Living room makeover - Don't know where to start!
Sara G
Help! My living room needs a face lift, but I don't even know where to start. I definitely need color and patterns. Appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
SaraG
chemayne
can you post a brighter picture of your sectional?
what's staying and what's going?
May 12, 2014 at 2:44PM     
Sara G
Yes!!! I will retake and post tomorrow. Planning to keep sofa, but can get rid of table. Thank You!!
May 12, 2014 at 2:50PM   
Sara G
another pic attached, but more to follow
May 12, 2014 at 2:55PM   
jjandhk
you have a beautiful space!
i think you need some colour; but i would start with a new hardwood flooring plus large area rug; or new carpet. Is that in your plans?
May 12, 2014 at 3:18PM        Thanked by Sara G
brendah142
Make a built in with your nook. Make sure it will accommodate the tv and has adjustable shelving in case you change the size of TV. Change the surround on the fireplace to match the built in and maybe do a small hearth depending on how big the room is, also you could move the furniture away from the wall and put a table with a lamp and decor in the corner. Maybe add a chair there too if space is available. Can't wait to see pics.
May 12, 2014 at 3:22PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
thank you for your comments. @jjandhk - Currently, I have to work with what I have and can add where needed. Can you recommend colors, patterns, etc.? Hardwood flooring is a definite, but in the near future.
May 12, 2014 at 3:51PM   
Sara G
@brendah142 - never thought of moving the furniture away from the wall...what a great idea! Maybe a sofa table? Also, what do you recommend for the fireplace mantel update?
May 12, 2014 at 3:54PM   
When you post new photos, please post all four walls--or four directions if there are no walls.
May 12, 2014 at 3:59PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
@groverraxle - Thank you! Will do!
May 12, 2014 at 4:01PM     
jjandhk
hi Sara, what other colours are you using in your home decor?
May 12, 2014 at 4:32PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
I have all netural colors (light, med, and dk browns). I definetly need other colors. I love greens, reds, corals, blues, etc. I also love patterns such as chevron, stripes, etc.
May 12, 2014 at 4:37PM   
Art instead of a mirror will add some pop.
May 12, 2014 at 4:55PM        Thanked by Sara G
jjandhk
You have beautiful neutrals to start with--almost any colour will work!
first, i would definitely pull your sectional up closer to the fireplace--that would make a lovely seating arrangement. Could you buy a nice armchair to put to the left of the FP; with some colour and pattern you like? then you could pull some colours out of that for pillows, throws, artwork, vases, etc.
May 12, 2014 at 5:16PM        Thanked by Sara G
L2 Interiors
Depends on your budget but I would paint or do a accent wall behind the TV- wallpaper if not paint, even something darker in 3 shades will make all the difference. I would also get a new mirror above the fireplace- something bigger and more fun. Accessories will make all the difference and it's a inexpensive way to change things up once you're bored of it.
May 12, 2014 at 5:18PM        Thanked by Sara G
jjandhk
love the art groveraxle! .....even better idea--start with the art!
then a chair? pillows? you don't need a whole lot!
May 12, 2014 at 5:26PM        Thanked by Sara G
General Stone Management
You have a blank slate to work with, grey is in, but you have too much IMO... Hardwoods or new floor covering would help, and splash some color on those walls, but but we would sure like to see you do a great piece of stone on that fireplace surround and hearth! Make it a focal point and hey maybe choose the stone first and pick colors from there... it is a fun way to get you out of the box and think about colors you may not have otherwise. ;-) Best of luck and be sure to show us what you decide on.
May 12, 2014 at 5:29PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I am confused about pulling the sectional away from the wall. Here are some more pics of the entire area.
May 12, 2014 at 8:02PM   
Sara G
And more ...kitchen is attached to family room
May 12, 2014 at 8:04PM   
abbyjean
Your seating area is a long ways from the tv and the fireplace. Look at all the floor space in your first pics with nothing there. Sometimes that is a good thing, but in your room, I would love to see the seating brought up, almost having the edge of the sectional at the wall it is facing now. That will leave some window area behind the sectional open, which is ok, too. How much room do you think it would be for ideas as to what to use it for?
May 12, 2014 at 8:08PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
And one more :-)
May 12, 2014 at 8:11PM   
abbyjean
I would remove the pics on the shelf under the tv....hard to look at them AND the tv. Find something else with some height to fill in the area instead of pictures.
May 12, 2014 at 8:14PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
If I brought the sectional forward, what do I put behind it? Do I turn it another way? Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly.
May 12, 2014 at 8:22PM   
abbyjean
Right now, I would just slide it as is, forward, with that chaise piece very close to the edge of the wall the windows are on. It just needs to be moved away from the windows and closer to the focal points.
May 12, 2014 at 8:25PM        Thanked by Sara G
abbyjean
The piece under the tv might work behind the sectional once it moves....either under the window or behind the seating. Then something heavier looking could go under the tv.
May 12, 2014 at 8:26PM        Thanked by Sara G
OK, it's a very difficult room. It would be made much easier and would be more cohesive if the carpet could be gone. It limits your furniture placement way too much.

For now, I'd say try splitting the sectional; put one part on an angle following the angle of the rug, and the other part facing the fireplace wall. (Humor me here.) Then give us a photo from the same angle as your last picture with the dog.

And please please please, take down all the fake greenery and see if anyone on Craigslist wants to buy it. Your kitchen will be seriously beautiful when it's gone!
May 12, 2014 at 8:35PM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
l truly appreciate the honesty and advice. I will reposition the sectional and repost pics.....stay tuned!
May 12, 2014 at 9:05PM   
Sara G
So.... If I take down the fake greenery do I put something in its place?
May 12, 2014 at 9:08PM   
abbyjean
You may like it empty up there, but if you have some tall and colorful vases or pitchers or pottery, we could work out a small grouping for them.
May 13, 2014 at 5:13AM        Thanked by Sara G
May 13, 2014 at 6:13AM        Thanked by Sara G
You need to seriously declutter your kitchen. I've started with the table and counter on the left. Put nothing on top of the cabinets. Clear the counters of everything except toasters and coffeemakers and things you use every day. I've put a single bright piece of art glass on the table to draw the eye.

Someone once asked me, if fake greenery is so bad, how come she sees it all over at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. The answer: because it's common and ordinary and cheap. Common and cheap is NOT what you want for your house. If you see it everywhere, do not buy it. Better to go to the thrift store and find one unique and beautiful piece.

Your kitchen is beautiful. Let it show!
May 13, 2014 at 6:24AM        Thanked by Sara G
Sara G
A small update.......So far I've move the sectional forward as suggested by abbyjean and jjandhk. I plan to do more as this is work in progress. I welcome continued ideas\suggestions as well :-)
June 5, 2014 at 10:37PM   
Cherrie Hub Furniture
Hi, i agree with de-cluttering the space - less picture frames in various places, why not group them together in one spot? In a small space, the glass coffee table will work better, and also I would arrange the decorations on the mantelpiece symmetrically. I think adding a bold art work on the wall, few colourful cushions and some matching dry flower arrangements will add an interest and lovely accent.
June 5, 2014 at 11:11PM        Thanked by Sara G
Need help ordering plants!
I am landscaping my new home and to buy asian jasmine...
kitchen faucet
looking for brushed stainless steel faucet with a sensor....
Bathroom Paint Color
I have lighter colored tile and a gray counter top....
White hardi?
It's time for us to choose exterior paint colors and...