HELP! I need a backsplash...
vdion
I would like to do black subway tiles however everywhere I turn, people are making me second guess that decision. Please give me your thoughts/suggestions, thanks : ) the room colour is BM sag harbour grey (the kitchen is open to the eating area and family room) and the cupboards are BM jute
Lumar Interiors
Your counters look beautiful..A black backsplash would just look too heavy and take away from the counters. I would blend the backsplash with the cupboards. This will give the room more height and not chop it. Good luck.
May 8, 2014 at 6:07PM        Thanked by vdion
I would NOT do black, but I would do subway tiles in the cream or white ;)
May 8, 2014 at 6:11PM        Thanked by vdion
flsue1
I have black subway tiles for my backsplash, (love them), however I agree that they would do nothing to enhance your beautiful granite. Perhaps a cream glass tile with a few metallic inserts? Think light and contrast.
May 9, 2014 at 5:04AM        Thanked by vdion
collettec
I think it could look good - you have a lot of light cabinetry, it might be a nice contrast. I wouldn't go dark black though, perhaps something more of a charcoal or the same color as the darker color in the countertop. Here's an example of the look with the darker backsplash:

May 9, 2014 at 5:59AM        Thanked by vdion
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
Have you thought about a plain glass backsplash?

It gives a nice clean look and it goes with everything. However please make sure that it is tempered and that there is a buffer where the stove occurs. Cannot see from the photo if the stove is located in the area that you require the back splash

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 9, 2014 at 6:49AM        Thanked by vdion
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think your kitchen is really beautiful - love the granite your chose from your counters. I'm going to go against the general opinion on this and say I would go BLACK WITH CREAM for the backsplash. Do not get small tiles (too many grout lines and too busy) but look for larger linear tiles. I think it will actually allow complement your counters but they will still be the wow factor in the kitchen and finished look will be smart and dramatic. It won't compete with the black appliances and the whole space will feel bigger as a result. The safer route is to match the backsplash to your cabinets (without contrasting grout) but I would go for drama and go black! Here's an example of black backsplash with black counters but I think yours will be even more effective in a different way. Good luck from Montreal!
May 9, 2014 at 6:58AM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
Thanks so much for the input everyone, much appreciated! collettec, that is the exact kitchen that I used as my inspiration :) Rebecca Mitchell interiors & Boutique, I was thinking the cream grout as well, do you think the contrasting lines of the backsplash would look too busy with the already busy granite?
May 9, 2014 at 8:36AM   
vdion
sorry, another question Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique, what size tiles would you suggest?
May 9, 2014 at 8:39AM   
wantsideas
I think black subway tiles would be too much black in the room, especially with the black appliances, and could possibly take away from your counters. Do you have a sample of the granite and paint of the cabinets? If so take them to the tile store and play around with different things to see what is most appealing to you. It might be that black is still your favorite but I'd look at other options first. I like flsue1's idea of a cream with a small amount of metallic inserts.
May 9, 2014 at 8:54AM        Thanked by vdion
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Just keep in mind re tiles that the smaller they are the more grout lines there will be so it might appear busy. Get longer subway tiles maybe 4x16 (instead of 3x5).
May 9, 2014 at 11:24AM        Thanked by vdion
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Or you could go with black tiles and charcoal/black grout. I've done this before as well and like it a lot.
May 9, 2014 at 11:30AM        Thanked by vdion
mhteb
You could get a roll of black paper and tape it where the backsplash will go and live with it for a few days before making a decision. You could even paint in grout lines. It sounds like a lot of work, but considering the cost involved you need to know you'll love it. I love the pictures above, but you can't get a "feel" from a picture.
May 9, 2014 at 12:12PM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
Mhteb, that is exactly what I'm doing, got some black construction paper, now gotta put some "grout" lines...
May 9, 2014 at 1:09PM     
flsue1
Can you do black on one section, cream on the other?
May 9, 2014 at 1:53PM      Thanked by vdion
mhteb
vdion, let us know how that works for you.
May 9, 2014 at 2:26PM      Thanked by vdion
vdion
Ok, so here's a pic of my experiment. The "grout" on the right is white ( didn't have a cream crayon)' and the grout on the right, beside the white "backsplash" is grey....let me know your thoughts on both the grout and the backsplash colours, thanks : )
May 9, 2014 at 4:05PM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think I would go black (not charcoal grey) and now that I see this definitely do a black grout too.
May 9, 2014 at 4:07PM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
Here's another pic farther back
May 9, 2014 at 4:07PM   
collettec
I agree with Rebecca. Do you like it?
May 9, 2014 at 4:31PM        Thanked by vdion
chrisspencer
Yes black grout
May 9, 2014 at 4:37PM        Thanked by vdion
kranno
How about black, white, and metallic pencil tiles set vertically as attached?
May 9, 2014 at 4:45PM      Thanked by vdion
vdion
Yes, I do like it...now the question is matte or glossy tiles? And thanks for the input on grout!
May 9, 2014 at 4:47PM   
vdion
Kranno, I feel like that look would be too busy and would fight with the counters....any other thoughts on that?
May 9, 2014 at 4:50PM   
collettec
I would do glossy.
May 9, 2014 at 4:52PM        Thanked by vdion
mhteb
The pencil tile is beautiful, but I agree too busy for your counters. You're really on top of this. As to matte or glossy, you could tape a piece of picture glass over it. I hope you keep it up a few days before making a decision.
May 9, 2014 at 6:37PM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
Brilliant idea mhteb, I'm all over it!
May 9, 2014 at 6:40PM     
Design Elements
I am a huge fan of subway tiles (especially black), but I agree that this may look to "heavy". Maybe try to find a subway tile that will match the white/cream that is in the counter tops. Subway tiles come in SO many different colors!
May 9, 2014 at 6:45PM        Thanked by vdion
adivra
That's going to be beautiful regardless of grout color. (I'm partial to glossy.)
May 9, 2014 at 6:46PM        Thanked by vdion
jergens1211
Plain subway tiles,you don't want to detract from that gorgeous counter
May 9, 2014 at 6:59PM        Thanked by vdion
myfanwyb
We have similar granite and used 16x 4 glass tiles with a thin line pattern. They are a Color between taupe and grey and look brilliant in a stacked pattern.
May 9, 2014 at 9:00PM        Thanked by vdion
Susan Edwards
I don't care for the look of the black tiles.. I think they look too heavy next to your counters. In your inspiration picture that collettec posted, the counters are a uniform quartz, so the dark tile backsplash does not detract from the overall look. But if you do go with the black tiles, I would definitely agree that darker grout would look best. As mhteb said, keep it up for a few days or a week to be sure it's something you will be happy with a year from now. Best of luck!
May 9, 2014 at 9:22PM        Thanked by vdion
flsue1
I'm still for glass tiles in a cream color, the black on black is very heavy...keep your options open, shop around. Your focus should be on your beautiful granite, backsplash should accessorize the granite, not match. The taupe tile with line pattern sounds interesting.
May 10, 2014 at 4:32AM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
for those of you who expressed that the grout should be black, can you tell me why you don't think the cream grout will work? thanks in advance : )
May 12, 2014 at 1:20PM   
Royal Decor Steel
We have Mirror/Sandblast/Brushed Black Stainless steel Tiles and also sheets. The good things about our tiles is the installation. All our tiles are peel and stick, so you can save your time and materials.
May 12, 2014 at 1:24PM        Thanked by vdion
ísARK Studio
Hi Vdion,
I think one of the reasons people not been as fond of the cream grout is that it may draw the eye to it over the countertop. Light grout also stains very easily. One unattended pot of marinara sauce and you have pink grout. However, you have to make a decision that you think will suit your family.

I personally would recommend a back-painted solid glass backsplash. You have such a lovely countertop (nice movement) and I think that a splash of color would help compliment without detracting. A big bonus is there are very few seams in a back-painted glass installation. We’ve been steadily trying to move our clients away from grout in kitchens to help keep them sanitary and easier to maintain. It can often be cheaper than a tile backsplash as well.

However, you seem very fond of the cream grout and black subways so I would say go with your gut if you feel very strongly about it. We can only give our professional opinions to our clients (after a great deal of time getting to know them) but ultimately they have to be happy in the spaces they are going to live in. You have to trust what you know about yourself and your family.
May 12, 2014 at 1:42PM        Thanked by vdion
collettec
This is just my opinion about the pros and cons - Pros for black grout - I think that there is not a great deal of space between the counter and the cabinets, so there is less room for repeat variations with the different color grout. The countertops are gorgeous and also with a large dominant pattern and it might look a bit busy and possibly compete with the countertops. Cons for black grout - the black with black grout will create more of a solid black block. Given that the countertop is variegated with large blocks of the black and cream, the solid black might connect more visually with the appliances and less with the countertop. Perhaps just a matter of choice.
May 12, 2014 at 1:53PM        Thanked by vdion
mhteb
So glad you're taking your time with a decision. You might put up more black paper to cover the entire backsplash area to make sure the light in the kitchen works. Also, check with the under cabinet lighting both off and on. Window covering both open and closed. What you love might make someone else shudder, but you're the one going to live with it. I see many beautiful rooms on Houzz that would drive me crazy to live with everyday. If you've picked out the tile you think you want to use, buy a few pieces and prop them up. Very few final results look the same in reality as they do in my head. Then, again, some people have a natural talent and imagination for it.
May 12, 2014 at 3:28PM        Thanked by vdion
Norma Sassone
I think white glass smaller tiles with intermittent grey might be lovely.
May 12, 2014 at 3:53PM        Thanked by vdion
Susan Edwards
My suggestion for dark grout if you choose dark tiles is to keep the look 'uncluttered'. There is a lot of pattern and movement in the counter tops you have selected and I suspect you spent a good deal of money on them. Make the most of them and celebrate them for the unique and stunning statement they're making in your kitchen and let them stand out. Putting dark tiles with cream grout lines next to those counters will detract from the attention they so richly deserve. Counters like you have make a bold statement and should be the focus. So if I were making the choices, i would be looking for something to offset them, not to blend in with or detract from them.
May 12, 2014 at 4:04PM        Thanked by vdion
Ms-sis
Your cabinetry with crown molding is beautiful! The light colors of the cabinets and walls create a visual lifting and enlarging of the space. The countertop is beautiful--fantastic movement. Please post the name of your granite.

I think the plus side of going lighter in backsplash is maximizing your light cabinets' height and making the granite the place your eye lands in the room--just like the perfect shoes or bag make the outfit in your wardrobe. Darker tiles create a belt in the middle of a light color scheme--the room looks shorter with a dark stripe cutting the wall space in the middle. Stand across the room and you will probably notice the beautiful counters reveal themselves as you approach the kitchen area but don't shout across a room like a dark backsplash would do. I love that revelation of beauty as you approach the feature of a room. I would let that be the wow factor and go lighter--either a colored glass or other large scale tile that blends with cabinets and/or wall color.
May 12, 2014 at 6:28PM        Thanked by vdion
flsue1
Well said, I agree completely...light backsplash would do so much more for the space. Black subway tiles would continue the black, not accessorize.
May 13, 2014 at 4:41AM        Thanked by vdion
juplips
I think using a lighter backsplash will make your granite even more special. it is lovely, let it shine.
May 13, 2014 at 10:54AM        Thanked by vdion
Sara Parker
Not feeling the black backsplash, especially not in matte. Looks burned out! I Iike Norma's white glass tile or something similar without much contrast. I hate the salt and pepper effect of lots of contrast in these small tiles.
May 13, 2014 at 11:27AM        Thanked by vdion
vdion
My worry with a light backsplash is that the dark appliances will stick out and not blend....thoughts? Thanks in advance : )

hzjpmp, the granite it called "matrix Nevada"...we love it too, thanks :)
May 13, 2014 at 12:04PM   
collettec
I still like the idea of the black tile and the black grout. You have a lot of cabinets, and tall ones, that are beige. I kind of think a beige tile would be too much beige. I think another color tile would compete with the great pattern in the granite and cut up the room too much with different colored cabinets, counter and flooring. The black tile would reference the counter and the appliances visually and it is connected to the black in the counter. I would try and find a tile color as close to the black in the counter as possible if you go with a black tile. Think it's a great idea with the paper modeling and you might want to try other colors to see what you think with other color backsplash options.
May 13, 2014 at 12:32PM   
isabel98
I like both. I think your granite already ties in your blk appliances so I wouldn't worry about that. I would use trash bags to try the blk glossy surface and be sure to put it over the entire backsplash. I did a black tile backsplash and sort of regret the darkness even though I have tons of natural light.
May 13, 2014 at 12:35PM     
Ms-sis
I agree with others that the black appliances blend with the countertops and a quiet backsplash that carries the tones of the cabinets up the wall would be my favorite.

I really enjoy the black and white or black and off white kitchen designs that are popular on the houzz kitchen pics. If you sort out most popular kitchens of all time with the drop down menu---there are a LOT of pics with this kind of dark granite/backsplash theme in that category.

A big trend---not that it matters that much until you are selling a home---is toward larger tiles---with less grout lines, and less contrast or intricate patterning. But black and white (off white) never really goes out of fashion.

Glass tiles of one shade in a larger size with simple placement, also seem to be on trend. And with the under cabinet lighting you have installed, glass tile would have that glow of expensive jewels across the room. I could see that being pretty in a soft color.

I looked at glass tiles when designing my kitchen; but it would have been over budget with the other upgrades. I went with an off white subway tile that coordinated with my walls and cabinets--and upgraded the granite to one with some movement---think I like yours better. When people walk into the great room they always say how spacious, yet cozy it feels. But when they approach the kitchen, they always say "I love this countertop" and start to touch it. It's nice to have that surprise when they take a seat in the kitchen.
May 13, 2014 at 7:01PM   
BELK Tile
I think black subway tile would be too much. I would pull a color out of the lighter swirl in the counter tops. Wether that is an off white or even a tan. Adding a black pencil liner (glass liner bar) could pull the black into the project as well.
May 13, 2014 at 7:16PM   
bears72
If you do black I'd use a back painted glass solid piece so there are no grout lines that fight with the granite
September 4, 2014 at 9:52PM     
Curt D'Onofrio
If it were not for Houzz i would not thought of this idea for a backsplash...
Colorful, and makes me happy. Okay...so i'm corny :)))
September 4, 2014 at 10:01PM   
jennateufel
I don't think the black would look bad but I think a mosaic style that pulls colors out of your countertop would work best. I have no opinion on grout colors
September 4, 2014 at 10:09PM   
Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
I didn't have time to read all of the suggestions, but did anyone suggest black mirror? I love black mirror and the wonderful effects it has. it would't fight with anything or take away from the gorgeous countertop you have. The pieces should be as big as you can get, as opposed to 12 x 12. Maybe 36 w x 18 h or whatever seems to fit.
September 4, 2014 at 10:28PM   
wardrobemenu

Is this what you have in mind?
September 5, 2014 at 10:09AM   
vdion
Yes, something similar, we wouldn't carry the granite up the wall, but a very similar look
September 5, 2014 at 1:08PM   
wardrobemenu
I think you should go for it even though it's doesn't seem to be the popular choice. I would go for white but if it's black that you want why go for white?
September 5, 2014 at 1:10PM     
Need Help with kitchen, I need new countertops, sink and backsplash
This is Old Victorian, and I need new countertops as...
Help! I Need help deciding layout of solid marble backsplash. Frame it
Hopefully this question is not way too confusing. I'm...
I need help picking out kitchen backsplash tile
Renovating condo on the beach. Small kitchen just got...
I need backsplash help!
I recently remodeled my kitchen and cannot decide on...
Frosted glass replacement ideas (interior walls)
We are refreshing our master bath and are presented...
bathroom on a budget help
Hi everyone, was just coming for a little advice. Being...
Who makes this fan?
Anyone know who makes this ceiling fan?
Please help me with this space.
I don't want to cover the window and the rad needs...
Pocket or folded doors and windows
I like the pocket door/windows, but find them extremely...