Need help with exterior siding and trim color
amackinney
Mind you the siding is primed the yellow that you currently see. After several visits to the house I'm sold on this happy yellow color and crisp white trim. BUT, my husband at this point wants the siding to be a soft beige and the trim a cream color. We have agreed that the front door, transom and sidelites will be stained a medium warm brown as in the color of honey. I need opinions on what you think........ My side or my husbands or even another choice. Thanks.....Our brains are fried from this building process.
House is in the mountains of North Carolina.
Deborah Vaders
I like both options but that yellow looks nice. Question how the environment fills out with trees and natural colors. Are there other houses near what color are they. Is it snowy winters or not snowy and just drab. Think about those things too. And if all else fails there are always tears to get him to sway to your yellow:-)
March 8, 2012 at 8:12am   
amackinney
I think I have worn him down and he'll say YES to yellow to end the discussion. LOL We're building in the mountains of North Carolina. It's beautifully wooded when the trees come out. At this point we're the only brave souls in the neighborhood so we're going to be that YELLOW house up on the hill. I've stopped looking at other colors because this is the one for me.
I've attached a view off the back deck. I'm so excited about being perched on top of a hill in my warm and inviting yellow house.
Thank you for your feedback Deborah:)
March 8, 2012 at 8:52am   
I LOVE the yellow! Something about yellow always says "happy" to me, and how could you not be with that view!
March 8, 2012 at 9:33am   
mmonika
Yellow!! Agaisnt the background, rich in greens and browns, natural scenary, the yellow is a subtle pop of color and contrast! Biege is going to completely blend in with the background, and your stone work and will look very bland and flat.
Especially if your going biege walls and cream trim ( same color just different tints) in sunlight will totally wash out and be even more bland. Your home shouldn't blend with its background that much.
March 8, 2012 at 12:48pm   
amackinney
Thank you ladies. I think we have a believer or someone who has given in. Regardless, yellow and white it is.
March 8, 2012 at 6:24pm     
katesink
One of the best things about yellow is that landscaping is easy. You can plant any color flowers or trees and they will not clash. Beautiful home, good luck.
March 11, 2012 at 6:22am   
meboro
I really like the color. I am concidering this for a cottage in Northern MI. Could you tell me about the siding, color, manufacturer, Fiber board/ What is the make and color of the windows? What is the color of the roof. how about the door manufaturer. Thank you.
March 11, 2012 at 7:46am   
amackinney
Meboro - The siding is Hardi Board Cedarmill. The board and batten is primed (came that way from the manufacture) a slightly yellower color then the clapboard. I need to take a leftover piece and go to Sherwinn Williams to match the lighter color.The windows are Anderson A Series, color: redrock with 7/8" full divided light grill type, 2 over 2 panes.
The roof is by IKO collection: Cambridge Architectural Shingle in Weathered Wood.
The front door is made by Thermatru, Fiber Classic collection which is fiberglass but with a grain so that you can even stain it and it takes on the look of wood. Plus the door will stay true to the opening as opposed to a wood door that will expand and contract according to the weather.
Hope this all helps:)
March 11, 2012 at 8:36am   
meboro
Thank you so much. You and I have the same taste. I would love to have you post more photos as you progress.. Interior too!
March 11, 2012 at 8:45am   
amackinney
I just looked at your ideabooks. I could've been in my own with what you have saved. I have to have around 300 pics. You can never have enough as you progress because you can't go back if you missed something. The front porch will really take on character once the stone is finished under the windows and the white square post columns are installed. Garage doors - I have champagne taste but a beer budget. Yuo and I have the same wish list........ Will keep you posted.
March 11, 2012 at 9:19am   
meboro
Ty I think you are my new best freind. We are renovating an exciting cottage. So it limits us. I also have expensive taste and a beer budjet. I knew you were adding stone. I am thinking of doing the more traditionsal fieldstone which is more local to MI. I also need new garage doors. We have a three car detached but it is seen as you drive up the driveway. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a bad speller and typist.
March 11, 2012 at 10:30am   
Matt
I would say you win. Beige would be so blah. I just came back from Nova Scotia and the bright and beautiful house colors were wonderful, especially in winter.
March 11, 2012 at 11:00am   
bepsf
Nobody ever said "I've always wanted a Beige cottage up on a hill" - Yellow was a good choice.
March 11, 2012 at 12:12pm   
amackinney
Bepsf - I guess your comment says it all. I knew all along yellow was the right choice - someone else in this project needed a little outside convincing.
Matt5005 - On a cold winter day my yellow will make me happy as the wind is whipping around the mountain.
I've added a picture of the long side of the house. A lot of yellow going on but it looks so clean. I'm glad we went with the board and batten instead of clapboard on this side.
March 11, 2012 at 1:22pm   
meboro
I also like the board and batten. I went to the website. If you could give me more specifics it would be greatly appreciated. There were many choices. Color, only one yellow. I wa s aslo thinking shake.
March 11, 2012 at 2:50pm   
meboro
My husband is also against the yellow. He wants green.
March 11, 2012 at 2:53pm   
chev37
Meboro... that is why husbands have wives!!! and their opinions! I personally Love the yellow and white trim. It will make it a wonderful site..the yellow house on the hill!
March 11, 2012 at 4:31pm   
amackinney
meboro- Yes, my husband wanted beige and now we have yellow. LOL
Here's my e-mail address: amackinney@aol.com I have more pics if your interested.

Thank you everyone for your input.
March 11, 2012 at 6:48pm   
gsnycon
Please consider why you want to live in the mountains of WNC. So many people come because they love the gorgeous mountains. Then, they clear a gouge into the side or top of a mountain and put up a yellow or white house--which of course, ruins the view for everyone else. Someone else is looking at your house, either from another hill or from below. Try to blend in. We don't love the mountains because of the yellow houses we see built on them.
March 12, 2012 at 12:43pm        Thanked by amackinney
amackinney
gimgee - We wanted to move to WNC because of the people, the lifestyle, neighbor helping neighbor. And did we give up on that dream when one of our neighbors broke into our house 2x and stripped all the rough wiring for the copper. No, we made a point to seek out the person who saw the vandals and personally thanked him for looking out for our property. First you should point a finger at the Developer that bought the property but they also brought work to the community. We only bought what was for sale and brought more work to a small community of people struggling in these hard times. So yellow or white house doesn't matter. We just want to be a part of a close knit town and look out for our neighbors as they have already done for us without even knowing us.
March 12, 2012 at 12:56pm   
chev37
amac...... tush-ay. I am sure that the people in your community will welcome you as a neighbor not matter the color of your houses skin! gimgee you should be ashamed of yourself for your unkindly manners. I would be proud to have good neighbors move in across the way.. I would holler ... hi d ho neighbor and make sure I showed up with warm welcomes! good luck with your gorgeous home.. hope you add more pictures of the progress. A friend .. on the next hill in oHIo
March 12, 2012 at 3:32pm   
Matt
This is a bit overboard but it certainly stuck in my head. It's a brand new house in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.
March 12, 2012 at 3:40pm     
Matt
Here is a whole church in yellow. Comeauville, Nova Scotia
March 12, 2012 at 3:44pm   
amackinney
Matt505 - the pic of the house comes out like an olive green. Not my happy yellow. But, the church certainly is in the yellow family - a bit on the paler side.
Chevy37 - thank you the friend on the hill on Ohio.
March 12, 2012 at 4:49pm     
cenapple
You must be using James Hardie siding. We are bldg also in TN and our siding is bright yellow like yours. We are using a combination of Hardie siding, shake and staked stone. We are going with PPG Oyster Shell & Stoney Fields, they go great with our stone. Best of luck to you.
March 15, 2012 at 8:54pm   
joce
Wow. Beautiful home. I love that colour. I have a green roof (semi-regret putting it) & currently our house is white (old dutch colonial) that yellow is awesome & I think it would look nice. (@matt5005 I'm from NS too!)
March 16, 2012 at 4:58am   
amackinney
Cenapple - The Hardi Plank is a brighter yellow then I can deal with. It's only on the back side of the house so it doesn't scream at me as we drive up. But, the board and batten is a paler and calmer yellow. Have a sample of the siding now so off to the paint store for a more accurate color match. Your colors sound like what my husband would like. I can't let him out of my sight til we buy the paint. He's been hanging out at the site alone and the subs are swaying him back to his beigy color.
March 16, 2012 at 2:59pm   
amackinney
Well, the subs have all left and now the interior painting begins. In order to not break the bank anymore we opted to have the exterior painted and we would do room by room of the inside. Love, love, love the house.
May 25, 2012 at 6:49pm   
chev37
I too love your home! I hope you have many happy, healthy years building many memories to go along with your gorgeous yellow house on the hill.
May 26, 2012 at 2:29am   
anitajoyce
Love the yellow on the house. I would paint the door in the red tone thats on the windows.
September 19, 2012 at 5:59pm   
amackinney
anitajoyce - went with a cherry stain. Not exactly what I wanted but it's a fiberglass door and doesn't really take stain like wood and not as many choices.
September 19, 2012 at 6:10pm   
anitajoyce
Close enough! Love the door. Good choice of door color!
September 19, 2012 at 6:56pm   
amackinney
Thank you. And thank you everyone for your input. Not only does HOUZZ.com have great pics and ideas but the HOUZZERS have great comments!
September 20, 2012 at 5:46am   
antje121
What a fabulous house! Love it. We have just decided on the same colour for our new house. Our windows are dark green. Could you share info on the stone work you used?
September 20, 2012 at 5:58am   
amackinney
antje121 - thank you. The stone is by Centurion, color: Suede Ledge. I was told that it is ordered in a percentage of brown, red and whatever colors are in the mix. What those percentages are I don't know. I didn't want alot of red and wanted it spaced here and there and not lumped together. I saw it on a house that our builder had done and fell in love with it but made him assure me that the same mason would do the work so it would look the same. This is where you want to have confidence in your mason because apparently the placementis oly as good as the mason.
September 20, 2012 at 12:04pm   
Aja Mazin
So when do you erect the "Golden Arches"?
September 20, 2012 at 2:10pm   
amackinney
Aja - I always like to respond to anyone that takes the time to comment but, I don't understand your comment. Sorry.
September 20, 2012 at 2:33pm   
houssaon
Love your house. You found a beautiful yellow and I'm glad you stayed with it. I found andother yellow home that has been one of my favorites on this site:
They did the red casement trim too.
Many happy years!
September 20, 2012 at 2:57pm   
amackinney
houssaon - how did I miss this one? I have saved many an ideas from Smith & Vansant. When we we're deciding where to retire we did think of VT but then remembered that they get more snow then the mountains of NC. Thank you for the pat on the back as far as the yellow. I would've prefered a more mustardy yellow but everytime we came up with a piece of siding painted a new tone of yellow it looked so different against the house. After 4 tries and rolling eyes from our Builder I said go for it on this color. I will have to spend a little more time looking at the Farmhouse Reinterpreted. Many an unfinished touches inside our house at this point. Thanks.
September 20, 2012 at 3:08pm   
Need help on an exterior paint color for the siding and trim...
Our house has never been painted, except for a factory...
Need help selecting exterior colors: brick, siding, trim, roof
Hail storm in Colorado hit us hard, and insurance is...
Need help choosing exterior paint colour for siding and trim!
I'd like to enhance the cottage/farmhouse feel. We...
upstairs hallway
Just moved in to this 2002 mcmansion. Goal is for it...
Need help with multi purpose room furniture
I am currently trying to find a company who will construct...
To keep or keep searching? Couch
I recently custom ordered this couch, however I'm wondering...
Lighting Ideas - Entryway, Dining & kitchen island pendant lights
Sending pictures of our entryway, dining & kitchen...