Pulling my hair out!!! LOL. Please help with our cozy family room
marcnlisy
Ok…First….the Room is a mess! This has been the playroom off the kitchen and I am starting to convert it to a small family room/arts and crafts room for my 3 kiddos and my hubby and I to enjoy as well. THis room opens to the backyard as well as garage so this wall and the one behind it are truly the only walls. So don't mind all the stuff. I built this Ikea Ektorp Sofa last night (which I love) but I am having a hard time placing it. My goal is to have it focus on the fireplace because a TV is going to replace that mirror. This room opens to the kitchen. That is where I am taking the picture.
So my questions are…
1)Which way should the L go?
2)And my second question or statement is….Isn't this coffee table too big for this space?? It was a great garage sale find….but its just too big. HELP. Should i find a smaller rectangular? circle?
3) Is that Pallet of pictures TOO heavy on that wall? I thought of putting it behind the sofa and then putting a big round mirror on this wall that it is currently on.

I APPRECIATE your feedback!!
tamhum
First question - does the "L" need to stay on that side of the sofa? Probably, huh?
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 6:44AM
liebenswert
I also have a quirky couch and room setup. In your lovely abode, I would turn the couch facing incoming traffic. Back to the wall depending on its size. Remove the table all together, and get you some folding tables to use when needed. The picture isn't the problem, its every thing else that's making the room cluttered. The fireplace will continue the L shape and make it a C or U depends on how you look at things :p There's not a TV in the pic so I don't think you're mandated to position the couch either way. Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 6:48AM
Warner Decor
HI! I think that you are off to a great start! I would move the pallet pictures to simplify the area, and get a mirror. Here are a few ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/cki-rustica-wall-mirror/
http://deciture.com/manning-white-round-mirror/
http://deciture.com/serenity-wall-mirror/

Hope this helps you!
0 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 7:51AM
marcnlisy
Liebenswert. Thank u. I have 3 little ones and a tv will be great here and we plan to put in up on the mantel real soon. Opening te couch to oncoming traffic would be a great idea but then you would be watching tv to the side... That's my dilema
1 Like   May 8, 2014 at 8:16AM
marcnlisy
Tamhum. The beauty of the ikea sofa is that the L can go wherever:-) I did have it on the opposite wall but then it was too much with the brick and Chase almost touching
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 8:17AM
marcnlisy
Warner Decor. Love the ideas!!! What about the coffee table I have now? Is it too big for this space? Would smaller rectangle be better?
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 8:22AM
Warner Decor
I think that a smaller table would work better. Here are a few options: http://deciture.com/the-classy-wood-leather-coffee-table/

You could also do something like this (smaller) instead:
http://deciture.com/the-sleek-wood-leather-end-table/
0 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 8:31AM
Patricia Colwell
Why not hang the T>V. on wall where pics are now and position sofa facing that wall with chaise on other side if possible. That way you could hang T.V. at better height. Clear all the clutter off the mantle and hang pictures on wall above play set. Unless that play kitchen gets used everyday I would remove it from the space put in a long narrow set of cabinets with a small overhang to place small chairs and put all that stuff away at the end of the day so you have a nice adults space. The less clutter the bigger this room will feel. As for the table I think it is too big so would go with something very simple and much smaller rectangle maybe the Lack.
2 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 9:46AM
marcnlisy
So for now I moved the coffee table and put the chase on the other side
1 Like   May 8, 2014 at 10:18AM
marcnlisy
I still have their little art table and kitchen tucked back in here….so there isn't much room to move things around. its not our main family room…its a second little cozy room.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 10:20AM
marcnlisy
I placed the coffee table in our main room. It was a great Garage Sale find!
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 10:24AM
Garuda Woven Art Rugs
What if you did as Patricia C. suggested and hang the TV where the pallet of pictures is, and turn the couch (with the L on the left side) facing that wall? Would that be blocking the entrance to the room from the patio doors too much? I'm not a big fan of TVs over the fireplace, personally. To me, it seems distracting to being trying to look at a fire flickering and a TV flickering a the same time! P.S. I do like the coffee table in the main room.
0 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 10:30AM
marcnlisy
Garuda. Thank you! I know. Its such an odd shaped room. It opens to the garage…the kitchen and the hall and the backyard leaving it really only that main wall. I could try that. I have a feeling that it would block the entrances but its worth a try.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 10:39AM
marcnlisy
Patricia. This is the kids space…..but I am updating it to incorporate mom and dad too! They always love to be with us (and vice versa) but they end up destroying our main living room. Since this is kind of in its own little corner of the house I was trying to make it functional for them and us. I have a 1, 5, and 6 year old. The art table gets used daily. My 1 year old has taken interest in the kitchen but i thought of downsizing it and putting it in the girls room. just not sure yet.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 10:42AM
marcnlisy
This is a panorama of the room with the sofa like this (except putting a TV on that Pallet wall)
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:07AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
It's not easy making a room work for kids and adults - in your case I find the collage/artwork dominates the entire space. I imagine this has special meaning/function for your family but wonder if it could be relocated? Even on the wall facing the doors would be better and return the couch to that wall. The back of your slipcovered couch is not the best thing to see when you enter this room. And finally, an area rug always pulls together a space that needs a bit of help. Even if this rooms never looks as pulled together as you might like (or see on Houzz) it's a happy family room that the children can live in and enjoy - and that's the most important thing. Good luck from Montreal!
1 Like   May 8, 2014 at 11:16AM
marcnlisy
from another angle
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:16AM
marcnlisy
And side panorama
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:20AM
marcnlisy
Rebecca. I will move that pallet of pictures to the garage wall regardless. But this is a kids family room…not our main one. I don't hang there things there:) Part of me starts decorating like its just for me…but then again this little space is for them and us. So i am trying to make it function so they are in here more instead of our main room. If i face the sofa out…there is no TV option.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:21AM
marcnlisy
I do agree about the back not being pretty though…just not sure!!! ahhhh lol
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:31AM
Garuda Woven Art Rugs
Thx for the picture of the couch turned facing the wall with the photo pallet. I could live with that if it were my house. :-) But I also like the way the back of the couch separates the kid's kitchen and play area when the it's turned the other way...so either one. I guess it will come down to where you end up putting the TV.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 11:46AM
marcnlisy
Garuda. I was pleasantly surprised by this:) It actually looks pretty. SO….if it were like this then I would move that pallet to the wall above the kids area….and place the TV on this wall. My con about this is that you see the back of the sofa when you walk in. Otherwise i do like how its open to the kids too. If I did it side ways I would still move that pallet….and then on that big wall I would put something like this round mirror to break up the straight lines. THen I would put the TV over the fireplace (flat screen on the wall). Thoughts?
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 12:00PM
Garuda Woven Art Rugs
Yes, I think moving the pallet to the other wall will be a big help. I'm not particularly bothered by seeing the backside of the couch. It's a little wrinkled, but that could be steamed out. I wonder if there is enough space along the backside of the couch for a tall narrow table or cabinet? Or it could be an art canvas for the kids! Good luck and keep us posted.
0 Likes   Thanked by marcnlisy    May 8, 2014 at 1:44PM
Patricia Colwell
I like the sofa there a lot better, the cover being a bit wrinkled is part of a slipcover. Now just put the T.V. on that wall and center of it eye level when you are sitting. I think the kids need this space but it is nice if the stuff can disappear and it helps them learn to tidy up at the end of the day, not a bad habit. As for the desk area the item I was mentioning is like a desk but with storage and if that kitchen can fit in a bedroom that would be perfect.
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 5:53PM
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Need help laying out my family room, I'm clueless! Please help
My family room in a bit small and I don't know what...
Please help me figure out how to finish my family room
We have been working on putting up wainscoting in our...
Need help making my family room nice and cozy
My family room is NOT working for my family of 5. ...
what happened to oil rubbed bronze?
Don't get me wrong I am very happy about it, but I...
How would you finish off a herringbone wall that doesn't go to ceiling
In a couple of days my tiler is set to start in my...
Help with curtains needed!
I have a small bedroom in my house which is designated...
sheila.wallis2@gmail.com
I'm trying to find " Ikea" brown or blue rugs. they...