Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhab

who is the mirror by?How is it floating off the stone is it?

Brandy Habermehl
12 years ago
.. and what type of stone it it... beautiful.
thank you
Westlake Residence · More Info

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    12 years ago
    Stone is Carrarra marble slab on counter and 12x12 tiles cut into 6x12 tiles on wall. Mirror is simple sheet mirror cut to whatever size you want and floating on plywood backing attached to wall about 2" from edge so you don't see it. Very simple and very cheap. No frame on mirror just glued to wood backing floating.
  • Brandy Habermehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you simple and cheap is great!!
  • kelonski
    12 years ago
    So how thick would you say is the plywood backing? Beautiful job!!!
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    12 years ago
    Thank you! just use a standard piece of plywood for a small float 3/4" I believe
  • kelonski
    12 years ago
    One final question. Any concerns about doing this on a larger mirror as well? Say a 66x40" mirror. Thank you.
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    12 years ago
    It should be fine the key thing is that you don't want to hold the size of your plywood back more than about 3"-4". As long as the plywood is solid in the center of the mirror it should be fine.
  • risi
    11 years ago
    love the mirrors, how the plywood attached to the wall and how the plywood is not visible?
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    11 years ago
    The mirror is a simple cut sheet mirror without bevels floating on the tile with a piece of plywood behind it smaller than the mirror. The mirror is glued to the wood so there are not standoffs which can be very expensive. The tile is 12x12 Italian Marble cut into 6x12 and butt jointed so there is no grout line.
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    11 years ago
    the board were mounted to the drywall and the tile installer installed around it and the mirrors were glued to boards to save money instead of the holdoff hardware that is very expensive.
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    11 years ago
    The mirrors are simple sheet mirrors cut to size which are very cost effective and not bevel and stone is 12x12 carrera marble tiles cut to 6x12
  • onnawhim
    10 years ago
    How to, floating mirror
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    10 years ago
    review earlier comments to answer your question
  • gganem
    10 years ago
    what was the glue or adhesive you used. my builder says with moisture, mirror could fall/detach over time, but I love this look!
  • Brandy Habermehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The did the wood as mentioned above and made it like a "hook" if that makes sense? there is a piece of wood on the wall and then a piece on the mirror.. but I don't know the details of the glue.... hope that helps!
  • gganem
    10 years ago
    can you see anything when you look at the mirror other than mirror?
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    10 years ago
    no just mirror. It has no frame or bevel so its just a smooth piece of mirror floating.I am not sure what adhesive the builder used but havent had any troubles with the glue failing and the room is large enough to not have moisture buildup. You can always use the standoffs and drill them through the mirror and still get a floating look but the standoffs are pricey and I didn't want to see any hardware.
  • Brandy Habermehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you try to lay your head on wall you can see wood but not if you just walk by
  • PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    10 years ago
    the wood is a thin plywood and is about 2 1/2" smaller than the mirror so you do not see wood even if you walk past it. If you are concerned about that, paint the wood black and it will disappear
  • rose miller
    8 years ago

did you ever think of framing out the mirror? eg with some carrerra marble tiles or chair rail? I am considering that but am just concerned about grout lines since my fixtures are traditional and i have a chandelier style oil rubbed bronze light fixture drilled into the face of the mirror at the top.

• PRO
    Tracy Miller Designs
    8 years ago
    Take a look at earlier posts on this bathroom and it tells the stone type and info about the mirrors.
  • Deb Meyer
    7 years ago

I'm currently doing this in both of my bathrooms! Both with glasstile! Love this look! What are the sconces used here love them?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County