Window placement for story and a half farmhouse remodel
okcamp
We're trying to save our forties farmhouse because we love the location. The house is sunny and comfortable with the exception of uneven floors and shoddy work. All the floors are maple.

We're in the process of leveling the foundation and are getting ready to remove a couple of interior load bearing walls. This will be a complete redo if there are no major structural issues. It was poorly built with rough sawn lumber. The basement is dry. We're moving out soon to see where this takes us.

In the event it's a go, I'm trying to figure out where to place new windows. That plate glass picture window in the living room is my favorite and has the best view unobstructed by a horizontal line and screens. The rest of the windows are double hung and we've replaced about seven of them. All are wood clad inside. Also, the south wall where the picture window is faces the road, though we're set back several hundred feet.

I have attached photos taken this afternoon. The front door nearest the fire pit is unusable most of the year because the snow gets too deep to open the door. It will need an overhang or the door relocated. The door under the porch is in the back and we plan to add on a master bath and bedroom if this remodel works out. Otherwise, we'll get a plan together and try to build next year.

If anyone is interested I can post interior shots. Sorry about the mess, but I'm packing and have stuff spread out all over. We plan to open up the wall behind the TV. It's currently a small bedroom which could be an office or whatever.

I'd love some advice and fresh eyes. Thanks.
apple_pie_order
Sounds like you really love the house. Is it well insulated? Love to see more photos.

Do you have a complete plan already with 20-30% contingency in your budget?
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 2:41PM
okcamp
Nope, I don't have a complete plan. We'll make a decision shortly if it's worth fixing. We have a home equity loan and savings. I apologize for the photos. It's a total wreck inside at the moment. The house is 28 x 30 and has whatever insulation they used in the forties. We have a propane back up system but heat with an outdoor wood boiler most of the year. I keep it a toasty 72 degrees all winter. On sunny days the south room is warm and cozy.
   May 12, 2014 at 2:52PM
apple_pie_order
Is that a crack in the bottom right photo? If you have not had a contractor come out yet to give you an estimate, you might consider that. Or talk to an architect who will come out on site. This is a small house that might cost more to repair than to rebuild from scratch. That depends, of course, on local conditions.

I'm not familiar with outside wood boilers. Are you up north?
   May 12, 2014 at 3:04PM
okcamp
Yes, my contractor is working on the foundation. He needs to remove the drywall before he lifts that section of the floor. That's what we're going to find out....if we should remodel or build new. It would cost to tear down but we have a good well and septic (and dry basement).

We're on the Lake Superior region called the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Here's a picture of the house pre-packing in the winter. The house sits on a hill overlooking a trout stream valley. The small garage behind the house will come down if we add on or build in this spot.
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 3:35PM
okcamp
The cracks are from the floor leveling.
   May 12, 2014 at 3:37PM
Back Splash for Laundry Room
Please help! I am having a hard time deciding on the...
Trying to update my '60s tri-plex. Any Exterior Ideas??
Hi, what would you do with the exterior of this dated...
Tackling the space above the kitchen cabinets
I'm looking to replace the decor above the cabinets;...
Need help in small kitchen
I have flat oak cabinets, nickel pulls , stainless...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....