What do you think? No architect, no designer, just Houzz and the two
valtex
May 9, 2014 in Before & After
98% done
abbyjean
Are you kidding? What a joy to have this as part of your home!!!
May 9, 2014 at 8:42pm     
condomary
It looks very nice. A little dark. Could you take photos with more light on in the room? Great improvement of the floor.
May 9, 2014 at 8:44pm     
Angela Prechel
Very nice
May 9, 2014 at 8:47pm     
Jolene
Beautiful!
May 9, 2014 at 8:55pm     
valtex
Umm supposed to say just the two of us. Husband and I. And, thanks, we are in love with it. Though I really miss that orange floor ; )
May 9, 2014 at 9:03pm     
valtex
Condomary, the overhead light makes a big blur in pics, but we still have to add some undercabinet LED,s. Can take some pics in daytime though or turn the cans up full blast.
May 10, 2014 at 4:20am   
nancyann0277a
Beautiful. Did you strip the cupboards and stain or are they painted?
May 10, 2014 at 4:45am   
annmarie2
gorgeous, and I think we have the same hardware on our cabinets! two quick suggestions: would two slightly smaller stools work? and as finishing touches, I'd bring in some jolts of bright colors...maybe lemon or lime?
May 10, 2014 at 5:26am     
valtex
The cabinets are all new, of stained red oak. As for the barstool, it was just put there from another room to rest my weary feet. Have a design dilemma post regarding a table vs windowseat and are waiting to decide before choosing bar stools. Also planning to add undercabinet LED lights. Not even finished moving into it yet.
May 10, 2014 at 8:03am     
Belle Chaise
Well done!
May 10, 2014 at 8:58am     
nikkiseashores
Gorgeous
May 13, 2014 at 1:52am     
melerod12
Curious, can we get pics of fridge?
May 13, 2014 at 7:31am   
North Star Kitchen & Bath
very nice, great job!
May 13, 2014 at 8:06am   
Stone Harbor Hardware
You did a great job!
May 13, 2014 at 8:48am     
valtex
Melerod, your wish is my command. We could only afford this frig because we saved by hiring our own cabinet and granite guys. The savings literally paid for the SubZ. And thanks for all the kind comments.
May 13, 2014 at 9:13am     
Curb Appeal Renovations
Great cabinetry update!
May 13, 2014 at 10:02am   
Lowe's of Hawthorne, CA
Interesting island design.
May 13, 2014 at 10:37am   
Great job. Are cabinets new. Micro looks low. How is that working for you?
May 13, 2014 at 11:22am   
valtex
Lowe's of Hawthorne, Ca. We had trouble with the design and late one night caremore55 and Brindisi design helped me out. A BUNCH. Could have squared it off, but we like the extra walkway room. We put a lot in a relatively small space but it is huge to us after the old galley.
May 13, 2014 at 2:54pm     
flair lighting
what type of light bulbs are you using? some pics look very blue...
May 13, 2014 at 3:08pm   
flair lighting
from a lighting stand point only...b/c otherwise its fab!!!.....the color of the light bulbs in the cans is causing a very industrail blue shade, and taking away from the warmth! try to get light bulbs with a more day light color. 2700 k is more warm and would help your granite a lot!!
May 13, 2014 at 3:11pm   
flair lighting
oh see pic, notice how the light from your oven hood is warm and pulling out the beige tones, but over the sink it looks gray..all in the light bulbs!!
May 13, 2014 at 3:12pm     
valtex
Flair lighting, The cans have Kreel? LED but not Philips, saved the package will have to look as I can't remember correct name or strength. There are Halogen track lights over the sink and some kind of tiny bulbs in the overhead fixture which you aren't supposed to handle with your bare hands. We are planning to add some LED undercabinet lighting. Thanks. Check back and I will find the info and take some pics in different light. There is very little LED lighting in my area to choose from. Got some ribbon type off Amazon and two metal box strip LED's to try out. We were not comfortable ordering over the net and having to install ourselves. Looks like we will have to though. None of the local lighting stores have knowledgeable employees on the subject and it is very confusing. Our electrician did not have info either, so we just had them put outlets inside the bottom cabinets.
May 13, 2014 at 9:53pm     
valtex
Nancyann, the old cabinets were ritually sacrificed complete with chanting and bonfire.
May 13, 2014 at 10:04pm     
My Crappy House
The lighting in the photo could just be the camera's white balance trying to do its best. I think your kitchen looks beautiful!
May 13, 2014 at 10:18pm   
Gina
LOVE the dark cabinets and all the awesome touches! Very pretty!
May 14, 2014 at 9:13am     
flair lighting
cree...is the name, are they replaceable bulbs or built in?
May 14, 2014 at 10:09am   
Sarah Bernardy Design
Great work! I'm sure you are very proud! No move in and enjoy it!
May 14, 2014 at 10:12am     
flair lighting
ok, so get a warm temp color bulb. and a warranty. Kichler Lighting, and Maxim Lighting both make descent LED products. go for the warm white when given the option.
May 14, 2014 at 10:13am     
pcall2000
Very nicely done. You should be proud.
May 14, 2014 at 10:24am     
valtex
Flair lighting, they are replaceable equal to 65 watt.
May 14, 2014 at 10:32am     
flair lighting
exchange to warm if you can. what does the box say...
May 14, 2014 at 10:36am     
joyjah
Great job!
May 14, 2014 at 5:25pm     
cinnamoninthya
What a transformation!
May 22, 2014 at 8:48pm     
Heather Dick
You and your hubby did a fantastic job! I love the cabinetry and your hardware choice is perfect!
May 22, 2014 at 8:49pm     
Donna Lyman Semar
Very nice job. Enjoy.
May 22, 2014 at 8:52pm   
Gigi Perrott Brady
Fantastic use of space, well done. When you consider stools, go with backless so they can fit right under the counter. That way you eye has a clean line throughout the space. No one will suffer because they don't have backs and you will be happy that they tuck under. I purposely have my microwave tucked under my island as well. Best decision I ever made since they can be eyesores and are not a critical appliance for long periods of time. You will love having it there. Enjoy your great new space.
May 22, 2014 at 9:05pm     
Linda Ellis
It is beautiful. You have done a great job !!
May 22, 2014 at 9:20pm     
Jennifer Fulkerson
Beautiful! We, too are in the middle of a remodel. No architects, no designers and a lot of DIY. It is hard but rewarding. Nice job!
May 22, 2014 at 9:31pm     
sarahbakh
Amazing!! And a WOLF stove! wow! it must be a lovely place to cook:)
May 22, 2014 at 9:35pm   
Stephane Perrault
Beautiful job!!!
May 22, 2014 at 9:39pm   
Stamps Design Services
It looks great! We are redoing our own kitchen, (thanks to a water pipe breaking). Since I am an interior designer, I won't have to hire one either...lol
May 22, 2014 at 10:50pm     
Lee Taylor
Excellent job!
May 22, 2014 at 11:34pm   
Candace Bordelon
Y'all need to chill on the lighting. Unless they hired a professional photographer who brought in his own lighting trees, you have to deal with what you get with your own camera. The fancy kitchens on Houz have been professionally staged and lit. These are regular folks!!
May 22, 2014 at 11:57pm     
debbietarrant
I have an under counter microwave and really like it. They can take up a lot of counter space and aren't particularly pretty to look at. Also it isn't used all that frequently.
May 23, 2014 at 12:08am     
smugsy1122
Where did you get the island light fixture from?
May 23, 2014 at 1:22am   
Kimberly Sagoo
What a wonderful job. I love it!!!
May 23, 2014 at 1:30am   
divinemrsm
Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I have two upholstered backless stools at my kitchen island which I purchased at grandinroad.com when they were on sale for $99 plus free shipping; the upholstery comes in a variety of colors and is much more comfortable to sit on than the all-wood stools they replaced! Love your granite, love your flooring. Well done!
May 23, 2014 at 3:06am     
gharris8
The kitchen in beautiful!!
May 23, 2014 at 3:06am     
Cheryl Lunetta
absolutely gorgeous. Job well done
May 23, 2014 at 3:11am     
valtex
Smugsy1122
The island fixture is a Kichler I found on Amazon for $275. Had to settle as the Frank Lloyd Wright fixture I wanted was around $35,000.
May 23, 2014 at 3:26am     
Jennifer Brown
Fabulous job.
May 23, 2014 at 3:42am     
Lisa Schimanski
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!
May 23, 2014 at 3:43am     
Lisa Schimanski
Reading through the comments I was surprised to see that the cabinets are oak.....wow! Who knew oak could be so beautiful?!
May 23, 2014 at 3:47am   
valtex
To everyone who has commented. Thanks so much for the likes and comments. As for the lighting, I took the pics with my iPad, not even a "real" camera. We are still looking for the right barstools which I agree should probably be backless to tuck under the island though my back may not agree. I am still bringing boxes from storage wondering how all that stuff was in my tiny kitchen and attempting to overcome my hoarding tendencies so I can get rid of what we really don't need or use. Just last night my husband declared we should not have the sugar bowl or electric can opener on the countertop. There must be a happy medium between form and function somewhere.....
BTW, I have to ask, is under $70,000 including appliances an acceptable cost for this remodel?
May 23, 2014 at 3:48am     
rumpfed
Much smarter, but still way too dark.
May 23, 2014 at 3:50am   
christine conley
Gorgeous! What is the granite?
May 23, 2014 at 3:51am   
Debbie George
I love it. The dark wood gives a richness to it. Every kitchen you see these days is the boring white. This is beautiful and looks expensive.
May 23, 2014 at 3:53am     
valtex
Lisa Schimanski. We considered maple but learned that it sometimes does not take stain evenly unless special pretreatment is applied. What material is commonly used in your area? Oak, maple, and even pine are common here, sometimes hickory. I love hickory but did not want the rustic look it can give.
May 23, 2014 at 3:54am     
valtex
Christine Conley. Granite is Sierra Bordeaux. Fairly common I believe. We wanted one called Cianitus? It has different names in different yards and is beautiful. Would have gone well in our kitchen, but when handling a small sample we found it was very, very brittle and almost twice the price.
May 23, 2014 at 4:02am   
valtex
Oops. Sienna Bordeaux is the name of granite.
May 23, 2014 at 4:05am     
valtex
Rumpfed OMG. The lighting thing. I assure you there is plenty of light in the kitchen, except for under the cabinets where we still have to install LED lights. Guess I will have to dig out my actual camera.
May 23, 2014 at 4:10am   
madgone
When we redid our kitchen last yr, we also edited & reorganized all of our pots/ pans, utensils, etc. The most helpful thing we did was to purchase inexpensive metal racks ( Think @ Lowe's, but may have been Home Depot) that our skillets/ frying pans slip into. Lets us store more in less space & easier to access.
May 23, 2014 at 4:12am     
Dufour Design LLC
nicely executed....its a great feeling isn't it? Makes you wonder how you ever were able to survive the old situation :-) ....
May 23, 2014 at 4:32am     
Peggy Corrigan
Congratulations you did a lovely job! I would kill for that much storage. We have backless stools at the island in our 'farmhouse" kitchen good for visiting and sipping a glass of wine...not for eating or using as a breakfast bar though.
May 23, 2014 at 4:37am     
Suzanne Alleman
Very Nice! I may have added a few glass or open cabinet space to balance the heaviness of wood and dark color. Great improvements!!
May 23, 2014 at 4:47am     
eguynow
Great job! and I'm a designer. You guys rock.
May 23, 2014 at 5:10am     
dopoirier
Oh, what a great idea to put the microwave under the counter! At first I thought "should have thought of that!" But I like to see mine being tucked in it's special place, on a shelf over the counter. I still have my pretty orange Sharp Carousel microwave from 2002, it works as new! And it looks great with my barn-gray wood cabinets.
May 23, 2014 at 5:15am     
SOSS Door Hardware
Beautiful, beautiful kitchen! Great job. Love all the storage. You will love the under cabinet lighting, too, when you get that installed, and wonder how you got along without it. I cannot see one thing I don't like about this kitchen. Just fantastic!
May 23, 2014 at 5:42am     
wendy_l_bryant
Wonderful job, congrats on your hard work.
May 23, 2014 at 5:51am     
butlera
Congratulations to you and hubby on a job well done! This is classic, timeless and tasteful.
May 23, 2014 at 5:54am     
Teresa
Great job! Love the island and all the storage.
May 23, 2014 at 6:18am     
Supply New England's Kitchen & Bath Gallery
Ahhh the power of Houzz!! Great job, looks beautiful!
May 23, 2014 at 6:29am     
ainerisa
Beautiful. Well done!
May 23, 2014 at 6:39am     
Shea Joy
What a relief from the first picture!
May 23, 2014 at 7:20am     
Sheryl Prince
This is gorgeous. I love the contrast. Great job!!
May 23, 2014 at 7:29am     
Shakúff
Wow! That is some inspiring Houzz magic! Congrats on your beautiful kitchen transformation!
May 23, 2014 at 7:43am     
A Hall
Good grief! Did you just give up and move to a better house and tell us you did the upgrades? Looks GREAT! Fantastic job!
May 23, 2014 at 8:27am     
The Robin's Nest Emporium & Decor
WOW ... LOVE!
May 23, 2014 at 9:34am     
valtex
Stamps Design Service
Does breaking a water pipe work to get a new kitchen? Now you tell me. I would have done that 10 years ago if I'd known. Too bad there are no water lines in my living room. Hmm but there are....wet bar I hate.
May 23, 2014 at 9:43am   
Ferrarini Kitchen & Bath
Good Job
May 23, 2014 at 9:45am   
Anina Salerno_Aita
What a wonderful transformation!!! I had a kitchen that looked A LOT like your before--I even had the trash compactor. I did a design it yourself with the help of a friend who works at Home Depot as a kitchen designer. My big savings came from adding a large pantry on one wall with 48 inch French doors and floor to ceiling shelves. I stole 18 inches from my formal living room to get the space for the pantry. Huge difference in functionality of the 10 x 11 kitchen, and the living room doesn't seem like I did anything to it at all.. Old kitchen had a total of 8 feet of empty countertop. New kitchen has twice that, plus the storage from a 6 x 1.5 ft pantry. I didn't have room for an island, and I envy yours!!
May 23, 2014 at 10:33am   
kanestor
Wow! Just beautiful.
May 23, 2014 at 11:19am   
Janis Kennedy
Love the way the counters, floors and walls blend together!
May 23, 2014 at 11:30am   
Dorian Slate
This kitchen remake would have looked great with copper.
May 23, 2014 at 11:31am     
mammie1024
It looks beautiful, great job.
May 23, 2014 at 11:38am   
grobby
Pat yourself on the back. Good job!
May 23, 2014 at 11:43am   
justine7700
Congrats! Can you tell me where you got the pulls from?
May 23, 2014 at 12:00pm   
Linda Rooney
Gorgeous! Not too dark -- it's perfect. Love it!!
May 23, 2014 at 1:35pm   
sunnydrew
excellent job. all your friends will be calling to have you do their kitchens!
May 23, 2014 at 1:37pm     
Robin Amorello, CKD CAPS - Atmoscaper Design
You did a beautiful job!! Cook, Eat, Enjoy~
May 23, 2014 at 3:11pm     
swickbb
Gasp! It's not a white kitchen? Lol! Seriously though it is amazing to see how a space can be transformed. Love the island.
May 23, 2014 at 5:14pm     
Lura Gee
We have that exact same (before) floor! And I've been planning to put in the exact same (after) floor! I was "floored" when I saw this. Just emailed it to my husband. Congrats on a fabulous new kitchen! It's gorgeous!
May 23, 2014 at 8:10pm     
normaanne
Beautiful!!! I love the cabinets; if I ever get to do my kitchen, that is the color I would love to have.
May 23, 2014 at 9:59pm     
valtex
Normaanne
You share a name with my younger sister who died at birth. The stain is Old Masters brand, vintage burgundy. Their website has an easy to use color wheel where you can preview the look of different stains on various types of wood.
May 24, 2014 at 7:14am     
valtex
Lara Gee
I feel your pain. Did you notice the printed wall border paper? Clash does not describe it, teal and purple, was here when we bought the house. Always said I was going to at least take it off, but somehow never did. Funny how you stop seeing things you see every day.
May 24, 2014 at 7:19am   
valtex
Anybody have a Wolf range? It is my first gas range. Burners are great, but the oven is really hot. As in, stuff cooks in half the called for time even after reducing temp. Have not baked much yet, just biscuits and rolls, but am afraid things will burn outside and be raw inside. Input anyone?
May 24, 2014 at 7:23am   
bootsey
You've done an amazing thing here. Did you decide it was unnecessary to have a wall oven? I am designing my kitchen remodel, currently have stove top and double wall oven but takes up a lot of space and I feel I would only need it for 1 holiday. Don't know why but am really wrestling with this decision.
Re: oven, I think you'll get the feel of it with time but it might be helpful to purchase an oven thermometer to see if the reading matches what the oven says. It may need to be adjusted by an appliance person, maybe Wolf has a trouble shooting site. Wish I had your problems, lol!
May 24, 2014 at 10:06am   
Lisa Schimanski
Thanks for the comment back valtex! Oak, Maple, Cherry and Birch are popular here. I kind of like the uneven look of Maple or Birch. I am certainly not a fan of Oak...it has been used to death and I don't care for strong grainy look....but yours are simply gorgeous! And I don't think your kitchen is too dark. I totally love it! Enjoy!
May 24, 2014 at 1:14pm   
valtex
Bootsy
I personally barely need an oven, but my husband likes to cook. We were looking for longevity in appliances as he is hoping to retire soon. We do not have lots of company here and I can not imagine needing two ovens. As to wall ovens, guess it is all in what you want vs. your design space. Not having to bend over to the oven has it's benefits and I am a believer in planning ahead for aging in place.
May 25, 2014 at 6:09am     
tw123456
Wow! You done real good!! ;0))) LOL
Is that a drawer microwave that I see? I saw one at Lowe's?
June 23, 2014 at 7:50pm     
drgreen987
This is amazing work my friend !! Looks really nice!!
June 23, 2014 at 8:18pm     
valtex
Tw123456. Yes it is a drawer mw. The only manufacturer of them is Sharp although several companies have a model with their name on one, all are made by Sharp. Got mine via Amazon for $775. Am liking it very much so far.
June 25, 2014 at 4:46am   
tw123456
I saw this same one a couple of yrs ago for a $ hundred more, I guess the price is coming down. For me it would be good, so I don't have to reach up to get large hot heavy items, since I do most of our cooking in the microwave.
June 25, 2014 at 11:01am     
lellogirl
Really well done! It looks fantastic!
June 25, 2014 at 1:38pm     
SoCal Contractor
Great transformation!
June 25, 2014 at 3:09pm     
Architecture
yes is lovely
June 25, 2014 at 3:14pm     
drivemecrazy
Love the cabinets we are in the process of getting a new kitchen. Cherry cabinets with cinnamon finish.
June 25, 2014 at 6:33pm     
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Well done!
June 26, 2014 at 11:41am     
What do you think of this two cushions together?
I bought this navy cushion to mix it with my gold/beige...
What do you think of these two colors together??????
What do you think of Sherwin Williams Mindful Grey...
Just added a backsplash..what do you think?
We added this slate backsplash because I love the natural...
Long narrow L shape condo balcony
I got a corner unit with long and narrow L shape balcony...
Should I purchase plain Jane?
We are thinking about purchasing this home because...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Cane bottom dining chairs-- need ideas on how to change them!
I inherited these beautiful dining chairs that I really...
SOS - Need help for a bedroom
Hi all, I fell in love with a Kris Tate design for...