starting to freak out
Elyse Lanzer
I'm in the midst of picking out tile and granite for our kitchen and am beyond overwhelmed. We'll have white cabinets american woodmark shorebrook cabinets and redish brown bamboo floors. I had orginially planned on using sage subway tile, with a gray/white counter, but I've been redirected three times by "professionals." HELP! which tile and what counter???
Cabell Design Studio
Hello Elyse,

I'm curious, towards what have the 'professionals' been redirecting you?

The only concern that was raised while reading your comment was the red tone that might be evident in the bamboo floors. With a white counter and cabinets and a green tile (basically green) and a red tone floor your kitchen may end looking a little holiday-ish. IF this is what you want, then move forward. There does not seem to be anything wrong with either your counter or your tile selection and the two, the counter and the tile, would be lovely with your cabinets.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance,
Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
May 7, 2014 at 11:15AM     
ekristyn
Can you show the floor? Maybe they are thinking sage won't go with the reddish brown, since they are opposing colors. But in the end, YOU live there, not them, so go for it!
May 7, 2014 at 11:19AM     
Elyse Lanzer
We went to three different granite places, and all three wanted me to have something to "pull it all together," meaning the tile and counters. I originally only wanted something white and marble looking with the sage tile that has more of a blueish tint to it. Not that I don't like the PentalQuartz Calacatta, it's just not what I had pictured in my mind. Now, I'm thinking maybe the surf subway tile will look better with that specific stone. And regarding the floors, I never thought about it looking holiday-ish. The sage tile would eliminate that problem I think. I thought I knew what I wanted going into this, I'm now I'm just overwhelmed. Thanks for your help!
May 7, 2014 at 11:25AM   
Cabell Design Studio
Renovation projects are a lot of work! You are not alone... we have had three calls this month where the (new) client has used the word 'overwhelmed' :) It's a lot to manage, but if you love the materials that you select you will be happy in the end no matter what any professional tells you otherwise. Best of luck! Stick to your guns!!
May 7, 2014 at 11:30AM      Thanked by Elyse Lanzer
Elyse Lanzer
the floor to be installed soon
May 7, 2014 at 11:35AM   
ARHAM DESIGNS
Take anything in light color after seeing your flooring I can say,aim architect n currently working on renovation project which is around 1000sq.ft,n it's a hard job I must say.
May 7, 2014 at 11:38AM   
Elyse Lanzer
even with white cabinets? you think the tile is too bright?
May 7, 2014 at 11:40AM     
ARHAM DESIGNS
Tile n white cabinets match perfectly.
May 7, 2014 at 11:41AM        Thanked by Elyse Lanzer
Kathleen Marineau
I vote for what you wanted in the first place. People in the business have to stay up with trends but can't prevent a tendency toward recommending what they are comfortable with. Pick what you want, not what they say you need. For example, read some of the threads - you'll find many opposing opinions on what a person "needs" to do. It's the nature of design which is a form of art.
May 7, 2014 at 11:49AM     
soupson
I don't know if this will help, but my guest bath seems to have similar colors to what you describe. The ceiling and floor tile are somewhere between pale mint and sage, I'd say. We've gotten tons of compliments, for what it's worth.
May 7, 2014 at 11:58AM     
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
Your selection looks good to us, why don’t you play with colorful accessories, some fruits over the counter, and some nice art on the walls to make it homey?

J Design Group –Top Interior Design Firm in Miami - Modern - Contemporary Interior Decorators.

www.JDesignGroup.com
May 7, 2014 at 12:02PM     
Freaking out that a new couch is all wrong!
Just the new couch into the new house. It's a right...
Seriously Freaking Out---Need Quickest Advice!!!!
Our house was a spec home we bought 4 years ago and...
Does the Thermador extra low simmer freak you out?
I'm trying to choose a 36" Dual Fuel Range - and I'm...
How do you work with marble counters every day and not freak out?
Wow. My kitchen is done and the marble counters are...
Master Bedroom redesign
I'm looking for suggestions on how to design this master...
Best yellow for daylight basement
Our daylight basement is used for laundry, an extra...
Should i put 6 in granite back splash and glass mosaic?
I am currently remodelling my kitchen and in dilemma...
What's in your fall garden?
Have you gotten started? Are you already knee deep...
Color
My couch is a smoke grey my wall is in the brown family...