Considering painting my 4yo Woodmode cabinets
mdjn
We stained the floors in our house a dark brown and now our kitchen looks too dark. (The first picture is from before we moved in, so the floors are the original color, but you can see the color of the cabinets; The second picture is from when we stained the floors - excuse the mess, we were getting ready for a party.)

The house (and cabinets) are only 4 years old and they are good quality (Brookhaven/Woodmode) and in great shape. They are cherry with a black stain on them and I would like to paint them white. I would hire a professional to do it, but wondering if anyone has experience painting cabinets like these and has pictures of what the end result looked like?

Thank you!
N Rochelle
I'm not seeing a second photo...
May 14, 2014 at 8:10PM   
N Rochelle
It's not my personal preference, but these cabinets (profile) would look good with a subtle glaze over the white. Are you open to painting your walls a new color if you go with white cabinets?
May 14, 2014 at 8:15PM   
N Rochelle
Here is a subtle glaze on cabinets that are similar to yours:

May 14, 2014 at 8:19PM   
Ruebl Builders LLC
If you have the right people doing it it would look great with a white or cream color
May 14, 2014 at 9:37PM   
Patricia Colwell
Should be no problem but I would not glaze them, just a nice barely off white would look great with the darker floors, your kitchen will look like brand new one.I would try to match the woodwork if you can. This is a picture of Woodmode painted white, looks awesome to me.
May 15, 2014 at 5:49AM   
bluenan
Just know that even with a professional paint job there will be more upkeep involved over time. Have you considered painting just the island and replacing the dark back splash with a lighter look?
May 15, 2014 at 6:03AM     
Building Vision - Evanston, IL
Have you considered a lighter stain? Given that you've already paid for cherry, I would explore other ways of getting the place to look lighter before painting. There's also the higher maintenance as mentioned above. But if it must be, and you do it yourself, just make sure you prepare the surface very carefully and deliberately. Take a door to Home Depot and ask a pro what products he would recommend to make sure the job lasts.
May 15, 2014 at 6:19AM   
mfwolfe
Yes, you did stain the floors, but the color is not that much darker. What darkened the room is the backsplash which bluenan pointed out. That is a relatively small fix compared to painting cabinets. A light backsplash and some undercounter lighting should fix it up.
May 15, 2014 at 6:33AM     
N Rochelle
Yeah the backsplash makes everything too dark. The floors are really not that dark. I have espresso floors so I was thinking of that when you said dark. I guess the iPhone app doesn't show the second photo.
May 15, 2014 at 8:00AM   
Insulation on an Earth Home (underground)
I was the other day having a bit of a debate with my...
Need help on a kitchen wall color...
The oak cabinets will stay, and the feel is rustic...
Exterior Shutter Color Suggestion
Dear Houzz...... Help me out with any good color...
Tiny powder room remodel ! Need advice.
We recently purchased our first home. This is our first...