Honed black granite countertops
Kelly
We just had honed black granite countertops installed in our new kitchen. We have only been in the house for less than 2 weeks and have been very gentle with them (which will not continue once we are fully unpacked and truly 'living' in the house). It seems that all marks and smudges stay and cannot be cleaned off. There are many examples but last night my 2 yr old put her fingers on the counter to reach her cup and her little prints are still there, even after I washed the counter with soapy water and a granite cleaner. PLEASE HELP! Did I really spend all of this money to get a countertop that will always look dirty?
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
Granite is very good, make sure is properly sealed, and the counter-top installer should know that.

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 10, 2014 at 12:17PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Welcome to the world of honed black granite. I would ask your installer to come back and clean the granite with a professional cleaner to rid it of any residue and previous sealing products. Then seal with an enhancing sealer. An enhancing sealer darkens the stone while it still keeps a satin finish. Then water rings, finger prints and food residue will not be as noticeable.
May 10, 2014 at 1:15PM     
Design Your Kitchen and Bath
I was also wondering if it had been sealed before using the countertop. Scott Design has good advice on what you should do for future references.
May 10, 2014 at 2:03PM     
Wavy floors
I have spent a lot of money remodeling a house I recently...
Your Opinion
We know the picture is a bit dark, but what do you...
Which wall for pictures?
I just moved and I want to put this up, but I'm not...
what should we do with our kitchen?
We've been doing a lot of thinking about redoing our...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...