need help choosing paint colors for walls in open floor plan
cherilee01May 12, 2014
We are in the midst of remodeling. We're unsure as to what color paint to choose for this open floor plan; it comprises the entry, great room, and kitchen. The existing color is taupe-like. We were thinking of keeping this color and going 1 shade darker for the fireplace wall. We're tired of white or vanilla walls. The couches are chocolate leather, the wood flooring is varying shades of light hickory. There'll be a white Flokati rug under the glass cocktail table.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
This is a great space! I'm not sure the existing wall colour will be great with your floor colour - in the photos the paint appears to be rather green. Would you consider grey for the walls? I think it could be nice with your brown leather furniture and new floors. I wouldn't go darker on the fireplace though. I think it will overwhelm the room. I would keep it white (sorry!) and put a really interesting mirror or painting up. Good luck from Montreal!
    Bookmark   Thanked by cherilee01    May 12, 2014 at 11:41AM
doctornancy
Hi Cherilee, In keeping with the Houzz-way of offering differing opinions, I'd suggest the fireplace wall be two shades darker than the rest of your walls (if the lighting in the room is sufficient to keep the room from going too dark). I suggest two shades darker, because the eye cannot usually see the difference in one shade. It will add to the FP wall as a focal point and provide lovely contrast with your white Flokati rug. Since colors over the web vary so much, I hesitate to recommend a specific color. Your wall color appears green on my monitor. If your current color coordinates well with your floors and accent pillows, then it will probably work out well.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by cherilee01    May 12, 2014 at 11:58AM
cherilee01
Thanks, everyone...It's not green at all..I guess it's the lighting or time of day. It's more brown. The cushions will NOT be used; they are the wrong colors.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 5:31PM