Any suggestions if I should go for a traditional or geometric rug pattern for my living room?
Chanel
This is not the most updated furniture. My sofa is expresso brown and curtain and other decor is sage/olive green.

I am thinking of selecting a sage green rug something like this http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Sakura_Area_Rug/860/

Any other suggestions or tips? The issue I am having is that I need a sqaure rug so not many options available.
bepsf
Why do you need a square rug?
Why not select a rectangular rug and allow it to run under the seating - that would give you so many more options.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:19AM
Chanel
The rectangular rug does not fit well. The standard available sizes don't fit in well, some are too small and some are too big. I would like to have a rug which covers the seating area.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:21AM
LisaSadie N
Try a bigger rectangular rug but ground it with the furniture so it does not appear to be floating. Will bring all together.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 1:14PM
Chanel
I have tried and has not worked. The size that works best is 7x7 or 7.5x7.5 so a rectangular rug of standard size has not helped
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 1:16PM
LisaSadie N
Can't see the other part of room so hard to tell. Could you turn an 8 x 10 in the opposite direction of the one you have now. or Is there enough room to turn sofa facing the fireplace with two chairs flanking each side?
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:10PM
LisaSadie N
If so, bring it in close and make it cozy with a sofa table on the back side and then try rug.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:11PM
bepsf
The point of the larger rug is not only to broaden your options - but visually connect your seating with the rug which is now floating.

As your sofa is roughly 7' long, you can easily do an 8x10
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:14PM
Chanel
@bepsf- I agree with you, the reason I dont have space for a 8x10 rug is because the 10ft side of the rug does not fit well on the 7ft width of the sofa as there is not enough space, and if I place it in the other side I am going to get a love seat so its almost looks like the rug is too big. Any other suggestions or tips? I am really in a dilemma about th rug size selection and the color.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 2:25PM
bepsf
Rather than a loveseat - consider a pair of armchairs with an end table and lamp in between - and run the rug longways perpendicular to the face of the fireplace so that the short ends are beneath the sofa and chairs.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 3:40PM
LisaSadie N
Are you getting a loveseat that matches the sofa? Whether it does or not - I would not go this route. Reconsider and get chairs in the appropriate size. Sofa and loveseat reminds me of the 90's when everyone would buy the sofa, loveseat, and matching end tables and coffee tables. Take another pic and show us another angle.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 7:02PM
htown
To get a "custom size" you can order a 7x9 or 8x11 and have it trimmed by a carpet installer, they typical surge it. It's not that expensive and opens up your options.
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 7:14PM
Chanel
Thanks for all the tips. But my question is any recommendation on going for a oriental or contemporary rug? As far as the color goes I'm thinking of sage and little shade of brown since that will compliment the chocolate brown sofa?
    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:04PM
oneshoecan
When you look through your ideabook, are you more drawn to contemporary or oriental? And do you want to stay within the present style of your home or are you moving in a new direction? With that said, there are some contemporary rugs with great texture, high/low, and even patterns. One with a wave like or circular flow in the pattern would be wonderful in that room I think. Oriental rugs can be fabulous too - like jewels on the floor. There are tons of choices at all price points with beige, brown, sage or even touches of blue-greens or reds depending on your personal favorite colors. I think you are spot-on to pick the rug first and pull colors and the rest of your design from your final choice. Best wishes on your hunt and have fun!!
1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:55PM
ajl029
Why not get broadloom and have it cut to any size - there are beautiful wools that look very rich and even have borders.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 4:29AM
B Fein Interiors LLC
As ajil029 said, a piece of broadloom custom-sized is probably your best solution, and you can have a rug fabricator attach a border made of:

1) fabric (needlepoint or heavy-weight)
2) leather, or
3) ultrasuede.

I think you should keep the field a light neutral and the border a pattern with brown and green in it.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 11:25AM
Mona Ives
contemporary rug - and yes broadloom is a great idea. Have you lookat FLOR? www.flor.com. These can be custom cut and sized and give you lots of sizes and options.
    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 11:31AM
MSheldon Designs, LLC
Recently had a fabulous area rug made for a client, neutral herringbone pattern that I borndered with a rich gray/green cloth border, and it was made the exact size they requested. (Shaw Carpet) There are mahy sisal patterns and they even make wool sisals that are much softer. I would also suggest looking at photos in magazines to get a visual on rug sizes used in rooms. It is generally better visually to uses a larger rug than a smaller rug and it will make the room appear larger. Place all of your furniture on the rug, or as much of it as possible. Stay neutral with the rug and then pillow up your sofa with fun colorful fabrics for impact. Good luck!
    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:23PM
cmjackman
Why not try a geometric rug with red in it to add color to room. Maybe red and white chevron? Or something with ikat print
    Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 7:45PM
jo_mcvicker
It really does need some color and I see a scale problem between the sofa, ottoman and rug.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 5:24AM
Chanel
@jo_mcvicker-I agree with you,this is not my current furniture layout its from the person who lived here before me. I am still waiting on my furniture to come.
MSheldon Designs - I have decided to cross out the traditional rug since having a big size might not do justice to showing the patter. I rather go with a neutral color rug maybe just a little bit of floral pattern to it. I am still not completely sold on the sisal rug idea.
I am thinking of going for a beige/light brown color rug and then adding some fun color pillows to the sofa.
    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 9:14AM
Stephanie Reavis
I think you should go with a geometric pattern, preferably one without a lot of angles. Something 'softer' like a trellis pattern. It would help balance all of the squareness of the room (i.e. fireplace, windows, picture frames, etc...).
    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 9:22AM
Rebecca
I also think you should go with a geometric pattern. I am thinking it would modernize the area a bit more updated other than flowers. I alway keep a few different types of accesories on hand because sometimes its great just to change up a space to make it look different. (I was thinking if you went with a horizontal or Oval type of rug it may make your space look longer in general. A green and red or red orange, a blue go great with a Chocolate color I think. Makes the space pop! ;)
    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 10:57AM
sammy3283
Hi, have you considered putting the couch facing the fireplace with a glass console or wood console behind it and putting two side chairs one on the left and one the right then get a fluffy white or beige rug in front of couch with a glass and iron coffee table or one that matches the console, nice room has alot of potential i would put a striped navy blue and white pillow on the brown couch and get two white linen chairs with some wood on them
    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 1:27PM
LisaSadie N
sammy3283 - that is what I voted - move the couch.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 2:03PM
Chanel
Here are some recent pictures, excluding the chair (which we don't have).
Please provide suggestions on rugs, coffee table, mantel decor.
We have just moved into this house so there is lot of stuff to be done. But ideas are more than welcome.
    Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 8:22AM
sammy3283
I agree I thing rectangular would be best and solid so you can use over the years. I bought a rectangular jute rug , a 9 x 12 for my living room at World Market on line. I love it and it was free shipping. When you first get it it smells funny, but the smell goes away after a couple of days.
Good luck !
    Bookmark   October 15, 2014 at 9:13PM
bgfuqua
much older post
    Bookmark   October 15, 2014 at 10:06PM
Should it stay or should it go?
This the fireplace in our new home. It was handmade...
Jackie Confer
Should I stay or should I go? Said the rug
I just received my rug to go in the dinning room. Table...
immunigirl
Suggestions for color of granite countertops I should go with!
Getting ready to do a remodel of kitchen and we are...
dawnfuecker
Which door handles should I go with?
I'm remodeling my kitchen with all new medium maple...
corina313
Wall Decorating Dilemma?
I have a split-level home. The picture you see here...
thiessek
Help style my master bedroom
Need decorating ideas - bedding to suit my wallpaper....
Nikki Trent
Need help with 70's wood wall!
My husband and I recently bought a cute 1940's fixer-upper....
Nicole Kondra
Need to update entry way space..,ideas?
My entry way needs an update. It's a small area, but...
retrogirl73
Help! I inherited Granny's Living Room
I just moved into a new house with a bit of a monotone...
Jai Shannon