Bean bag chairs. Yes or No?
Jeannie Nguyen
May 7, 2014 in Polls
Bean bag chairs were a childhood favorite of mine, but I will have to admit, they were never really comfortable. What's your take on them? Would you have them in your home?

Vote and tell us below! If you have any bean bag chairs, post a photo and tell us your experience with them!

YES - They give a fun loungey look.
NO - They're uncomfy and take up too much space.
rredpenn
We bought two LoveSacs when the kids were teens. They were the most awesome things for them! I don't know how many kids crashed on them over the years. Son took both with him out of state when he moved off to school, and still has em!
http://www.lovesac.com/sacs/learn.html
(photo from their website... they DO look better when someone is "in" them!)
May 7, 2014 at 10:20am        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
HI -- I said no because .... what you could sit in when you are younger , you can not sit in when your older . Great for the kids in their room if there is room for it, but not else where .
May 7, 2014 at 10:27am     
Pauline Danley-Yore
I agree with lwfty47 - No - these are more for children
May 7, 2014 at 3:18pm     
bungalowmo
I say no...only because I'm 55 & my body needs so much more support than that. I'm sure it's fine for a teenager!
May 7, 2014 at 3:23pm     
Studio M Interior Design
They're a great idea for a teen's bedroom or media room, but they tend to go unused more than they're actually utilized.
May 7, 2014 at 8:40pm     
maverickcowgirl
They really are a life style choice. I spend a lot of time on the floor with the kids, so having something low to sit on would be great. Also good for those extra guests that come over. I haven't gotten any though because I just don't have the space for when they aren't getting used. My house is not big enough for them to be out all the time. They would be great for a media room, or kids play room though.
May 7, 2014 at 8:48pm     
Cocoweb
Pefect location framing!
May 7, 2014 at 8:56pm   
Shakúff
I love LoveSacs because they give you more support rather than the older bean bag chairs I grew up with where you literally just sink into them and sometimes can actually feel the floor and eventually give it a deflated look. :P
Really nice for a media room if you're going to kick back and watch a movie or perhaps read a book.
May 8, 2014 at 9:03am     
Cocoweb
Love the sun light setting!
May 8, 2014 at 11:04am   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I voted yes but only in a teen or kid space.
May 8, 2014 at 11:07am     
Mi Fasola
didn't like them in the early 70's and don't like them now. Same thing with platform shoes
May 10, 2014 at 10:38pm     
llahm
We have bean bag chairs that are shaped like a chair, with a proper back and are a great canvas covering. They are comfortable and support your back but light enough to throw around as needed. With kids, we found these fabulous. So, yes, but with a modified shape (not the round ones with no back support)
May 10, 2014 at 11:14pm     
rouxb
Bean bags have evolved considerably from the 1970's variety and, like anything, have their place. Would I put one in my living room? Of course not; but I would put one or two in a media or kids room.
May 10, 2014 at 11:21pm     
Fisher Hill Group
YES. Great for households w kids/teens
May 10, 2014 at 11:27pm     
Hala Galal
why not:)
May 11, 2014 at 1:34am     
kiya05
I loved them when I was young, but I fear if I sat in one now, I'd never be able to get out of it. These days I opt for recliners and have 5 recliners between my sofa and loveseat, and these are power recliners, so life is good.
May 11, 2014 at 1:59am     
otty
One of those things in life (like singing parakeets)...amusing, sorta glad they are around, but would you really want to live with one?...in your living room? ha! And how about the elegance of getting up from sitting in one. Cute as can be, but ultimately "thumbs down".
May 11, 2014 at 2:02am     
kiya05
Yeah, you're right, there's a lot of things I think are cute, but I wouldn't have it in my house. I can just see this in my mind, "rolling" out of the thing, getting on my hands and knees, as I struggle to stand up, and 10 minutes later I'm on my way. No thank you.
May 11, 2014 at 2:10am     
Phyllis
Only if you have children and only if the bean bag stays in their room. Never been a fan, but I can see their uses and their popularity with kids.
May 11, 2014 at 3:04am     
sunnie2day
At my age and current physical condition bean bag chairs aren't the easiest things to get up from but oooooh are they comfy! Mold to the body perfectly and are great for lying on stomach whilst reading a book over the edge (I know, but think about it - everything comfortably supported, bliss!).

Not for the formal living room but we do have three in the lounge and love them. So what if we need a crane to hoist ourselves up, lol!
May 11, 2014 at 3:13am     
janythw
In the 1970's my dining table was a low black square top with large white cushions around it (like seats in a Tatami Room) -- it was great in my beach house! Now I'd need a winch to get up after dinner.... ;-)
May 11, 2014 at 5:32am     
giakester
Always have room for a couple for the grandchildren----
May 11, 2014 at 5:48am   
betd
Hopefully design and comfort have moved on, bean bag chairs had their time and place. There is nothing so ugly as a bean bag chair that has seen better days, plopped in a room and expected to be used by a young person who would rather have the same comfort an adult has in a better chair.
May 11, 2014 at 5:49am     
kissmyface
You put stuff in your home you love or use. If you have lounging young people then you may need them. If you don't then leave them in the store
May 11, 2014 at 5:50am   
Jean Stryker
I've considered getting one (comfort, ease of relocation), but am worried about the sloppy look. Restoration Hardware has some in leather--beaucoup bucks though for a potential mistake.
May 11, 2014 at 5:53am     
Joanna Zygo
I used to have 2 Fatboys in dark brown. It was fun. They are really something else and I have seen them in designer homes. However after visit from my family and some other people like insurance broker, it wasn't the comfortable solution for main living room seating furniture. People sink in it and it is kind of funny...but imagine your 90 years old grandmother trying to sit in it... so I changed for 2 armchairs in similar style to the rest of the living room furniture. These photos are old, everything has been changed completely in the sitting area.
Generally I think they are stylish and fun but not working as the main sitting furniture.
May 11, 2014 at 5:57am     
castelain9036
Ok plumped up for photos but generally messy and unkept looking.
May 11, 2014 at 6:00am   
rhymein2mansi
Yes, i think they give a more loungy informal feel to your room.. I have one in my family room!
May 11, 2014 at 6:04am     
tsudhonimh
The filling has a "litterbox" feeling to it, and if your cat responds to it, you will have an expensive litterbox in your living room.

Also - they are impossible to get out of with any grace at all.
May 11, 2014 at 6:07am     
I love sitting in beanbag chairs! But I don't love the look of them anywhere but in a kid's bedroom or playroom or maybe a casual family room in a house with very modern furniture. We have a couple of old ones stored in our basement, and the dogs think they are fabulous.
May 11, 2014 at 6:13am     
kmunroe1
We have Yogiba bags for the. boys rooms. Adults like them as much as the kids. Super comfortable!
May 11, 2014 at 6:42am     
krzysztoferos
The thing about bean bags is that they are comfortable when you first get them since the beans haven't been smushed yet. After a while they break in and become less fitting to the body and seem to get all limp-like.
May 11, 2014 at 7:26am     
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
There are comfortable bean bags around if you chose to go in that direction. However please bare in mind that they suggest more a casual look or juvenile look to an area so they should be used either in a family room where lounging is the order of the day or in a child's room

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 11, 2014 at 7:48am     
debbietarrant
They're too untidy for me (neat freak!).
May 11, 2014 at 7:52am     
adivra
In the right place, fine. As a trend, no.
May 11, 2014 at 7:55am     
Sharon McLaughlin
I agree with Lefty47. Great for kids but not for pregnant women or older people.
May 11, 2014 at 8:07am   
June Chapman
The new bean bags are much more comfortable and stylish than the old ones,.
May 11, 2014 at 8:16am     
asphome
We use one in the TV area when sitting on the floor with the dog - better than being on the hard floor but they still look pretty sloppy and juvenile regardless the quality. I add more filling at least twice a year to keep it somewhat supportive, otherwise I'd never be able to get out of it on my own!
May 11, 2014 at 9:51am     
Michael Whitney
We have them for our kids. We even bought them different colored ones so they don't fight over them. The only problem with them is that they don't put enough beans in the bag to begin with, when I was a kid my parents would always pour more beans in them when we got packages on the mail. But no one packs boxes with beans any more. So now you have to buy them and i cant believe how much they sell them things for, and you forget about them (foam beans) when you go to the store.
May 11, 2014 at 10:42am   
Duane Burman
I substituted Swiss Balls for bean bags years ago....neat to have such a ???? in this day, age!
May 11, 2014 at 11:00am   
almostjane
I voted no because I live alone and my taste is far too traditional. But if I had kids, I think a ban bag chair with a sturdy denim or canvas covering would be perfect for their rooms or for watching TV in the family room.
May 11, 2014 at 11:10am   
mikita21
If you are older (as I appear to be), beanbag chairs are death! Getting in, no problem. They might even be comfortable in a slouchy kind of wY. Getting out? A little assistance, please! However, methinks they might still be a valuable home resource for people with children or even visiting grandchildren....just never sink Ito 'em yourself.
May 11, 2014 at 12:00pm     
jboncaro
I'm an overweight 71 year old woman who lives alone, If I sat in a beanbag chair, I might never be able to get out of it. :=D
May 11, 2014 at 12:47pm     
lindshammer
We have allergies. Porous coverings = Dust mites & filth. Our kids begged and begged; we finally caved and purchased some vinyl ones. Rarely are used. (Who wants to stick to and sweat on vinyl in the south?) I see how children/teens/college kids could like them, but still...dust mites and filth! No thank you.
May 11, 2014 at 2:45pm   
vethmhighbr
I bought one for myself to cuddle in front of my fireplace on cold winter nights. I'm 30 without kids. My nieces love to sit on it when they visit so the adults can sit on the couches. When I'm not using it I can easily move it out of the way. I think they're great for extra seating when kids visit or we do family game nights. My boyfriend wants to get a large one so he can sit in front of the fire too while we watch movies.
May 11, 2014 at 3:22pm     
kpappal
Our 3 young granddaughters have hot pink, very large beanbags, and love them. The covers can be removed for washing. I don't think beanbags are practical for more mature people.
May 11, 2014 at 6:47pm   
Rachelle Borbely
We bought those Big Joe bean chairs- we love them! They are super convenient to move around as they are needed around the house!!!
May 11, 2014 at 6:52pm   
debsurreal
Nope. I am still traumatized from meeting my date's roommate while he was sitting in one in the early 1970's. I thought he was wearing shorts but when he stood up, I learned that he was a very tall nudist. I was totally unprepared and I'm short. I relive that every time I see a bean bag chair
May 11, 2014 at 7:04pm     
miniappleman
Didn't like them in the 70's, and still have no place for one no matter how technologically superior today's beans may be. Like disco, please leave them both in peace. ;-)
May 11, 2014 at 7:47pm     
Lorraine M
My daughter had the bean bag in her bedroom but unfortunately our cat thinks its a place to do its bathroom so out in the dump it goes
May 11, 2014 at 8:05pm   
cheryllweiner
Always feel like I'm falling out, so i vote No for adults
May 11, 2014 at 11:44pm   
rachieng
Have a couple but over the years the kids ve squashed them, any idea on the best materials to use to stuff them back. They are quite handy
May 12, 2014 at 1:17am   
Frontenac Modular Home Sales
Had a couple for my son when he was growing up, unfortunately they couldn't handle the wear and I really hated cleaning up all those Styrofoam beans! Never again.
May 12, 2014 at 8:16am     
Studio NOO Design
May 12, 2014 at 10:42am     
kenkilgore
Yes to bean bags, but as many commenters have said, they usually work best for kids. We have two in our bunk/video game room, where our 10 year old son hangs out with his friends during the winter months.
May 12, 2014 at 4:27pm     
Kim Westwood
We had them in our first home, late 70's, while we saved up for our lounge. They were great and comfy. We used them in the games room later on. I wouldn't have them in my lounge these days, but great for the verandah. One of our dogs even sleeps on one.
May 12, 2014 at 8:42pm   
May 12, 2014 at 9:05pm   
hawkb
I'd like to know why in the heck even the Walmart generic bean bags are so expensive. And they're cheaply made!
May 13, 2014 at 8:26am   
hawkb
They make great dog beds..........if you can find them cheap at a yard sale.
May 13, 2014 at 8:27am   
diyher
"LoveSacs??? lol, is that a new marketing term instead of the original "beanbag" from the 70's" so people think it's a new product? I agree, hard to get out of when you are older. In fact, when I was in my 20's I thought they were hard to get out of then, always needed someone to pull my arm to make it easier support getting out of it.
May 13, 2014 at 8:37am   
kathy92857
I had to get rid of them! My cat continually thought my bean bag chair was a litter box (I guess because of the crunchy feel)!!
May 13, 2014 at 10:31am   
crzpro
My experience...I bought one for my son and he loved it. At the time he was 7 yrs old. It was really well build, but it was big thing in the middle of our rec-room. As he grew he asked to go to the basemen. This time he was getting a water-bed too heavy for my second floor, I thought. The basemen became a hang-out. All his friend gather in that beautifully finished basemen. One day we have over-night boys from the family. One of them, had not better idea, than jump from the water bed were he was watching TV to the bean bag - it ripped...part of the filling flew all over the place...
They could have inhale it and became very ill. Thanks God it did not happen. I saved as much as I could of the filling. And made a gigantic canvas similar bag with it.
And for safety reasons, the bag went back to its old place in the middle of my rec-room so that flying teenagers will think twice before doing something like that again.
just now
May 13, 2014 at 10:45am     
pogotown
Three kids, three bean bag chairs. When not in use by the kids, our Australian shepherd Murphy would sleep on one until she got too hot, move to the next until she got too hot, move to the third, etc., around and around. I later got a chihuahua pup named Pogo who would sleep on top of Murphy. Murphy did not like it at first and would move. Pogo would always climb back up and finally Murphy just gave up. They kept watch and slept that way, with Pogo atop Murphy until Murphy went to the great bean bag chair in the sky. Just like Yurtle the Turtle. What goes around comes around.
May 13, 2014 at 8:38pm     
Amir Hossein Ghasemi
this place is perfect
May 14, 2014 at 2:41am   
debbietarrant
Jeepers.....a lot of comments about a simple bean bag issue!
May 14, 2014 at 12:50pm     
rouxb
Well, it was a poll...
May 14, 2014 at 1:02pm   
Jean Stryker
At least it's all been benign. Sometimes fights break out on these threads. Hard to imagine fighting over a bean bag chair...
May 14, 2014 at 1:32pm     
jcmiami1
The LoveSac beanbags are super $$$ for a beanbag chair to start off with - $500 and up!!! We have a LoveSac store here in Miami and have seen them in person - they're top notch quality but are HUGE!!! They look like huge blobs in a room which for me is "no go" lol
May 28, 2014 at 5:41pm   
Hooplaroom
It is both practical and a decoration item. Definitely YES!
May 28, 2014 at 5:49pm     
Hooplaroom
May 28, 2014 at 5:50pm   
Susan McFarlane
This is one of those questions that bothers me a little. If a person wants a bean bag chair in their house, it's their house. I personally don't like them for my home(Eclectic), but I have seen them in other homes where they go with the décor of that person's home, and enhance the style.

I don't think I should pass judgment on a person's style preference. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't like my décor, and in fact, I have been told as much on one of these sites. I'm okay with that, because I don't care. However, there are others that might be offended, because I have noticed that there can be a lack of diplomacy when commenting on other people's décor.

The bean bag chairs from Hooplaroom's photos, are as cute as can be. I am in my 50's, but if I were a teenager, I would love the cupcake.
May 28, 2014 at 8:37pm     
Sharon McLaughlin
Susan McFarlane-Well said and I agree with you!
May 29, 2014 at 6:08am     
Susan McFarlane
Thank you, Sharon. I just think everyone needs to remember that just because we don't know each other, doesn't mean we should forget our manners.

I love different styles and fabric textures other than my own. That's why I love this site so much.

I have a friend that built a house, and because she and her husband like my taste, they asked me for my help. We don't have the same décor style, but I was able to help them pick out elements that they would like. They love their home, and give me credit for helping them. As I said, I would not have picked these elements for myself, but wouldn't it be boring if everyone did the same thing?
May 29, 2014 at 11:02am     
Sharon McLaughlin
I've said this for years, the world would be boring if everyone liked the same things!
How nice of your friends to ask you to help. I would have felt honored.
May 29, 2014 at 11:52am     
Susan McFarlane
Thank you. I did feel honored and humbled at the same time. I was concerned that I might steer them the wrong way. However, it's three years later, and they still love it, so I'm relieved.

I think it's okay not to like something, and say it's not for me, but to actually make the person feel bad about their choices, it's just uncalled for. I hope I never make a person feel that way. If I truly don't like an element in a room, I try to be diplomatic about it.

One of the designers on this site commented that my furniture choices were so passé, which is why I don't post photos anymore. My home isn't opulent, but it's very comfortable for me and my husband. He is the breadwinner in our home, so when furniture choices were made, he was a huge part of the decision making.

Off my soap box now. Thank you, Sharon for validating my feelings on being sensitive to others.
May 29, 2014 at 12:30pm     
Anina Salerno_Aita
Good for kids, not for adults. I think I'd rather buy pouf ottomans. Neater and still add an extra seat if you want.
May 29, 2014 at 12:31pm     
Sharon McLaughlin
It is so much easier to be nice than to be rude and feel superior.
May 29, 2014 at 12:43pm     
Cocoweb
cool!
May 29, 2014 at 5:37pm     
BEAMPLUS MOSAIC
like this style
May 29, 2014 at 5:52pm   
grobby
I'm looking for one yo go in a grand daughter's playroom. They're much nicer now, than the ones we used years ago.
May 29, 2014 at 6:01pm     
Rachelle Borbely
One of our Big joe's - it's a bean bag chair & it's perfect!!!! Each of my girls has their own...so easy to move around the house!
May 29, 2014 at 7:34pm     
mkprizwan
Good for a laugh! Even kids have problems getting out of them.
July 8, 2014 at 9:33am     
Wall colors
I would like to decorate my dinning and living rooms...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Curved Entry Wall
We have a curved wall below our half round stairs that...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
How can I increase the height of a wrought iron stair railing?
I would like to increase the height of this wrought...