Is the rug too bright for my living room?
o_ga
When I purchased this rug, I was in love with how bright it is. However, now I think it's too bright. I have other bright accessories in this room, and I feel like I have to tone them down because of the rug. But I'd rather get rid of the rug then tone down my accessories. What do you think?
No I don't think it is too bright at all. I love this rug and I like your style. Kudos for being daring.

In fact your colours are muted. I think your wall with pictures doesn't have enough colour to balance out the carpet. Also I would like to see your furniture pulled in a little bit so that not everything is pushed back as far as possible...
8 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 1:01PM
Monica Ellison
I love the rug. Nice room.
5 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 1:03PM
Rio Brewster
I think it's fine. The colors in the rug pull everything together. If anything I'd remove one of the pillows. It's a busy pattern, so I would keep the accessories to a minimum or go with solid color pillows.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 1:07PM
shal1217
I like the rug!
2 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 1:11PM
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the rug..remove the 2 round ottomans and add a large black or dark brown leather ottoman...or a large non glass coffee table.
4 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 3:24PM
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 3:38PM
jjandhk
i also love the rug! and your wall art, and design style.
I'm wondering about the furniture layout...the desk seem close to the sofa.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 3:46PM
o_ga
To Barbara Griffith Designs and Chemayne: thank you for your ideas. I used to have dark table (with storage) and large ottoman. I got rid of both of them since my room is small, and I found more versatile replacements for them - white folding table from Ikea (you can see it on the last picture) and 2 ottomans with storage, which we use in lieu of coffee table as well.

When we have company, we just put a square board (a nice looking shelf from Ikea) on top of the ottomans. We love the amount of space freed up by not having 2 large pieces of furniture.
1 Like   May 7, 2014 at 3:54PM
o_ga
To ASVInteriors, jjandhk and Rio Brewster: thank you! Will pull the furniture away from the walls, add more color to the wall with pictures, and rethink pillow colors.
0 Likes   May 7, 2014 at 3:57PM
khloe2012
Yes.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 6:28PM
rnonwheels
The rug is great I agree with the others it just needs to be balanced with some color on the walls, consider even that though you have the colors in the photes and the lattice, they are not near as "thick" or heavy as the rug and the ottomans, so some bolder/heavier sized color is needed up on top, perhaps even one whole wall in the green would add the needed balance.
4 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 6:36PM
bgfuqua
your room is great. wonderful to see instead of so many with three dark matching pieces of furniture. love the rug and the ottomans.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 7, 2014 at 10:25PM
Karin Madgwick
I agree that the rug is great and more colour is needed, maybe curtains in the same bright orange as the rug.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 4:26AM
Kathleen Marineau
You could paint the short wall next to the door, the one with the book shelves in a color on the same card as the orange, maybe a bit lighter. The drapes look washed out, perhaps something more like the brown in the rug, in a solid color. I agree with solid color pillows so the rug's pattern isn't competing with other patterns. It there are no competing designs (swirls, stripes, etc) then the rug can be the queen, or king, of the room.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 4:35AM
Fraanie Grigg
I like the room as it is!
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 4:53AM
The rug and major furnishings are great, the arrangement and accessorizing not so much. Unless that door is not used, the shelves crammed into it are an anomaly. They are too flimsy looking and are too loaded with stuff to have the right impact for your room, so I'd remove them. If it were my space, I'd be very tempted to paint it the light blue-gray color from the rug. Since you don't seem to have any walls that are unpierced by doors or windows, I don't think you should try to do any accent wall, but cozy the space with color everywhere. Great pieces in your art grouping, but if that wall is long enough and traffic flow would not be interrupted, I think the sofa should go there, rather than where it partially covers a window. If traffic is an issue, you might pull the sofa away from the wall and leave a foot path behind it. Then you'll need re-think the layout of the grouping to anchor it visually to the sofa. The desk could then move to the left side of the window with the geometric orange art piece above it. Dining table on the wall that is now right of the desk.
2 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 6:29AM
Warner Decor
Hi I think that I would do something different above the couch. You have done a wonderful job of incorporating the colors from the rug throughout the room, and should be proud of yourself! Mirrors may look nice, and here are a few other suggestions:
http://deciture.com/artistic-styled-metal-wall-decor-2-assorted/
http://deciture.com/artistic-styled-metal-wall-decor-assorted/
http://deciture.com/attractive-styled-classy-metal-wall-plaque/
http://deciture.com/emlyn-round-bright-color-wall-mirrors-set-of-5/ (fun colors, but may be too bright for you)

Hope this helps!
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 6:39AM
Libbmom
Would be nice to see all walls...agree there might be a better arrangement.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 7:09AM
tkailua
Love the rug and everything else you have done! Room looks eclectic and collected rather than cookie cutter furniture store display. So tired of that look. I agree with something more substantial above your sofa. Great job!
2 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 7:45AM
Christine
Keep the rug. It is fabulous. You can either tone down the accessories or place them in more pleasing set ups. For example you have a small problem with scale and too many knick knacks. I would remove those shelves behind the door and then move those starlike ornament over the sofa and hang that behind the door with a small console to serve as a catchall for keys, etc. Then the table with the lamp on it needs addressing. The legs on the table are fighting with the legs on the side chair. I would probably rethink that table and just keep a lamp and nix the flowers and any other clutter. Also if you could position that desk elsewhere in the home, it would make the space appear more dedicated to living and relaxing and not also working and a cat hang out. I also think you like circles. In the small tables, the round tables in front of the sofa and in the curtain. You may need to add additonal linear shapes to calm down the movement in the room and I would go for plainer couch pillows with a more subtle pattern. Also I think the step up picture arrangement would work better on a staircase. You should do an organized set of frames. Maybe 9 oversized frames in the same color with an ecclectic set of black and white prints in them. This will be a fun room for you to play around with to achieve the right look but keep the rug. It makes the room.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 7:55AM
alicejean
I like this so far. I would like to see one of the bold colors in the rug repeated in the draperies and in the frames on the wall. Keep going here. Have fun!
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 8:03AM
o_ga
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I appreciate it. It's great to see my place in another light.

I attached more pictures.

The door near shelves is not used. I can't paint my walls since I rent this place.

And although I understand that my furniture placement is not ideal, this is the best I can do in this room (believe me, I tried:)

I agree that something has to be done with the shelves by the door; I'd like to take them down but I don't have any other place for the nicknacks (I'd like to keep at least some of them).

I'll reupholster ottomans to match sofa color and add some kind of orange stripe to them.
1 Like   May 8, 2014 at 11:28AM
jjandhk
can you try your sofa turned 90 degrees, about 3' in front of that closed door; and then the desk under the front window; the armchair and end table with light sorta where the sofa is now--angled toward the sofa; and the white (birdbath?) sculpture to the right of the main entry door?
and then could you centre the small white cabinet (table?) in the centre of that wall and use your shelves above it?
and lastly, could you hang maybe a couple of you pictures behind the door; and make a gallery wall behind the new place for the sofa?

these are just my ideas from afar....like you said--you've probably tried them all already :)
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 2:09PM
o_ga
thank you jjandhk! I haven't tried this layout yet and will try it. That's where that home design software comes in handy:)
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 2:51PM
Libbmom
Since you don't use that door...can you put sofa in front of the windows and end table with lamp in front of door? Put the single chair where the sofa is...slide desk to the left in front of window. Open up the ikea table along wall with all the pictures. Move your shelves to the wall beside the desk...put the small white table beside the chair.
1 Like   Thanked by o_ga    May 8, 2014 at 6:25PM
Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
I love your area rug, please do not get rid of it! We designers are always excited when our clients are brave and daring, so don't turn the other way. :)

I think what is making it a little overwhelming is those ottomans and the print on some of the pillows. I would suggest using the blue gray tones in the rug and use that for the ottomans... Is that the color of the one on the left? Maybe get rid or place the red ottoman somewhere else.

The art on the wall above the sofa is cool but a little out of scale... Are there more pieces so that you can spread it wider across The wall? I also think that if you swap your pillows out to have thinner lines or print/ design, it will look better.

Love all the color!!!!

Janis, GKB
0 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    December 12, 2014 at 4:45PM
Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
Looked at pic again, pillow I the middle with the blotch works... I think it is the pillow on the left with the flowers that throws things off....
0 Likes   Thanked by o_ga    December 12, 2014 at 4:46PM
Guangzhou Halance Technology Co.,Ltd.
Attached star Rug halance05@163.com Helen Liu

Size 1M by 2M, USD179.63 /Set
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:00PM
Ann
Old post.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 6:20PM
Is this rug too dark for my couch and living room?
I found this rug that I love, totally the color palette...
mahbona
Need help with my walls in my living room...and window treatments too!
just finished remodeling this 1968 home...needs ideas...
forestdr
Help for my Living Room!/Keeping room. too plain!
My living room/keeping room just off the kitchen has...
bouckcottage
Who's my candidate?
I'm so so ready to decorate someone house!! I live...
Erica Heard
will this ceiling molding make my ceilings appear taller?
I have 92"-93" ceilings. I have simple crown molding...
ayeymg
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
Need help for Kitchen - what should I do?
What should be done in my kitchen to get cosy athmosphere....
Rok
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8