Is the rug too bright for my living room?
o_ga
When I purchased this rug, I was in love with how bright it is. However, now I think it's too bright. I have other bright accessories in this room, and I feel like I have to tone them down because of the rug. But I'd rather get rid of the rug then tone down my accessories. What do you think?
No I don't think it is too bright at all. I love this rug and I like your style. Kudos for being daring.

In fact your colours are muted. I think your wall with pictures doesn't have enough colour to balance out the carpet. Also I would like to see your furniture pulled in a little bit so that not everything is pushed back as far as possible...
May 7, 2014 at 1:01PM        Thanked by o_ga
Monica Ellison
I love the rug. Nice room.
May 7, 2014 at 1:03PM        Thanked by o_ga
Rio Brewster
I think it's fine. The colors in the rug pull everything together. If anything I'd remove one of the pillows. It's a busy pattern, so I would keep the accessories to a minimum or go with solid color pillows.
May 7, 2014 at 1:07PM        Thanked by o_ga
shal1217
I like the rug!
May 7, 2014 at 1:11PM        Thanked by o_ga
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the rug..remove the 2 round ottomans and add a large black or dark brown leather ottoman...or a large non glass coffee table.
May 7, 2014 at 3:24PM        Thanked by o_ga
May 7, 2014 at 3:38PM        Thanked by o_ga
jjandhk
i also love the rug! and your wall art, and design style.
I'm wondering about the furniture layout...the desk seem close to the sofa.
May 7, 2014 at 3:46PM        Thanked by o_ga
o_ga
To Barbara Griffith Designs and Chemayne: thank you for your ideas. I used to have dark table (with storage) and large ottoman. I got rid of both of them since my room is small, and I found more versatile replacements for them - white folding table from Ikea (you can see it on the last picture) and 2 ottomans with storage, which we use in lieu of coffee table as well.

When we have company, we just put a square board (a nice looking shelf from Ikea) on top of the ottomans. We love the amount of space freed up by not having 2 large pieces of furniture.
May 7, 2014 at 3:54PM     
o_ga
To ASVInteriors, jjandhk and Rio Brewster: thank you! Will pull the furniture away from the walls, add more color to the wall with pictures, and rethink pillow colors.
May 7, 2014 at 3:57PM   
khloe2012
Yes.
May 7, 2014 at 6:28PM        Thanked by o_ga
rnonwheels
The rug is great I agree with the others it just needs to be balanced with some color on the walls, consider even that though you have the colors in the photes and the lattice, they are not near as "thick" or heavy as the rug and the ottomans, so some bolder/heavier sized color is needed up on top, perhaps even one whole wall in the green would add the needed balance.
May 7, 2014 at 6:36PM        Thanked by o_ga
bgfuqua
your room is great. wonderful to see instead of so many with three dark matching pieces of furniture. love the rug and the ottomans.
May 7, 2014 at 10:25PM        Thanked by o_ga
Karin Madgwick
I agree that the rug is great and more colour is needed, maybe curtains in the same bright orange as the rug.
May 8, 2014 at 4:26AM        Thanked by o_ga
Kathleen Marineau
You could paint the short wall next to the door, the one with the book shelves in a color on the same card as the orange, maybe a bit lighter. The drapes look washed out, perhaps something more like the brown in the rug, in a solid color. I agree with solid color pillows so the rug's pattern isn't competing with other patterns. It there are no competing designs (swirls, stripes, etc) then the rug can be the queen, or king, of the room.
May 8, 2014 at 4:35AM        Thanked by o_ga
Fraanie Grigg
I like the room as it is!
May 8, 2014 at 4:53AM        Thanked by o_ga
The rug and major furnishings are great, the arrangement and accessorizing not so much. Unless that door is not used, the shelves crammed into it are an anomaly. They are too flimsy looking and are too loaded with stuff to have the right impact for your room, so I'd remove them. If it were my space, I'd be very tempted to paint it the light blue-gray color from the rug. Since you don't seem to have any walls that are unpierced by doors or windows, I don't think you should try to do any accent wall, but cozy the space with color everywhere. Great pieces in your art grouping, but if that wall is long enough and traffic flow would not be interrupted, I think the sofa should go there, rather than where it partially covers a window. If traffic is an issue, you might pull the sofa away from the wall and leave a foot path behind it. Then you'll need re-think the layout of the grouping to anchor it visually to the sofa. The desk could then move to the left side of the window with the geometric orange art piece above it. Dining table on the wall that is now right of the desk.
May 8, 2014 at 6:29AM        Thanked by o_ga
Warner Decor
Hi I think that I would do something different above the couch. You have done a wonderful job of incorporating the colors from the rug throughout the room, and should be proud of yourself! Mirrors may look nice, and here are a few other suggestions:
http://deciture.com/artistic-styled-metal-wall-decor-2-assorted/
http://deciture.com/artistic-styled-metal-wall-decor-assorted/
http://deciture.com/attractive-styled-classy-metal-wall-plaque/
http://deciture.com/emlyn-round-bright-color-wall-mirrors-set-of-5/ (fun colors, but may be too bright for you)

Hope this helps!
May 8, 2014 at 6:39AM        Thanked by o_ga
Libbmom
Would be nice to see all walls...agree there might be a better arrangement.
May 8, 2014 at 7:09AM        Thanked by o_ga
tkailua
Love the rug and everything else you have done! Room looks eclectic and collected rather than cookie cutter furniture store display. So tired of that look. I agree with something more substantial above your sofa. Great job!
May 8, 2014 at 7:45AM        Thanked by o_ga
Christine
Keep the rug. It is fabulous. You can either tone down the accessories or place them in more pleasing set ups. For example you have a small problem with scale and too many knick knacks. I would remove those shelves behind the door and then move those starlike ornament over the sofa and hang that behind the door with a small console to serve as a catchall for keys, etc. Then the table with the lamp on it needs addressing. The legs on the table are fighting with the legs on the side chair. I would probably rethink that table and just keep a lamp and nix the flowers and any other clutter. Also if you could position that desk elsewhere in the home, it would make the space appear more dedicated to living and relaxing and not also working and a cat hang out. I also think you like circles. In the small tables, the round tables in front of the sofa and in the curtain. You may need to add additonal linear shapes to calm down the movement in the room and I would go for plainer couch pillows with a more subtle pattern. Also I think the step up picture arrangement would work better on a staircase. You should do an organized set of frames. Maybe 9 oversized frames in the same color with an ecclectic set of black and white prints in them. This will be a fun room for you to play around with to achieve the right look but keep the rug. It makes the room.
May 8, 2014 at 7:55AM        Thanked by o_ga
alicejean
I like this so far. I would like to see one of the bold colors in the rug repeated in the draperies and in the frames on the wall. Keep going here. Have fun!
May 8, 2014 at 8:03AM        Thanked by o_ga
o_ga
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I appreciate it. It's great to see my place in another light.

I attached more pictures.

The door near shelves is not used. I can't paint my walls since I rent this place.

And although I understand that my furniture placement is not ideal, this is the best I can do in this room (believe me, I tried:)

I agree that something has to be done with the shelves by the door; I'd like to take them down but I don't have any other place for the nicknacks (I'd like to keep at least some of them).

I'll reupholster ottomans to match sofa color and add some kind of orange stripe to them.
May 8, 2014 at 11:28AM     
jjandhk
can you try your sofa turned 90 degrees, about 3' in front of that closed door; and then the desk under the front window; the armchair and end table with light sorta where the sofa is now--angled toward the sofa; and the white (birdbath?) sculpture to the right of the main entry door?
and then could you centre the small white cabinet (table?) in the centre of that wall and use your shelves above it?
and lastly, could you hang maybe a couple of you pictures behind the door; and make a gallery wall behind the new place for the sofa?

these are just my ideas from afar....like you said--you've probably tried them all already :)
May 8, 2014 at 2:09PM        Thanked by o_ga
o_ga
thank you jjandhk! I haven't tried this layout yet and will try it. That's where that home design software comes in handy:)
May 8, 2014 at 2:51PM   
Libbmom
Since you don't use that door...can you put sofa in front of the windows and end table with lamp in front of door? Put the single chair where the sofa is...slide desk to the left in front of window. Open up the ikea table along wall with all the pictures. Move your shelves to the wall beside the desk...put the small white table beside the chair.
May 8, 2014 at 6:25PM        Thanked by o_ga
Is this rug too dark for my couch and living room?
I found this rug that I love, totally the color palette...
Need help with my walls in my living room...and window treatments too!
just finished remodeling this 1968 home...needs ideas...
Help for my Living Room!/Keeping room. too plain!
My living room/keeping room just off the kitchen has...
I think I have too many lamps in my living room
My living room is large with only one overhead light...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Defining perimiter of Home Gym
My husband and I have created a home gym this weekend....