Large Tiles on Shower Floor
edie828
March 6, 2012 in Photo Questions
Absolutely stunning. We are thinking of using large format tiles on our walk-in shower floor. Our tile installer has cautioned against it because it's harder to create the proper drain slope. How did you overcome this? Aesthetically, I'd rather use the same size tiles in the entire shower rather than using a mosaic size on the floor as he suggests.
dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
Great question - we considered the slope of the floor carefully with respect to the larger format tiles and the solution was a linear drain (which is visible underneath the floating bench). The linear drain allows for a single slope shower floor and eliminates awkward diagonal tile cuts to a central drain. Whenever possible we try to conceal shower drains under a bench and not under foot. One other shower design element worth considering is to locate the shower controls in a position that allows them to be reached when standing outside of the shower thus letting you operate the shower without getting wet. Good luck with your project! dSPACE Studio www.dspacestudio.com
2 Likes   March 7, 2012 at 1:09PM
TanCalGal
This type of thoughtful planning ahead and wonderful ideas helps us understand why hiring an architect is absolutely worthwhile.
1 Like   March 8, 2012 at 1:46PM
Wow! I would have never noticed the drain. What a great idea.
1 Like   March 8, 2012 at 5:36PM
rbcola
Amen Emily. This is absolutely lovely! Complients to dSPACE Studio on your design and your willingness to educate. Thank you!
3 Likes   May 22, 2012 at 5:24AM
Mona Ives
Fantastic. I wish our plumbers and installers were half as smart as you :) I'd be weary of asking them to do anything out of the ordinary.
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 2:50PM
HI -- Plumbers and installers and tile setters always want to do the easy thing - so they can get it done and out the door to the next job. Sometime you can find a tile setter that is an artist at their job. Love the shower - just beautiful !
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 3:04PM
rbcola
I hear you on that thought about in/out the door. However, i must tell you I went to the discussion portion in questioning the pros/cons of wall mounted lavatory faucet and you can see for yourself - this person knows what he's doing. He's re-instated my desire to put in the wall mount. (FYI: "Plumbed Elegance".....knows and cares!!!
0 Likes   May 23, 2012 at 3:24PM
chany48
Does the linear drain have any slope to a drainage? If water stays in the slot, mold would grow... or it doesn't?
0 Likes   July 21, 2012 at 10:48AM
dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
Hi, great question. The linear drain has a slope inside to prevent standing water. Thanks for your question and good luck with your project.

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
0 Likes   July 21, 2012 at 11:12AM
chany48
Thank you!
0 Likes   July 21, 2012 at 11:18AM
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Wendy
Top views. Our favorite :)
We use true-to-life images to present our ideas to...
Vanguard development LA
Black granite floor and counter,yellow walls,help!
Just bought wonderful house but: as you can see, black...
hortonlo
deciding between a tv console and a 2 piece entertainment cabinet
I like both but have to decide. The big one has a finish...
jennyrenn11
Decorating Idea for Bedroom
Need advice on how to decorate area between bed and...
sharonsmi41