Decision time - lighting, doors, island size...
955reber
May 13, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hi folks,
Our new house construction is ready for wiring, and decisions need to be made - yikes. 1. Pocket door vs. traditional swing-in door in master bath? I like the clean lines of a pocket door, but there is room for a regular swing door. I guess most of all, can anyone recommend a good, easy-gliding pocket door? 2. Anyone have experience with Lithonia Lighting LED lights replacing cans in the kitchen? 3. Island size: I just shrunk the depth of my island from 4 ft to 3 ft (2 ft. cabinets with 1 foot overhang for seating). Island is all one level. Has anyone regretted a smaller island? We have the room for either...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
OnePlan
3ft will give you better walk around clearance ! unless you will be using the island to roll pastry everyday, I don't think you'll regret the smaller size ( it's easier to clean too - unless you have arms like MrTickle !)
LED's are the future ! no regrets there either, in my opinion !
as for sliding doors - great if you need the space - again only my opinion - but I'd have normal door instead, if space isn't a problem ! they all start easy glide... some stick faster than others - but pretty much all can end up stuck in the end !
some great cow shed type doors that roll on an external high up fitting - might be better, if the look would go with the rest of your decor ?! ( it's more industrial / country style )

exciting times for you !! enjoy it !!!
0 Likes   Thanked by 955reber    May 13, 2014 at 1:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
955reber
Thanks, OnePlan, for the feedback on all three accounts. I would like to be able to wipe down the island without having to walk around it, yet I also think the island will be the 'centerpiece' of the kitchen, if you will. Some of my friends are putting the cowshed doors in, but it doesn't really fit the feel of the master bedroom. Besides, I was raised on a farm, and my association with cowshed and barn doors is not so pretty! Thanks again!
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 8:56AM