Need help with curb appeal for 1950's ranch style house.
elissaranes
We need roof color ideas, stucco color ideas and curb appeal! I want to stay true to the ranch style look but everything I see that I love is siding, not stucco. A new roof is a must and there isn't money in our budget for siding. We are going to repair stucco and paint. We are budgeting for more brickwork to be done on the house as well. Would love any and all advice- we are stumped!
Jeena
Where do you live? I'd like to know what type of plants would grow best in that big planter.
May 6, 2014 at 6:55PM   
Jeena
The taller shrubs/trees make the house look busy. Could you replace them with plant beds? The wagon wheel would look great hung up by the door or in a plant bed under the window on the left.
May 6, 2014 at 6:59PM   
Design Mode
More brickwork is a good idea, to repeat the horizontal lines below the left front.
I think the windows on the left look unbalanced, so you could paint out the dark trim to blend them in. Or you could repeat the shutters for symmetry.
Your shrubs could be more substantial, like boxwoods or other leafy low bushes.
As for colours, I think the stucco could be a light pewter, and shutters a darker version.
May 6, 2014 at 7:11PM      Thanked by elissaranes
elissaranes
The dark trim is actually where the previous home owner didn't complete the siding project! There are so many things started and not completed here! The shutters on the picture window to the right were literally slapped on the house in order for the bank to fund our loan- house was a short sale. As far as the brick planter, it is long but not deep at all and I am having a hard time finding plants that will work there. It is a very sunny spot with no shade until the sun goes over the house. I have thought iceberg roses? We plan on putting in pepper trees since they are native to California. We live in Simi which is very windy and they tolerate that too. I like the suggestion to bring shutters over to the left of the house for symmetry.
May 6, 2014 at 7:25PM   
Need Curb Appeal for 1950's Colonial. Garage in Main House. Help!!
We are updating the exterior of our house. Currently...
1950s ranch in need of more curb appeal
I'd love your ideas on how to make my 1950s ranch more...
Exterior Design Help for 1950s Ranch-style house
We are in desperate need of an update to our 1950s...
Need curb appeal help for 1950s rancher!
We moved about a year ago into a 1950s ranch house....
Gray paint for basement
Hi, We just redid our basement and am looking for...
Building a 4 Season room
I'm planning an addition to my home. A 4 season room...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...
Thinking of painting my Victorian
I am thinking a dark gray with white trim? What do...