Mish-mash of family room, oh and it's HUGE!

reniecpaMay 7, 2014
OK, I promise I'm pretty decent at decorating but I'm so lost on this room I haven't even tried. When we got married 2 yrs ago, I moved into my hubby's house and sold mine. We have a mish-mash of furniture, and we rent a storage unit for the all the stuff that won't fit that we're saving for the next house. Well, it's gonna be longer than we thought before we're able to move to the next house so I want to spruce this bachelor pad up.

This is THE room where we live. There's no other living space, except a small office. The room is 25ft x 17ft. As you see, nothing matches. the couch will stay. it's comfy & sturdy and leather so easy clean. The green leather recliner is comfy but doesn't have to stay. The white chair is slipcovered, so it could be redone.

I have a LOT of antique wood pieces that have been in my family a long time. Some are in this room. The big armoire in the corner is too big & heavy to move without movers so it's not going anywhere. I think the room could lend itself to a couple of different seating areas, but right now there's just one, centered around the TV. We watch a lot of sports & movies, and spend lots of time at home, so this is the focus of the room. And this is a 55" TV, so you can see how big the room is. I've attached several pictures from all different views...from foyer, kitchen, each corner, etc. Any & all input is welcome.

ps....nothing on side tables because of 13 month old who's into everything!
reniecpa
some more pictures
    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 12:08PM
reniecpa
and one more
    Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 12:09PM
Warner Decor
Hi! I think I would first start with a coffee table. Here are a few choices:

http://deciture.com/the-unique-wood-coffee-table/

http://deciture.com/the-classy-wood-leather-coffee-table/

Hope this helps you get started!
    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 7, 2014 at 12:54PM
HI -- reniecpa - Actually everything you have is not bad at all. The white chair just stands out more but that's all . Not everything has to match and it is better not having matching or sets of furniture . You are young and your taste and needs will change over time . With a small child you just have to have things a way you might not be happy with right now . You could maybe just have a pair of lounge chairs instead of the white chair or the recliner . One thing that would look better , is to hang the TV on the wall and have a nice long low console cabinet under for the TV stuff and extra storage . Adding some more color might help as in a wall color or some décor items . A blue that is nice with your furniture is Amsterdam Blue by BM paints . Also drapes or drape side panels because the windows look a little bare . You live in this house now , so don't do temporary decorating . Enjoy your little one and puppy too and work on the house when time allows .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 7, 2014 at 1:09PM
reniecpa
bumping this up for more suggestions. anyone?
    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 7:56AM
Twickenham Homes & Remodeling
Hi there. I've taken a look at your family room setup and have a few ideas that may help out. First off, like the others have commented, you're not in bad shape. For the furniture, I would make a couple changes. First, unless the green recliner just absolutely has to stay, I'd replace it with an accent chair of some sort. Something with some aesthetic appeal but that's still comfy. The couch is classic and the chair with the slip cover can be changed to introduce some color. As for the TV wall, here are my suggestions. First, I would hang the TV on the wall. More detail on that in a minute. Second, I'd find a media console table that was a minimum of 60" long and 30" tall. 20"-24" tall is too short for the scale of that room. This achieves two things. 1. You're not going to set the TV on it. With the TV mounted on the wall at eye level when you're on the couch, this creates an open space between the bottom of the TV and the console to place picture frames and decorative chachki's without them being in the way of the TV. It adds personal touches to the room, and gives nice clean lines. 2. Wall mounting the flat screen TV brings the sight lines of the room up and makes that wall a feature and not a random place that just happens to house the TV. Now, onto mounting the TV. To give the TV wall some added appeal, there's a simple way to dress the wall up around the TV. Simply go to Lowe's. Get a 4" wide window casing with some detail on it, and frame around the TV leaving 4" between the outside edges of the TV and the inside of the casing. With a 55" TV this will definitely add some interest. Once that's complete, paint both the casing and the wall a new color (as someone mentioned above, a blue/gray tone would look great). But with that in mind, it introduces a great opportunity to add some color accents to the furniture, maybe a blue /grey slip cover for the chair, or interesting pillows for the couch. The key is to tie the whole thing together. I've attached some photos for you to look at of the TV frame idea. These photos miss by either going too dark with the paint or just painting the frame, but you'll see the idea I'm getting at. The console table is oak and fairly inexpensive and looks like it might work well with your setup. The other photos shows how a TV set above the console table looks with pictures and other stuff displayed underneath it. Sorry for the lackluster photo. Best I could find. Hope this helps! I'd be interested to know your feedback and what you end up doing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 23, 2014 at 12:25PM
reniecpa
Thank you, Twickenham! Some neat ideas and I totally agree that the TV needs a different console underneath and more "presence" in the room. it's just as you said.....floating randomly on a huge wall. I'm currently tweaking some of the seating arrangement and thinking about getting an area rug out of storage that would bring much-needed color & pattern to the room. Will keep you posted!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 2:27PM
Libbmom
Is there any furniture in storage that you would rather have in this space? Looks like you could create a seating space near the desk...
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:27PM
MarleneM
Agree with above suggestions and also I think the round table bring used for end table is too high. Remove objects on top of armoire too. Puppy likes to get in the pictures! Sweet thing!
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:45PM
orchardsgal
I agree with Twickenham's ideas about the TV. In addition I'd move it closer to the fireplace and pull the seating group furniture in a little closer to TV and fireplace. A rug would help define that area. Then you could do a secondary seating area in corner with desk. Or...use that wall that backs to kitchen for toy area. You can get decent looking shelves in a dark finish at target and buy canvas bins for some of the openings. That would help toys have a home that isn't front and center. I agree that you need some color with art and other accessories...out of baby's reach for now. :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:12PM
orchardsgal
Candlesticks on mantle are too tall and skinny. Think about something chunkier... Lantern, chunky pottery, squatty urn.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:16PM
Wkendfoodie
Many of us struggle with rooms that have both a fireplace and TV competing as the focal point.
Have you thought about mounting your TV above the mantel?
Your current TV doesn't look like it is going to fit, however. If possible, you have room to lower your mantel. This would be a rebuild, and not sure if it fits into you budget.
Smaller TV would be another option.
Having the one focal point, would allow you to angle your furniture in the room. Sofa on one side, the chairs on the other.
    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:26PM
rawketgrl
Great space for everyone here! I agree with above posters to mount TV on wall over console. And some other ideas:
1. Snug the TV viewing area closer to fireplace, with Furniture grouping slightly angled toward frpl, 2 chairs on either side of couch (like you have now but snicked in closer), rug under front feet of chairs and couch, coffee table without sharp edges.
2. Move desk/dresser with 2 lamps on it on same wall as TV between immovable hutch and TV.
3. Turn corner where desk/dresser was into kids corner, with a rug and small furniture, toys and bins for things maybe a storage bench or something to hide things in. A place to play with the kids, a place for them to play without being right underfoot, keeps them with you in the room but some of the clutter can be 'hidden' from the TV area.
Enjoy the heck out of these next few years they will be amazing times with your new family.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 11:32PM
reniecpa
Thanks, all.

We will not be getting rid of our tv or putting one over the fireplace. Not an option. We don't like viewing the tv at that angle.

Rawketgrl....I like your idea of kids corner :) but do you think that would be too much heavy wood concentrated together if I move desk over beside armoire?
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 5:06AM
cctuttle
I would not put the desk on the same wall as the tv for the reason you stated. I like to avoid lining furniture up along the wall. I agree with taking the stuff off the armoire which is already massive and the stuff adds to that. I would get rid of the recliner - too much leather. Move the white chair where the recliner is perpendicular to the TV and add some colorful pillows and a big plant in a colorful ceramic pot. Put two casual chairs that are smaller than the white one where the white chair is now. Do you have end tables in storage that are lower and chunkier? Part of the problem is balancing not only the scale of the room but the size of the armoire which is beautiful but needs some other chunky furniture invited to the party. I also think you should find a way to cozy up the TV and the fireplace- awkward angle there - and definitely enlarge the console. Frame around the tv not my taste but LOVE what same post suggested about hanging TV on the wall then dressing up the console. I also like the idea of a kids corner - try putting the desk in the entry but with only one lamp and one picture...
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 5:57AM
reniecpa
@cctuttle Thanks for the suggestions! You know I actually already did what you said...pulled the leather recliner out and moved slipcovered club chair to exactly where you suggested! Feels better already. And I totally agree wtih you about trying to balance the armoire. I have a medium sized distressed black buffet currently in my foyer (on wall you can't see). Do you think that could work on the 'blank' wall across from the TV? I can't put anything very long or deep on that foyer wall you see in the pics because the door swings open and hits everything other than the narrow demilune table I have there now. Maybe I need to get rid of that table altogether and just hang a large mirror or piece of art there. But that's another topic.

YES, I want the TV on a more substantial console that either sits it up higher, or mount it on the wall.

I do not have any lower/chunkier end tables, unfortunately. I feel like that's what I need in here....preferably round since there are so many rectangles & sharp edges.

The current ottoman has served its purpose and is worse for the wear. DH has to have an ottoman to put his feet on (because I can't keep him from putting his feet on whatever is there, so I"ve givevn up on a coffee table). Plus, the ottoman comes in handy for quick diaper changes :) Would you do a round ottoman? Patterned or solid? I know I don't want another dark one like the sofa.

Thanks again!
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 7:52AM
Nancy Reinke
Thank you for not putting the TV screen over the fireplace. LOL I know that's a common solution to this particular problem, but I just really dislike that look. The only way I would ever do that is if I could disguise it when not in use. To me it just ruins the looks of the fireplace. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm certain I'm in the minority. I really like Twickenham's suggestion for creating window casing around the TV screen. Another idea is creating a gallery wall around the TV. I've seen this done with TV's sitting on a console, and I think it could work well with all the wall space you have.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 30, 2014 at 8:24AM
cctuttle
Good question about the ottoman. I personally love ottomans for coffee tables. Something you might consider is 4 footstools that can act as one or separated for more seating but maybe not so great for diaper changing. These could be colorful as in 4 different solid colors or geometric prints that play off the white. I don't get a sense of any color scheme in your room or print from which to draw colors for repeating elsewhere in the room. The plaid throw is nice but how much better paired with a more dramatic print...maybe in pillows? Perhaps a change of wall color is needed if possible. I love mid to light gray and brown together. Part of the problem with this room is that there is a lot of very light and very dark without much in between. This would give you some needed variation from all the brown wood, brown leather, etc. With gray walls I might go with charcoal gray ottoman in a very textural fabric but do bring color in somehow - bold yellow, aqua, lime green and clear orange are great with gray and brown. Are you opposed to painting wood because I could see the reddish table by the sofa painted one of those bold colors. The wall by the kitchen could use something but only if the desk is not in its current location. Consider trading the desk with the buffet and then put the buffet on the wall by the kitchen. How would the buffet work as a tv stand? Love the idea of a big chunky mirror in the entry - will help with the armoire too. Just one more thing - don't know what is currently in the armoire but have you considered using it for toy storage??
    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 30, 2014 at 8:46AM
reniecpa
The buffet isn't wide enough to go under the TV. It would hang over the edges.
The white chair is a slip covered one from Ballard Designs. I want & need another slipcover for it....maybe a caramel color or khaki? Then I can bring pattern in with throws, pillows, and window treatments by kitchen table.
I don't like a super cool toned gray, but think a greenish gray would be awesome on the walks & complement the wood tones nicely.
The armoire is currently used to store photos & photo albums but I could carve out some space for toys :). I'd also like a big wicker trunk with lid for toys. Thoughts?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:23AM
cctuttle
I personally would not go with caramel for the slip cover but as you can tell I go more for the gray tones. I don't like a cool blue gray either but prefer a stone color. Part of the problem is with your room is too much beige/ brown already so if you are bringing in something new I would try to steer away from more of the same. However, have you considered or is it available in a broad khaki / white or cream stripe. You can easily add other prints with that and I love that look with red. Love the wicker trunk idea they can make great foot stools too...
    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 30, 2014 at 10:55AM
reniecpa
Thanks again cctuttle....
I'm afraid of gray making the room feeling too dark & dreary if I get the wrong shade. But I'm all for a stone color! Do you have any experience with Ben Moore Revere Pewter? In pics online, it looks like a good contender. What about any others on this pic of pain swatches?
In my previous home, my den had wood floors and I had this rug anchoring the seating arrangement. I had the same brown leather sofa and white slipcovered chair, seat perpendicular to each other and this round table w/burlap skirt from Ballards in between. I had various throw pillows that I got rid of when I sold & moved in with hubby b/c they had seen better days. The walls were painted Valspar "Sand Between Your Toes" (attached), which is very similar to BM Sand. I had pale blue drapery panels, creamy white trim, and lots of blue accessories.
I still have this rug in storage, and the table is stored in a closet.
What do you think about these items, and maybe this paint color again? It's a nice neutral with no strong undertones. And I liked the tan/pale blue/cream & brown color scheme. it feels very calming to me. On the other hand, I don't want to get in a rut. I want to be "current".
Thoughts?
ps....the only slipcovers for the chair I would consider are solid twill, otherwise the become cost-prohibitive and honestly this little chair isn't worth spending big bucks on a custom slipcover. The choices are White, Cream (which is what's on it) ,Butter, Khaki (close to this wall color), Celery (very light green), Caramel (no), Chocolate (no), Black (no), Crimson (no), Navy (no). So....butter, khaki or celery? LOL...
1 Like    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:04PM
reniecpa
forgot the gray swatches...
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:05PM
cctuttle
Craft room quiet moments looks like a nice mid tone gray although hard to tell how color translates over the monitor. I am more familiar with Behr as there is a Home Depot close to my house. I think the beauty of gray is what you put with it. I have never really been a tan person myself - painted the first gray room in my house a couple of years ago. Have to say I love it. Accents in the room are orange and yellow. It is quite cheerful. However if you don't like gray it doesn't matter! Interesting that you mention blue because I was thinking wall color a very smoky aqua again in a mid tone range not pastel- a bit of a shift from pale blue. I would go with a cream chair cover and consider cream/ beige horizontal cabana stripe drapery panels. Bring in a deep toned sunny yellow pillow and wicker trunk for a cheerful but serene room. Maybe add one of those pillows with the huge floral print or how do you like animal print? If you go more monochromatic be sure to think texture for needed interest. I have seen some fabulous burlap drapery panels. Not sure about the rug as pic is very small but not much of a fan of highly patterned rugs myself. Doesn't look like you really need a rug. The other colors of slip covers might look great depending on paint color and so forth but I would caution against putting green and beige together - can end up murky. I love butter yellow which would be nice with the color of your sofa but would not pair it with aqua or beige walls, gray yes depending a lot on other accessories to pull it together. The table looks very big to me... still in favor of painting the square table. Add a lamp with a silvery base and you have a stunner.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:45PM
orchardsgal
I also like the craft room color. I'd bring out the rug and try it. I think you know what you like. Just do it!
    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 30, 2014 at 9:11PM
happyleg
I would group a lot of family photos around tv. Pillows. Art.
    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 9:31PM
cctuttle
If you move the desk to another location the burlap table might look good next to the end of the couch by the entrance with a bold colored ceramic pot and greenery. Live plant probably would not live there but 1 large item there would dress up the end of the couch that you see immediately as you walk into the house and help balance the armoire. Think it had more substance than the smallish table currently in that place.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 31, 2014 at 5:11AM
partim
Here's a tip that I received and used about children's toys. I had 3 bags of toys that I rotated. every few days. 2 bag hidden, one available for play. It was like Christmas morning every few days, because at that age their attention spans are short and they love new things. It also cuts down on the clean up and clutter. You just need one lidded storage container for today's toys, and the other 2 bags can go in a closet or your armoire. I used laundry bags in a neutral unbleached cotton.

I'd also make room for a small play table and 2 chairs. Not plastic kiddy stuff, get painted or stained wood so it's not unattractive. Ikea has great stuff. Before you know it your little one will be ready for coloring, puzzles, etc.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    May 31, 2014 at 5:42AM
partim
If you like your slipcover except for the color, you can have it dyed. Google commercial fabric dyeing. You mail it in and they send it back a different color. Might be cost effective.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:48AM
reniecpa
Well, I went to Ben Moore and grabbed a bunch of paint swatches this weekend, and guess what? Now I AM leaning to a gray! But it's not a icey, cool gray. It's a greenish gray...the Revere Pewter. It comes across almost khaki in my post above, but this isn't the case in real life. It's gray but with plenty of warmth. It looks good next to my ktichen cabinetry, the brown leather sofa, pretty much anything! And I can use either/or blue & yellow accents. I've ordered some fabric swatches for the chair slipcover to decide on that, and in the meantime I'm keeping my eye out for some colorful accessories, pillows, etc. I think I'm on the right track and I'm excited! Still a long way to go, but I feel like I have a direction now at least.

Thank you all so much!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 9:36AM
That's probably the most suggested gray on Houzz.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 9:55AM
reniecpa
I know! Well, it's with good reason. I brought home fistfulls of other good gray/greige paint chips and Revere Pewter was the winner. For this room, anyway.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:02AM
Ashley Malowaniuk
You have a great space!
Some things I think need to be addressed are that the secretary's desk in the corner is very awkward and seems to have no purpose. Do you use it for anything in particular? The fact that you have two lamps on it really makes it stand out, and that's not the place you want people's attention necessarily.
Have you considered a library for that space?

The tv also looks a little lost, you should find a great piece to display the tv (try to stay away from really dark woods, since your house is relatively light).
    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    June 2, 2014 at 10:31AM
reniecpa
Ashley, thank you for your input. The secretary desk is a family keepsake. My grandfather built it a LONG time ago...it's at least 70 years old. I use it to store some paperwork, old photos. etc. It doesn't have to be in that corner, but there was room so it's there. And actually, we don't have a lot of ambient lighting in the room, so I use the little lamps at night when we watch TV and dont' want the big overhead light on. But I could put lamps on anything....not just that. If I didn't have it in the corner, what would you suggest doing with that corner of the room? Table & couple of chairs? Bookshelves? The room is SOOO long that you can't really extend the tv viewing/seating area back that far because you're too far away from the TV. and then the traffic flow from the foyer & other side of the house (where the kids' bedrooms are) would cut right through the middle of the room....between sofa & TV. I want to keep the traffic flow through the room BEHIND the sofa. But that corner of the room needs soemthing because it's way too big to leave empty. This room is so quirky & frustrating!!!! Taht's why I"m on here looking for help :)
Oh PS....I definitely plan to put the TV on something else. Just looking for the right piece....at the right price, of course :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 1:10PM
Ashley Malowaniuk
Family heirlooms are great! I just got a piano and a chair from my grandmother and I had a hard time trying to fit it in my house. If you can move the piece, I think it would be worth it.

I would put a wall of bookshelves in the corner. Fill it with books and keepsakes.
Putting lighting somewhere in it would work as well (to help your ambient lighting issue). Something directional would be ideal. That way it isn't direct lighting when you are watching something.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by reniecpa    June 2, 2014 at 1:23PM
cctuttle
You're going gray!! Glad you found one you love. Like the corner library idea - might help balance the armoire too. Add a floor lamp and smallish chair. That is a very special desk and it deserves a special place. What is that on the other side of the room opposite the desk by the dining room? Hard to tell from a pic but if that is just something to fill the space perhaps the desk would go there with one lamp and one picture above. A sleek modern lamp on the desk would be a great contrasting element and would actually show off the desk better. Keep any other decorative items on the desk simple - maybe just a stack of books along with the lamp so the desk is the star of the show. Think the little round table at the entrance end of the sofa is too tall because it blocks the view of the sofa. Needs something squatty and chunky.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 2:29PM
happyleg
Where's the piano?
    Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 7:04PM
reniecpa
I don't have a piano. Ashley commented that she has her grandmother's piano.
    Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 7:31AM
The Ugliest Room I have ever lived in
Don't you hate it when you have moved several times...
barbiecue
Family/Living Room needs a makeover!
This is my parents' family/living room. They have...
beautywithin
Save me from the "matchy-matchy" lights!!! And advice on mixing finishes...?
Trying to select lights for entry, island pendants,...
mshutterbug
Paint ideas for a living room with high ceilings and family room
Hi all, this is my first message here and i am looking...
e90fleet
Help for office/guestroom/craftroom...oh and it's small!
Have a room about 11'x11' which needs to serve as a...
Erin G
upholstery fabric color that go with purple?
I'm painting my bedroom walls dark purple (aubergine),...
vhormazabal
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...
cohrs101
how much space should be between island and sink
how much space should be between a island an sink
Sharon Chancey
"Green" Kitchen Cabinets
We're currently renting and believe the off-gas and...
michellebelle81
Floor Plan Opinions!
Please take a look at this floor plan & give me...
Brea Albritton