Solution for kitchen cabinet needed ASAP!
juniper4us
When we measured (and our cabinet guy measured) for our kitchen cabinets, neither of us took into account the vault in our ceiling. Walking in, the line is off and it is bugging me a bit. Looks like we went too far on the kitchen (which we did). We have a few solutions. One is to loose the top part of the cabinet and only have the larger bottom part which is a pull out spice rack (not losing that!). I like this solution except for I don't know what to put there to fill that spot and make it look natural. Any thoughts on what I could do? Or any other ideas? Needing to do this ASAP...like let him know tomorrow! Yikes!
nansdrew
Is there a way to extend the kitchen ceiling drop to cover the cabinet top? Maybe a few more photos of the ceiling and how it meets other rooms/areas can help.
1 Like   May 11, 2014 at 11:03PM
fififiona
I would just add crown and fire the cabinet guy!!! A really rookie move!!! One of the very first things you note on a plan is the ceiling height. In fact if you do not havae that on your plan when taking the CKD exam (certified kitchen designer) it is an automatic failureā€¦that is how important it is. Wishing you the best.
3 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 11:32PM
ell1010
I'm assuming the cabinets are custom? If so, have the "cabinet guy" build up around the part of the cabinet that is protruding into the other room, and wrap it in crown. This way it looks intentional.
Also, make sure this is a cost he will absorb, not you. We hire professionals for a reason. Best of luck.
0 Likes   May 11, 2014 at 11:59PM
shelleyuk
I'd go with the lowered end cabinet. It will look intentional if you use that space for cookery books or something decorative.
2 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 12:53AM
hatetoshop
Found a few photos that might help you -- staggered cabinets seem to be popular, so why not remove the top of the cabinet but keep the crown.

Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Ultimate Island

JacksonBuilt Custom Homes

Good luck!
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 1:20AM
Victoria
Yes, stagger the height and make the end cabinet lower. Maybe you could use the space to display the head of your kitchen designer! LOL
3 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 1:55AM
PPF.
Both choices look wrong. The first is oops!, the second, the extra cabinet looks like an unplanned add on.

You must really like the spices :)
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 7:47AM
apple_pie_order
If there is room, have the cabinetmaker add narrow pull out spice racks on top and bottom to left of fridge as you face it. That will move the fridge sideways over to the place where the ceiling change occurs. The top or bottom spice rack spaces could also simply be places to store trays and cookie sheets vertically.
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 8:10AM
Denita
apple_pie_order is spot on with her solution above ^^^. The pull out spice racks can be sized appropriately and are much more useful than the original storage that you show now on the right of the fridge. It will always bother you to have it staggered (it would me) due to a mistake by the cabinet company. This way it looks intentional and is functional. You can do spice racks above and below or like apple_pie suggested spice and tray rack or pot rack :)
Pull-Out Spice Rack Built Into Custom Wood Hood (Open)
Contemporary Kitchen Remodel
Custom Defined
Kitchen After
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 8:31AM
Staged for Perfection
What about pulling the end cabinet out and having bookshelves that face the adjacent room there?
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 8:52AM
Staged for Perfection
They can be as wide as the space inline with the ceiling
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 8:52AM
Melissa Freeman
Honestly, just ignore it, many people aren't going to be looking up, as you can see at the ground level it matches to the carpet so doesn't look to far off.

Just try to draw the eye low, maybe a nice floor mat/rug or something along those things.
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 9:08AM
Evans Woodworking Inc
The ceiling going from flat to vaulted is something we see all the time. While trying to stay inside the natural ceiling line is optimum, we have gone beyond the confines of the ceiling. What we have done in situations where the ceiling changes but the client wants to go beyond that change, is to lower the cabinet a bit, like 6-8". It conveys intentionality, because with cabinets, if you cant hide it, glorify it.
0 Likes   Thanked by juniper4us    May 12, 2014 at 9:31AM
juniper4us
@ Evans Woodworking...do you then put crown around that part as well or put more of a shelf top on it?
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 3:34PM
GN Builders L.L.C
Denita has a great idea, doing a full pullout.

Anything else will look botched up unless you extend the ceiling, or run the crown around and make a shelf.
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 4:31PM
rosecottagehome
Can you not add a small boxed dry wall extension to the existing ceiling to just go over the cabinet that juts out? With the crown added it would all blend in. The ceiling add on is so small, it could not possibly cost that much???
If this is not possible, then the lowered cupboard would be a viable option, however, the top of this shorter cupboard should be as high as the bottom of the upper cabinet it is beside, IMO, to look more intentionally in the plan. The plan as it is now of the lowered cupboard looks to short to me. Wishing you a resolve to your situation.
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 4:59PM
SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
If space allows I would suggest the following:
1) I would push out the cabs and frig so crown aligns with ceiling hgt change with some allowance for irregularity and use the gained several inches to create open tray slot space between the left side of frig and adjacent upper and lower cabs (as suggested by apple_pie_order) if you actually have enough room to do so. 3" clear width with thin separator would be min. To free up more room for trays and perhaps even enough room for enclosed spice pull-outs you could use a 3/4" flat craftsman crown which would project less than the more traditional one shown, if that appeals to you.
2) Raise hgt of original pantry/spice pull-out door to match hgt of frig door for visual alignment. I think this is key.
3) Add crown to pantry/spice pull-out so top of crown meets bottom of cabs above frig for visual alignment.
4) Place door handle to pantry/spice pull-out at left center to bring your eye down and away from jog in hgt. and for ergonomics.
5) Place beautiful vase, sculpture, basket, plant or books with bookend to fill space as fully and naturally as possible.

This should work out fine even if you can't get the added tray slots/spice pull-out between frig and cabs to left, and the crown doesn't end up exactly aligning with ceiling hgt change. I think the alignment of the pantry/spice rack door hgt to the frig is key to making it look more planned.

Food for thought: Make the pantry/spice rack pull-outs to right of frig a 2 door unit that looks like an armoire, perhaps as low as 42"? to look like it's a piece of furniture and independent of the kitchen cabs.

Hope this helps.
0 Likes   May 12, 2014 at 6:07PM
laurakdesigns
Looks like tile extends too far then too....which doesn't look quite right either. Is that new too? I'd make a narrower spice rack to line up with the vaulted portion.
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 7:06PM
Evans Woodworking Inc
@juniper4us crown molding with a flush top, so you can put something decorative up there.
0 Likes   Thanked by juniper4us    May 13, 2014 at 7:43AM
dinabea
The edges not meeting would make me crazy. Do away with all the upper cabinets and put in open shelves?
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 8:05AM
cynamonc
I would just remove the narrow tall end cabinet. You then have only three choices: 1, End the cabinets with the built in refrigerator, 2. have base cabinet piece with countertop installed and no wall cabinet above, add a outlet and it will be a great place for charging phones etc. 3. build a narrow custom storage piece for that small space that looks purpose built, but fits exactly. Diamond Cabinetry Golden Kitchen Shorewood kitchen storage://www.houzz.com/photos/95077/Amish-Custom-Kitchens---Traditional-traditional-kitchen-chicago Chilliwack Central Old Mill Park
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 8:31AM
GN Builders L.L.C
I think Crown with a shelf on top would be the best solution. Here is a few images to give you an idea what it will look like... and frankly speaking it looks as it was meant to be that way.

Good luck
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 10:27AM
cynamonc
I'd love to see what you decided and post photos of the finished kitchen.
0 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 8:26AM
In the middle of my kitchen upgrade - need backsplash solution ASAP
I just installed granite (Eagle White), new cooktop...
jbdorsey
Ivy Levinson
ASAP- need help on kitchen cabinet colors
We are having our oak and kitchen cabinets painted...
cminarovic
Major Staircase design solution needed asap!
We are building a new house and have designed a staircase...
sierraimwalle
Need cabinet solution for my kitchen
New range sticks out further than specs explained....
bigmamabarnes
living room design
I would like furnishing ideas for a step down living...
tinatbop
Help with family room accent pieces and furniture placement
We recently moved in and repainted the walls and ordered...
nikkiwit
how to create barn wood wall
How should I create a barnwood gray accent wall?
Rachel Short
Deep Blue Group Tokyo - 50 Isa fejl for at undga
Fiskerirettighederne til fonden butik. Omkostninger...
cyrallekanemunich
Best Part of Living in the Midwest?
Do you or have you lived in the Midwest? What's the...