Large Tiles on Shower Floor
edie828March 6, 2012
Absolutely stunning. We are thinking of using large format tiles on our walk-in shower floor. Our tile installer has cautioned against it because it's harder to create the proper drain slope. How did you overcome this? Aesthetically, I'd rather use the same size tiles in the entire shower rather than using a mosaic size on the floor as he suggests.
dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
Great question - we considered the slope of the floor carefully with respect to the larger format tiles and the solution was a linear drain (which is visible underneath the floating bench). The linear drain allows for a single slope shower floor and eliminates awkward diagonal tile cuts to a central drain. Whenever possible we try to conceal shower drains under a bench and not under foot. One other shower design element worth considering is to locate the shower controls in a position that allows them to be reached when standing outside of the shower thus letting you operate the shower without getting wet. Good luck with your project! dSPACE Studio www.dspacestudio.com
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 1:09PM
TanCalGal
This type of thoughtful planning ahead and wonderful ideas helps us understand why hiring an architect is absolutely worthwhile.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 1:46PM
Wow! I would have never noticed the drain. What a great idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 5:36PM
rbcola
Amen Emily. This is absolutely lovely! Complients to dSPACE Studio on your design and your willingness to educate. Thank you!
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:24AM
Mona Ives
Fantastic. I wish our plumbers and installers were half as smart as you :) I'd be weary of asking them to do anything out of the ordinary.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:50PM
HI -- Plumbers and installers and tile setters always want to do the easy thing - so they can get it done and out the door to the next job. Sometime you can find a tile setter that is an artist at their job. Love the shower - just beautiful !
    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 3:04PM
rbcola
I hear you on that thought about in/out the door. However, i must tell you I went to the discussion portion in questioning the pros/cons of wall mounted lavatory faucet and you can see for yourself - this person knows what he's doing. He's re-instated my desire to put in the wall mount. (FYI: "Plumbed Elegance".....knows and cares!!!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 3:24PM
chany48
Does the linear drain have any slope to a drainage? If water stays in the slot, mold would grow... or it doesn't?
    Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:48AM
dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
Hi, great question. The linear drain has a slope inside to prevent standing water. Thanks for your question and good luck with your project.

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
    Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 11:12AM
chany48
Thank you!
    Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 11:18AM
Floor tile for curbless shower? 7" hex floor with 4x16 subway on walls
After finally purchasing large matte hexagon tiles...
theotherfancy
Fairly large shower in master bathroom, need help!!!
Like some suggestions in placing porcelain tile in...
nancy4megogo
What is the tile? Can it be used for floor and shower?
Can the tile be used throughout the bathroom, including...
forrestlynn
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Tired and Dark Woodwork; I'm stumped on what to do
I have brown woodwork in my house and we want to do...
kltro
Repurpose Antique Tin Ceiling Tiles
We just closed on another oldie but goodie 1920's home...
Joel Marshall
What's missing?
I'm turning an extra bedroom into a gym/workout room....
Scott D.
Great Room Lacks Some Style
I'd so appreciate some ideas to fit my Mediterranean/Transitional...
lamujerdegary