Need help with our new fixer-upper kitchen!
05210521
We just bought this fixer-upper house and as you can see, the kitchen is lacking...everything!
I am overwhelmed with having to chose everything from cabinet color, countertop color, flooring, and wall color, due to the grey fireplace that takes up almost one whole wall in the kitchen/dining area.

Since the kitchen is kind of narrow (12ft wide) I want to be careful not to make it look too dark.
We are not going to replace the brick on the fireplace, nor paint it, so we need to find colors that work with and compliment the fireplace as is (the mantle will be changed though, probably to coordinate with the cabinet or countertop color). We will be extending the new cabinets and designing more of an L-shape and the upper cabinets will go to the ceiling, some with glass doors. Our appliances will be either black or white since neither of us care for stainless steel. My fiancée and I are not really keen on white-white cabinets, but none of the many wood tones seem to work with the fireplace color either..maybe an antique white with some undertones? Like I said, I'm overwhelmed at the possibilities! As far as flooring and countertop color, I am leaning towards oak wood floors and black or white countertops, something simple. But I am open to any suggestion!

The style I am going for is more of a country/traditional. Our table is a long farmhouse style, black with med. oak top w/Windsor arm chairs and our buffet is a similar style/color and I have a lot of white accent pieces for the mantle, table and buffet.

This is my first ceiling to floor remodel and all suggestions are welcome...and pictures would be wonderful!
apple_pie_order
Have the stone fireplace cleaned professionally before you start choosing colors.

If you have dimensions, you can draw up a floor plan using the Ikea online kitchen planner. Quick and easy.

Have you settled on a budget range?
May 14, 2014 at 11:38AM     
05210521
Right now we have a pretty much unlimited budget. I will check out the Ikea floor planner..thanks! Having the fireplace cleaned inside and out is definitely on our "to-do" list (we just closed on the house and will be slowly moving in and doing renovations).
May 14, 2014 at 11:54AM   
Panache Interiors & Events, LLC
Congrats on the purchase! I agree a floor plan would definitely assist - it helps when taking on a large project to map out ahead of time as much as possible so that it's not too overwhelming. You have a lot of light coming into that area which is great! If you don't care for white cabinetry - have you considered really, really deep colored wood tones?
May 14, 2014 at 12:07PM   
We completely transformed our fixer-upper
We purchased a house last year that needed major upgrades....
Paint color suggestions for exterior of my new fixer-upper home.
I just purchased this house and it needs a lot of work....
How should I upholster dining chairs
We have an open plan kitchen dining area with two antique...
Creaky hardwood floors
We chose Kentwood Acacia pre-finished solid hardwood...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Front doors.
What would be a good color for our front french doors?...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...