Need help with my living room
snowhiteinsnow
I have got cream and pink curtains in my living room but unfortunately the fabric of sofa is brown with geometric print (Cant change coz my parents gifted me recently), I need to make things look coordinated in terms of colour. Please suggest me what type of cushions should i use or whatelse i could do to make my living room look good.
Thanks
hatetoshop
Are you wiling to change the drapes?
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 2:29AM
snowhiteinsnow
No
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:31AM
Those are funky chairs but I love the geometric print. You may not like to hear this, but rarely do pink curtains work very well in a living room. Would you be prepared to move them?

I would decorate around them adding an accent colour in maybe a light turqouoise or teal with pale beige as the2nd colour....

I would move your table to the side and add a wonderful large cream or brown subtle shade pattern carpet.

Your curtains could also be geometric in browns (just ensure the pattern reflects the 1960s vibe of your chairs, and is in a pattern that is larger or smaller than your chairs....

What about lighting? Do you have adequate lighting for reading, for ambiance etc
3 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:35AM
oops then if you are not willing to change the drapes, you will find it more difficult to work with those two elements .. I still would ask you to reconsider....
2 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:36AM
Grace Reed
Have to agree...the drapes need to go!
4 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:39AM
snowhiteinsnow
@ASVInteriors Thanks.. I liked the idea of moving the table and adding a subtle shade carpet.
Lighting is not an issue. And if changing the drapes is the only option then i can think about it
2 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:40AM
snowhiteinsnow
please give me more suggestions to decorate my room
0 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 2:49AM
I think painting your walls a colour picked up from the sofas could be very dramatic and unusual. But then bring in lighter elements like white or pale ivory in the form of cushions.

If you don't like hanging artwork, consider a tall glass vase with bleached white branches in them to contrast against the wall and bring light into the room
3 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 3:05AM
hatetoshop
You could put the sofa against the windows, and the two love seats across from one another. A larger rug -- big enough so the legs of the seating are resting on it. Agree to bring some blue/turquoise into the room (cushions, rug, wall), as well as art and a coffee table. Do you need light control and privacy on your windows?

2 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 4:11AM
bumbles12
I think your suite is very nice but the curtains really do need to be changed if you want this room to be coordinated.
4 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 4:18AM
Warner Decor
HI! Here are a few ideas:
http://deciture.com/cabrera-embroidered-accent-pillow/ (this would tie in the pink nicely)
http://deciture.com/morley-square-pillow/

Hope this helps!
1 Like   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 6:26AM
Patty Scott
you should try to move one of these sofas to another room, just too crowded.
0 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 6:39AM
The sofas are seriously cool; so is the little table. The drapes are not.

I would probably move the table to use it as a side table, but I've left it for now. The bamboo blinds and curtains are from Home Depot; about $35 each. The black shag rug is also from Home Depot. I think it was about $130 for 8 x 10.

The pillows are from homedecorators.com and were a little more pricey, but you can find similar ones elsewhere for cheaper.

The art is from greatbigcanvas.com: http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/modern-tile-art-11-2009,ml0180100/?s=VvDm8CwuxnxublXUsYvSMCIkMTHdn5UfQoLwQpFfXIQSTGrjmPNsStz9q1JArS1

That would be the most expensive item, but is probably what you should consider first if you want the room to pop.
6 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 7:35AM
doctornancy
Is there another room in your home where you could enjoy your drapes?
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 7:40AM
Timeless Design Interiors, LLC
I agree with some of the folks that said changing the treatments would be a good place to start. They don't need to be custom It would be easy to find a pretty silk-like off-the-shelf drapery in cream/ivory tones-very affordable. Use a wood rood similar to the tones in the furniture. For a pop of color infuse blue or light green, both work beautifully with brown and ivory. Bring this in with accessories such as pillows, artwork, candles etc. Paint the walls in the same shade of blue or green, or a soft neutral tone like Blanched Almond. I would add some accessories in this color as well.
1 Like   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 7:46AM
snowhiteinsnow
Thanks everyone.. I ve started looking for drapes already.. Can I keep the cream curtains and replace only the pink ones? And what if we change the fabric of sofas too?? But then which color should I use for sofa fabric?
1 Like   May 13, 2014 at 11:32AM
Patty Scott
The cream drapes could work, especially combined with matchstick blinds suggested by Grover.... I would just work with the existing sofa fabric upholstry
2 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 11:42AM
Reupholstering those sofas wouldn't be worth it; it would be more expensive than buying new furniture. Besides, if the fabric is in good condition, it's worth keeping for a cool, retro look.
3 Likes   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 12:02PM
Decorating Den Interiors
hey, Groveraxle, are you sure your're not a pro?? love the 3D makeover!!
2 Likes   May 13, 2014 at 12:28PM
SusanMac
Your existing cream curtain panels look like they have a band of pink at the top. I would start over completely. Maybe you can repurpose elsewhere. I love the idea of a dark accent wall. Please find a larger rug. I have had luck with affordable rugs at Tuesday Morning. Don't know if they are in your area. Use the round table as a side table and look for larger coffee table. If you are on a budget, they are fairly easy to find at thrift stores, then paint for a different look. The new matte "chalk" paints are very easy to use with no sanding or priming. Good luck.
1 Like   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 1:03PM
bumbles12
Keep the cream part of the curtains but the pink has to go. The fabric on the sofas is quite nice I would try and work with fabric.
1 Like   Thanked by snowhiteinsnow    May 13, 2014 at 4:15PM
snowhiteinsnow
Thanks Groveraxle for the wonderful 3D makeover.. :)
1 Like   May 14, 2014 at 8:43AM
Need help with my grey oak flooring for My Bed room, Hallway and Living room?
Jus decided with my grey oak flooring - now tooo confused...
tejupar
Need help deciding the color of my living room next to my bold dining room
My dining room is a lime green with a white accent...
Uva Sizer
How to refinish my French provincial bedroom set.
Hi, I just found this website and I LOVE it. Anyway...
Katie Varga
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
Help Me Decorate for 50th Anniversary Dinner
Hi artists! I know this isn't the typical Houzz post,...
chipmunkmom
Slipcover for Eames fiberglass chair
I am looking for a talented upholsterer or seamstress...
wanjess
Home Office / Guest-room Decorating Dilemma
I am stumped at what to do with the wall over the futon...
colmnewhouse