Rockin' Fine Finish is referring to stripping and staining rather than painting because you have actual wood. Rustoleum is more like a coating/paint, rather than a stain.

Why would you have to reface the cabinets rather than stain the wood? You are fortunate that you have good quality wood cabinets where you have the option to stain the wood whatever color you choose. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by whattahouse    May 4, 2014 at 8:02PM
Marly
I'm a bit conservative when it comes to old wood, but it seems a shame to try to make wonderful old woodwork into something else. I think it would contrast nicely with a light color on the walls, such as a pale blue or butter yellow. Just a little kitchen food for thought.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 8:10PM
whattahouse
Thanks everyone. The finish on our cabinet surface is just shot and we don't like the color of the wood anyway. I have always wanted a lighter off white finish and don't want a red or dark stain. We have granite counters (Santa Cecelia), tumbled 6" marble backsplash in a tan color with 6" bronze tile inserts, a stainless double sink. Stove & micro are black but those are next out the door. Fridge is stainless. House is a pseudo-English cottage style. Maybe tomorrow I will post a pic - am worn out from re painting our patio furniture so am signing off soon. But keep the comments up! Thanks again.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 8:55PM
sisyphus
I used the Rustoleum kit on a small honey oak bathroom cabinet and it turned out great! I originally wanted a creamy off white, but when I got to glazing, I liked the deeper color that a heavy hand with the glaze produced. I'm on to the kitchen cabinets next!

The process is easy and the results are worth the time it takes to do the job well.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 10:40PM
Donna Ferguson
I used the Rustoleum Cabinetry System on two of our upstairs baths & they turned out really nice. I only had one problem (and this might have been more noticeable on the darker color I chose) The final protective coat showed up on some of the "inside" cabinet doors in a whitish appearance that I had to touch up with the darker paint. I've now realized you have to check & double check all edges facing down & be sure to catch all drips & excess that are hard to see by using a dryer brush possibly. But overall it was very easy & Ive gotten a lot of compliments.
0 Likes   May 4, 2014 at 11:36PM
Chalk paint or rustoleum cabinet paint for kitchen cabinets?
I want to paint my light maple kitchen cabinets white...
Rustoleum Transformation Kit - Will this work for me?
Scenario: Considering purchasing new unfinished cabinet...
Oak kitChen cabinets with oak wood floors
We want to update using white..leaving the woodwork...
Kitchen cabinets next to white shutters
I have white shutters in my kitchen and they are right...
Outdoor garland on stone
Tips for hanging heavy garland outdoors on stone entryway...
Exterior paint color for old Dutch house
Hi . . . I wanted to throw this out there to see what...
need help with fireplace shelf
we have the geological tao black slate & silver glass...