Pls help, mosaic doesn't match with wall tiles, how can I salvage this
rubypumps
Hi
I've chosen the wrong colour combination to match my mosaic bathtub cove, the cream tiles takes up 60-70% of the wall, mosaic takes up 30% of the wall.

Pls refer to pics, mosaics are shimmery greyish blue in real life.

The rectangular cream tiles are less cream/beige in real life. The pic of the single cream tile is more true in color actually.

I refer don't like the cream+grey combination but it's too late to make changes now.

How can I salvage it? I paid quite a fair bit for the mosaic wall and pretty upset over this.

I have chose iMasonary(attached pic) as my vanity top. Do you think it matches ?

Should I use Zenith Elegance or Just Oak for my vanity cabinet?

P/s: can't seem to post more than 4 pics. Will post pics below in a separate post.
rubypumps
Here are the remaining pictures.

Please help me decide if i should take Zenith Elegance or Just Oak for my vanity cabinet.
May 11, 2014 at 10:27pm   
fififiona
Is there a reason you took on an expensive project like a bathroom without hiring a bath designer? A few hours of her time woud have avoided mistakes and actually savd you money in the long run. You have selected some beautiful finishes but they do not work together…my heart breaks for you but perhaps it is time to call in a professional for a consultation…it will be money well spent.
May 11, 2014 at 11:10pm     
solraven
I like your color combination, but because they are contrasting colors/materials, the disconnect is that they almost seem like two different spaces, instead of one cohesive space.

I like "Just Oak" for the vanity. I don't see how the linen texture of Zenith Elegance fits into this space.
May 11, 2014 at 11:28pm   
rubypumps
fififiona: i'm from asia, there isn't a bath designer in the residential market. there are also specific rulings to follow for apartments so i can't hack or do a overlay now :(

the next best thing i could do now is to play around with the cabinet colour and lighting.
May 12, 2014 at 12:32am     
ambersarris
To tie the space together start pulling colours out of the mosaic to use in the vanity. But stick to the medium tones like the mid grey. If you use the darks you'll end up just creating more contrast and the whites will make the mosaic stand out in a bad way.
I like the countertop you've chosen but i think the cabinet choices are too extreme, are there any other options? If not then go for the zenith classic white.

I would also add a backsplash in the mosaic between your vanity counter and mirror like the pic below.

Add a long towel rail on the cream tiles to the left of the bath that will break up the solid colour. Use towels in a complimentary colour to the mosaic. In the photos the mosaic looks like it has blue undertones, maybe go for a grey blue towel.

Don't forget to "decorate" the bathroom, add hand wash, creams, brush holders etc that compliment.

[houzz=Mid Century Modern Guest Bathroom]
[houzz=Dotty Bath Towel, Steel Blue]
[houzz=Ezio Luxury Towel Set, Tubmat, Shadow Grey]
May 12, 2014 at 4:03am     
Triandos Creations
Hi Rubypumps. Unfortunately you have made the common mistake of mixing undertones. I see this a lot as a colour consultant. Mistakes with your hard finishes are the worst kind because they are very costly to change. Right now your walls have a pink undertone and your walls behind the tub and counter are clearly blue grey. Since blue is complementary to pink, it brings out the pink in the tile even more and the clean blue makes the tile look dirty. It may be hard for you to see this, but this is what's happening and this is probably why you don't like your bathroom. Since you chose such a busy mosaic, it has become the boss (and focal point) of the room and I would now keep your other finishes as simple as possible.

If you can, down the road, change the beige tile. Because unfortunately, there is no magic colour combination that will make it disappear.

Working with what you have, I would most likely go with a more neutral cabinet like Uniboard G21 Viva Walnut. It will help warm up the space. Black is too stark for this bathroom.
May 12, 2014 at 4:43am   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Wow. Tough crowd! I have seen FAR worse bathroom choices than this and I actually think what you've done is very nice. If you are saying that the beige tiles are less cream/beige than I think it will be fine with the mosaic. I think the Just Oak (charcoal) vanity will be a nice contrast. I've done this combination in several bathrooms (see attached photos) and don't think you will be disappointed when all is set up. In fact, I think it will be beautiful. Good luck from Montreal!
May 12, 2014 at 4:56am        Thanked by rubypumps
leelee
Why not go with the same tiles throughout the bath? Pick one or the other. Why switch in such a small area?

Since it's already done the part that looks "undone" to me is the sharp, flat line between the two tiles. Don't know if it's too late to add a pencil tile or a bull-nose to transition from one to the other. That might help with the look of the color, too.
May 12, 2014 at 5:28am     
rubypumps
Hi everyone,

Do you think these work better ?
May 14, 2014 at 9:32pm   
ambersarris
Have you held up the sample of countertop and mosaic next to them to see the combination?
May 15, 2014 at 1:18am   
Karin Madgwick
Zenith elegance. If you use a mix of towels that match the tile and mosaic then you will soften the colour difference and make it look right.
May 15, 2014 at 5:21am   
Karin Madgwick
I meant to say that zenith elegance is too busy with the mosaics.
May 15, 2014 at 5:23am   
Karin Madgwick
It is almost impossible to choose colours from photos as the colours are not true and you do not get the light play that happens in the actual room. When in doubt choose a contrast like the Just Oak rather than another beige as it is easy to get the wrong base with the beige and you will have another off colour
May 15, 2014 at 5:28am   
Need kitchen help ideas
We are moving into a home we just purchased, we have...
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...
thinking about painting a terracotta floor - have u done this ?
I am living in France, and redoing the house, in a...
Large lounge room layout.
My lounge has a fire on one wall and the TV on the...