Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1772181

KItchin cabinets design

User
9 years ago
I am soon going to build a house, but I have no idea how the layout of the kitchen cabinets should be. I want a white kitchen and I need some ideas on how to spice it up for example tiles, back-splash etc, but the most important thing is the kitchen layout and how the cupboards should look like. I have included a scanned plan of my house. Walls are 4.2m

Comments (16)

• sarainitaly
    9 years ago
    It looks like your kitchen is already laid out...? I think I am confused on what you are asking, as far as layout. Do you want to change it? It looks like there is enough space to move things around...
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi thanx Sara. I have been on pinterest and houzz for awhile now and its overwhelming, so much to choose from, so my idea is that somebody design it for me then I just take out or replace what I want. I do have and idea especially about the backsplash but I need ideas on what lighting will work, where i can put what type of cabinet, so that when the builders come I just give them that and they can work with it. The Idea of attaching the plan was maybe somebody with time out there can design me something in google sketchup or other 3D software.
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes but that is 1 dimension so I dont really know what type of cupboards, how it will in 3D if you get what I am saying.
  • susanmitchellre
    9 years ago
    The first thing I notice is that you don't appear to have a dining room. Having designed three kitchens for my own homes, these are my suggestions. Take your house plans to a local lumber company, or kitchen design center. Most will do a set of plans, along with pricing for no charge. I would suggest that you ask your builder if you can eliminate any section of wall between the kitchen and living room in order to accommodate an island or eat-in kitchen.
    Consider how you live when it comes to laying out your kitchen. How many people will be using the kitchen, how much you cook, do you want a pantry, etc. At that point, hand it over to the designer and they will provide you with renderings of the kitchen. Some even have 3D software that shows you the room in a rotation. It's not always pretty, (think old video games) it's just to give you the idea.
    Take your plans home, move things around. If you have a 24" base cabinet in one spot, but think you need drawers? Change it. If you want a trash pull-out (I highly recommend!), add one.
    Your kitchen designer will have great ideas. If they don't, try another.
    On a side note, some companies will ask for a deposit before giving you printed plans to take home. The deposit will go towards the purchase of the cabinets. Don't pay unless you are committed to working with them, and truly love what they've done.
    And have fun!
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Susan where I live they do not have such services, as for plan, it was drawn according to what I can afford now and the dining room will be added later, and yes I would like an open plan area.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Hi Sarah - you could use a concept planning service like I offer maybe ?! It's all email based !
    www.oneplan.houzz.com
  • sarainitaly
    9 years ago
    I suggest either having a/hiring a kitchen cabinet maker do it, or an architect/designer, or use a tool like Ikea kitchen planner to do it yourself. They have a 3d tool that can help you design your layout. You should at least have a basic idea of what type of style/colors you want, to help someone plan your kitchen, otherwise they are just throwing ideas against a wall...
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I am disturbed that you are building a new home with no place to sit down to eat........

Each of the bathrooms could be narrower which would allow you to add more space to the kitchen which would allow you enough room for a table or an island for sitting and eating.

Another option is to eliminate the front porch and including that space into your kitchen for an eating area....

Or a combination of both to give you a really nice large kitchen............
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lampert I like the idea of removing the front porch. The architect that drew this said the bathrooms are good enough as a standard but I actually thought they were too big. As I said though the dining area will come soon after as well as a new bedroom at the back and a wic. Looking at the Plan now I really like to add that porch to the kitchen and add an island. Thanx Lampert
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Something like this may work
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    This is the outside - with seating and dining area
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    And an annotated sketch plan - have it checked to see that it complies to local code - it's just an idea to get you started !
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi OnePlan, I love your ideas. I checked out your profile and u have some nice stuff.
  • Vy
    9 years ago
    What I did planning my kitchen for my apartment was I worked out how many drawers I needed, how many shelves, and most of all I wanted a walk in pantry. With a long bench and lots of power points as I wanted all my appliances out so saves taking in and out plus the bench would serve as a food preparing area which I can close the door to if I wish. Then I did drawings for the builder.
  • Vy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I agree with Lampert one of your bathrooms looks like mine that I want to renovate looks like a waste of space . You could always have one as a walk in shower a toilet and a small vanity to make room for more living area instead. Plus 3 bedrooms are worth more than two. You could always combine the lounge, dining and kitchen will be more flowing and takes less room.