POLL: Real or Fake Grass?
May 7, 2014 in Polls
We're seeing more and more artificial lawns used, but how do you feel about them? Would you put one in at your place or are you sticking to the real thing?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Artificial Grass
Real Only!
Other - Tell us below!
grobby
I would rather have no grass than have an artificial lawn. Surely there's some other option - natural areas ?
34 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 5:54PM
lc29
I have a postage stamp size yard, my grass has to be cut by a weed trimmer and I never seem to get a healthy looking lawn. I would definitely switch to artificial, they've come a long way and many need a second or third look to be sure if it's real or artificial.
18 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 7:00PM
rredpenn
At least with real grass, it's new and renews itself all season long. I don't want to imagine what a fake turf would smell like after a few years of my dogs and cat. (sorry...that was a disgusting thought)
23 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 7:05PM
Hmmm, I love nature and always try to go for natural over artificial. Particularly as plastics are not anything I encourage. BUT artificial grass has been super helpful in areas where all other plants haven't worked. So instead of non-stop grief, it is a pragmatic solution when all else fails.
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 7:51PM
Margaret Wakefield
Sand
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 8:08PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I think there is a law here in Michigan that if you have a fake lawn, you must have a fake lawn mower.
41 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 8:24PM
cowballz
in theedville its a brand new dawn
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 8:26PM
Hmmm mark, a new design opportunity: the blameless lawnmower: no noise, no blood, no angry neighbours :-)
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 8:28PM
Curt D'Onofrio
We like the real deal. But after 4 years of trying to grow grass in our backyard...i'm reaching i fear my breaking point. It seems to grow rocks and mud pretty good though.
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 7, 2014 at 8:39PM
ambersarris
I'm not usually a fan of anything artificial and wouldn't use fake turf in my front yard but i've put it in my "laundry courtyard" where we don't get enough full sun and needed something that doesn't get slippery or affected by bleach etc. Also if I had a roof terrace I would consider it.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 6:46AM
Marly
Lawns are bad for the environment. I'm hoping to turn mine into more of a garden (with walking paths).
12 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 6:52AM
Marly
If you can't grow a lawn, try native plants. Ask a nursery for help.
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 6:52AM
sheriss
I wish I had put in fake grass instead of rock. I hadn't seen it before we landscaped.
I don't want to take care of a lawn and my husband can't so we went for gravel/rock. Not an unusual choice in the Phoenix area.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 6:52AM
David Wilkes Design
I think in an ideal world everyone would have real lawn.....but unfortunately we have areas which don't get sun, people that are too busy (or lazy) to look after lawns and gardens, or really small spaces which make more sense to put artificial lawn down.
The good thing about artificial lawns is, if you're not into gardening - your lawn stays perfect looking - no matter how often you forget to water or mow it!
I don't think it's as bad as you may think with pets, as long as you wash their mess off occasionally! We have a couple of dogs where I'm living now on artificial grass and it's not an issue.
Having said that, where I am in Western Australia - we have a lot of really hot weather - and the turf gets VERY hot if it's in the sun.....so you can forget about walking on it barefoot or letting kids play on it.
My new house is just about finished and I'm still tossing up whether to put real or fake turf down. Since we only have a very small amount, I would generally lean towards fake lawn - but with children on the horizon I will probably end up going for the real stuff.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 6:57AM
Marly
Artificial lawns also remind me of an old Nick-at-Nite promo for 'The Brady Bunch.' One of the lines in the song was: "I wanna mow the AstroTurf..."
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 7:03AM
smileyface2013
Never say never! Given water shortages in certain areas, I would not rule it out. But I would also consider other options as well, if real grass was not feasible.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 7:10AM
lincolnlover
Real lawn is just so much better!!! Yes it is hard to get green but once it is its so much better!! You can walk on it it is soft and I can do gymnastics on it easily!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 11:24AM
mabelbridges
Artificial turf doesn't need fertilizer, pesticides or water. There are some types that look very real!
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 11:43AM
Marly
Lol, I found a video of the Brady Bunch "mow the AstroTurf" song:
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 12:16PM
Rebecca Hite Real Estate, Huntington Properties
Real - even though the maintenance can be a pain, nothing can substitute real grass.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 1:38PM
wickedxx
If there's some good artificial out there I don't see why not if it's beneficial as we age as far as maintenance on the real stuff.

Overall I prefer real but now I'm not able to take care of it.

I wouldn't do a big sloped yard like mine with it. A small area would be fine.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 8, 2014 at 9:01PM
pegilibby
In other parts of the country, it's a decision to be made. But I live in the desert and the only decision is finding the most realistic looking artificial grass.
8 Likes   May 10, 2014 at 1:08PM
karelina
Artificial turf is plastic. Grass means mowing, fertilizing, weedkiller and poisoning the environment. I'd go for an alternative. Plant natives. Patios with gravel and ground cover. Rain gardens. All less work and good for the earth.
11 Likes   May 10, 2014 at 6:00PM
kiya05
I plan to xeroscape the front yard, and add artificial grass for color, etc. I live in an area that has water rationing, so can only water twice a week, and I never had a decent lawn, plus the neighborhood cats dig holes in it to use like a litterbox. I think artificial grass will stop them from doing that. I plan to have a strip of real grass down the middle of the back, since it's a large area, and my animals like it, but I get tired of the watering and mowing, and if it doesn't look good, or is too much work, then maybe the cost of artificial grass back there would also be worth it.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 1:44AM
kwabenapeprah
I have used artificial turf on a roof top terrace to mimic greenery. However, on the compound, I used natural grass because of its regeneration possibilities and its contribution to the eco system.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 2:59AM
Kathleen Marineau
I can't afford weed killer, grass seed, fertilizer, and mulch every year. My lawns are whatever survives with minimal attention. Natives don't stop the weeds, which are also native, and hardscaping has to be done in drips and drops because of cost. I remember the 1950s when "Keeping up with the Jones's" meant competition for the best looking lawn on the block. It was one of many wrong priorities that led to the early hippie/anti-establishment movement (before drugs spoiled it). For me, the answer is: whatever fits your needs and will live.
5 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:23AM
I was at a garden show this weekend and I have seen the future and it is bright .... pink artificial grass (actually goes quite well with greenery!!!)
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:46AM
catste
Buying the grass type that suits your location (eg, shade tolerant, drought resistant) from a good quality supplier, planting on soil of sufficient quality to nurture it (in the UK, soil quality can be improved by buying worms from http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/ ) and taking adequate care (removing leaf fall, ensuring sufficient water etc) can make a massive difference in lawn quality. Many garden centres sell cheap low quality turf that will only thrive where conditions are ideal. If you can't offer the right environment for grass (which like all plants, needs specific conditions) find another natural solution. If you put down artificial turf you're coating the ground with plastic.
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:58AM
Roc+Solid Land Design
First, pink artificial turf (AT, henceforth)?? Sounds like A Charlie Brown Christmas but with turf instead of Christmas trees. Gross.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 4:08AM
Roc+Solid Land Design
Second, most AT comes underlaid with grinded up rubber tires. Although this sounds like a great way to recycle rubber, the rubber ends up making the AT too hot. Also, the rubber off gases, thus affecting those with asthma, etc. And....any water that moves through it will contaminate nearby waterways. So, if you're going to use AT, underlay it with a natural product such as coconut fiber.
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:11AM
Luciana
I've just used some in my "humongous" back garden! Never thought I'd go for plastic but, given the size of the space, I hope I'd be forgiven...
19 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:12AM
Roc+Solid Land Design
As for watering, AT has to be watered too, especially if there's are dogs and cats using it. You can use an irrigation system or hose to wash it down. Otherwise it will get nasty.
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:13AM
Roc+Solid Land Design
Also, if you live in Austin, Texas and are dealing with impervious limits on your property (as relates to building cover, not water issues), understand the City considers AT to be impervious. So if you have already maxed out your impervious cover, do not use AT.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:15AM
Roc+Solid Land Design
As for lawns, several people have said they are bad and we must sub with natives. Well, down here in Texas, we have lawn options that are native. For instance, Habiturf: a combo of buffalo, mesquite and blue grama grasses. Then there are sedges for the shade and nimblewill muhly grass for sunnier spots. Also, I have a small patch of the nonnative zoysia in my front yard. It was leftover after a client install. And I don't do anything except handpull plants that look visually awkward. My point is that a lawn does not have to be a bad thing if taken care of organically and properly. That being said, there is WAY too much emphasis on the lawn and I am always trying to get people to reduce their lawn. However, when I get the client with three boys and two champion great Dane dogs....well, I understand why they need more lawn than most people. A lawn should serve a real need, and not be a means to exert ones domination over nature (as demonstrated by the very aggressive Home Depot commercials).
10 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:24AM
sunnie2day
@Roc+Solid, when I lived along the Gulf of Mexico all that beautiful (heh) St. Augustine drove my then husband happily insane trying to maintain. After the divorce I let it go, the bahia took over, and you know, mown it looks pretty darn good and it's drought resistant too! Loved it, let it happen over the next 15 years in the two homes I owned before relocating to my parents native UK.

We have a very small strip of lovely lawn (really a strip at 10x30') my now husband tends by mowing and edging whatever is there, lol! We're moving soon or I'd be tearing that strip out with his fervent blessing and doing it over as a veg patch or flower garden.

I voted real but I do think artificial is lovely in the right places - Luciana's gorgeous gem of a back garden looks beyond fab with it!
5 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:43AM
srdrew
For 25 years I lived in the Haight-Asbury district in San Francisco. My backyard was a small north-facing space, surrounded by 3 story victorians. It got very little direct sunlight except in mid-summer when the sun was high enough in the sky to reach over the adjacent victorian homes. I got sick and tired of the natural lawn always being soggy during the winter so I had artificial lawn installed. Best decision I ever made. It wasn't inexpensive but the result was worth every penny. I had it professionally installed. The company dug up the old lawn, installed drainage layers of rock and sand, and installed the artificial lawn in one afternoon. I chose a high-quality product that looked and felt very natural. Friends and neighbors were amazed at how comfortable it was to touch and sit on. And the best thing about it was that it dried within 10 minutes after a rain storm. I could garden year round.
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 5:14AM
Joanna Zygo
Oops..I voted incorrectly
The artificial glass I suppose from some kind of plastic - no. The one which you roll out and it grows - yes (that one is what I thought you meant by artificial grass)
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 5:24AM
Beverly Ward
We have a small area for the dog's use. We tried grass, ground covers, rock and mulch. By far the best solution was field turf ( the kind used on athletic fields). Very real looking and easy to keep clean. The dogs like it too.
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 5:35AM
Carol Bisson
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I have white clover in the backyard (better wear with the dogs) and I have purple flowering thyme in the front yard. When it is in bloom everyone stops in amazement.
7 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 5:59AM
ddelora
In a housing tract with 1/4 acre lot, we have spent thousands of hours on the grass, only to still be fighting weeds, clover, et al. Over the course of 3 years, we replaced over 1/2 of the grass with rubber mulch and large pots with plants, and capped about 10-15 sprinklers. Our water bill never changed, but we used to spend 2 hours a week - just mowing. Now we're done in 40 minutes.

We would like to replace the rest with the same, but reserve a small area for the 2 small dogs, using artificial grass. But every established "artificial lawn" we've seen still has weeds growing up through it, as dirt and neighbors ill-kept lawns with weed seeds blow onto your yard, and...voila!
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 6:50AM
Oclides Guerra
a new design is life new
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 7:56AM
Jo DP
Artificial lawn? as bad as artificial flowers! How can anything beat nature. Lovely to feel real grass between ones toes and for children to pick daisies. How horrid would afternoon T be on artificial compared with wicker chairs on a real english lawn-yes this is from England-think all those Agatha Christie scenarios without the foil of a proper garden.
My husband would be bereft without grass. he has no idea what a tulip is but pushes his lawn mower up and down in front of our windows as proudly as if he were pushing a pram.
When he is abroad he telephones and asks "how is the grass?", then he asks "how are the dogs" and then if he remembers he asks how I am.
6 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:08AM
cmdavis2
I recently installed artificial grass in my small Peoria, AZ back yard. Given our intense summer heat, this is a great way to save valuable water and still be able to enjoy the green. There is several inches of sand (real sand, not recycled rubber) underneath for drainage, it's soft to walk on, beautiful to look at and maintenance-free.
21 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:13AM
HI -- The trouble with artificial grass even if it does look nice ... it will be the same a thousand years from now . It is not biodegradable . Does the world really need more artificial plastic things . Choke --gag !!!
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:28AM
Robin
Right now I'm enjoying my coffee instead of laboring. And it's green in the winter.
10 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:31AM
Chris Shouse
I also live in the desert and we also have very high winds which dry everything out. So artificial is the way I am going to go. My portion of the house faces north so I only get late afternoon sun so it should not be a problem for my dog. I also have a water spout right her on my patio so I can hose it down easily. I am also going to put in a lot of native plants.
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:48AM
Alan Bernstein
With global warming, continuing water shortages and increases in water rates, we're redoing our garden with artificial turf...in addition to all the positives cited above. It does seem to get somewhat hot in direct sun. Is this an issue that people have noticed? Is it too hot to walk upon in the hot summer's direct sunlight?
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:01AM
Jolene
We have friends who have it in the front because we have limited water here Ca and the bunnies eat everything. It looks good. In the back where kids and dogs play it would be really gross!
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:19AM
auntkathy
I don't have a lot of grass. I do have a large area inside my driveway. There are many large trees, little sun, lots of shade. I have tried everything, some ground cover and plants to make a beautiful area. Looks good for a year, but with the deers, the landscaping only last a year. I would use artificial in this area, but my husband is totally opposed. With mulching, replanting, and the deers it is costing me a fortunate. Artificial looking better and better
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:31AM
Barbara Larson
My side yard is real lawn. My "backyard" is currently blacktop which leads to the entrance to the garage. I am seriously considering artificial turf which can be driven over. My only concern is whether or not it stands up to dogs. Anyone know the answer to that?
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 9:48AM
cmdavis2
There are different grades of artificial turf. One is a pet grade, which doesn't get hot in the sun and stands up to pet use.
7 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:56AM
Barbara Larson
Thanks cmdavis2 that is exactly what I am looking for otherwise it would be all pavers which would be ok but I DO like the look of lawn.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 10:04AM
Chris Shouse
Thanks cmdavis2 I did not know that...
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 10:16AM
revmormor
No grass at all if possible. Depending on your plant zone, prairie grasses, berms w/ easy maintenance small trees and shrubs, veggie gardens, or flower beds. Leave a small patch of grass for a path or as part of the overall design. Artificial lawn? NEVER!
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 10:32AM
turn3
not liking anything fake, I made a total turn around on synthetic grass, those against it are ill informed.....having been in high end const for over 35 years, man made grass has come leaps and bounds......nothing worse than admiring ones landscape and viewing a brown patch,no matter how small.......
10 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 10:46AM
bungalowmo
I voted real. Weeds & all, it's the way to go.

Besides, I could never afford 1/2 acre of the fake stuff!
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 10:53AM
dc14
One of my favorite things in the world is a big green grassy yard. I love the look, the feel, the smell of cut grass... all of it. I don't like rock and I don't like succulents. But after years of wasted water and work, I gave up. We have terrible soil and too much sun and not enough rain. Plus we live on a hill so when we water, it just runs down the driveway. So we put in the fake stuff. It looks nice enough because we combined it with a bunch of shrubbery and stuff that handles the environment a little better. They make really good looking stuff now - not so Brady Bunch. So it is nice, it's just very So Cal - looks good, but just not the real thing. ;-)
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 11:01AM
architectrunnerguy
In Colorado one can get rid of the fake stuff and have real grass now.
3 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 11:04AM
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
Oh its an awesome invention. This eradicates all the maintenance about the upkeep of your lawn. However please make sure that you get the better ones. There are several on the market but some definitely looks and feel soft to the touch. Go for it.

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 12:46PM
boogaloo38
Artificial grass is a fantastic option for us bc we don't have a huge lawn area so no maintenance, We're in CA so its GREEN and we're mildly allergic too... win, win, win!
6 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:16PM
sorton12
Living in an area like Arizona, some of us are very water concious and make every effort to keep usage down to conserve. With that said, I'm originally from the PacNW and appreciate a beautiful lawn, but I have to say.. when it's 110 degrees outside and I'm not having to mow my beautiful green turf, I feel great! My Dog is allergic to grasses too, so this helps keep him itching and scratching less. I'm doing my part.. CONSERVE WATER!
6 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:26PM
sorton12
Note about artificial turf.. pay extra for good quality grass and if you have big dogs like we do, get the turf with more holes for drainage. In addition, water it down about once every couple of weeks, unless you get plenty of rain. If you need to give it a clean, just buy a rubber bristled brush on a long pole and use a bit of Dawn detergent. Works like a charm keeping the animal odors to a minimum.
3 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:28PM
sorton12
Ours is located in the backyard, not the front - very nice!
6 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 3:29PM
books23
We bought a house with fake grass in the backyard. It's great! No maintenance, it looks nice, it's very soft, and YES it holds up fine with pets. After 3+ yrs with 2 dogs it is not dirty or gross. Obviously we pick up after the dog and hose it down once in awhile but I am very impressed with it. So much so that we are considering it for the front yard. In drought prone areas like southern CA, it's a smart thing to do.
9 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:28PM
kimmasterbath
in drought areas...use drought tolerant real plants...looks better than fake, more interesting to look at, and it absorbs CO2 , photosynthesizes to create O2....come on folks....have you forgotten your grade school science? PS...I live in a drought area too.
3 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 4:56PM
Oclides Guerra
In panama is very popular the lawn artificial ,in social area and kids area of playin,sorry for my english ,see you
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 6:47PM
faylala
Who wants to be bothered with finding a gardener who will be reasonably priced and do a good job? And I forgot, not puncture your water hose or cut your cactus. I don't!! Give me perpetually green and maintenance free grass anytime!
4 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 7:19PM
hollyrj
We have a 2nd home in Tucson. With the drought everyone is having, and scarcity of water in the Southwest, I think it is irresponsible to have a lawn. Have you seen the Colorado river (or what is left of it) lately? We put in turf in a few areas of our back yard. It looks incredibly realistic. And the quail and doves seem to like it too!
9 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 8:31PM
Diane Fairbanks
For the past 10 years or so, I rototill bare spots or weedy areas in my lawn each spring--and each fall as well--reseed, water, and watch the new grass die despite tending to it assiduously. I think I would e thrilled to put in the high-end artificial turf if I could afford it! I don't mind doing maintenance but reseeding twice a year, and usually for naught, is getting quite old.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:38PM
gknych
I have a dog who liked to dig. Now that we have artificial grass in our front yard he can run and play with his dog friends without us having to worry about how the yard looks. It also saves us a ton on watering.
2 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 9:48PM
Robin
People are environmentally responsible that use AstroTurf. Why? Because it's made from RECYCLED plastics AND rubber that don't end up in a landfill or in the air (after burning). Rubber is a natural product from the earth from rubber trees in the Americas. In addition to the resource and time savings already mentioned, an AstroTurf owner isn't using a gas powered lawn mower that's choking out carbon monoxide and burned fossil fuels. Using an electric mower isn't better because the electricity is produced burning fossil fuels. Using AstroTurf is a responsible way to reuse what's already been produced and reduce further demand on virgin resources (water, trees, fossil fuels, time) and reduce the use of chemicals to fight bug and plant infestations. Natural grass doesn't grow in densely packed areas the way we want it to grow (no biodiversity) so to force it into this arrangement only creates the problems we then are compelled to fight off. These types of lawns are indeed unnatural.
4 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 8:05AM
Alan Brookman
Artificial lawns are becoming very realistic, but I'm still trying to get artificial dandelions to go with them...
6 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 8:52AM
monika2024
Hell no! No matter what it's still fake like the brady bunch! I guess if you go plastic you can get the plastic plants to match and never have do your landscaping... But whatdo you do when a dog craps in your yard...?? Its not like real grass wherethe remnants (THERE ARE ALWAYS REMNANTS) can get hosed off into the soil where they just become lawn fertilizer.

Robin, not true. Have you researched to see what chemicals are used to produce the product? Or HOW it's produced? Just as toxic to earth as having a real lawn, unless of vourse those who have real lawns use organic fertilizers and herbicides.
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 10:31AM
Studio NOO Design
Please, be green, real grass !
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 10:43AM
Luciana
Be careful, the artificial stuff can cause marital problems. I thought it would be fun to have some grass on the wall (it's a birdie!!), hubby said "either that piece of kitsch goes or I will!"...
I mean... he is great and sweet and caring, but dissing my art like that.... not sure what to choose...
9 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 10:57AM
sunnie2day
Luciana, fwiw, I like the bird and it doesn't look kitsch to me (but here lately I've been thinking pale pinks and oranges look great together, so I'm possibly not the best judge:). What does he suggest?
2 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 11:09AM
sorton12
Fake grass is toxic to the earth? I would disagree. I'm not loading the soil with fertilizers, running a lawn mower and watering chemicals in the grass. I love that picking up dog poo is super easy. The rest, just quickly rinses off with a hose.
4 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 11:54AM
Luciana
Sunnie, he doesn't suggest anything, he is very clear he doesn't want astroturf on his walls (and I was planing a whole idyllic scene, with stars and clouds and maybe a cow grazing...).
He keeps muttering about my 'bonkerness' and that I'm off the wall and that's where my birdie should be too. Insensitive chap, really, he's a stockbroker, what does he know about art!?! I was ready to create an entire new trend of "ready to mount astroturf cut-outs for your garden walls" (or something) and he cut off my wings before I even got started...

And pale pinks and oranges can look good together, it depends who's looking at them!
4 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 12:03PM
sunnie2day
Ooh, clouds and stars and maybe a cow! I like it but I can see a stockbroker thinking that over-the-top, lol! Still, were fairy lights a part of the business plan - perfect for stars, and really would make a lovely setting for the garden:)
2 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 12:08PM
Robin
monika2024, the point I made was that the plastics and rubbers were already produced for other products. When those products are discarded they either reach a landfill, get dumped in oceans, or end up recycled into AstroTurf. Which destination is the better of the solutions? Last I checked it's still responsible to reduce, reuse, and recycle and you and I can't stop the production of plastics and rubbers.
5 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 12:12PM
phidauex
I'd like to throw a vote out for non-grass lawns! Xeriscaped, "steppable" plants, attractive pavers with embedded planters, etc, can all be really inviting to hang out on, and much easier to maintain than Kentucky Bluegrass. Better for the environment too, especially if you are in one of the ever-expanding regions that is restricting lawn watering due to dwindling fresh water supplies.
2 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 12:28PM
woodlands11
JCPckturs
We have natural lawn everywhere around our house except in the children's playground. As the play area is accessible immediately from a patio-door the artificial grass in this area means the children can play on dry ground within 5 minutes of a rain shower and no grass, earth, gravel, sand or water gets trodden into our wooden floors and carpets. It looks well, is a safe soft landing and is maintenance free!
4 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 1:59PM
fultez51
We live in Arizona where there are few real grass lawns for obvious reasons. Synthetic grass has come a long way over the years and looks much more real than it used to. We put in a small synthetic front yard and it adds a nice pop of green to our desert landscape. No watering, no fertilizing, no mowing, no edging...no brainer! Just beautiful lawn all year round.
4 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 2:33PM
kenkilgore
Didn't use the artificial turf outside, but rather INSIDE, in the space under the stair well in the basement. The walls are covered in stacked stone-looking vinyl wallpaper and the ceiling is painted a sky blue, thereby creating a bit of the outdoors right in the center of the house.
2 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 4:22PM
number30
I am thankful we live in a climate where we can enjoy our au naturale natural grass. We have never watered, fertilized, or sprayed anything that would kill any bug or plant. Half of our yard is actually a mixture of forget-me-nots or moss, which we only mow a couple time a year, with our electric lawnmower. So we have weeds (they're green) and the kids get muddy and track dirt in the house. I wouldn't have it any other way.
8 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 8:09PM
kasiadavid
I live in perth Western Australia. We recently renovated and deliberated over artificial versus real turf.
We installed palmetto lawn out the front where we get more sun, which does really well throughout the hot summer surviving on watering twice a week once established.
Out the back we have a smaller area, which abuts our alfreso and pool area. We installed a good quality artificial turf and I have no regrets. It does get hot in the middle of the day in the peak of summer, but I don't want my 2 children playing in the sun at that time of the day anyhow. as soon as the day cools off a little, the lawn cools off. It also means the kids can run in and out without bringing all of the lawn clippings inside.
2 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 4:55AM
Hallmark Kitchen Designs
I came here ready to lay down the law(n) on artificial vs real, I was completely against the idea of an artificial lawn, but I am from the UK where it seems like it rains all the time so upkeep on a lawn is pretty easy! After reading all your comments I am completely converted there is definitely a place for the artificial lawn, especially for some of you Lucky enough to live in sunny places!
7 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 5:32AM
EasyTurf
You might say I'm biased, but before I started working for EasyTurf, I was definitely a lawn-purist. "Artificial grass. No way!" But in the last couple of years, I've turned around. My change of opinion stems from two things-1 EasyTurf is so much better for the environment. Not only do we save water and the layering of chemicals needed for the upkeep of a real grass lawn, but we're made out of recycled products (reduce, reuse, recycle!). 2-EasyTurf looks like the real thing. The only way you can tell the difference between an EasyTurf lawn and a real grass lawn is by the lack of weeds and brown spots.
My two cents, for what it's worth. Also want to point out that AstroTurf is just one brand of artificial turf ....
Cheers!
George
9 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 5:57AM
thefalcon7
Combo. The new quality fake grasses are nothing like the plastic looking ones from the past. They're soft and supple. In difficult areas to mow, and/or in a back yard doggie area they're ideal. Then put the real grass in the larger, mow-able areas.
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 6:58PM
dworaks
Companies can emulsify it, colorize it and form it into little shapes (like blades of grass) ………and it's still petroleum. Most plastic is made from petroleum, which off-gasses and leaches, most rapidly when people and pets walk on it. Companies might present fake turf as Mother Nature's Eco Green Heavenly Grass Bounty with Little Furry Animals on Top, but ……….it's ……….chemicals. It might look green and uniform for a short time (just wait), but it's still fake and it's still toxic. (Do a quick online search on the irrefutable evidence about plastic pollution from scientists around the globe.) However, if plastic ground cover is a consideration, it is nice to inquire with neighbors and it's best to check with the HOA and the city/town to get permission. People can become infuriated by neighbors' installation of fake grass because it's inconsistent with the streetscape, looks odd next to real gardens, devalues their real estate (living next to "that" house), etc., they say (their words, not mine). Also, some cities and towns won't allow it because rain carries the toxic chemicals into the creeks, rivers, etc. and causes serious environmental damage, experts say.
2 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 11:29PM
granbahia
I have fake grass since 8 years and it looks and feels amazing -it looks real , lots of people commenting how good my "grass" looks.
Am in the process of building a new house and will definitely put fake grass again.
5 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 12:03AM
Pieter Joubert
Look, don't get me wrong-there is nothing like real grass and the rewards received from a well maintained lawn, BUT there are certain areas where grass just won't grow (even under our perfect African skies) and therefore I firmly believe that fake grass has its place. I would like to use both, but cannot find a PROPER product in South Africa... So for now, real patchy grass it is
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 1:33AM
svadrianne
Fake grass is a feature, like wall paper or paving. In the city, fake grass may be the only alternative to use. I prefer live over artificial but live in an area experiencing severe drought...live grass may be a luxury of the past soon for many areas of the country.
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 3:36AM
Heather Magee
either...whatever it needs to be to suit the looks and needs of the yard
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 3:38AM
Phyllis
ASVinteriors,
Pink artificial grass??? Really? Sure would get the neighbors talking ... I can hear them whispering to each other ... "hangmans noose or tar and feathers?" LOL I'm kidding of course, but perhaps in a playground area it would be cute. (I could easily see primary colors at a nursery school playground...)
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 3:55AM
lsudlow
Artificial grass? Ugh! The worst thing you can do for the environment -- if we want to have an environment we can live in in the future, we need to stop using plastics and petroleum products that add CO2 to the atmosphere, which we all know is causing the climate destruction so many parts of the world are now experiencing. If you don't want to take care of a lawn, use naturalizing plants like Pachasandra, moss or decorative grasses. A friend of mine had a whole backyard of Black-eyed Susans. There are definitely options. Houzz probably has lots of examples and ideas.
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 4:39AM
rfc100
Fake grass all the way! No pesticides, wasting water, gas, fumes, and time. Looks better too.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 4:51AM
fizzymom
Actually I like both depending on where you are going to use it. I had it in my last house. Weeds do still grow through the fake grass. However, you have a beautiful, natural looking lawn all the time. So, my advice is to use it in the front of the house. However, if you like to run barefoot on your lawn, do not use it where you would be playing because that plastic gets very hot and I have burned my foot on it (which is why I had it removed from the backyard. Also, consider your dog's paws. If it burnt my feet, I can only imagine what it was doing to theirs.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 5:26AM
Cheryl Biermann
We live atop a rocky ridge in the Rockies foothills, This year we're done with grass, actually all the droughts decided for us. We are sowing clover, may as well have flowers, green and feed the deer rather than look at a couple of acres of brown crunchy weeds that hurt my bare feet!
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 6:15AM
Randy Angell
I often use both real and artificial with my clients. In some areas, like between stepper pads, or around the swimming pool, artificial turf is a great solution to an otherwise problematic situation. Real grass can be difficult at best, in these areas, if not an absolute nightmare.
3 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 6:22AM
tmertensmeyer
There are various grades of quality. I would only buy the highest quality for looks and durability. The best application for artificial turf is in small yards.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 6:29AM
tropix_livinq
I would buy super high-quality faux grass. It kind of makes sense since I'm OCD-- fake lawns are so much easier to keep under control! Plus, no icky worms or anything when I wanna go out, lie down, and work on my tan.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 6:37AM
Decorated Bathroom Company
We live in the desert. We got a rebate from the local government and replaced the front lawn only. The artificial turf was more expensive than marble per square foot but worth every penny. My lawn is always green and looks awesome and I never hear from the HOA about any brown spots!
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 6:40AM
almostjane
The world has enough faux substances for me, thanks very much. I'll take the real stuff and do what needs to be done.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 6:53AM
Jan Shomaker
Neither....... for California, drought tolerant and native species. Very little care, saves a boatload of water and looks beautiful
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 6:56AM
Amanda Webb
I would LOVE AstroTurf! Our community only allows it in the backyard. But what would it do to the bees? Without natural grass we don't get weeds, so unless we all want a ton of potted flowers how would this work? And we have neighborhood bunnies that just hop around eating the grass. I guess they would have to move too! Sad...
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:06AM
SoCal Contractor
I'm a strong supporter of real grass but have to admit that in some places/applications, artificial grass works. In a driveway, in an area not used, in extreme conditions where real grass cannot or poorly grows.
3 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:10AM
snowchaser8
As much as I love the feel of real grass under my feet, I'm in California and in the midst of an extreme drought; which is more the norm these days. Artificial grass can be an alternative that I would consider for a small area or deck; but these days I'm going for drought resistant local plants and lots of rocks.
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:23AM
jbmummy
Just a quick look at tatty aging fake turf is enough to decide you... real grass regenerates itself.
And of course, that smell of mown grass is too delicious to miss in your own back garden, let alone the stripes! And daisy chains (even if they are weeds I love them)...
Real any day for me.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:24AM
Ettridges
Artificial has its place in landscape design. Especially if you have pets. Our back yard is an oasis BECAUSE of the grass as my husband says, when he is sitting in the back lanai watching his golf. Honey I do not feel like I am skipping my chores :)
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:31AM
Marie Ricard
Permaculture.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:57AM
Robin
Fear is a poor foundation for rational choices.

It's important to recognize that petroleum is a wholly natural byproduct produced by the decay and compression of other natural materials. Man didn't produce it, the Earth did. All we did was move it from under- to above-ground (just like gold and water), the same way ants move dirt to create an underground hive. Petroleum isn't something to be feared and ostracized because it can be toxic to some things and not other things.

Additionally, when CO2 increases so does plant reproduction and production of O2, the exhaust. Abundant edible plants and a steady supply of oxygen is not only natural but also nontoxic to many. CO2 is not an evil antagonist. CO2 and O2 can be toxic to some things and not other things, but they aren't something to be feared and banished.

If we try to eliminate all of the things we fear, are natural AND toxic at one time or another to something (volcanic gases, petroleum plumes in oceans, supernovas, bees, nitrogen, uranium, algae, bacteria, etc.) there won't be a universe left. These fears and misdirected actions against the natural environment are irrational given our instinct to survive and genesis.
4 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:00AM
ldehayes
I replaced half of my front yard with artif. grass, the rest is xeriscape plants and bark. It looks great, saves a lot of water, plus I got a rebate from the city. In southern Calif. this makes a lot of sense.
3 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:07AM
Liza Hausman
I'm thrilled with my artificial lawn - they've come a long way - people think it's real!
3 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:11AM
Jan Shomaker
Good Going Idehayes. Check into coolcalifornia.org and take the challenge
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:17AM
carmardel
Great post! We live in AZ and the water consumption to keep a green lawn is enormous, not to mention the upkeep and bugs! But...it's soooo expensive! Any recommendations for a budget conscious solution for artificial turf? I've heard it's important to get made in USA.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 9:02AM
paulette719
The fake grass looks better and better and I do not want the maintainance of real grass
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 9:08AM
Alan Bernstein
Has anyone seen a large expanse of artificial turf for a small city park? Does it work in that application or are there better solutions for drought-growing areas like Southern California?
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 9:13AM
whbny312
The fake grass looks very real if installed by professionals. It also seems to make good sense here in dry Los Angeles, where the weather is getting hotter and drier every year. (It's early May and 99-degrees outside!!) These days, I opt for anything that looks good and natural, and requires less water to look that way. That said, I only hope that the materials used for this fake grass don't emit harmful chemicals into the atmosphere when the sun is beating down on it. (Btw, I would never, ever opt for those plastic perimeter fences, which look plastic and deteriorate and/or break faster than anyone thinks they will.)
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 9:24AM
Joan
we are now in process of turning 'lawn' areas into Meadow or Xeriscape ... and as for Astroturf, besides being ugly, remember, it's a petroleum product :)
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 9:27AM
southjerseynative
Lawns be gone .... I'm for care-free plantings, natural stone, and a meandering natural walking path .... a few bird houses and butterfly bushes would do nicely too.
2 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 10:46AM
belisima
Sure real grass looks great, but the maintenance is a killer. I have tried my best those last couple of years, but I seem to have weeds with grass and not grass with some weeds. Will be redoing the backyard with raised flower beds and stones. A 5x5 area where the kids playhouse is, will have the fake grass.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 10:50AM
msburbeck
Really, monoculture if any kind is bad for the environment. We all ought to replace our grass with edible plants in arrangements that allow them to help each other grow and help build healthy soil. So much better for all, and can be done beautifully as well.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 10:52AM
Marilyn Marlin
In part of our backyard i would consider it. We have so many trees and I won't let them cut down what trees we have. I enjoy the shade.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 11:09AM
mabulu
We have both. Real grass in the areas we walk and sit, artificial turf on our multi sport court.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 11:20AM
slgarwacki
We live in an area in Texas that charges exorbitant rates for water (typical summer month of sparse watering would be $500), so artificial grass that is a reasonable price would be a godsend.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 11:38AM
April White
If water is the expensive resource, and I needed a lawn to make it seem real, I'd go with fake. There are some amazing products out there. As a side note, we used to have 2 manicured acres at a different property. We had a team of gardeners there once a week and it took them 3 hrs. to do everything. The cost? $550/mo. and that was a deal. The water in the summer was $700/mo. This was in So. Calif., not a true desert area; just things to consider when you think you want REAL grass. It doesn't mow and water itself.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 12:05PM
Linet Miencha
i will go lawn real when maintained it looks wow...
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 12:19PM
bill102m
If you had asked me this question 4 years ago I would have said real grass forever. In my province of Ontario, we can no longer purchase any weed killers, no bug control at all, even the commercial pest control companies are so limited as to what they can use, that they are almost ineffective. I love well manicured, healthy green lawns. I don't mind doing the work to achieve it. Without the tools to make this possible most lawns are a mess in Ontario. P.S. Golf courses are exempt from this law. So if you want to see a great lawn, you have to be a golfer in Ontario.
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 12:36PM
auntiebuzzybee
@Sunnie2day, I saw above that you are moving???what happened with renovation? Son and gson still on for next month?

Sorry to interrupt, y'all!
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 12:52PM
Yael Pedhatzur
there are places where artificial turf can be used and solve landscaping or design problems. But in all honesty, whenever possible try to use real grass or other natural ground cover. so much more appealing.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 1:13PM
krf9
Does anyone in Canada/snowy regions have fake? I am looking at putting a small bit in my front yard, and I'm not worried that it will look fake as far as the grass blades/plastic goes, but I am worried that as soon as the snow melts it will be GREEN, which will stick out like a sore thumb, and make it obvious that its fake in that sense.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 1:24PM
detailaddict
Seriously? I couldn't imagine having a plastic lawn, real-looking or otherwise. Why would this even be an issue, with all the options for non-grass, shade-tolerant and drought-tolerant ground cover out there? See Benjamin Vogt's article on grass alternatives.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 1:28PM
Robin
On a side note for those of you looking for artificial grass, Costco and Sam's both sell high quality at competitive prices starting around $3/sq.ft. which includes shipping. Stick with standard sizes to reduce costs as shipping for nonstandard sizes is more than the turf (it's very heavy). It also pays to design your layout carefully according to manufacturer's recommendations (grass nap all running same direction). Out of 435 sq.ft. ordered, I managed to only have 6 sq.ft. of waste for repairs. It wasn't a simple square installation. The dogs love it and I love not cleaning landscape rocks off my patio that the dogs use to kick up and drag in. Installation really isn't that hard but does require muscle power hauling sand and turf, moving dirt, and hammering hundreds of stakes.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 1:38PM
whitepeaks
some spots need to look green, but the real thing can not happen....no water source
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 3:42PM
sammyjo5666
This should not even be a question!
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 5:09PM
macs321
At our place in Tucson we put in artificial grass because cleaning up after the puppies on stones was a pain, but here in Michigan real grass is great!
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 5:17PM
Leslie O'Malley
I'd take real grass over artificial IF it would grow in my back yard! I fought with it for 10 years before putting in artificial. In the hot desert it's great to look outside and see green!
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 5:55PM
bee
Neither! Both are dreadful. Try step-able plants: wooly thyme, creeping thyme, "Irish moss" All of the thymes are drought tolerant, The "mosses" take a bit of water and training but low growing ground covers are by far the best idea for an expanse of green.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 7:52PM
janbeulah
ground cover like thyme.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:40PM
micheleall
My yard looks like the one in the picture, there's nothing like it. Lay in it with your kids, grandchildren, significant other, or pet on a warm, sunny day and you'll know what I mean.
0 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 8:46PM
hidesertkath
I live in the California high desert. The Mojave Desert! With many consecutive 100+ days It is a harsh environment for growing plants that people in other areas take for granted. We researched artificial grass and chose the same one that the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas has in their landscape. We have had it now for 8 years and it is as beautiful as it was when new. I am originally from Oregon and if I had their rain, I would have their grass. But we rarely have rain, this year even less than usual. Both types of grass have their place.
6 Likes   May 14, 2014 at 9:51PM
Heidi
I would love to have artificial turf but I can't afford the one I want. Living in Southern California with a drought limits the amount of water I can use in my yard. Currently I have real grass in the back for my 2 year old and I've let the clover take over the front. I plan on doing a dry front yard with indigenous plants for my inland empire yard. If I had the $$$$ for the artificial turf I would do it in a heart beat!
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 10:30PM
Yael Pedhatzur
i live in a desert with severe drought and even harsher water usage restrictions. have a tiny little lawn just adjacent to the patio, most of the yard is ground cover that is drought resistant. Mainly herbs and succulents.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 2:12AM
Fiona Whitefoot
I'm from a part of Australia that doesn't get a lot of rain, so artificial lawns are the way to go. But I will always like the real deal! :-)
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 3:53AM
betd
Once we tried to have a beautiful lawn we thought we would start on the front lawn, we did everything right, used safe products, kept out dog off the lawn for weeks only to find that she was becoming ill from the products (the vet said people don't realize that the wind carries these products to other areas) that were pet friendly. We stopped. Now our yards consist of grass, clover, weeds, wild shrub and anything else that wishes to take root. My husband maintains our "not so typical real grass lawn" and trims the wild bushes and plants that grow. But along with this type of natural yard we enjoy the sights and residents of many wild animals. Deer, rabbits, fox, ducks, birds, gopher all live in or stop by the wild area of our yard to dine on the variety of items that grow in our yard.. Having tried to have a beautiful lawn and now having the lawn that we have, I would vote for natural real grass anytime.
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 5:02AM
Dan Andrews
Here's great install done by Royal Grass. Great for dogs, no mowing and no muddy footprints - what's not to like?!
More info here www.royalgrass.com they're a worldwide brand so you can get it in a lot of countries
3 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 5:20AM
eclecticedwardian
Neither--other than perhaps the "no-mow" natives. Small patches of grass, OK, but they are "on their own"--nothing but mowing. Trying to replace as much as the lawn as possible with native perennials.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 7:59AM
bee
agreed, dear eclecticedwardian, although a message for Heidi regarding the planting of clover: I love clover and would plant fields of it if I were able...however if your child plays in the clover be aware that native bumblebees (who rarely sting as they have not hive to protect) are fond of clover. Also, although I don't think faux lawn is an appealing alternative, each person certainly has the right to alter their own landscape...and in an ecological sense it is preferable to a "real" lawn...no water, no pesticides...
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 8:33AM
eclecticedwardian
Having read through all the comments, the issue here isn't really grass, it is the concept of the "perfect" lawn which after WWII became a "necessity" because of suburban housing developments and the belief that conformity is necessary in those settings (along with the 50s belief in "better living through chemistry"). Well it is 2014 and those ideas need to be discarded in the face of climate change and the urgent need to support biodiversity. Yes there are certain uses for lawn, but not in every yard and not as such an emphasis. I do still have some grass, but it does OK with just mowing--fertilizer run off can be as toxic as any weed-killer. The thing I find the most disturbing is the conformity issue ("what will the neighbors say?") and the linkage of some sort of "goodness and virtue" and real estate value to those dumping chemicals on monoculture turf grass. Neither good or virtuous and not educated about nature. Artificial turf is certainly no better in concept--does nothing to support wildlife. Both are very misplaced priorities (and also lack of imagination and knowledge of other options). If you live in an area where grass does not grow--don't grow it--Nature is telling you something--Listen.
4 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 8:38AM
jerimcclure
I've got three dogs, field dogs, They don't know how to walk or go around a flower bed. They have a routine path they run when let out the back door. We have ever increasing areas of mud. Also we've had dogs sense we moved into our home 24 years ago. These three are the first, however, to be so very hard on the lawn. SO, I'd like a combination of real and artificial grass in the back yard. We'd section off the two areas with invisable fence. My choice of grass is up to me both are readily available now. I have to impliment my plan.

With increasing drought conditions in the mid-west, every where for that matter I am concerned about water use. In summer when we reach water restriction levels I do stop watering the grass all together watering only the trees. Grass is in fact a weed if it dies I'll replant or replant with a ground cover which holds up better than grass and once established needs less water. I fertilize with natural composted fertilizer and aerate once a year.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 10:23AM
kskarrasch
We live on a farm which is very dusty. My husband would like to put artificial grass just around the house, which at first I wasn't at all in favour of. However, the dogs would be fenced out and I wouldn't have to put up with dust all through the house anymore as well as cut grass blowing in - the kids would be free of prickles in the lawn and certainly, as we are in a drought, the lawn would look green (for a change).
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 8:24PM
eclecticedwardian
Dogs and grass--as a starting point admit that the grass is for you, not the dogs. Which is OK to a point, tracking dirt (or gravel) is an issue. But again, the dog doesn't really care so much about grass per se. There are other solutions. The ancient Pharaoh Hound and Basenji, not to mention Arctic dogs like the Husky don't really have grass as their native environment. I speak as a dog lover! And I might add, the same goes for kids. Are kids and dogs happy in dirt? Yeah, they are. Did I ever, EVER, play on my Dad's perfect lawn--no. Did I play like crazy in the open fields that happened to border on a National Guard site, complete with pre-dug fox holes--you bet!!!
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 8:42PM
Darla Scheuerman
We have a lovely rental home. We have yet to find tenants that will do anything beside let the yard die, with a Sprinkler system installed and a lawn mower provided, still dead grass every year. I see plastic grass in our future.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 9:41PM
carmardel
It really is nice to see so many people concerned about the environment and our precious resources. There comes a point when reality has to set in and depending on your location and circumstances artificial or alternatives to regular turf may be the right way to go.
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 9:47PM
pamcordes
As a senior I am now looking at turning most of my lawn into planted areas with a center walkway. Grass is too much work, not good for the environment, and too-expensive to hire mow and blow guys who insist on using ride on mowers that transport weeds and crabgrass from their commercial customers. I am planning lavender pathways with flowering shrubs in the background. Pam Cordes
3 Likes   May 16, 2014 at 8:29AM
dfromthebdot
While the previous posters have some very nice pics, grass in Arizona just looks strange. If your climate doesn't allow for real grass, you should go native. Native plants, stepping stone pathways, rocks, etc.
1 Like   May 16, 2014 at 8:38AM
deemac Real Estate Services
I finally installed artificial grass after 10 years of trying to grow grass and maintain it on a 1 acre parcel. The quality of the grass products has really evolved and looks real! Even with some dead looking grass mixed in. It is plush and my dog loves it! Easy to install, no maintanence, no water.............I recommend it to everyone. You get what you pay for so look to pay around $2.50 sq. ft. for a nice quality product (in California). We have mixed in the grass with borders, decorative rock, plants, palms, trees, retaining walls, etc. Makes for a beautiful yard!
0 Likes   May 16, 2014 at 9:46AM
sws1967
Artificial is fine in areas of intense heat and sun....until you step on it and fry your feet! Of course, you can water it to cool it down, but then you're watering fake turf. It also matters whether or not you enjoy growing your own grass and plants.
I chose real, but it's only about 2000 sq ft.
0 Likes   May 16, 2014 at 10:15AM
Rachelle Borbely
Growing up in Ohio I never would have imagined myself with an artificial yard- Ever...But a move to Nevada changed that. I can't imagine wasting water to have real grass- yet I needed the green...
1 Like   May 16, 2014 at 7:42PM
Freespirit Tanner
Does anyone know If creeping thyme (or any other thyme) is good for kids to play on? Looking to redo our backyard without any grass as my husband is allergic to it. We are also concerned about water conservation as we live in S CA. But we also want a spot for grandkids to go out and play. Frankly, artificial is looking mighty appealing!
0 Likes   May 17, 2014 at 12:21AM
taytay_l0ve
I'm not sure about fake grass maybe you should try different textures like sand or rocks etc. Good Luck!
1 Like   May 17, 2014 at 12:25AM
Sigrid
I have a creeping thyme that seems pretty resistant to everything, including light foot traffic. In bloom, it is covered with bees and wasps. I was weeding it and got stung multiple times. I had a wasp caught in my shirt and I don't know if it was stinging like crazy because it was stuck or if other insects had stung me. It took over a week for the pain, swelling and itching to be gone.

So, you might want to mow or weed-whack any thyme when it's about to bloom. What is your husband allergic to? The leaves or the flowers of grass? Because if it's the latter, you might be able to plant a smaller area of grass, surrounded by something else, like thyme, which can take the occasional footstep, but maybe not long and energetic playing.

Sedges are not grasses, but they have edges, and you should stroke any you are planning on using for softness.

Check out what others around you use.
0 Likes   May 17, 2014 at 4:59AM
smileysue
We used synthetic turf at 3 different homes we owned in the dry southwest (NM & CA). They all look very natural-- no one knows they are artificial when looking at them. I highly recommend them unless you have babies/kids you want to play on it in the summer, as they can get pretty hot against bare skin (can burn). Otherwise, all positives! In our so. CA lawn, it not only relieved us of high use of water, fertilizer, weed preventer, and mowing, it also eliminated a terrible recurrent gopher problem we had on our former lawn.
1 Like   May 18, 2014 at 8:55PM
Freespirit Tanner
Thank you, Sigrid, My husband is allergic to the leaves so anytime the gardeners mow grass the house has to be shut up for a couple of days. However, this is still better than bee/wasp stings!
0 Likes   May 18, 2014 at 9:14PM
Diana Art
I know that some people feel almost religious about their yards and real grass, but as long as it looks great and feels soft under your bear feet, who cares! I live in an apartment but I've known people who had replaced their grass with cement before because it was terrible on their water bill! There are some locations that grass will never survive but... It's beautiful when it's great. So I say Yes to fake grass! It's a great option and will save you money in the long wrong with maintenance and water. And you can continue growing real plants around it still.
1 Like   May 18, 2014 at 10:19PM
joykulman
I vote other! No grass, but native plants. They don't guzzle water and they don't have to be mowed... Plus they are adapted to local soil and pests so they don't need fertilization or pesticides!
0 Likes   May 18, 2014 at 10:31PM
amsamsams
A patch (not a lawn) of artificial turf in the desert is a refreshing visual "fix" for snowbirds seeking relief from the view of sand, sand and more sand AND a functional area for the dog to pee.
1 Like   May 19, 2014 at 7:50AM
shilpis
I love nature so i would prefer natural grass.I love plants, flowers,greenary. flowers can change your entire mood.Being outside in a natural environment can improve memory performance and attention span by twenty percent. Studies have shown that people who spend more time around plants are much more likely to try and help others, and often have more advanced social relationships. So my vote goes to natural grass.
1 Like   May 21, 2014 at 11:59AM
sweetestpony
I love real grass so much more. It is so much better than any old fake grass.If someone came to your house and asked you how you kept your grass so green it would be really embarrassing to say "oh that's fake grass"
1 Like   July 15, 2014 at 8:20PM
sunnie2day
Sweetestpony, I agree and don't. My husband and I were in a bargain centre a few days ago (owners buy end lots, etc, for resale in their shop) and they had a huge roll of faux turf - which was amazingly good! If bargain faux turf is that good, the better quality stuff must be so real it would 'fool a dog'.

I think there are places fake grass is appropriate - a holiday home, a stubborn patch in the home garden, or as a temporary fix during a reno or do-over where the project is going to take quite a while.

The stuff we saw the other day looked so good my husband is considering it for our near postage stamp sized front garden instead of the gravel (think small rocks, lol) out there just now. The gravel is UGLY, maintaining it now the 20+yo landscape barrier is failing is becoming harder and harder, and last weekend we caught a couple of younger teens throwing rocks at each other - rocks that clearly came from the bed along the currently gate-less front drive. Yes, we're putting up a gate there but that's another month down the reno-road.

So that faux grass is looking better and better - it's thick enough that it would act as a weed barrier, too!
2 Likes   July 16, 2014 at 8:30AM
Tony McIntyre
We currently have real grass but it's a pain with the dogs. Are house is for sale, so we will be defiantly be getting artificial
0 Likes   July 16, 2014 at 11:03AM
FurreverYours
Since California is facing one of the most severe droughts on record, I am inclined to say artificial grass. However, I have a feeling my dog would vote the other way. #BeSeenBeSafe
0 Likes   September 25, 2014 at 12:05PM
bejel
I have my doubts about artificial grass, but I am considering for a small area of my backyard. One thing for sure: no real grass that needs tons of real water. We live in California, and things are getting ugly when it comes to water. I'm exploring the different types of artificial grass to find out which one is good (if any) for people and my dogs. Otherwise, my backyard will be a combination of bark, rocks, sand, etc.
0 Likes   October 25, 2014 at 7:59PM
opinions on painting EXTERIOR BRICK HOUSE
i have built a small country house,its time to paint!!...
Family Room Ideas
We are set to close on this house next week. We actually...
Help with hubbies surprises please!
I have been de-cluttering, rearranging and decorating...
How to position sofas? And what colour area rug??
Hello Houzz-ians, Just wondering if you guys got any...
Need design ideas to add "curb appeal" to exterior
Trying to come up with inexpensive & creative ways...