Need help with curb appeal for 1950's ranch style house.
elissaranes
May 6, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We need roof color ideas, stucco color ideas and curb appeal! I want to stay true to the ranch style look but everything I see that I love is siding, not stucco. A new roof is a must and there isn't money in our budget for siding. We are going to repair stucco and paint. We are budgeting for more brickwork to be done on the house as well. Would love any and all advice- we are stumped!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jeena
Where do you live? I'd like to know what type of plants would grow best in that big planter.
May 6, 2014 at 6:55PM   
Jeena
The taller shrubs/trees make the house look busy. Could you replace them with plant beds? The wagon wheel would look great hung up by the door or in a plant bed under the window on the left.
May 6, 2014 at 6:59PM   
PRO
Design Mode
More brickwork is a good idea, to repeat the horizontal lines below the left front.
I think the windows on the left look unbalanced, so you could paint out the dark trim to blend them in. Or you could repeat the shutters for symmetry.
Your shrubs could be more substantial, like boxwoods or other leafy low bushes.
As for colours, I think the stucco could be a light pewter, and shutters a darker version.
May 6, 2014 at 7:11PM      Thanked by elissaranes
elissaranes
The dark trim is actually where the previous home owner didn't complete the siding project! There are so many things started and not completed here! The shutters on the picture window to the right were literally slapped on the house in order for the bank to fund our loan- house was a short sale. As far as the brick planter, it is long but not deep at all and I am having a hard time finding plants that will work there. It is a very sunny spot with no shade until the sun goes over the house. I have thought iceberg roses? We plan on putting in pepper trees since they are native to California. We live in Simi which is very windy and they tolerate that too. I like the suggestion to bring shutters over to the left of the house for symmetry.
May 6, 2014 at 7:25PM