Dining Room in Entry Area
jlcase04
May 7, 2014 in Design Dilemma
The entry to my home is between the living room and dining room, on the floor plans. However, the living room is too small for my furniture but is just right for my dining room set, so it became the formal dining room. The dining room is now a den, that is separated from the entry way and the new "dining room": with two knee walls. The great room is now the living room, which works perfectly. My problem is that there is nothing that defines the dining "room". No walls, columns etc. And it includes the stairway to the 2nd floor...so it can't really be walled off anyway. There is really not enough floor space to put up columns, as it would take away from expanding the dining room table for large get togethers. The way I have it set up there is a straight "hall" where you can walk right past the dining room and the den to the rear of the house so the furniture doesn't sit in the way It looks okay....but not great. I haven't really decorated it because I'm not sure I've made the right move here.
Do you have any photos of dining rooms that are in close proximity to the entry doorway?
I tried to create an entry hall by adding an area rug, antique chest and lamp along one of the knee walls. But the way the door swings (against the knee wall side), you actually walk right into the dining area. Any help for inspiring me to make this decision work? Thanks, jlcase04
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgfuqua
really need a picture.
May 7, 2014 at 11:38PM