Seeking ideas for the entrance to a basement apartment

Eric SimmsMay 11, 2014
This is a picture of the entrance to the basement apartment of my house, where my tenant resides. I took this picture on a bright and sunny day, but the entrance is shaded by a large tree, so it never receives full sun. Also, I just washed the walls, which is why the stairs appear wet (the white color at the bottom of the stairs are soap suds). I just finished painting the rail today (it was badly rusted), and I need to powerwash the stairs and paint over the rust stains under the rail.
Do you have any ideas how I might make this entrance interesting? I view my house primarily as an art installation, so I’m up for trying anything regarding it. I thought I would paint the stairs a new color using Olympic Rescue It! resurfacer. Terra cotta, perhaps? As for the walls, I believe the original owners painted them white to make the entrance as bright as possible and to match the house; for that reason I might have to repaint the walls white.
I figure I could plant colorful foliage that cascades over the wall and down into the stairway. Does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks!
brickln
The entrance isn't very wide, so I would be cautious about plants-perhaps the wall facing you as you descend would be a better location? I could also see a water feature there, trickling down the brick. If you like color, you could stencil a runner down the stairs. Is it a solid door?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Eric Simms    May 11, 2014 at 1:08PM
megen20
Can you remove the tree, paint white wall .....
    Bookmark   Thanked by Eric Simms    May 11, 2014 at 1:15PM
Eric Simms
Yes, the door is solid - I attached a photo. The shadow is so deep in that stairway it's like descending into Mordor.
Cascading plants down the back wall is a good idea. The area at the bottom is so small I'd be hard-pressed to put a water feature down there, but I like the idea and I'll retain it for later. :-)
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:22PM
Eric Simms
@megen20: I would love to remove that tree, but it's old and lends much to the landscape design.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:25PM
leelee
Is there any way that you could put some sort of awning over the whole stairway? I keep thinking of the tenant getting soaked trying to navigate the stairs in a downpour. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this if this is on the front of your home.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Eric Simms    May 11, 2014 at 1:35PM
Eric Simms
@leelee: I like your awning idea; it puts me in mind of a New York City apartment entrance. I think an awning would block what little light currently reaches the stairway. I'll consider it, for it would look nice. Thanks for the idea.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:57PM
You could do an awning but add lighting - even solar powered lighting with the grid above on the wall so the lights were on all the time . . . painting the stairs is a good idea. Don't know your house colors otherwise, but I wouldn't use terracotta with white - I'd try to imitate travertine - go for a warm undertone tan - it will reflect off the side walls and add sunlight in there - like sw straw harvest http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7698-straw-harvest/

If you consider an awning - think about the quality of the reflected light - stay khaki tan there too as the deepest shade you would consider. .
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:02PM
leelee
If you end up doing an awning you could also add some extra lights underneath.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:04PM
brickln
I like the lit awning idea- especially if you live in a wintery area. They can be made from glass as well. Puck lights along the stairs would look great, too.
On the water feature, the one I saw had a narrow trough at the bottom and just a hidden hose at top with multiple holes. Instant focal point- just adding sound can make an entrance welcoming. A painted canvas or wall garden would look nice, too.
Since the door is solid, i guess decorating the railing wall isn't really necessary.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Eric Simms    May 11, 2014 at 2:36PM
bgfuqua
be careful painting stairs that they don't become slick. there is a sand/grit you put in paint for last coat. the paint dept. at home depot has it.
    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:48PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider putting tile over the brick... ceramic tile, glass tile, metal tile or a combination on the white brick. There's a lot of great colors, shapes and sizes. Be sure to wire brush the loose paint off the brick and use exterior grade mortar thinset and grout o apply it.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 3:30PM
What kind of floor should I put in my basement to studio apt. remodel?
I am in the midst of having my basement remodeled into...
peggyjackson3
Exterior facelift ideas
We have just purchased this home built in 1979. It...
serendipity7
Need help updating, any idea's would be great....thanks
We just purchased this home, built in the 70's. This...
timandkathd
BASEMENT LEVEL GUESTROOM LUXURY NEEDED - QUICK!!!
Our lower level/basement has a nice curved stairway...
anaid
LONG hallway, short on ideas!
Seeking inspiration on how to dress up my long, empty...
Noz As A Service
Accessorizing advice needed
Base of room is complete but I am terrible with accessories....
debbiejcarlo
Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted...
rterbeek
I need to find a mirror to put over the console table
My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings...
ntrama
New
My husband and I are trying to decide on the following...
judy06
Where to put the console table and what to put above it?
Hi Have a design Dilemma. I don't know where to put...
nixx22