Advice on 1st floor layout
matt86
We currently live in a bungalow that is 24ft wide and 46ft long with a 2ft 8in bump out in the front. We are going to gut the first floor and put on a second story addition our plan was to have three rooms upstairs and leave one room on the first floor as a guest room/ office. We were planning on leaving the bathroom and kitchen where they are.

My main dilemma is where to put the stairs and bedroom where it would allow for an open kitchen/dinning and a larger living room. I have moved everything around a million times but cannot come up with a good floor plan that flows smoothly through the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I think I am stuck thinking a certain way at this point and it could use a fresh take.

Thanks
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Have you considered hiring an architect ?

Adding a second floor is complicated and a good design is very important. It isn't just the design; it is also the knowledge of the structure and how to support the second floor.

If you can find a talented architect in your area, they should be able to work magic for you.

We often design second story additions to bungalows and you would be amazed at the incredible results that you can have with the expertise of an architect.
May 15, 2014 at 4:53am   
matt86
I currently have an architect, but am not particularly happy with the layout as of now, so I am trying to get some ideas to bring to the table.
May 15, 2014 at 5:04am     
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Where are you located ? It's sad that you haven't been able to find an architect that can give you what you want.........

It is difficult to understand what your existing floor plan looks like from the drawing that you have posted. It would be helpful to see a site plan and to know what your restrictions are...
What does the existing house look like ?

Can you add a front porch ? Do you have a nice back yard ? I wouldn't block the view to the back yard with the stairs.....

We like to open up the house to get in lots of light and air and we like to create lots of indoor outdoor interaction.........

We have so much fun when we design a second floor addition and remodel of the first floor and our clients love the results.......Here are two examples of the AFTER and the BEFORE......

If you post more information I will try to help you........
May 15, 2014 at 5:19am   
matt86
I live in Chicago. We both must live in the city due to our jobs. This area is very nice though. It is down the street from a park, and has some of the best schools in the city.

We have thought about putting a front porch that runs about 6ft deep and spans the entire width of the house, there have been a lot of these done by our contractor in our neighborhood and they do look very nice.

The stairs going to the basement can not be moved. The basement was just finished last year and after spending all that money I would hate to tear part of it up. Our backyard is small though due to it being a city lot. We have a back deck that I plan to put a roof on during the construction. There is also an old big garage that needs to be torn down. I plan on redoing the backyard after we finish the house so we can have more area to entertain.

I will add some pictures for you.
May 15, 2014 at 6:03am   
matt86
proposed layout
May 15, 2014 at 7:16am   
ppf.
Layout needs to be an image, not a PDF.
May 16, 2014 at 6:39am   
Paint advice - 1st Floor LR makeover
I am ready to start my DIY makeover of my 1st floor...
1st time gardener seeking advice
I have recently purchased my first home- townhouse...
I need to enlarge 1 bath, & new laundry room 1st floor.
Bathroom small, needs strorage, higher sink, and a...
Dining room help
Painted my dining room Benjamin Moore's" tea light...
can't decide on which granite
My cabinets are white and I have oak floors with a...
Area next to entry way - need good ideas
Still in the process of remodeling the house, and there...
What would you do with this awkward entry hall?
This hall is long, narrow and HIGH! Son wants to do...